Gilmore Girls in the Media

• Please log in to reply

10869 replies to this topic

dearandgp

dearandgp

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:54 AM

The Girls gets a couple of mentions in Zap2It's "Best of TV 2003," one of them, well, indirect.

There is a selection of The O.C. as one of the best (and Adam Brody is prominently mentioned therein). In the discussion the writer notes that Kelly Rowan, who plays Mom Kirsten, is the "hottest TV mom this side of Stars Hollow." I don't mind her being second to Lauren, although I'd have Next-Door-Nina from Everwood right up there in the runnning. And, in the "Old Favorites that We Still Like" (impliedly "after all these years") Gilmore Girls is listed. Check-it-out at http://tv.zap2it.com.../...|1|,00.html

Edited by dearandgp, Jan 4, 2004 @ 3:06 AM.

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 7:03 AM

Gilmore Girls is #3 on the Ain't it Cool News list of "best-scripted hourlongs" of 2003. Here's the writeup:

Frank Capra crossed with Aaron Sorkin and piped into our homes every Tuesday for free. “Gilmore Girls” is the most consistently entertaining show currently in production. No monsters, no wizards, no guns, no kickboxing, no time travel, no bullet time. Just cool, confused, conflicted characters - Lorelai, Rory, Lane, Luke, Christopher, Paris, Kirk - and hilarious dialogue week in and week out, peppered often with generous doses of poignancy. Do you get “Brown Bunny” jokes on “JAG” or “Trading Places”?

No. You don’t.

Quent

Quent

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:23 PM

Wow -- props to Ain't It Cool News for getting it right!! That was a perfect description of GG.

dearandgp

dearandgp

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:55 PM

Thanks, sakana1. That writeup made my day brighter.

FeverDog

FeverDog

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:56 PM

GG is Entertainment Weekly's "Winner of the Week" (p. 69):

Someone put on another pot of coffee: Despite a ratings dip, The WB will bring the mother-daughter team of Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel back for their fifth season next fall.

Hooray!

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:52 PM

Here's an article about Milo Ventimiglia from Zap2it. It tends to reinforce the impression I've gotten from several other places that I'd like Milo a lot more than I like Jess.

Edited by Brahmsian, Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:54 PM.

luv2surf

luv2surf

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:14 AM

I'm not sure if this is old or not, but its a good little thing with AS-P. And now I try my first link...MSN article

Whee! That's thrilling, I hope it works!

Edited by luv2surf, Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:15 AM.

KKennedy

KKennedy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:49 PM

This was a more recent article (still trying to find source) where Milo explicitly states that he isn't interested in playing Jess anymore. It was quite interesting to read his take on Jess. Need to find...

DMW_SFU

DMW_SFU

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:21 PM

KKennedy, I'm definitely interested in reading that article. I like Milo only because I like Jess so much. I found his character intriguing. So I'd love to hear the reason that he wouldn't want to play him anymore.

Umlauts

Umlauts

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:05 AM

Milo: I just feel like we should kill Jess.

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 11:44 AM

Call me crazy but I think he sounds like an ass in that interview.

Umlauts

Umlauts

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 12:34 PM

Call me crazy but I think he sounds like an ass in that interview.

Life imitating art or art imitating life?

Edited by Umlauts, Jan 12, 2004 @ 12:35 PM.

clean

clean

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:08 PM

You're not crazy. I bet his mother is proud of that picture.

Edited by clean, Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:37 PM.

pathwatch

pathwatch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:33 PM

You're not crazy. You'd think that he would clean up his language just a little for an interview that will be printed. But, what do you expect from a guy that flips off the public. Much love to his fans, I guess.

aidanspencer

aidanspencer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:37 PM

You also can't pretend that you're a badass at the Teen Choice Awards. That's just not how it works.

Edited by aidanspencer, Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:39 PM.

DMW_SFU

DMW_SFU

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

This is from The Futon Critic's 50 best episodes of 2003:

49. "gilmore girls: the festival of living art" (wb)
originally aired: november 4, 2003

We'll just fess up to it: we love Kirk (Sean Gunn) here at The Futon Critic and this episode featured one of the funniest Kirk moments of 2003. When Stars Hollow is called upon to host the Festival of Living Art, Kirk is saddled with the role of Jesus in The Last Supper. The problem is Kirk goes way overboard with the role, getting unnecessarily upset at the man playing Judas.

They've posted only 50-41 so far, so there always could be more Gilmore Girls in the coming days.

Hiker

Hiker

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:37 PM

I'm sure he will probably learn when it is appropriate and when it is not. I actually respect Milo's honesty. I would wager a year's salary that type of language is quite common in the entertainment industry (or just about anywhere these days), especially among people his age. Just look at this site, for God's sake, that word is found everywhere! Do we even know the reason for the gesture? Don't judge unless you know the story is my motto.

catkok

catkok

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:01 PM

I don't know. Flipping off the camera at a Teen Choice Awards where there the general audience are 8-18 year olds is pretty ass-holish to me! If he wants to be taken seriously as an adult and not some badass teen heartthrob.. then he needs to start acting like an adult. Not flipping off someone like a, oh should I say, badass teen. Yes, that type of behavior is popular, but most of us have enough class to know when and when not to use it.

If it was at the MTV awards, I'd let that slide. But at the Teen Choice awards surrounded by kids.. grow up!

Edited by catkok, Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:13 PM.

Kpfm

Kpfm

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:07 PM

Well, the extended middle finger has been around at least since the time of the Roman Empire and probably before that. (Not making that up; there are records.) There's a famous photograph of the then Vice President of these here United States flipping off the crowd as he alights from his limo (it had to do with the paparazzi and his political fortunes), which created something of a minor fuss. (Which VP, you ask? Oh, all right. Nelson Rockefeller. It's on the Net; if I find a few minutes with absolutely nothing else to do I'll find a copy and link it.)

ETA OK. Here is a link to a site having the Rocky pic. Along also with pix of Courtney Love, Kurt Cobain, and numerous other folks of great, some, little, or no distinction flipping off. I note it says the finger goes back to Aristophanes. Well, makes some sense....

Of course, it is rude and vulgar; that's why it's done. But when even the Republican FCC says that it's not worth even calling a foot fault on a rocker who says it's "fuckin' amazing" (or something like that, the operative aspect being the "fuckin'") on live nationwide prime time TV, it's a little hard for me to get after Milo too much, either for his language or his finger. And as for the teener aspect of things, I suspect that's one reason Milo phrased things the way he did. A little -- very little -- shock value, and a lot of identification.

Edited by Kpfm, Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:39 PM.

clau95

clau95

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 2:57 AM

If it was at the MTV awards, I'd let that slide. But at the Teen Choice awards surrounded by kids

Those 'saint kids' have given their precious award to songs like 'Hot in Herre' by Nelly, invited (or at least have seen) Jennifer Love Hewitt to sing 'barenaked' at their show and had seen Adam Sandler give quite a particular speech. So I wouldn't worry about children running away scared when Milo did that, which BTW was in front of the photographers not the audience.

Hiker

Hiker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:28 AM

Exactly, clau95! Besides, do we even know the circumstances? It could have been in jest to a friend in the audience. We don't know, so we shouldn't judge.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 2:45 AM

Whoa! Troubling news:

THE WB LESS FOND OF 'GILMORE'

January 16, 2004 -- TROUBLE is brewing behind the scenes on "The Gilmore Girls."

The bosses of The WB - the network that carries the much talked-about show - went public this week with their displeasure at how the show is going.

Jordan Levin, the network's co-CEO, said the critically acclaimed comedy has been slow to adjust to its major plot turn this season - Rory Gilmore going off to college.

JRT

JRT

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 9:31 AM

While I admit the show has weakened, I wonder if the WB really knows how to fix it. I don't see suddenly seperating Lorelai and Rory in the plotlines will fix the problems.

My guess is the following have weakened the show:

1) Fans loved the subplots with Rory's boyfriends. They are gone now. That was a huge appeal of the show and without it Rory's plots have floundered.

2) The people who watched it for the dramatic episodes are disappointed that nothing has happened on that front. Realism has gone out the window for quirkiness.

I don't think breaking the chain between Lorelai and Rory will fix these problems--it could make things worse--although they might want to try seperate plot strings and just have a phone call.

dhb

dhb

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 10:10 AM

Regarding the New York Post article, I'm wondering what the real motivation behind Jordan Levin's comments are.

with their displeasure at how the show is going

Displeasure? They've already renewed the show for a fifth season when it isn't even halfway through it's current season. Actions speak louder than words.

And Jordan would know that although GG's ratings are indeed down from where they once were, ratings for most other established shows are also down this season and I'd bet that GG is doing pretty well, relatively.

I suspect that some sort of upcoming salary/contract renegotiation is coming up, and this is just the suit's way of positioning themselves.

Mwcdeb8r

Mwcdeb8r

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 10:17 AM

1) Fans loved the subplots with Rory's boyfriends. They are gone now. That was a huge appeal of the show and without it Rory's plots have floundered.

2) The people who watched it for the dramatic episodes are disappointed that nothing has happened on that front. Realism has gone out the window for quirkiness.

I have to admit those points make sense. There's been very little real drama this season. This might not be a popular opinion, but I enjoyed the subplots of Rory's boyfriends as much as I enjoyed the family drama and the mother-daughter bonding. Very little has happened this season. I guess I just keep watching the show because I always have and keep hoping something real will happen. It never does, and I guess it serves as amusing filler until One Tree Hill comes on. It's especially rough with the extended hiatus.

Hopefully there will actually be some actual plot development during the Spring. Might make the WB a little happier with how things are going.....

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 11:11 AM

Okay, this article has a whole different take on the problems:

Creator defends 'Gilmore Girls'

JRT

JRT

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 11:28 AM

I think we are dealing with a disagreement between the WB network and Dorothy Parker Drank Here productions about the direction of the show. I think the WB is happy with the cast but not happy with the writing.

I am glad the WB hasn't interfered in the past, but I will agree with them that the writing this season seems a bit "off", and the ratings have slipped. Critics and fans have been more vocal about their gripes this year. Amy may defend her writing, but the Coupon thing was stupid without that bit of background.

I have a feeling ASP may either leave or be removed at the end of the year unless both ratings and critical reviews improve.

aidanspencer

aidanspencer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 1:50 PM

I definately agree that the problem with the overall lack of quality from this season and last stems not from Lorelai and Rory's refusal to separate, but rather from sacrificing any good drama or character growth for the hour-long parade of ASP's quirky one-liners. I think that Lauren says it best:

"The show has always been about the two of us being together," Graham told The Post this week. "This is what people like in the show. It's hard to please everyone and let the characters grow."

You know that if they had gone their separate ways this season that everybody would be bitching about how that isn't believable for this show. I'm hoping that somebody give ASP an adavance copy of the season one DVD and that she watches it and decides to make the show a dramedy again, because that's where the magic for this show lies.

Kpfm

Kpfm

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

Whoa! Troubling news:

THE WB LESS FOND OF 'GILMORE'

I agree that there's probably some "positioning" going on here, but as has been mentioned, actions speak louder than words, and GG's renewal was the Frog's first of this season (7th Heaven got a two-year gig last year), putting Smallville and Everwood, which now both outdraw GG, and Charmed, which sometimes outdraws GG, behind the Girls in the renewal process (Charmed's renewal was just announced today).

But even staunch defenders of ASP and the need to thoroughly ground the transition to Yale (like me) have to admit that the exposition just went on, and on, and on, and, etc. Only one episode of GG made The Futon Critic's top 50 episodes of 2003 list, at the end. A risk-taking Everwood episode centering around abortion led the list. Although the acting contiues, IMO, to be stellar, Lauren Graham, Kelly Bishop, Edward Herrmann, and several others continue to go without recognition when they deserve it, and I think one reason is the difficulty the writers have had combining transitioning with real character development in interesting storylines.

They have half the season left, for practical purposes. It's my fervent hope that they've used the hiatus time not only for holidaying but for serious thought about how they're going to bring back the magic. I see some promise in the Yale arcs we've been told about, but I dunno about Digger. I think we need to get Lorelai and Sookie and Michel into that damned Inn tout de suite and get a little variety going in her life, something to occupy her attention besides Digger and Rory (Rory already has that with Yale and all, if she will just embrace it -- which she needs to do). The two don't have to exactly grow apart, but they need to develop separately, while remaining an unusual mother-daughter combo. I want the theme song ("I'll be there on the next train....") to remain accurate -- just not the only thing.

Quent

Quent

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 9:02 PM

CHEERS to WB for giving Gilmore Girls an early renewal for next season.  When Rory started college at Yale last fall, the show underwent some creative growing pains, but now the scripts are back on track.  It's good to know that, unlike Rory's mother, Gilmore fans won't be suffering from empty-nest syndrome anytime soon.

From the Jan. 17-23 issue of TV Guide. Sounds like a nice vote of confidence from TV Guide's critics.