Superman mythos, history, pre- and post-"Crisis"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1117 replies to this topic

kwerkee

kwerkee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 7:05 PM

Bumping this because it scares me that the thread would go kapoof if not actively used.

Edited by kwerkee, Feb 3, 2004 @ 7:06 PM.

tropicalgeko

tropicalgeko

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 8:46 PM

In keeping with the whole, "keep this thread active" line of thought, I'm going to ask a very basic mythology question. Someone should probably answer it for me if I'm ever going to post in here again; as im just starting to get into the mythology, it's a major newbie thing lol Pre and Post crisis; what's the deal?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 2:56 AM

I'd recommend reading this thread. There have been some good explanations of Crisis.

Anybody preparing for the new creative teams? The Azzarillo/Lee book got a preview in Wizard...looks good if you're into that. Chuck Austen makes me want to toss cookies.

public defender

public defender

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 5:05 PM

I'm looking forward to the new teams. The Turner/Kelly/Caldwell arc "Godfall" looks pretty good in the meantime.

LastScorpion

LastScorpion

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 8:38 PM

In "The Adventures of Superman" #624, Jimmy Olsen is talking to a bald-headed girl called Lena. (She looks a lot like TYOGL actually.) The last time I saw Lena Luthor, it was only about four years ago and she was a baby, and Lex pretty much wasn't letting her out of his sight. I'm assuming something happened with this in the "Metropolis" limited series? Is that Lena Luthor? If so, what happened?

searose

searose

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 3:29 AM

The Lena in the Metropolis maxiseries is the original sentience of the B13 Tech that transformed Metropolis. This sentience had a template based on baby Lena Luthor (sold by her father in exchange for the B13 Tech - but Superman managed to retrieve the baby alive... long story). Anyway, the Tech thought it was Lena and constructed a body for itself to experience real world life. Jimmy Olsen befriended this new Lena, and he helped her through some difficulties when she learned she was not the real Lena Luthor. A timestorm destroyed the far-future B13 Tech in Metropolis, but the Lena construct escaped intact. Chuck Austen who wrote the maxiseries is going to continue to use this Jimmy Olsen (and probably Lena, too) in his upcoming run in Action Comics in April, 2004.

LastScorpion

LastScorpion

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2004 @ 12:44 AM

Thanks searose! That clears up a lot!

Isn't that almost the same thing that happened with one of the recent versions of Supergirl?

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 2:15 AM

So I picked up the Superman: Our Worlds At War trade paperback at the huge Indigo in Toronto today.....well, where do I start. First of all, of every issue involved in the crossover, I can think of only about 2-3 that really stand out as memorable in my mind. They are...

* the issues with Young Justice
* Hippolyta's sacrifice
* the 'letters from the front' from Superboy, Guardian, and the Fortress robots regarding Krypto

So those are exempted from criticism. Otherwise, the rest of the series was a huge disappointment. Too much action, not enough storytelling. I mean, some MAJOR story developments took place in this arc (Lois' father died, Impulse died, Doomsday was killed, Steel is now uber-powerful, etc.) and they were all glossed over in favour of the next two-panels-per-page fight sequence. Jeph Loeb's technique of interspersing the speeches from Lincoln, FDR, etc. got really old really quickly. Imperiex was little more than a Galactus ripoff anyway, so not even the re-inclusion of Brainiac could save this one.

Trevacious Guy

Trevacious Guy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about the whole Worlds At War thing either. A few highlights, moments here and there in all the muddle.

I also liked the JSA issue, and the finale with Superman pulling out all the stops and saving baby Lena Luthor after Lex had dealt her away.

Try the Elseworld story, Superman: Red Son. The trade paperback version came out last week. Very nicely done. It's a story that asks What If Superman had landed in Russia instead of America?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 6:52 PM

OWAW: Feh. I hate it when I'm reading comics that get shoved into a giant crossover. "Hey! Giantoid battle going on!" "Hey! Don't give a shit!" Seriously, I wanted to read Young Justice & Superboy in peace. And thanks to the crossover, I had to pick up Dezago's shitty Impulse issue.

Red Son: I had the fortune of picking up a few issues cheap. Fun stuff. Batman with a Russian fluffy hat on cracks me up.

Trevacious Guy

Trevacious Guy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 10:17 PM

Heheh, speaking of the hat, Lantern, there's a cool sketchbook of designs in the back of the trade paperback -- including that one -- and there's a written notation by Dave Johnson -- "I took a lot of crap from friends about this hat. But I still like the design. Russia is a cold place. Why can't Batman wear a warm hat?" :) I

CaptainSnarky

CaptainSnarky

Posted Feb 18, 2004 @ 9:06 PM

I kinda liked OWAW. Red Son rocks, but are y'all reading Superman: Secret Identity? Now that's some good shit. Busiek and Immonen (who I think is the best Superman artist since Curt Swan) are crafting one hell of a mini-series. It's about a guy in the 'real world' named Clark Kent who discovers he has super powers.

ok, why do I have a teeny, tiny gay crush on Superboy? I should never have read that Superboy/Captain Marvel fanfic...

SilverOwl

SilverOwl

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 10:48 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but does this news from the Smallville Ledger have anything to do with the comics?

I don't recognize any of the names from the show.

Edited by SilverOwl, Feb 26, 2004 @ 10:48 AM.

Foxoa

Foxoa

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 6:05 AM

Blatant newbie question, but is there anyone who can explain the whole Supergirl thing to me? Or point me to a website that would get me up to speed? I tried to look her up online awhile back and all I got was that she died in the Crisis. But then, I read a couple of recent Batman/Superman crossover issues, and found out that, apparently, she isn't dead. So I'm confused. Who is this Supergirl? Where did she come from? Is she a resurrection of the old Supergirl or a different character entirely? Help.

LauraB

LauraB

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 8:36 AM

Foxoa, check out these 2 links:

Supergirl
Legend of Supergirl

Trevacious Guy

Trevacious Guy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 2:14 PM

Or Here:

The World Of Supergirl

ETA: Oh, nevermind, you're talking about one of the latter incarnations, but I'll leave the link there for fun.

I hear they're going to re-introduce the Supergirl From Krypton soon in the pages of Superman/Batman.

Edited by Trevacious Guy, Feb 27, 2004 @ 2:19 PM.

Foxoa

Foxoa

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 4:16 AM

Yay! Thank you, LauraB and Trevacious Guy.

ETA: Oh, I get it. The Supergirl I stumbled on is Cir-El, Clark and Lois's future daughter. But really she's Brainiac? Or Brainiac's mother? Something like that. So now they're going to introduce the real Supergirl. Anyway, I can't wait for Supergirl from Krypton.

Edited by Foxoa, Feb 28, 2004 @ 4:46 AM.

Rai

Rai

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 12:13 PM

Supergirl's beginning to rival Hawkman and Power Girl for most confusing origin/incarnation/etc. at DC. I don't get that stuff at all.

public defender

public defender

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 6:34 PM

Just announced: "Birthright" is now canon, and an official re-boot of Superman in the comics.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 6:48 PM

Was peeking in the latest Superissue yesterday, and I saw Chuck Austen's backup preview. I almost threw up. No way should a hack like that touch Kingdom Come and anything related to it, including Gog. I cannot be alone on this.

Oh, and I did pick up Superman/Thundercats. I wish I hadn't. Feh.

Edited by Lantern7, Mar 11, 2004 @ 6:48 PM.

public defender

public defender

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 7:16 PM

You aren't. I wasn't pleased at all with that.

Rai

Rai

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 2:50 PM

How does Chuck Austen continue to not only get work but be so damn popular? And when will he be replaced on Avengers? I miss my Avengers... :(

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2004 @ 4:43 PM

If Austen's a hack, he's certainly welcome to mess with (I guess we're spoiler spacing it now) Kingdom Come, which I loathed. Anyways, I guess it was getting on time for a reboot; I just don't like Waid's overly traditionalist (read: old-school fanboy) ways and glib dialogue.

Edited by arc, Mar 19, 2004 @ 4:44 PM.

SuperMon1017

SuperMon1017

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 6:23 PM

In response to Foxoa's message. Not sure if it is a spoiler, but just in case:

Wait a second. I thought Braniac was the being that also escaped Krypton before the planet died. That means that guy was around before Kal-El and Cir-El. How can she be his mother? Plus, I thought Brainiac was a robot-like creature. I dunno. I am confused. Any clarification you guys can offer would be fantastic.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

SuperMon...haven't been following the books, but I'm thinking that you're thinking of the animated continuity.

tropicalgeko

tropicalgeko

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 6:32 PM

and Action Comics #306 suggests that Superman can perform feats of lovemaking of which an ordinary man would be quite

That bit was posted up in the spoilers thread (exactly like that, cut mid sentance and all) I'm not sure if it belongs here, but I didn't think it went in the spoilers thread. Was that honestly in a comic? lol It's got me laughing so hard I figured I had to come here and beg for more info.

searose

searose

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2004 @ 10:57 AM

Brainiac in the comics (as in the JL animated series) is an Evil Computer. In the comics, previous canon had Brainiac being responsible for Krypton's demise, then Brainiac later reappeared as a villain for Superman on Earth.

Very convoluted continuity. Brainiac, being a computer, has different versions of itself, and it's constantly trying to upgrade.

Brainiac 13 was defeated by Superman, who sent it to the beginning of time (or something). To save itself, it downgraded a version to Brainiac 12 but couldn't emerge on a too-primitive Earth. So Brainiac 12 was using nano-robots to control people in the B13 Metropolis while trying to find a body for a host. The future timeline Brainiac 12 had sent back that Cir-El with its template encoded in her - because Superman wouldn't be suspicious of his 'daughter' being a Trojan Horse (she wasn't his actual daughter, though). Long story short, Cir-El was sarcastically referred to by Brainiac as his mother, and the corpse of future Lois Lane was to be the host body. Superman #200 in one fell swoop erased all of this plot, along with Cir-El.

It was the biggest mess in comics I've seen in a long while. Thankfully, that's all in the buried past.

abyssinia

abyssinia

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 8:52 PM

I have a question about a season 1 episode. I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the thread only goes back so far.

In "Stray," Lex mentions a younger brother, Julian. I can't find anything online that says this is canon. Is it, or was it totally made up for the show? What about Lucas?

kwerkee

kwerkee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 9:44 PM

abyssinia wonders

In "Stray," Lex mentions a younger brother, Julian. I can't find anything online that says this is canon. Is it, or was it totally made up for the show? What about Lucas?

I'm no comics expert but I think Julian and Lucas were specifically brought in for SV, they weren't part of the original mythos. IIRC, the only relations Lex had and mentioned in the comics were his parents, his daughter and countless wives. And of course, the son he and Supes sired. Hee.

Edited by kwerkee, Apr 2, 2004 @ 9:47 PM.

kryptomatrix

kryptomatrix

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2004 @ 11:53 PM

Pardon my Off-topic i-tude, but you all seem very informed about Superman's backstory, so I am wondering. Are there other colors of Kryptonite? And do they have interesting powers that could be fun on Smallville? I heard about one that gives Super powers to humans.