The West Wing in the Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7199 replies to this topic

jmhardin

jmhardin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 2:53 PM

bump for AmeliaV

Redshift

Redshift

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 8:55 AM

As a UK viewer (who is thankfully broadband-enabled) this does not bode well. To fill in the US viewers on a bit of history: TWW originally aired on a Sunday night on terrerstrial channel 4 at 9 and got good ratings, as did S2. Then, such was Channel 4's confidence in the show, it got a Saturday night at 8 slot - unheard of for a US show on 4. After 3 episodes, the show got moved to 11:40 on a Monday night. And there it hung, like a gym sock on a shower rod.

susan89

susan89

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:09 PM

I'm in the UK but have been glad to see season 4 on cable. I taped all but the 1st nine so I really want to see them now and am eagerly awaiting a date for the C4 showing of the season. I have got this about it: My friend read in her NME magazine that season 4 is due on C4 around March/April time and season 5 is due on E4 around July/August time. I don't know if this information is right or not.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:01 AM

On TV Gal's Best Quotes of 2003:

"Are you in love with Josh?" Amy to Donna on "The West Wing."

mjforty

mjforty

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:04 AM

TV Gal is extremely fan-girlish when it comes to Josh, isn't she? She's always gushing about him and/or Josh and Donna. She's as bad as Wanda over at E!

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:36 AM

She's as bad as Wanda over at E!

No one is as bad as Wanda, or Kristen, or whatever.

Tom Farley

Tom Farley

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:41 PM

Hercules has a Top 10 Scripted Hourlongs of the calendar year and TWW's on it.

http://www.aintitcoo...ay.cgi?id=16728

The Devoted and The Disappointed among us should check it out. I found his comments interesting.

mjforty

mjforty

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:30 PM

Last new episode (3.8) aired Dec. 3. Next new episode (3.9) airs Jan. 7.

Since when is The West Wing in Season 3? And I can't take seriously anyone who would put the last season of BtVS in their top ten.

Rock Chalk

Rock Chalk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:43 AM

Never mind.

Edited by Rock Chalk, Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:45 AM.

thel222

thel222

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:53 PM

Today's Hollywood Reporter has an article on TWW and the 100th episode. Some good quotes from John Spencer and the discussion about how extensive and expensive the lighting for the show is had me snorting Diet Coke out through my nose.

CK1Czar

CK1Czar

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:35 AM

From TV Guide:

West Wing
The Benign Prerogative
60 mins.

In the run-up to the State of the Union address, Bartlet weighs vetoing a crime bill because of sentencing guidelines in imposes. He also considers issuing pardons. Meanwhile, Toby and Joey Lucas (Marlee Matlin) “mall test” the speech in Michigan and Florida; and Charlie meets a young woman (Gabrielle Union) at a New Year's Eve party.

Cast: Allison Janney, Bradley Whitford, Dule Hill, Janel Moloney, John Spencer, Joshua Malina, Martin Sheen, Richard Schiff, Stockard Channing, Marlee Matlin, Gabrielle Union, Michael Hyatt, NiCole Robinson, Bill O'Brien, Melissa Marsala, Margot Rose, Stephen Lee, Melissa Fitzgerald, Chris Gardner, Wil Hall, Pat Gebhard, Charles Howerton, Brooke Bauer, Charles C. Stevenson Jr., Anthony R. Jones, Breena Shepard, Bradley James

Rating: TV-PG
Director: Christopher Misiano
Release Year: 2004

Slutern is back. (Or whatever we called her.) She's probably the girl in the mini-skirt walking in the snow carrying luggage in the promo.

mjforty

mjforty

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:47 AM

Well, I would prefer that she not be referred to as "slutern" since I have yet to see her do anything that deserves such a designation (although, to be honest, it's a rare occasion when I do think such a designation is dserved). Can we come up with a term that's not quite so misogynistic? Also, she's not an intern so the "tern" designation seems to be a bit of a misnomer.

CK1Czar

CK1Czar

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:08 AM

I just looked it up and she was named "Trashtern". I didn't name her. As long as she leaves the screen and never returns, I'll call her whatever you'd like.

kenyn98

kenyn98

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:34 PM

Charlie meets a woman at a New Year's Eve party? What the hell day is it in the West Wing-verse?

Oh yes, topic. From an article in today’s New York Times:

Still [Dean's] advisers have advocated providing some relief — including the possibility of an income tax cut — to the middle class to offset what they lose from the Bush rollback.

Dr. Dean's rival campaigns were already scoffing at what Bill Buck, of the Clark campaign, called "the secret plan to provide tax relief."

Does anyone doubt that that was an allusion to The West Wing?!

Sprojunky

Sprojunky

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:49 PM

Only if I hear someone say "secwet pwan to pwovide tax wahweif"

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:30 PM

Does anyone doubt that that was an allusion to The West Wing?!

Maybe not. Richard Nixon had a pretty famous Secret Plan to get the US out of Vietnam, and I'd always assumed Sorkin shouted that out.

But then again, maybe.

ccradio

ccradio

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:31 PM

Off the current thread but presumably belonging in this section:

On Will & Grace, Jack made reference to a website of his, www.justjack.com as part of his whole routine. NBC picked up on it and, IIRC, actually had a website there for a brief while. Now it just redirects to the Will & Grace page of NBC.com.

Did they ever do the same for lemonlyman.com? I looked today and there's nothing there. You'd think there'd at least be a similar redirect, but there doesn't seem to be one.

ms black

ms black

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 4:56 PM

Warner Communications owns the domain name lemonlyman.com, but as far as I know they never had a site up, or even a redirect.

ETA: There's an article on theindependent.com about the decline of TWW and last Wednesdays episode, in particular. Also, I heard that Rob Lowe will be starring in a TV adaptation of Stephen King's Salem's Lot in June, but I don't have specifics.

Edited by ms black, Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:53 PM.

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:50 PM

Hey, it's a Ron Butterfield sighting on The Practice! He's a judge. Cool.

BettyBoop

BettyBoop

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 11:07 AM

Looks like John Spencer will be appearing on the Ellen DeGeneres Show tomorrow (January 13). Check your local listings. . .

eeowyn

eeowyn

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:02 PM

2 WW mentions in this week's TVGal column.

jmhardin

jmhardin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:14 PM

But, hey, Charlie shouldn't complain. At least he's getting a story line.

WORD!

RedLady

RedLady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:52 PM

CNN just featured a report by Jeannie Moos (I think that's how it's spelled) about Richard Schiff's wife's stripper exercise classs and book. I really didn't pay attention because 20 Hours in America is on Bravo right now. I'm sure they'll show it again.

Alan Swann

Alan Swann

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:21 PM

In the 1/16 Entertainment Weekly, the "letters blurb" -- the paragraph summing up what that week's letters were like -- concludes with this bit:

Tuning out, meanwhile, are onetime West Wing buffs who agreed with Ken Tucker's take on the show's latest season.  "It's like watching paint dry," laments Diana R. Graham of New York City.  "The characters have become whiny, the story lines boring, the pace glacial."  Paging Aaron Sorkin!

Are you one of us, Diana? Show yerself!

jmhardin

jmhardin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:32 AM

Hee. Yeah, I wondered that myself, Alan.

eeowyn

eeowyn

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:41 PM

A few February sweeps articles about Jay Mohr guest-starring: Zap2it and thefutoncritic (scroll way, way down).

ETA: And like that, I'm a Loyal Viewer! It's all thanks to being a Zap2it bitch.

Edited by eeowyn, Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:43 PM.

Lemonbunny

Lemonbunny

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:15 PM

MLP has a baby boy.

SevenDeadly

SevenDeadly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:23 PM

Aw, William Atticus Parker. Great name. Best wishes to the both of them.

maki

maki

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:34 PM

A good name and a good birthday. Of course, I am a wee bit biased, seeing as how its my birthday. GVs to MLP and WAP.

MollyBloom14

MollyBloom14

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 6:52 PM

It's nice to see that she gave her son her last name and not the last name his jackass father.