Homoeroticism, Yay!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4423 replies to this topic

CanSpy

CanSpy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 9:53 PM

I was watching S1, "Rogue" through "Nicodemus" this afternoon with my siblings, converting them to the Clex and conditioning them to yell "Beeeeard!!" everytime Lana or Victoria shows up. Does that make me a bad big sister?

Kalen

Kalen

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 7:05 AM

On the contrary CanSpy, I think you'll find that you now automatically qualify for "Sister of the Year".

hachurui

hachurui

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:32 PM

Is there any hoyay in mystic river? Im gonna see it regardless cause i like the cast.

Also, what film do people think is the most hoyay ever, without having textual homosexuality? top gun? ben hur? spartacus? renegades? the lost boys? bad girls?

(sorry for being ot)

CanSpy

CanSpy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:39 PM

Lord of the Rings, the whole trilogy. Hands down.

tropicalgeko

tropicalgeko

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:19 AM

I was watching S1, "Rogue" through "Nicodemus" this afternoon with my siblings, converting them to the Clex and conditioning them to yell "Beeeeard!!" everytime Lana or Victoria shows up. Does that make me a bad big sister?

mwahaha too funny :)

keekee8000

keekee8000

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:10 AM

Also, what film do people think is the most hoyay ever, without having textual homosexuality? top gun? ben hur? spartacus? renegades? the lost boys? bad girls?

Murder By Numbers has an awful lot of nontextual hoyay. I don't know if it's the most ever but it could definitely be in the running.

Roger Ebert said this in his review of the movie: "Many of the best scenes involve an intellectual and emotional duel between the two young men, who seem to have paused on the brink of becoming lovers and decided to sublimate that passion into an arrogant crime."

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 5:55 PM

Lord of the Rings, the whole trilogy. Hands down.

Word. Especially Return of the King.

CanSpy

CanSpy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 8:02 PM

Not as much Legolas-Aragorn action as I would've liked, but we can't just stay camped out at Helm's Deep now, can we? And the Hobbits more than made up for it anyway.

tropicalgeko

tropicalgeko

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 8:05 PM

Murder By Numbers has an awful lot of nontextual hoyay. I don't know if it's the most ever but it could definitely be in the running.

Word. I just saw Murder by Numbers last weekend, and man was there a lot of HoYay! Through the entire movie I kept expecting them to tear each others clothes off and start making out.

Ceares

Ceares

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:04 PM

Maybe not the 'most', but certainly up there. My Darling Clementine with Henry Fonda...possibly the slashiest telling of the Doc Holliday/Wyatt Earp story. My mom who is definitely anti-slash, said she couldn't even watch it.

blarney

blarney

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:33 AM

Let's not forget Pirates of the Caribbean! Johnny Depp's drunken drag queen pirate alone ought to be worth an honorable mention. Plus, Jack seemed awfully worried when he asked Will if he was a eunuch.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:29 AM

Very true. Jack Sparrow is definitely the swishiest pirate I've ever seen. And he did have quite the crush on Will.

leaping lucas

leaping lucas

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:44 AM

I think Young Guns II was pretty slashy. All those young pretty boys, all that angst, all that hurt/comfort. And then, as you mention, Kiefer Sutherland (the young, pretty version) and Lou Diamond Philips (the young, pretty version) teamed up again for Renegades which is also sitting on my shelf somewhere. Hurt/Comfort, reluctant togetherness, male bonding and all. The Lost Boys is a definitely a big, slashy favourite.

Just came back from Welcome to the Jungle. Thought it had the potential to be really slashy, especially the scene where Beck has to help a handcuffed Travis get his penis out of his pants. It reminded me of a sort of The Sentinel on testosterone. You can always tell when one of those male buddy/buddy bonding movies is slashy because there's always a lot of male violence to counteract the slash. That makes everyone involved a lot more comfortable.

Tango and Cash with Kurt Russell and Sylvester Stallone had a great partners vibe (remember, I'm talking slash here, not great cinema). And there was a 1980's telemovie, Shooting Stars with Parker Stevenson and Billy Dee Williams as ex-TV detectives who team up after the series to start their own detective agency. Doesn't that sound like fan fiction?

Thought Zoolander was kinda slashy, in a Saturday Night Live, male model way. And Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are teaming up yet again to bring one of media history's foundation slashy couples to the screen -- Starsky and Hutch. I have high hopes that they will preserve the none-too-subtextual homoerotic subtext of the original. And I see the original actors, Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul appear in the movie as "the car salesman" and "the car salesman's friend". How slashy can you get?

Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace was considered reasonably slashy by slashophiles the world over. That master/apprentice vibe is all full of angsty, dutiful abstinence. And it didn't hurt that Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor were lovely together. And appearing as they do, highly placed on the Largest Male Actors' Dongers list, as voted by industry insiders, never hurt the fan art. Sadly, other instalments have failed to capture the magic.

What about Bulletproof Monk for more master/apprentice action? And that's two bites of the hoyay cherry for Seann William Scott.

The first Star Trek movie, was really slashy. Then they all got old and played with whales and let William Shatner direct and it all went downhill from there.

If you are prepared to visit historical texts, there is much blatant homoeroticism to be found in previous centuries, where there was no such thing as "gay". Find yourself a copy of Shakespeare's Coriolanus. In a good production, Coriolanus and Aufidius have an extraordinarily homoerotic relationship.

And I just saw some preview pictures of Oliver Stone's Alexander, due for release sometime this year. Colin Farrell as Alexander and Jared Leto as Hephaestion look incredibly, gorgeously beautiful together. All that leather and those bare thighs. And several reviews confirm that Alexander will bed both his wives and his male lover in this one .

I'm sure there are way more than this. I don't have a favourite, just a smorgasboard of contenders.

Edited by leaping lucas, Jan 3, 2004 @ 4:15 AM.

Mexx

Mexx

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 3:39 AM

Well I think Lost Boys is a must on all HoYay lists, I don't understand how no one could see it in that film. Hell, I even read a (CLex) fic where Lex saw the HoYay. Plus, you know, pretty men of the night is always gonna make me see slash, even if it's not there *g*

NikkiJ

NikkiJ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 9:58 AM

I found a fairly HoYay film earlier this year. It's called To Kill a King. It's the story of Cromwell & Fairfax and the English Civil War, set in the 1640's.

Tim Roth is Cromwell & Dougray Scott is Fairfax, also Rupert Everett is Charles I (the King in the title)

So it's basically a story of two friends and what happens when one goes a bit power mad. Both Cromwell & Fairfax were married but there is jealousy on Cromwell's part of Fairfax's wife. It's not historically accurate but good fun.

When I saw it at the cinema, it was at a small venue & the director was there, I really wanted to ask about the HoYay, but I resisted as I didn't want my friends to think of me as insane!

On C4(UK) there was a top 100 musicals programme, and people mentioned Jailhouse Rock as being very gay and Calamity Jane, but I suppose when you've got songs called 'A Woman's Touch' and 'Secret Love' it's understandable. Alex from Blur said something like "All Musicals are Gay"

CanSpy

CanSpy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:21 AM

You mean to tell me that Obi Wan...and that Captain Jack...?? Why I never!
Why, the next thing you'll be telling me Clark and his very hetero buddy Lex are shagging in the fortress of barnitude!

Ahem.

I vaguely remember one of my friends pointing out the HoYay moments in Moulin Rouge. No way in hell Toulouse was straight, and he seemed the most concerned about Pretty Boy Christian's love life.

LexClark4ever

LexClark4ever

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:37 AM

I always thought "The Shawshank Redemption" has a lot of Hoyay between Andy Dufresne and Red. There is textual homosexuality in the movie where other prisoners rape Andy, although it's not explicitly shown. The movie even ends with Andy and Red embracing as they begin their new lives in Mexico.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 11:07 AM

I watched The In-laws this weekend. It was very slashy, in a silly way. I had a good laugh out of it. I don't know if it would qualify, though, since there is actual textual Hoyay in the film, even if it was one-sided. ;)

Smallcondo

Smallcondo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 1:31 PM

I think Face Off is extremely slashy; I didn't hurt that two of Hollywood swishiest men (Nicholas Cage and John Travolta) are the stars of that movie.

Trevacious Guy

Trevacious Guy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 1:55 PM

The first Star Trek movie, was really slashy.

How about that gratitude scene 'tween Kirk and Spock in Trek 5?

Kirk: "I...thought I was going to Die."
Spock: "Not possible. You were never Alone."

Kirk moves in to give Spock a giant hug and muchas smooches

Spock: "Please, Captain. Not in front of the Klingons."

Kirk becomes aware of their surroundings and has to visibly restrain himself. But BOY, just Wait 'til he gets Spock back to the Enterprise...!

Okay, okay, they're just hetero-lifemates... ;)

TGC-64

TGC-64

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:59 PM

The earliest slash-fic has to the the Illiad, which if I remember correctly opens with the statement that "...this is the tale of the wraith of Achilles". And what's his main beef? That Paris the Trojan killed, and more importantly humiliates the corpse of Achilles' boyfriend, Patroclus. He and the bf spend half the tale "sulking" in their tent; but once the bf's slain and dishonored, the trojan heads' start to roll.

It's one of the real reasons that high schools usually avoid the Illiad and instead teach the Odyssey of the safely-hetro Ullysess. I wonder how Brad Pitt's Achilles is going to deal, or not deal, with the bf-issue.

Edited by TGC-64, Jan 3, 2004 @ 6:59 PM.

Blairish

Blairish

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:50 PM

I wonder how Brad Pitt's Achilles is going to deal, or not deal, with the bf-issue

That would be a big fat not deal TGC, they're actually going to portray Patroclus as Achilles COUSIN. How crazy is that?!

Edited by Blairish, Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:50 PM.

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 6:33 PM

That would be a big fat not deal TGC, they're actually going to portray Patroclus as Achilles COUSIN. How crazy is that?!

They try to portray Clark and Lex as brothers and they're still pretty gay, so maybe not all hope is lost.

Phishtar

Phishtar

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:20 PM

I had a professor who described the Iliad's plot as "Achilles gets pissed." Heh. At least both Alexander movies appear to be dealing with the actual historical reality... wonder if they'll get mentioned on Smallville?

Murder By Numbers's two little creeps were based on the real-life Leopold and Loeb murder case, also done with plenty of HoYay in Alfred Hitchcock's Rope.

mobiusklein

mobiusklein

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:40 PM

If you want Hoyay, anime has tons of it. Oh, about the cousin thing, they did the same thing to Sailor Uranus & Sailor Neptune in the dubbed versions. And they're not cousins at all.

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:42 PM

At least both Alexander movies appear to be dealing with the actual historical reality... wonder if they'll get mentioned on Smallville?

There's been a sad lack of AtG references on Smallville lately. I know there were some in season 1 (the most FABulous being the breastplate) but were there any in season 2? Since Lionel is as fond of literary and historical references as Lex, he really needs to mention Hephestion when talking about Clark.

Edited by Cyb, Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:44 PM.

megan

megan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:44 AM

There's been a sad lack of AtG references on Smallville lately. I know there were some in season 1 (the most FABulous being the breastplate) but were there any in season 2? Since Lionel is as fond of literary and historical references as Lex, he really needs to mention Hephestion when talking about Clark.

They started getting happy with Biblical references instead. ::Casablanca tune::Still you must remember this a kiss is still a kiss, even if its a Judas kiss.

Tigrrr

Tigrrr

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 5:46 AM

Oh, about the cousin thing, they did the same thing to Sailor Uranus & Sailor Neptune in the dubbed versions.

Thankfully, not in ALL dubbed versions. We got TEXT. (German version)

Topic? For anyone who has seen Drone:

I was watching the MTV music video awards the other day and there were the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy guys and a straight guy and they were arguing that he was gay and he was defending his hetero-dom. It went something like this:

Queer Eye Guy: Honey, not when you're wearing that suit! Who's it from?
Straight Guy: Dolce & Gabbana
QEG: See? A straight guy wouldn't have known that!!

Edited by Tigrrr, Jan 4, 2004 @ 5:51 AM.

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 7:07 AM

QEG: See? A straight guy wouldn't have known that!!

I miss Lex's fashion awareness. "Dolce & Gabbana" in Drone, the "$2000 coat" in Red. Maybe he's been too busy to keep up with the trends.

TGC-64

TGC-64

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:44 PM

Other than Lex who has them delivered via Fed-Ex, who else in Smallville KS reads GQ and Details? ....At least now that Whitney's gone?

I have this picture of future-Clark driving Lex's personal tailor insane with demands to make it at least look "...off-the-Tarjay-rack".

Edited by TGC-64, Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:58 PM.