"Angel" in the Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1087 replies to this topic

babybluez

babybluez

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 9:24 PM

Hee! I love DB.

Cannibal

Cannibal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 9:37 PM

Vincent on Connor's "Angel" Fate

No actual specific spoilers (or any spoilers), but if you want to remain 100% spoiler free I'd avoid it.

CCR

CCR

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 8:51 PM

Eve slithering away as a lizard works for me, just as long as it happens soon. I don't know who's doing the PR for the show, but I wish they'd pay attention to stuff like the complaints about ST's irritating *speaking* voice and not angle a story around how she wants to *sing* on the show. Cause that's scary AND mean.

I'm also waiting to see if there's a cranky official response to AD's remarks about the show needing a redhead, since they must have been made as said redhead was waiting to hear if she got the job on the West End this winter.

Edited by CCR, Jan 1, 2004 @ 9:07 PM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 7:53 PM

I doubt we'd hear anything of that nature from Joss - my impression is that Alyson is his all-time favorite among Mutant Enemy performers, almost on a familial level.

canababy

canababy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:16 PM

I just found an article at MSN Entertainment that lists the most daring shows of 2003 and lo and behold Angel is number 3! I couldn't believe it. Rightfully they concentrated on season 4 because season 5 just sucks. Also check out The Wire. It really is the best show on HBO I promise you.

TanTan

TanTan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:33 PM

I just found an article at MSN Entertainment that lists the most daring shows of 2003 and lo and behold Angel is number 3! I couldn't believe it.

Fantastic. Herc at AICN just cited it as one of his faves of 2003 as well. I'm glad to see it get such accolades, particularly during the current season, which is one of its most adventurous and inventive, if not always successful.

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:28 AM

I've always wondered where Herc gets his particular brand of crack. The fact that he singled out "Life of the Party" for particular praise makes me want to weep in despair.

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:04 AM

The MSN article was mentioned on the previous page.

Please read current posts in the topic before posting.

FriscoChick

FriscoChick

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:30 AM

I want that crack brand too, pootlus. I'm particularly bummed because I think his assessment of Alias's currently uneven and problematic season is, IMO, fairly perceptive, but he thinks this is Angel's best season for reasons that remain incomprehensible to me. "Life of the Party" is the best episode so far--ooookay.

HellKitten

HellKitten

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:33 PM

TV Guide: Angel's James Marsters Rocks On

I'm so happy I don't have to go look for projects like all my friends from Buffy do.

"I didn't realize that, singing for rock, you have to sing loud.

I've got to stand a certain way, spread my ribs and really let it out!"

Bwah! I luv this guy

Edited by HellKitten, Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:37 PM.

EONdc

EONdc

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:48 PM

I'm so happy I don't have to go look for projects like all my friends from Buffy do.

This was a joke, right? Right? Because if not, it's kind of snotty. Especially since his most of his friends have multiple films lined up, sitcom deals with major networks, and starring roles in West End plays and musicals.

Chase82

Chase82

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:31 PM

He goes on to qualify the remark:

I'm sure they'll find them, but I've got my plate full right here and I love it."

James is generally very tactful about his co-stars, past and present. I doubt very sincerely he intended to insult anybody.

namrog

namrog

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:47 PM

Zap2It article about Lindsey's return. Quotes from Kane and Boreanaz about working together. Nothing spoilery that I can see, but I'm not the best judge, so read at your own risk.

Edited by namrog, Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:49 PM.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:02 PM

There is nothing in the Zap2It article that fits Strega's spoiler policy, but those who are Buffy-style spoiler phobes (such as myself--my eyes!!) will want to avoid it.

Grom

Grom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:29 PM

"It's good to have Christian back," Boreanaz says. "He's my bud. It's all good. He's a great guy. I have fun with him, the tiny Texan. I was the one who recommended it. I told Joss [series executive producer Joss Whedon] to bring him back. I told Christian I wanted him back. I initiated it at the beginning of this season, and it came to fruition."

Ahh so it was David's idea to bring Lindsay back. My love for David just keeps growing and growing. Although it gives me pause that it is the star and not the writers or Joss who came up with the best idea of the season.

sarcasmdetected

sarcasmdetected

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:55 PM

Re: the Vincent Kartheiser interview: I didn't think that Tim Minear was still that actively involved in Angel's production.

Re: Herc's assessment of "Life of the Party"; maybe he was also a big Tick fan. As someone in the episode thread mentioned, it is far more palpitable if you think of it with Edlund's 'style' in mind.

Edited by sarcasmdetected, Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:00 PM.

FriscoChick

FriscoChick

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 6:12 PM

I like the way the Christian Kane article gives some Lindsey backstory for new viewers who may be scratching their heads and saying "Lindsey who?".

But I told them, I didn't want to get beat up by chicks anymore. I still would have done it, even if he said, 'Every girl on the show's going to beat you up,' I would have said, 'No problem,' because I still want to work with him, and I still want to work with Boreanaz.

Heh. Fortunately for CK, both of the women currently on the show in any regular capacity could be blown over in a strong wind.

There are a number of quotes from Angel, mostly from last season, among tvgal's favorite quotes from 2003.

Baby Girl

Baby Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 8:47 PM

I love that David calls CK 'the tiny Texan'. That's so cute!!

As far as James comments go, considering that he has done almost nothing but Spike the past 6 years and shows zero ambition or where with all to change that, I think he'll probably find himself with his plate very much empty after Angel finally ends.

Ever since he joined the cast, he's been making snide and bitchy comments about his co-workers and it really makes him look tacky and rude.

Freya

Freya

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:23 PM

Ever since he joined the cast, he's been making snide and bitchy comments about his co-workers and it really makes him look tacky and rude.

Hmmmm....he's kind of a geeky guy, but I've always seen positive comments from him about his co-stars, past and present, he's damn near effusive.

Teenes

Teenes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:35 PM

I'm sorry, what? Being a Spike/JM fan, I tend to go out of my way to read articles about him and I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about here. The comment above IMO was more a comment on his own lack of desire to actively start the looking for new work/audition process again than a snide comment about his colleagues' ability to get work. He has a steady job and doesn't have to worry about finding work. Most of the time, work isn't just handed to you unless you're a superstar, and even then, you have to worry about picking and choosing jobs, reading scripts, etc. If there's anything I've noticed about JM's comments wrt to his fellow castmembers, the writers, etc, it's that he understands that there's nothing to gain from denigrating the people he works with. I've actually thought it was funny and maybe a bit forced at times, the extent he'll go to to say nice things about people. Or what Freya said, in less words. I'm curious what comments you're referring to.

As for showing zero ambition to do anything but Spike - he clearly loves the character, the writers, and the shows (from his interviews I get the impression he watches both shows, with or without him in them - for instance, he talks about the wonderful performance SMG gives in IWRY frequently) and loves having a steady job. But he also signed on to do Venetian Heat and has done a couple other movies/TV shows/plays over his run on BtVS. Right now, he seems to have a commitment to his band in whatever time he's not spending on AtS - it's not necessarily where I think he should spend his time, but his time is his to spend. He may or may not be able to find TV/movie work when AtS finishes, who knows? But I don't think his commitment to his work on BtVS and AtS necessarily show a lack of "wherewithall."

In other news, I loved the CK article. Very fun and interesting. Thanks for the link, namrog =).

Edited by Teenes, Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:37 PM.

Chase82

Chase82

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:36 PM

As far as James comments go, considering that he has done almost nothing but Spike the past 6 years and shows zero ambition or where with all to change that, I think he'll probably find himself with his plate very much empty after Angel finally ends.

Alexis Denisof hasn't done that much outside AtS, either. Neither has Nick Brendon, and he's doing fine post-Buffy--he's already done one TV movie that I know of, as well as a pilot that unfortunately didn't get picked up. And it's not like Charisma Carpenter was exactly burning up the airwaves apart from AtS when she was a full-time cast member, and she's been attached to several projects since exiting. I think it's hard to gauge how someone's career will go until they've actually tried to do something outside their established series.

I'd be really interested to see the interviews you're referencing, since in all the ones I've seen--such as the recent one where he talks about DB's skills as a director--he's been extremely gracious. In fact, I'd be interested to see any interview from the past six years where he's been anything but nice about his fellow ME employees. In fact, he has such a reputation for being diplomatic, that I've seen him referred to as a "kiss ass" in certain quarters.

While I certainly don't think the man is perfect, targeting him as a bad co-worker isn't exactly aiming for one of his better-known vulnerable areas.

Edited by Chase82, Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:43 PM.

roguetamlin

roguetamlin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:08 PM

Alexis Denisof hasn't done that much outside AtS, either

I beg to differ. AD is more of a character actor and has been in a lot of British productions, so he isn't as much of a name as JM, but his resume is nothing to sneeze at: Alexis Denisof.

I think JM just gets more press because he's a ham. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Chase82

Chase82

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:15 PM

No arguments on JM's hammishness. But as far as pre-ME resumes go, I believe JM did quite a lot of stage and such as well. What I was referring to more was projects done while also working on BtVS or AtS. Going by the IMDB resume you posted, AD hasn't done much else since signing on for the role of Wesley full-time in late 1999.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with concentrating on one role at a time--not every actor wants a career like SMG's. If AD hasn't done much since scoring his full-time gig on AtS, that's definitely his prerogative. Same goes for JM.

Edited by Chase82, Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:28 PM.

YME

YME

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:53 AM

(snip)

Edited by YME, Feb 19, 2008 @ 4:43 PM.

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:28 AM

Topic. Now.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:48 AM

I loved that CK article. I rarely see/read interviews with him, but he always seems so grateful all the time.

I'm just imagining him and James singing and playing guitars in the trailer. I'm frankly surprised it didn't combust!

Edited by Screamie, Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:53 AM.

ostentatious

ostentatious

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:51 AM

Re: JM's comment. He referred to his "friends" from Buffy, not "all the other Buffy actors". If I referred to my friends from the office, I wouldn't be referring to every single person who works in my office - I'd be referring to about three people. I know he does a lot of cons with the actor who played Clem, who isn't getting any work that I know of, and I'm sure there are other actors from that set besides that guy who aren't working right now. We don't know who his friends were on the set, so who can say that he's incorrect about their current job situations? He could be referring to something his friends were moaning about over their beer the previous evening.

Edited by ostentatious, Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:53 AM.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 9:10 AM

But JM has always made something of a point about how he's friends with/likes/respects all his co-workers. I don't think that it's really fair to read into his comment that he's only talking about a few of the other actors. For all we know, he's also thinking of the crew members and writing staff as well as the actors.

Lila

Lila

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:47 AM

No, what I said was: Topic. Now.

Not "Soon." Not "After you get in another round or two of debate." The topic is for finding/discussing media coverage of the show, not your personal beliefs as to whether or not James Marsters is a swell guy and a fine actor. Take it to the Spike topic, or to email, or to your therapist, whatever.

Edited by Strega, Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:48 AM.

CCR

CCR

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:22 AM

Is "pergative" a joke thing, YME? Cause "prerogative" is actually a word.

Why do I find it depressing that DB is making casting (and therefore plot/story decisions). No wonder this season is such a mess.