Rhodie

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

First clip of Kelly Bishop as Fanny.

MaryM47

MaryM47

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

OMG - the clothes, the hair - so not Emily. The attitude - Emily all the way. Can't wait!

lulu1960

lulu1960

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

Mary, I agree with your assessment of Kelly. But, is ASP trying to make Sutton a Lorelai 2.0? She's in shorts and cowboys boots ala The Lorelais First Day at Chilton.

MaryM47

MaryM47

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

Oh, lulu, how did I miss that?! Went back to take a look - yep, that's Lorelai's look all right, right down to the crazy t-shirt. It is nice to see Cameron again - I've always liked Alan Ruck.

Starhviewer

Starhviewer

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

Did anyone else notice the jeep on the promo? I really hated seeing the actress with the long dark hair tucking her hair back like Lorelai. Doesn't ASP have any new ideas? Although I love Kelly Bishop I still don't trust ASP so I'm not planning on watching this show.

Edited by Starhviewer, May 5, 2012 @ 8:15 PM.

javajunkie86

javajunkie86

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

I am still bitter towards ASP myself the way she wrote long lost daughter storyline to come in between Luke and Lorelai. Sometimes I wonder if she did that on purpose to get back at the network. She was leaving and she didn't care about the characters anymore.

Anyway, yea I guess ASP is either writting what she knows or it is more like can't be original anymore. I am debating on whether or not I will watch.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

I am still bitter towards ASP

I actually have the opposite problem; while I'm not thrilled with some of the later seasons' characterizations and storylines (especially Rory committing Grand Theft Yacht-o and the subsequent Lorelai/Rory rift, but other things as well), overall I still adore the show so ardently that I'm afraid AS-P's subsequent projects will all feel like GG-Lite letdowns by contrast. Sutton's character seeming suspiciously Lorelai-ish doesn't do much to quell my fear that I'll be constantly comparing Bunheads to AS-P's (IMO) brilliant, heart-capturing GG, and that poor Bunheads will fail to measure up. There's a fine line between having a unique style as a writer/creator and merely replicating certain things over and over with minimal success. It'll be interesting to see if AS-P can capture some of the wit, insight and subtle poignancy that made GG my favorite show of all time while still making Bunheads an original feeling show with its own unique strengths. It'll also be interesting to see whether the show can rise above its cringe-inducing title. ;)

Edited by MsTaken, May 6, 2012 @ 11:43 AM.

MaryM47

MaryM47

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Did anyone else notice the jeep on the promo? I really hated seeing the actress with the long dark hair tucking her hair back like Lorelai. Doesn't ASP have any new ideas?

Maybe this is how it went down:

We all know that Lorelai's jeep is in pretty good shape since it just got a new engine a few years ago. But it's been languishing in the garage ever since the twins arrived and she and Luke bought the minivan. Also, while suffering through a Hartford Ballet fundraiser with Emily, Lorelai met a young dancer visiting from New York, and the two of them were so much alike that they became fast friends. Lorelai had planned on handing down the jeep to Rory, but when she and Jess announced that they had a little one on the way, Richard insisted on buying them the new Prius C. Then, Lorelai's dancer friend told her she was getting married and moving to California. Since she had lived in NY, and used public transportation, she didn't have a car, and didn't want to borrow a car from her new family in case she crashed it though a wall or drove it off a hill, so she bought the jeep from the Danes. As Luke handed her the keys at the going away party they threw for her, he recalled how difficult it can be getting to know your spouse's family, and wished her well with her new mother-in-law.

deepfriedcake

deepfriedcake

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Mary, I bow at your feet!

This is fantastic. From now on I will believe it did indeed happen just like that.

MaryM47

MaryM47

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

L&L are EW mags' #2 out of 30 will-they-or-won't they couples.

lulu1960

lulu1960

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

I love that L/L still make lists. The blurb was right on the money.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

I'm actually looking forward to Bunheads, for two main reasons: 1. Kelly Bishop dancing! and 2. Amy's dialogue.

Watching the clips of Bunheads has inspired some GG nostalgia in me, and I've dragged out my old DVDs for the first time in ages. A show like Gilmore Girls is a bit of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it was an incredible show with an iconic character in Lorelai Gilmore -- on the other hand, everything the writers and actors ever do will be compared to their work on Gilmore Girls. It's unfortunate for an actress like Sutton Foster, too, who will never be Lauren Graham but will be compared to her for as long as Bunheads is on thee air.

chants

chants

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:38 AM

CNN article "Happy Mothers Day to TV's Favorite Moms".

http://www.cnn.com/2...html?hpt=hp_bn9

#2 might seem familiar ;)

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

Thanks for posting that, Chants! I'll never tire of seeing Lorelai/Lauren Graham praised, though I have to say that list lost some credibility for me when I saw that the Modern Family mothers were listed first. And now I'm wishing we'd seen Mother's Day celebrated in a GG episode...anyone feel like whipping up a Mother's Day fanfic?!

deepfriedcake

deepfriedcake

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

And keeping it in the family, #6 is Lorelai the First, Marion Ross!

MaryM47

MaryM47

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

anyone feel like whipping up a Mother's Day fanfic?!

Lucky for us, a few people already have:

A Mother's Independence Day - so sweet

Carnations Red Carnation White - so sweet, sad - and naughty - you've been warned

lulu1960

lulu1960

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

I always read Carnation Red Carnation White on Mother's Day

MaryM47

MaryM47

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

Tweets from TV columnist @televisionary about Bunheads:

Jezebel was a disaster, but half of it was the format. Happy to see her return to one-hour dramedy.

Stars Hollow + beach x Miss Patty's dance studio - teenage daughter.

Bunheads: most Gilmore Girls-esque show since Gilmore Girls. Sam Phillips musical cues? Check. Kelly Bishop? Check. Idyllic community? Check

MaryM47

MaryM47

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

Random tweet from TV critic Alan Sepinwall:

Dave Rygalski is a name I have not thought of in years.

L&L made another best of TV list -TV Guide's Best TV Couples of all time.

MaryM47

MaryM47

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

With all of this talk about Dan Harmon being fired from Community, several TV critics have compared his leaving with other show runners leaving their shows, including several mentions of ASP:

From Matt Roush at tvguide.com

Replacing the showrunner on a show with a narrative voice as unique and distinctive as Harmon's seems bound to alienate its cult audience. I've been trying to think of examples that would hint at a glimmer of the logic here Gilmore Girls was on the decline when Amy Sherman-Palladino left, but still, you could feel the difference.

From Alan Sepinwall at hitfix.com

Amy Sherman-Palladino created "Gilmore Girls," and it was clear from every script she wrote and every interview she gave that Lorelai Gilmore was an extension of Sherman-Palladino, only taller and with fewer gaudy hats. Like Sorkin, Sherman-Palladino wrote distinctive, rapid-fire dialogue that sounded very specific to her and to that show, and when she and her husband and producing partner Daniel Palladino couldn't agree to a contract for the final season, her replacement David Rosenthal could never make it sound quite the same. Rosenthal was able to put together a satisfying enough final episode, which included Rory meeting her longtime idol Christiane Amanpour, but it wasn't the finale that Sherman-Palladino would have done. (And not just because she had talked for years about the mysterious two-word sentence that she always knew would be the last line of the series.)

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

I'll always appreciate (okay, borderline worship!) AS-P for giving me my favorite show of all time, but even I think that the media tends to be a bit too generous with her in retrospect. Many of the problems that people identify with S7 were there only because the new showrunner inherited the mess AS-P had made in S6. AS-P was also responsible for what many feel was Rory's character assassination, the ever so popular and ultimately pointless Lorelai-Rory rift, making the townies markedly more shrill and less likable, and possibly even for directing certain romantic couples in a way that made them seem like they hardly could bear to be in the same room together more often than not. (ALL JMO, of course!) Honestly, I think the admittedly imperfect S7 had more of that Gilmorian warmth and life-loving sparkle than about half of S5 and nearly all of S6, and while I totally respect that not everyone shares that opinion, I do think there's a tendency among the media to simplify and exaggerate things as 'every scene that AS-P wrote and directed was Emmy-worthy; nothing DR did with S7 had any remote watchability!', which doesn't hold true to my viewing experience.

MaryM47

MaryM47

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

ew.com also listed Lorelai as one of their favorite TV moms.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

I do think there's a tendency among the media to simplify and exaggerate things as 'every scene that AS-P wrote and directed was Emmy-worthy; nothing DR did with S7 had any remote watchability!', which doesn't hold true to my viewing experience.

I wonder how many people would have noticed her absence on the show. I recall the media making a big deal about it but I didn't think the show suffered that much. I noticed a difference in the girls pop culture dialogue (which I guess came directly from Amy) but the relationship between the girls was still there and DR gave us more Stars Hollow episodes than we saw in the previous season. I think it's hard to keep the quality at the same level for a show that had been on that long. Most shows on 5 or more years tend to not be as sharp as they were in the early years.

Thanks for that link, Mary. Lorelai will always be my favourite tv mom.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

I do think there's a tendency among the media to simplify and exaggerate things as 'every scene that AS-P wrote and directed was Emmy-worthy; nothing DR did with S7 had any remote watchability!', which doesn't hold true to my viewing experience.

I entirely agree that ASP had a lot to answer for in how she left the series at the end of the sixth season. I've seen spoiled, petulant four year olds behave better when their will has been thwarted. And DR certainly appeared to have been faced with a number of difficult tasks coming into such an iconic show so late in its run. That said, for the life of me I still do not understand the choice - which I attribute to DR as the principal showrunner - which has troubled me since it first aired, namely to have Lorelai and Christopher's wedding take place ub France.

Not the marriage itself - a topic on which I have bleated interminably. The wedding. Firstly, foreigners - even gazillionaires like Christopher - can get married after a such a brief stay in France. Secondly, marriage is a civil rite in that country, not a religious one. We were told that the ceremony took place in a church.

For the remainder of the season I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. That we would learn that Christopher was so desperate to have Lorelai that he set up this bizarre charade. And that Lorelai would learn that it had been a ruse. (Kind of like Christopher trying to buy that swanky dictionary for Rory but without the money to pay for it back in the first season.) But no, their marriage ended in the conventional manner through a divorce.

Now clearly I read far too many mystery novels. But I genuinely figured the showrunners must have had some reason for injecting an absurd plotpoint into the season. I thought perhaps to have Lorelai end the show as she began it, namely as a single woman.

javajunkie86

javajunkie86

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

I despite the character of Chris Hayden forever. Don't get me started on my hatred of him. That "marriage" was not legal and never should have taken place in the first place. It was a stupid plot twist to keep Luke and Lorelai apart longer than should have been. Well, the good news is the series ended with Luke and Lorelai rekindling their romance. I will never ever watch that Paris episode. It was difficult to watch most of season 7, b/c of that absurd long lost daughter storyline that began in season 6 and Chris's presence in Stars Hollow. I was grateful for the departure of Chris and him realizing Lorelai's first choice was Luke and he would be nothing but a second choice. His behavior of storming off like a child when Richard was in the hospital and turning his phone off was a behavior of a child and proved once again he was a child trapped inside of a man's body. I blame ASP for starting this soap opera mess in season 6 and especially by the way she left the show in Partings. She left a mess for everyone to clean up in season 7. She didn't get what she wanted so she destroyed the show. It started off rocky in season 6 with Lorelai and Rory's feud and ended rocky with the destruction of Luke and Lorelai. The show was never the same for me and I still can't rewatch most of season 7 today. You think enough of years have pass would change my opinion, but nope. Thank goodness for the virtual season project and fanfic writers or else my passion for the show would have died.

deepfriedcake

deepfriedcake

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 5:49 AM

L&L made another best of TV list -TV Guide's Best TV Couples of all time.

Wow, that is one pretty, pretty picture of them. Almost makes me feel like watching...Nah.

(And not just because she had talked for years about the mysterious two-word sentence that she always knew would be the last line of the series.)

That's something I've speculated about for years. I always figured it was going to be "Thanks, Mom" or "Bye, Mom," uttered by Rory as she set off for some dazzling career. Does anyone else have a theory on what those mysterious words were going to be?

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

DFC, I've always been irrationally convinced that one of the two words was "coffee".

Dusty, even as someone who enjoyed Chris far more than most and felt he and Lorelai had more chemistry and compatibility than she did with any other male in her life, I agree with your thoughts on their poorly researched, hastily executed French marriage!

I was just trying to say that the show's missteps are often deceptively boiled down to "Everything AS-P did = perfect; everything DR did = debacle", which IMO simply isn't the case. While you guys are right about AS-P's dialogue being superior and the show having more wit and subtlety during most of (but not all!) of AS-P's reign than it did under DR, I actually think there were things DR did far better than AS-P: he softened the townies to make them vastly more lovable to me than they'd been in S5-S6; he made me like Rory more than I had since back in S4; he wrote and directed romantic couples in a way that allowed them to actually show a tiny bit of warmth and affection (and not just physical affection).

Quietquilts, ITA that there's a sort of natural erosion of most shows, and ours was not immune: very few shows retain stellar quality past four or five seasons, so maybe that's another reason why I have a more forgiving 'eh, he did well in a no-win situation' attitude towards DR's S7 than most of the media! Personally, I think the show took a fairly drastic step down in quality about 2/3 of the way through S5, when the show was still very much under AS-P's control.

Edited by MsTaken, May 22, 2012 @ 8:33 AM.

cantbeflapped

cantbeflapped

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

DFC, I've always been irrationally convinced that one of the two words was "coffee".

Oooh, I've always enjoyed speculating about the 2 words and I love this idea. I've always assumed it would be a Rory/Lorelai moment but I like a moment with coffee better! It would be appropriate since the first scene we get in the pilot involves Luke, Lorelai and coffee.

I like that DR gave us a nice memorable line from Rory to her mom in the finale...."You've given me everything I need" (or similar, that was from memory.)

Starhviewer

Starhviewer

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Many of the problems that people identify with S7 were there only because the new showrunner inherited the mess AS-P had made in S6

ITA with this. I stopped watching GG during season 6 because I didn't like what ASP had done to the characters that I loved. I thought the L/R estrangement was stupid and out of character for Lorelai (and don't even get me started on Rory stealing something....). The LLD story was just too much of a soap opera for me (and I loved soaps when I was a teen but I've grown past that). I didn't watch most of season 7 in "real time" but I eventually (once I heard that Christopher was gone) did start to watch it in real time. Was it as good as the early seasons of GG? No but it was a vast improvement over LLDs, boat-stealing college students and Mother/daughter estrangements. I think ASP's brain had left the building sometime mid-season 5. I believe most shows should end before they run out of energy. I just wish I'd been smart enough to stop watching GG at the end of season 5.

I am somewhat disappointed that Lorelai's dollhouse didn't serve as a clever ending for the show where we see a young Lorelia playing with the dollhouse and off-camera we hear Emily call for her (reminicient of the end of St. Elsewhere & the snow globe where the entire show was a figment of a child's imagination)

deepfriedcake

deepfriedcake

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

I'm back from staring at that pretty picture of L/L some more.

When DR inherited the mess from AS-P, it seems as though I recall he also got notes on how things were supposed to go for the next season. I've always wondered how much say he actually had on controlling what happened in 7. But if he did have control, I've never understood why he didn't 'fix' things as fast as possible and get back on track. Why drag the awfulness out over almost the entire season? Why subject us to the idiotic stinky episode, not to mention the even-worse knitting one? (Since the only way to protect my sanity is to pretend French Twist doesn't exist, I won't even bring that one up.) I remember how agonized I was during the entire season, because I kept thinking "There are only x number of episodes left, and there goes another one down the drain." The smart thing to do would have been to deal with the mess of 6 in the first episode and build from there. (Yes, it is possible. I made it happen in 13 days!) Instead we got scenes where Luke forgot he was a healthy eater.

Onward...

Starhviewer, as an old St. Elsewhere fan, I think the dollhouse idea is very cute!

MsTaken, I like the thought of coffee being one of the end words. It certainly would have brought us full circle.

I'm sticking with my vision of Rory leaving, Luke's arm around Lorelai's shoulders as they watch her walk towards her plane. She turns back one last time, fighting tears. "Thanks, Mom." It goes nicely along with the scene we did get, cantbeflapped, where she says "You've given me everything I need." But if I can totally go with what my ultimate fantasy would be, the final two words would come from Lorelai, and they would be "I do."