Because the First Time Wasn't Bad Enough: Reruns

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

9514 replies to this topic

Center of Attention

Center of Attention

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:00 PM

I have been watching the episodes for the first time on TNT and I take back my earlier statement that I see no difference between earlier seasons. I do see a difference. They left the house, they helped innocents. It was better.

That being said, I have decided Piper is a whiny bitch. Every episode she whines about how things affect her. She cant have a normal life, she cant have a normal relationship, the elders wont let her get married, (insert seasons I havent seen yet here), back to she cant have a normal life, more whining about normal marriage, whining that her husband isnt around. And the new whine of every single episode is about various aspects of motherhood. In the episode with the owl and his girlfriend, Piper comes into the room with the naked man. Prue and Phoebe are trying to figure out whats wrong and she says something like "we gotta hurry this up. Ive got this thing to plan" Refering to her wedding. A couple episodes later Leo tells her the elders are putting them on probation to make sure they dont put their relationship before their duties. Piper said with a straight face "that would never happen". Snort.

I liked early Phoebe. I am guessing she gets syphillis in season 4 and it goes to her brain immediately, turning her into the current season Phoebe. Cole has just been introduced and it started off kinda promising. I am not looking forward to seeing the complete Cole plotline. The random episodes with Cole I have seen are boring.

Watching the earlier season makes it glaringly obvious how underused Paige is. Having a new sister to bond with and teach all the Charmed lessons to would be more fun to watch then the current season I fondly refer to as Nipples.

And finally, Continuity is bound and gagged in the GL attic. I see what you all are talking about with plot points disappearing in mid air. I have found myself saying "what ever happened to...?" more times than I can count.

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 12:21 PM

Yeah Piper whines but she always goes ahead and does it. I have always found it unrealistic that the others don't whine about it. I know I would probably whine more than Piper.

Gee plan my wedding or risk my life agian, Hummmmm?

I know, I know, get over it it is your destiny.

Loco Lady

Loco Lady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:25 PM

Prue and Phoebe are trying to figure out whats wrong and she says something like "we gotta hurry this up. Ive got this thing to plan" Refering to her wedding. A couple episodes later Leo tells her the elders are putting them on probation to make sure they dont put their relationship before their duties. Piper said with a straight face "that would never happen". Snort.

I thought near the end when they were reuniting the couple, during the eclipse, Piper was ready to sacrifice the time for Brooke and... OwlMan. So, she wasn't putting her relationship before her duties. Somehow, the eclipse lasted long enough for everyone to get changed into their wedding gear, and try and get married, but their attempt was thwarted by the scheming old Colethazor. Or did I just totally pick that up wrong? It never really made sense to me, but like, does it ever?

The Done One

The Done One

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:49 PM

Or did I just totally pick that up wrong?

No, you didn't. That's what happened.

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:28 PM

Actually Piper put her sister's feeling and the innocent's feeling before her's twice in this episode.

First- she said she wouldn't marry Leo w/o Phoebe and Prue's consent and
Second - helping owlman and wolfgirl first before the eclisp was over.

Like I say, sure she whines, but always comes through in the end.

Unlike Phoebe , who just lies and does what she wants, and tries to fix it later.

Onlooker

Onlooker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:29 PM

Cole found out about the wedding at the bookshop when he switched books with them and, at the end the Triad congratulated him on finding out about the wedding and said that the information had been passed on. He boasted that it had been just a bonus, a perk.

What brings this particularly into focus for me is the number of people who have never got over this. Never mind that he was there to kill them, he spoiled Piper's wedding - unforgivable!!!!

Je Suis Poirot

Je Suis Poirot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:38 PM

What I didn't understand is why Cole did it in the first place and to whom the Triad passed on this "information". It's not as though the ever useless Elders would accept such news, no matter how important it may be, from evil with such open arms. What could they have gained out of thwarting Piper and Leo's efforts?

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:44 PM

Since their powers are triggered by their emotions maybe Cole though any disruption in their lives would screw with their powers, therefore be easier to attack.

And the Elders being as stupid as they are, probably got the news from some spy and checked into it and did indeed see they were getting married and stopped it. They though their relationship would be detrimental to innocents.

Loco Lady

Loco Lady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:53 PM

What could they have gained out of thwarting Piper and Leo's efforts?

I know! How did that work anyway? What, did the Triad just ring up the Elders and say "Hey guys, you know, one of our demons has discovered a Charmed One is tryin' to marry her whitelighter... Uh-huh, right now during the eclipse... Oh - we still on for lunch tomorrow? Ok, ciao!". As if they'd actually talk to each other. I can't see that happening. Why would the Elders trust the Triad or even talk to them? And how exactly is stopping Piper and Leo from marrying benefitting the Triad? Maybe Cole thought Leo'd be out of the way then, and there'd be less chance of his cover being blown. Still, surely the Triad just helped their fricking enemies with that little tidbit of information. This show drives me nuts. I have to stop trying to work things out on it, because it's slowly driving me insane.

ETA: Didn't see your post tvjunkie. Ah well, I suppose I can buy it for the minute. Sort of. I'm too tired and cranky to think of anything else.

Edited by Loco Lady, Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:55 PM.

Onlooker

Onlooker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:56 PM

For whatever reason, it was certainly the Elders who stopped it - they orbed Leo up involuntarily.

I don't know if, at this point, Cole even know that their powers were linked to their emotions. He just seemed to be feeling his way and was pleased to earn some brownie points from the Triad.

newtocharmed1

newtocharmed1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 6:03 PM

I definitely got the impression that the Triad passed the news on to the Elders. Who says Good & Evil don't communicate? The exact nature of the Elders and the other side is never truly explored and changes from episode to episode, let alone season to season. Perhaps, in return for their help, the Elders ratted Cole out a few times?

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 6:04 PM

Cole had a whole book of info on them so he knew a lot about them.

The Done One

The Done One

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 6:21 PM

Cole had a whole book of info on them so he knew a lot about them.

Down to Kill It Before It Dies.

Edited by The Done One, Jan 1, 2004 @ 6:22 PM.

Onlooker

Onlooker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 6:37 PM

Yes, he was definitely researching his work, but he did seem to be concentrating more on the layout of the house and the Book of Shadows. Actually, something which struck me as strange in the fairy dust episode was that he talked his way into the house and then shimmered to the attic from the bathroom (he had also seemed upset when Phoebe wouldn't let him come in during the owl episode). Can anyone tell me why he had to be in the house to do that, why he couldn't shimmer there from outside?

Maracev1

Maracev1

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 7:33 PM

I have no idea, maybe he is like a vampire, he needs for someone to invite him into the house.

He may have wanted to break the wedding because he probably figured that the girls are easier pray when distracted. He most likely knew about Piper and Leo all along. After finding out they were planning on eloping and being such a sneaky and experienced demon he probably knew also that it was forbidden and the ever-useless Elders would break it up throwing the girls' balance off.

I know I'm a bit late to the issue but I also have to say that Piper may be a whiny witch but still a responsible witch. For example, in the episode with the trolls she may have been resentful and didn't want to comply with her witchly duties, but in the end she did. Not only did she come through but she also felt terrible when they almost lost the little girl. A similar thing happened in Magic hour. Phoebe spent about half a season not wanting to deal with her duties, an innocent did die and she never even expressed remorse for it. Sure, she was sad but because she lost HER husband, not because an innocent died. Piper was willing to sacrifice her life with Leo if that was what it would take.

Like I say, sure she whines, but always comes through in the end.

Unlike Phoebe , who just lies and does what she wants, and tries to fix it later.

My feelings exactly. Besides, in my book Piper can whine all she wants; it's understandable considering the people she lives with.

Edited by Maracev1, Jan 1, 2004 @ 7:36 PM.

Center of Attention

Center of Attention

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:00 PM

Her initial reaction to everything is to whine. And she does come around fairly quickly. But its like getting my 4 year old nephew to take a bath. He whines and cries. We both know he is going to get in the bathtub and play and sometimes it would be nice if he would just get in and not whine for half an hour beforehand. It just seems like after all these seasons she would start dealing with it.

When Cole's character first appeared, was he meant to last as long as he did? Are him and Leo supposed to be the same character but on opposite sides of the good/evil thing? Both were first supposed to get close to the GLs, then they fell in love (where Phoebe and Cole prohibited from being together?), then there home base fell apart and they became a leader of sorts of the underworld/elderland.

I thought Cole wanted to break them up so Leo would be taken away from them and they wouldnt have their main confidante to rely on, making them (Phoebe) more open to him. They would lose their link to the elders at least as long as it took for a new WL to be assigned and maybe that was all Cole thought he needed. He thinks the girls would definately side with Leo over him, but with a new WL maybe not so much.

Onlooker

Onlooker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:12 AM

From what I've heard, Cole was originally slated for eight episodes. Siding with him over Leo wasn't an issue at this point as, as far as they knew, he was a normal man and Phoebe showed interest from the first moment they met. I think you're reading a bit much into why he broke up the wedding, he was just trying to worm his way in, generally cause problems and please the Triad. The first big plot to destroy them (and the first signs of his being torn) is in the next episode, All Halliwells Eve.

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:15 AM

(where Phoebe and Cole prohibited from being together?),

No the stupid Elders never said a word about their relationship.

Something that always bugged me. Piper never whined about that and she would have had every right too.

(That is me whining about the subject).

Edited by tvjunkie, Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:16 AM.

The Done One

The Done One

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:20 AM

This is completely random but when I was looking at the credits for Dream Sorcerer about ten minutes ago, didn't the "Written by" font look different? Also, happy Prue Fifth Episode of the Season Rerun Stalker Day (Sight Unseen is on this evening).

Edited by The Done One, Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:21 AM.

Loco Lady

Loco Lady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:36 PM

Also, happy Prue Fifth Episode of the Season Rerun Stalker Day

Heh. I'm jealous though, because I love those two episodes. Both had the whole human villain thing, which is far more interesting, IMO. Stalker Abby was hilarious and I like the way they tie up the demon plot, then realise Prue's in danger. Plus, that guy from Dream Sorcerer is freaky. The sisterly scenes are adorable too. Awww. Season 1 Phoebe -- likeable Phoebe. I miss her.

[Dead Man Dating] also had what could be taken as foreshadowing about Prue's death (not that I give the writers that much credit).

This is killing me because I can't for the life of me work out what could be taken as foreshadowing, because I haven't seen the episode in well over a year. Innyone care to refresh my memory?

Also, is it just me or are the opening travelogues more interesting now? I know it's a weird thing to comment on, but I used sit through them thinking "Ok, Golden Gate Bridge, boring, same as every single week before, that tower again...", completely bored and wanting the episode to start. Now they seem to be making more of an effort. Or maybe the content of the episode is so crap that the travelogue seems cooler to me. I don't know.

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:09 PM

I think the foreshadowing is when Mark was talking about celebrating Birthdays because you will never know how many you will have. Prue only had like two more.

The travelogues now are much more impressive. Every time I see them I think I need to go back to San. Fran.

I like the one of the fog rolling over the Golden gate Bridge.

Edited by tvjunkie, Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:11 PM.

ionee24

ionee24

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 7:04 PM

The travelogues now are much more impressive. Every time I see them I think I need to go back to San. Fran.

I like the one of the fog rolling over the Golden gate Bridge.

You know that's one of my favorites openers this season (as well as the ultra fast San Francisco views)

Amberosia

Amberosia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:58 PM

I just saw Sight Unseen for the first time. It was funny because I remember reading posts about it, and when people were talking about the bartender being the stalker I would look at that sweet little thing with the glasses and say "They can't be talking about her, can they? No way!" Wow, that was awesome. It was a much better episode than I expected, especially when chicky slammed Prue's face into that tub of solution. Craziness!

kiddo82

kiddo82

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:35 AM

Sight Unseen, to me, one of the more underappreciated episodes of the series. It doesn't really have the "punch you in the gut" feel of All Hell Breaks Loose or Morality Bites nor the end to end comical tone of Chick Flick, yet, every time I see it I am entertained. It is very smart and proves that this show can be more than cheap gimmicks and fairy tail rip offs. I agree that exploring the human side of evil is a refreshing change of pace and something that the show should return to every now and then. Don't get me wrong, I love crazy Abbey, but how cool would it be if greasy Dan came back and went all Fatal Attraction on Piper? I mean, we all knew he was kinda stalkery before, but what if he completley flipped his lid and went the whole nine? I think I'd enjoy that, and then of course I'd enjoy seeing her kick his greasy ass in the end.

Edited by kiddo82, Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:38 AM.

Summer16

Summer16

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:48 AM

And it's not like Piper can just blow him up and be done with him. Evil humans would have to be dealt with differently.

The show definitely needs some smart human bad guys again, like the scientist in Dream Sorceror.

DiePhoebeDie

DiePhoebeDie

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:37 AM

Aw, c'mon. Let Piper blow him up. Imagine the flames from all the grease! Oh, and while we're at it, could Jenny (please, please!) become collateral damage to the explosion?

Sorry, I'll stop fantasizing now.

Onlooker

Onlooker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:37 AM

In Sight Unseen they faced a rather unusual mixture of foes. Remember how they were squabbling about whether the danger was demonic or human, with Prue insisting that it was demonic and the other two that it was human? Both sides were right. Also, if you assume (and I think you can) that the girls could have dealt with the guardian demon in The Honeymoon's Over, then this is the first time that Cole saved their lives (even though he was still plotting against them himself), by arranging for Troxa to be made visible.

Edited by Onlooker, Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:38 AM.

Rockstar99435

Rockstar99435

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:06 PM

(were Phoebe and Cole prohibited from being together?)

No the stupid Elders never said a word about their relationship.

Something that always bugged me. Piper never whined about that and she would have had every right too.

Were the elders telling Piper who she could date or Leo? If they were telling Piper who she could or couldn't date then it would within her rights to complain about Phoebe and Cole. But I thought the Elders were refusing to let Leo date anyone. If that's the case then the Elders couldn't really do anything about Phoebe and Cole because they can't tell her what to do and Cole's evil so they couldn't stop him.

payndz

payndz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:24 PM

Just realised, what with all the mixed-up episodes (seasons 2, 4 and 5, and seasons 3 and 6 starting next week) - did Living ever actually show the final episode of S2, 'Be Careful What You Witch For'?

Unless they sneaked it in at some weird time over Xmas, I have the nasty feeling they've missed it out! The S3 premiere, 'The Honeymoon's Over', is on Monday. Damn, and I was so looking forward to waving off Greasy Dan with a "So long, loser!" And I missed whichever episode it was where they explained away Jenny's departure, as well. I just hope they both exploded in puffs of oily smoke.

ionee24

ionee24

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:40 PM

You're not missing anything "Be careful what you wish for" was the lousiest season finale for any season this show has ever have! (escept for Darryl's phone call) suffice to say: the Dan is gone, long live the Leo!

Edited by ionee24, Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:41 PM.