The Young and the Restless

• Please log in to reply

121533 replies to this topic

Poll: Character Nicknames (377 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel character nicknames should be handled in the thread?

1. Don't allow nicknames at all. (112 votes [29.79%])

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

2. Allow nicknames, but with a pinned post at the top of the thread explaining them. (178 votes [47.34%])

Percentage of vote: 47.34%

3. Allow nicknames without the pinned post and people will figure it out. (86 votes [22.87%])

Percentage of vote: 22.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:44 AM

Wondering about the nicknames used in the thread? Poster SweePea59 was kind enough to take the time to compile them for us. You can find them here, here, and here, so please check the posts out before asking in the thread. Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 11, 2011 @ 3:54 PM.
Updated links to nicknames

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 19, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

Making a new ruling on tweets, since they are prevalent in this thread:

In the future, please link to individual tweets or a Twitter feed instead of copying and pasting them into a post. Not everyone wants to read them; those who do can follow your links. And technically, they are copyrighted material just like a blog post or an article, so they shouldn't be copied and pasted anyway.

In addition, please don't just post tweets -- add some commentary or thoughts of your own. A post full of tweets is just like a list post -- boring to read. We want to know YOUR thoughts. This is especially important in single-thread shows like this one.

PM me if you have questions or comments.

LithoGirl

LithoGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2013 @ 9:47 PM

Oh man, that preview. Poor Billy. Now he should really spiral down. Sigh.

itsallgravy

itsallgravy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

Pretty much everything that preceded and followed Carmine's death was complete stupidity.

Why can't this show ever leave well enough alone?  Lauren's affair with Carmine was well done and they should have left it at Michael ran him out of town.  But no we have to go the extra mile and witness the train wreck that was today.  They really made Michael and Lauren look like idiots imo.  Calm the fuck down, lawyer up and see how things shake out.  Don't just assume it was Fen because you found his sober living chip and if it was Fen then he needs to take responsibility for his own sake.   Michael's supposed to be a lawyer, no lawyer is going to handle a situation like he did.

Compared to the Fisher/Baldwin/Chloe/Alex scenes I  didn't mind Hillary today.  Her scenes with Devon were not bad.  She actually makes him look tall.

Bravo to Victor for getting rid of Cane at Chancellor.  What a spineless loser Cane is for not fighting for the job that Katherine specifically willed to him and fought for him to have.  The guy was so happy about getting forced out he wanted to celebrate with Lily at On the Boul.  Weird.

I think the other big problem with how this show is written are the rabid fans who keep telling JFP that her show is fantastic.

Her ratings are up at least lately. 

LisbethDnlt

LisbethDnlt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2013 @ 10:37 PM

Gravy:

I've noticed that their ratings are inconsistent, at best; they seem to rise and then fall again, week to week. I've also noticed that Y&R is not currently #1 in the precious, oh-so-coveted Women 18 to whatever category - I think that GH currently holds that title. I am just living for the day when Y&R gets knocked off of their high-horse, number one spot in the ratings - as I think that will be what finally pushes TIIC at the network and Sony to sit up, take notice, and finally start (seriously) cleaning house on this dreadful television production.

Edited to add:

I just went back to view those ratings again, and in double-checking I found that I was at least 1/2 right:

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. Y&R 764,000 (-32,000/-46,000)
2. GH 730,000 (+46,000/+176,000)
3. DAYS 630,000 (+15,000/+134,000)
3. B&B 630,000 (-55,000/-9,000)

and

Women 18-34 Viewers
1. GH 262,000 (+29,000/+80,000)
2. Y&R 204,000 (-26,000/+16,000)
3. DAYS 200,000 (-4,000/+64,000)
4. B&B 169,000 (-30,000/+33,000)

As you can see, GH is now on top of the 18 to 34 group, whereas Y&R is tops in the 18 to 49 group. Personally, I never did see the reasoning behind splitting the female viewers into these two particular groups, and I have no idea as to which group is considered to be the most important in terms of potential advertising revenue.

Might I add that, and lest anyone become upset with me - this is just my personal opinion, right now GH is what I consider to be must-see, can't miss TV - everyday viewing - where as Y&R has become somewhat of a bore, dreaded chore, and total snore viewing. In fact, I just finished watching the entire weeks worth of Y&R in record time, as I skipped through all of the awesomely awesome Baldwin/Carmine Murder Not-Mystery scenes, as well as anything featuring Billy, Victoria, Chloe, Neil, Lily, Cane, Devon and Hilary.

The only stories I currently find entertaining on this dreck are the ones involving Adam, Peanut, Chavez and Kevin - but Chavez and Kevin only in the context of them being a possible couple. I ff through any Kavez scenes involving the Baldwins, as I just cannot take any more of the contrivance otherwise known as Perpetually-Victimized-Lauren-and-her-Stalker-of-the-week. I've had more than enough of poor victimized Lauren, TYVM! Right now, Adam and Peanut are my only reasons to continue viewing this on-going JFP disaster.

This show really is borderline suckage!

For anyone who might be interested in reading all of the ratings news, here is the link to Daytime Confidential, where I happened to find it: http://daytimeconfid...mber-23-27-2013

Edited by LisbethDnlt, Oct 4, 2013 @ 11:15 PM.

carnivalex

carnivalex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2013 @ 10:38 PM

This “Rose” story is a hot ass mess. Do these idiot hack writers forget that dreadful 3 month Gus Rogan, aka The Candyman, story arc where he talked non-stop about Rose, Rose, Rose and died screaming her name? He had a heart attack because Leslie questioned him about Rose! Leslie & Tyler were hell-bent on “Finding Rose” to unlock their father’s secrets. How the heck did that get dropped and detour into this ‘Hillary fucking with Neil & Lane because “Rose” is her drunk mother who dropped dead in a hotel room’ story? How to connect the dots…. Um, I give up!

I can’t with Jack…  Since Phyllis left, he’s reduced to Adam’s sniveling sycophant. Adam is not his son or his wife. I don’t buy that bonding over “shared daddy issues” crap. What a load of bull. Why is he so fixated on Victor & Adam’s relationship when he has NO father-son relationship whatsoever with Keemo, and treats Kyle like an after-thought. He barely talks to Kyle - regardless of the actor playing him. Jack ignored both Blake Hood’s Kyle and Hartley Sawyer’s Kyle. His parental track record is non-existent.

Jack’s involvement in the Newman story is simply bizarre. Jack started this year high on pain meds with Cane warning him that he was financially over-extended after buying Jabot and his Newman shares. His cash supply dried up putting both companies at risk. This was Josh Griffith’s writing so that stupid hack can’t remember his own stories? Come on.

So where did Jack suddenly get the money to privatize Newman? And now that he lost millions of dollars, he shrugs it off because it was worth it to help Adam “get the respect he deserves”. Please. RME. Who is this Pod Jack? Auntie Jack carrying Adam’s purse and pom poms is a real turn off.

This Carmine story continues to make me cringe. Is this supposed to be comedy? Everything about it feels so campy.

Carmine's shooting sounded fake as hell through the phone. I hope he is dead dead cause they botched his character and I'm tired of the Baldwins running around in a panic. I wouldn't be surprised if JFP pulls some dual role crap like with Alcazar and Manny on GH though.

I wondered that too. Is there confirmation Marco Dapper left the show?

Treestar13

Treestar13

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

OMG.  Why does JFP think these "twists and turns" make good drama?  Like Sharon switching the test results and pushing Syph.  Katherine making the totally head scratching decision to give CI to Victurd (wait till Jill finds out).  And if Carmine had an accomplice, then WTF?  Why would anyone want to help him torchure Lauren (except to convince her to cut her hair).

If the Delia thing is true, explain to me why.  I just don't see any far reaching story that would come out of it except angst, and Chloe (hate her) and Billy (don't like him either) bonding.  I couldn't care less if this splits up Villy, I am sick of them anyway.

I really miss the character-driven stories.  Now it is just shock value which isn't shocking in a good way.

Edited by Treestar13, Oct 4, 2013 @ 11:54 PM.

cmb81

cmb81

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

This was Josh Griffith’s writing so that stupid hack can’t remember his own stories? Come on.

I don't think we are seeing JG's writing anymore. I think we have been seeing JFP, TT, and SA's writing for weeks based off SA interviews in SOD & SID. I think the last real JG scripts were Katherine's memorial. Since then things have been tweaked and changed. It is similar to how MAB's scripts were changed eventhough her named still appeared on them. The overall outlines was there but many of the outcomes were different. JP just started at Y&R and the official first scripts of this new regime aren't until the 21st, but you can feel a shift in the writing. I think JG's work is long gone.

While I am glad the pace has improved and characters are mixing it up, I do feel like some of these stories have just gone so far to the left that it is hard to remember why we are suppose to care. The perfect example is the Rose storyline. It started as a huge secret for Leslie/Tyler/Gus and now it is all about Neil/Lily/Cane. It makes no sense. They need to just wrap this story and move on to something else.

Oh man, that preview. Poor Billy. Now he should really spiral down. Sigh.

I would hope so! If they are going to go down this road then it needs to mean something. It better have a massive ripple effect for everyone like Cassie's death did. There is a lot of potential for this storyline and I hope they make the most of it. Though I really am annoyed at the overall tone of this story. Newman > Abbott.Ugh.

PsychedelicTrip

PsychedelicTrip

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

I am not sure that Adam will not have a love interest. I think we are stuck in the hexagon of  Sharon/Nick/Avery/Dylan/Chelsea/Adam for a long time. That seems to be the clustfuck this regime is banking on. But we are also seeing new rivalries and alliances forming as well. But I do agree that I think Adam will just focus on his son. He finally has that family has been craving so hard for and it is all his. No matter what Connor will be his son.

I think there are a lot of truths in this post.  I don't see Adam without a love interest and I won't be the least bit surprised if they keep him pining for Chelsea as she pines for Dylan.  What I think may actually happen is that we could be on our way to a possible Dylan/Sharon relationship, which is what will make both Avery and Chelsea's head's explode.  Steve Farren Phelps is after all the IT man for JFP's and she is notorious for having him as the epitome of what a woman wants.   As much as I was hoping for Dylan to be Sharon's brother, I won't hold my breath that Sharon can get any family. Hell she can't even get her mother or a friend, why would they give her a sibling?    

That said, I do think that Dylan/Sharon could be the next big thing in couples on YR.  Sharon Case has chemistry with a paper bag and all the men paired up with her (exception Victor) get her midas touch.   I think "Shylan" could give Davery/Shick/Chylan/Chadam and even Shadam a run for their money.   If my choices are Jessica Collins, Melissa Egan or Sharon Case to finally give Steve Burton the coupling on YR that is going to rival his coupling of Jasam and Liason on GH, then I'm gonna have to say that Sharon Case will be his golden leading lady ticket. 

I'm still holding out hope for Sharon/Adam but it appears that now that Adam has a kid he is going to be reduced to the vortex that Cane and Billy have fallen into which is just being a father and doting on his kid.  I want to believe that this new regime will do right by his dynamic character, but I don't trust it.  Babies are the kiss of death for couples and primarily the male characters. As soon as the actor started with the tweets about "peanut"  I  felt a pain in my stomach.    

I love the guy but sometimes I wish he would just stop tweeting altogether and let fans watch the show, form their own opinions and just plain wonder what is going to happen.  The actors on twitter giving us heads up on everything and building things is like sitting in a theatre with someone who has already seen the movie going "Oh..oh.here come the part, watch..you're gonna love this!"   It's just not needed and no offense to Muhney but he assumes all Adam fans want the same thing.  Like, "for those who are fans of just Adam"  Well no offense but I'm a true fan of Adam's and I don't always agree with what Muhney thinks is hunky dorky for his character

These past six months I've seen a whining adult man who has consistently chased his father, begging for his attention and to be told he's the supreme child. It's pathetic and when he wasn't doing that he was moping over a con who played him, the smartest man in the room, like a fool! A con I might add that is just so basic in every way that I don't even get his attraction to her to begin with and now he just takes her verbal and mental abuse while she holds his balls in her hand.   This is the same man who trashed his marriage to help Sharon at her most fragile.  Then he just tossed her aside knowing she has a mental disorder because "Daddy" told him too.  How is that growth?  How does that make me an "Adam" fan root for him?   I don't see the bad assery anymore.   If I'd had my way, Adam would never have worked with Victor and he wouldn't be a father under any circumstances..not right now.   

I'm ranting here I know...Ymmv but for me he tweets large things for his character and then fans get excited only for some to be left disappointed and wondering what the hell he was talking about.   Maybe he knows the storyline is shit and so he is doing a preemptive strike and trying to get us pumped up in hope we will swallow it? I don't know what to think anymore..I just know I haven't enjoyed too much of his character this past six months.  I'm such a huge Adam fan, and I love him even when he was a vent crawling, baby napper who had no fucks to give for anyone in GC.  Do I think he needs to be that bad again?  No, but this watered down baby crazy man is just not working for me. 

Edited by PsychedelicTrip, Oct 5, 2013 @ 12:39 AM.

carnivalex

carnivalex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 1:31 AM

There is no comparison between Delia and Cassie. NONE. Cassie was played for 8 years by Camryn Grimes who grew up on screen. Bill Bell featured children organically and they were woven seamlessly into his storylines. Cassie was a fixture in the Newman and Shick family households. Camryn was nominated for 4 Emmy’s and won 1. She was a very gifted child actor. Not just a “cute kid” prop. Cassie’s on screen relationships were nurtured. They felt genuine and believable. There was a real emotional attachment there from the actors and the audience.

This current version of Delia was hired in 2011 for that ridiculous cancer story where she smiled through all her scenes and looked way too healthy for a supposedly “dying” kid. She was invisible for most of 2012. We hardly ever saw her until a month ago. She was never shown bonding with the Abbotts or with Jill. Those family ties were not developed. Delia spent most of her time off-screen with Esther. The few times she did appear, it was with Kevin & Chloe.

The fact that Delia’s recent appearances with Billy immediately sparked rumors of her impending death speaks volumes about the way this show utilizes children. Their presence is unnatural. They are never seen or heard unless used as a plot device. The ham-fistedness speaks for itself.

As for the focus of this story, it’s pretty clear where that’s going to be. Look at who and what is getting the build-up leading into next week. Adam. Chelsea. Connor. His “corneal keloids”. This past month has been all about Connor’s custody and his eye problems.

I think JFP picked Delia because she is the most expendable. Johnny is Chelsea’s son, spawned from her golden womb, a symbol of her “saint hood”, so he’s safe. Billy shall be eternally grateful and indebted to Chelsea for the “gift” of Johnny. The writers always play up that Connor & Johnny are brothers, so they probably want to milk the story of Chelsea’s two sons. Chelsea’s claim to fame is giving birth to an Abbott and a Newman, she is the chosen magical broodmare. Faith is Shick’s daughter and they already lost Cassie. Moses, they forget he exists. Nobody knows where he is. Reed was also written off years ago. Charlie & Mattie are Lane’s children and there would be airplanes flying over CBS every day if she went there.

Sultry

Sultry

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 3:17 AM

I agree that there's no comparison between Delia and Cassie. Delia is a sweet girl but we've hardly seen her until recently. She's mostly been used to give Billy some daddy scenes and to keep horrid Chlovin reuniting. I'm mostly irked that another Abbott is getting wiped out and Newmans benefiting from it. 

I wondered that too. Is there confirmation Marco Dapper left the show?

Nope. SOD wonders if Marco is done too but said the show is tight-lipped about upcoming story. 

Edited by Sultry, Oct 5, 2013 @ 3:19 AM.

popppy

popppy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 4:58 AM

On the one hand we had underwhelming, non-acting in Hillary vs. the Winters. Then there's all the scenery being chewed in Carmine vs. the Adams family. High point for me, KSJ's banging biceps.

Underwhelming is the perfect word for Hilary and the Winters. YAWn.. and Mason wtf purpose does he have on this show. Likey and Carmine are just so fucking lame. I can't even watch them anymore.. soooooo predictable. So boring. so fucking bad. KSJ's biceps was the only thing worth looking at.

Carmine and Sharin' probably humped off screen and it will be revealed that Sharin' killed him because he wouldn't return her phone calls.

She probably talked Faith into doing it. That is more her style.

cmb81

cmb81

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 6:53 AM

There is no comparison between Delia and Cassie. NONE. Cassie was played for 8 years by Camryn Grimes who grew up on screen. Bill Bell featured children organically and they were woven seamlessly into his storylines. Cassie was a fixture in the Newman and Shick family households. Camryn was nominated for 4 Emmy’s and won 1. She was a very gifted child actor. Not just a “cute kid” prop. Cassie’s on screen relationships were nurtured. They felt genuine and believable. There was a real emotional attachment there from the actors and the audience.

I agree. I wasn't saying they were the same. I was saying the aftermath for the characters should be similar. Billy and Chloe should be destroyed. Victoria and Kevin as well. She was basically their daughter too. Also Esther, Jill, Billy, Chloe, Cane, etc all just lost Katherine and they might lose Delia as well. There is just no way their state of mind would be okay. This could be a good opportunity to shift many of these characters in a new direction.

The emotions for the audience will hardly be the the same. We hadn't even seen Delia for a good year before she was brought back with a vengeance a few months ago. Which is why many suspected something was about to happen to her. Delia is no Cassie but her character's connection to many characters has potential to cause a giant shake up. If rumors are true and they are going to kill her, then it needs to serve a purpose. Especially since it wasn't that long ago we watched another Abbott female die for no reason...

I think JFP picked Delia because she is the most expendable. Johnny is Chelsea’s son, spawned from her golden womb, a symbol of her “saint hood”, so he’s safe.

While I think that played a role, I also feel like this regime are fans of Victoria and Billy and they are trying to build their family unit. Chelsea might be Johnny's biological mother but this regime, more so than even MAB who created him, have made it crystal clear that Victoria is his mother. She doesn't even freak out anymore. Heck she blackmailed Chelsea without a hint of worry. I suspect that Victoria will become pregnant with their miracle baby. This way in a few years they will have their new set of teen angst BabyVilly vs Johnny vs Connor. It will force Villy vs Chadam which has always seemed to be the rivalry this shows falls back too. I have no doubt Billy vs Adam is going to become a bigger thing after whatever happens. Chelsea and Victoria will be a different matter completely. For some stranger reason they have decided to make them semi friends. Either way -- all about Victor's heirs.

Edited by cmb81, Oct 5, 2013 @ 7:06 AM.

SweePea59

SweePea59

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

I think JG's work is long gone.

Wasn't he on a long vacation when he got fired? That would make his "work" even longer gone.

I think JFP picked Delia because she is the most expendable. Johnny is Chelsea’s son, spawned from her golden womb, a symbol of her “saint hood”, so he’s safe.

I'm leaning towards Johnny since I think a half-brother would be a good match for harvesting organs. They would make it a loss for Chelsea-con more than Mop. Chelsea-con would have the tragic (yeah, right) loss that they would make Chelsea-con the star of and Mop would miraculously get pregnant. And then Conner would be even more special. A Newman with Abbott eyes, or some shit like that. That sounds pretty crappy to me so therefore that's the direction I would not be surprised that they go in.

AngelofHarlem

AngelofHarlem

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 9:06 AM

I say Nikki. It's what she does.

Oh snap! Seriously, how does she sleep at night?

No, but this watered down baby crazy man is just not working for me.

Man, I want to steal this post for eighteen years until it starts making sexy eyes at its half-brother. I love it that much. I need Adam to stop being all schmoopy with the baby and pining for the Golden Uterus. I feel like the character is losing some of his edge.

I suspect that Victoria will become pregnant with their miracle baby.

If they get rid of Delia and then do this...it's just so, so hateful. This would be at least the second time they've played the "sorry about your dead daughter, here's a replacement!" card and it's always cruel, heartless bullshit.

cmb81

cmb81

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

If they get rid of Delia and then do this...it's just so, so hateful. This would be at least the second time they've played the "sorry about your dead daughter, here's a replacement!" card and it's always cruel, heartless bullshit.

Well at least with Villy they are a married couple actively trying to get pregnant. Very different than when Cassie died and then Nick knocked up his mistress. This circumstance (if they go there) would be more of a bittersweet moment. They finally get their miracle kid but they can't even enjoy it because they are grieving. Hell I wouldn't even be surprised if they went as far as have Victoria keep it a secret because she feels sad and conflicted about the situation. It is so soapy, which makes me think it will happen. They have had Villy fucking like rabbits for a reason.

Melle

Melle

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 9:28 AM

Enough of the not-dead dead people....

PatsyandEddie

PatsyandEddie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 9:44 AM

That said, I do think that Dylan/Sharon could be the next big thing in couples on YR.  Sharon Case has chemistry with a paper bag and all the men paired up with her (exception Victor) get her midas touch.   I think "Shylan" could give Davery/Shick/Chylan/Chadam and even Shadam a run for their money.   If my choices are Jessica Collins, Melissa Egan or Sharon Case to finally give Steve Burton the coupling on YR that is going to rival his coupling of Jasam and Liason on GH, then I'm gonna have to say that Sharon Case will be his golden leading lady ticket. 

This FTW Trip!  MMV but I've always thought that SC had a natural sexiness that is sometimes quite subtle but present in spades. Hope that makes sense. It's never forced or in your face. Shylan has potential but so could Stitch/ Sharon. Hmmm,  the possibilities....

EmDeeJay

EmDeeJay

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

I need Adam to stop being all schmoopy with the baby and pining for the Golden Uterus. I feel like the character is losing some of his edge.

He's only been a dad for a minute, so I'm perfectly fine with Adam being baby-focused and schmoopy about it. I think it's a totally natural reaction to being scammed for months and then watching your baby nearly suffocate in the arms of a guy in a PTSD-freakout. I also think it's going to give Adam a chance to show a different side. I don't agree that he's pining for Chelsea. I think he's been pretty harsh with her, which is well-deserved and I'm not seeing any hints that he wants her back.

I'm looking forward to the army of one-and-a-half.

athena10867

athena10867

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 10:11 AM

I disagree that being a father is the kiss of death on a soap for a character.  One of my all time favorite Father/Child couples on a soap were Todd and Starr on OLTL, and Todd and baby Jack.  Not saying that they will write Adam like that or that his dynamic with "Peanut" will be like Todd Manning's but it could be is all I am saying.  I also loved Robin/Robert Scorpio on GH back in the day. 

LeftPhalange

LeftPhalange

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 11:04 AM

but for me he tweets large things for his character and then fans get excited only for some to be left disappointed and wondering what the hell he was talking about.

I feel like MM is over-hyping his current story and that I will be disappointed again. How is Victor going to loose? NE is his one true love and he's already gotten that back. CI will probably be absorbed into NE and he will go on like none of this ever happened. Vikki, NIck, and Nikki aren't going anywhere, at least not permanently. Victor barely gives half a fuck about Adam so there's no great loss there, assuming Adam actually follows through with giving up on Victor, which I don't think he will. Adam has spent his entire six years on the show obsessing over Victor. He gave up his wife and his booty call just because daddy said so. I don't believe for a second that Adam can be done with Victor just like that. Adam (and Chelsea) may be focused on Connor now but I'm sure he'll eventually be at home collecting dust with a nanny like all the other children on this show. I'll believe Adam is really done with Victor when it lasts more than two months.

I do think that Dylan/Sharon could be the next big thing in couples on YR.

I will support anything that keeps Sharin, Nick, Dylan, and Avery on their own island away from people I like.

Edited by LeftPhalange, Oct 5, 2013 @ 11:05 AM.

carnivalex

carnivalex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

I wasn't saying they were the same. I was saying the aftermath for the characters should be similar.

Why would the aftermath be similar? These characters have nothing in common. The grief for Cassie was earned. When the actors cried, those were real tears. Her loss was so devastating because she was such an engrained part of the canvas. Delia was not. Her connection to other characters exists only on paper. They were never developed or solidified on screen. We barely saw this kid, and never with her extended family, so the “mourning” is not believable. Her death is an obvious plot device to give Connor a new set of corneas.

Billy and Chloe should be destroyed. Victoria and Kevin as well. She was basically their daughter too. Also Esther, Jill, Billy, Chloe, Cane, etc all just lost Katherine and they might lose Delia as well.

The only person on that list I’m feeling for is Kevin, and even that’s a stretch. Billy only spent time with this kid starting in June of this year. 3 months of Billy playing weekend daddy to nuDelia as lead-up for offing her rings hollow compared to Nick’s 8 real years with CG’s Cassie under Bill Bell. When did we ever see Jill bonding with Delia? Never. And it definitely doesn’t compare to the 30 years Jill interacted with Katherine. Delia & Esther’s relationship was entirely off-screen. Esther is another invisible character. Cane has not been in Delia’s orbit since that awful paternity lie story ended. As for Chloe, her character is so unlikable, I’m hard-pressed to muster up any sympathy. She didn’t bond with nuDelia at all.

I suspect that Victoria will become pregnant with their miracle baby.

I don’t. That would take attention away from Chelsea’s spawn Johnny. Now that both Reed and Delia are eliminated, Johnny is Billy and Victoria’s only child, and they are further indebted to St. Chelsea for her “gift”. As soon as Johnny is SORAS, he will claim Chelsea as his real mother. Just watch. LOL!

The next baby born on the show will be Dylan and Avery’s. It shall be a girl, because Connor and Johnny need a future female to fight over. Chelsea’s two sons battling over Davery’s daughter.

This is all about solidifying that broodmare Chelsea and her spawn as the future generation of this show. She will have birthed the only legacy Newman & Abbott who matter to these writers, Connor and Johnny. Faith has been demonized already and Reed was simply written off and erased from memory like Keemo.

I do think that Dylan/Sharon could be the next big thing in couples on YR.

I doubt JFP will pair Dylan with Sharon. Look at how they’re writing Sharon. They write her with such contempt and mockery, ie., “wackadoo”, “crazypants” repeated over and over again in their dialog scripts. That hack Josh Griffith has managed to surpass even MAB and single-handedly destroyed every aspect of her character. Her main relationship is with a hallucination of her dead daughter. These writers have relegated Sharon to “Pattycakes” territory. Nobody's love interest. She bangs traveling salesmen out of sheer loneliness. If she’s not good enough for the ventcrawling babynapper Adam, there’s no way she’s worthy of the show’s beloved golden war veteran.

Adam has spent his entire six years on the show obsessing over Victor. He gave up his wife and his booty call just because daddy said so. I don't believe for a second that Adam can be done with Victor just like that.

I don’t buy it either. Though I do think Adam is moving into the Abbott family. Jack favors Adam over his own real sons, Kyle & Keemo. Adam will probably work at Jabot with Jack & Chelsea. Perhaps Jack will leave Jabot to Adam in his will? LOL!

I believe they’re also trying to set up an Adam vs Billy rivalry by killing off Delia and giving her corneas to Connor. Plus, Adam and Billy share a baby mama in Chelsea. Maybe they’ll do an Adam-Chelsea-Billy love triangle and throw in their battling Chelspawns for good measure

itsallgravy

itsallgravy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 1:08 PM

I believe they’re also trying to set up an Adam vs Billy rivalry by killing off Delia and giving her corneas to Connor.

WTF.  Are you kidding me? 

PsychedelicTrip

PsychedelicTrip

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 1:15 PM

the army of one-and-a-half.

This.  MMV and all but  for me an army of one is just that ..a person doing battle completely solo.  I haven't seen any indication of Adam being solo for the last year.  Is he part of the Newman family core? No, but he's certainly anything but an "army of one" and like it or not, he did have his father for a time and at least his family acknowledges he's breathing and has a pulse, even if it's not warm and fuzzy. There was also his marriage to Chelsea, which seemed fine and happy and then when that blew up he had Sharon's complete and utter devotion and right hand help.  Now he's got Jack who has embraced him as his friend and cares so much about him that Jack threw in millions in Adam's battle for "family and love" with Victor.   Which btw was so utterly ridiculous, because as much as I love Jack and Adam together, it was so stupidly out of character for Jack when he has two sons of his own that he barely has time for.  

An army of one is when you are utterly and completely alone with no one and that would be Sharon. She's as someone up thread said so sadly and pathetically alone. Her mother doesn't even bother and Noah only pops in now and again and she has no friends.  Dylan forgot all about her once he fell into Chelsea's uterus.  Sharon's only support right now is her five year old daughter and her other dead daughter who has now become a figment of her imagination.  Poor Sharon no one gives a fuck about her.    

I love Adam but the "army of one and now one and a half" doesn't ring true when there's nothing of the sort.  Sure he's got a baby now that is all his, but he's had people along side him caring and supporting him. Which is a hell of a lot more than Sharon who is truly alone.

Edited by PsychedelicTrip, Oct 5, 2013 @ 1:25 PM.

Lamplighter

Lamplighter

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 1:21 PM

Jack favors Adam over his own real sons, Kyle & Keemo. 

I would argue for this assertion to be correct that Jack would have had to be seen and heard to do as such.  He really hasn't.  One character was written off a thousand years and the other hasn't been seen of late.  That's not Jack's doing. 

Personally, I never hold Keemo against Jack.  I don't even think of Keemo.  It was just an aborted storyline that never should have been explored in the first place.  When even the actor - who is notoriously discreet compared to others in his workplace - deplores the storyline I am content to forget it ever happened or at least not hold it against the character.  YMMV.  

Same thing with Kyle.  Jack's actually been a pretty good dad to Kyle when the relationship has been played on camera.  Anything else was the writers' decisions.  It was his mother who took him away.  I don't hold it against the writers they failed to demonstrate Jack's efforts to parent during the absence and given there's no storyline of epic resentment for FrankenKyle, I chalk it up to if Kyle doesn't have a problem, I don't have a problem.

Everybody seems to generally like to love Jack so I get confused about why people hold him accountable for the writers' mistakes and failings over the years.

Predictions (gut instinct):  Andrew Abbott is a smokescreen for recasting FrankenKyle.  We haven't seen the actor in eons.  I'm just sure we're getting a 'the part of Kyle Abbott is now being played by' some day soon... 

Cynthia Watros is Phyllis.  It's some game for shock value.  Maybe they're jittery about Stafford fans (they exist, apparently.)   So they're leaking Watros in dribs and drabs.  

See it from their perspective.  Even dialled back and balanced out (though look what we got in exchange... Dullan and Cindercon) Phyllis is a major character.  They didn't write her out definitively, they didn't kill her, they haven't even ignored her absence... people been trucking down to Georgia pretty regularly.  Hell, Jack hasn't even fallen in love again yet and it's been several weeks since they airlifted her to off screen - in that period of time Jack would typically have married and lost two to three women he's loved more than any other woman.  Plus Avery is blonde and so is Summer... now the sisters look like sisters and daughter like mother.  Plus, Watros does have name recognition, she's worked enough so I struggle to see her settling for a bit part unless she's broke or something, and her signature is big ass crazy plot driver Annie Dutton... she's got Phyllis all over her, minus the tedious sex-aaaaay.

The plan was always to bring back Phyllis sooner than later.  They're milking the buzz.  First she's coming.  Then Phingers are moving.  Then - boom - Watros is Phylllis!!!! Buzz, buzz, buzz.  It's either Watros or Stafford is coming back.  If it was another actress it would surely be a name actress for that part and they'd be trumpeting that because November ratings are coming up.  I'm not sure of it but with Phyllis stirring and Watros arriving and no other actress in the press, I'm sure it's either Watros or possibly Stafford (who I gather hasn't said anything cryptic on Twitter?) 

And I'm semi-spoiling for the benefit of a cheerful moment coming up Monday but it's not plot, just a nice moment.... if you like a fat, smiling baby, keep your eye on Peanut somewhere in the last fifteenish moments of the episode.  The camera wasn't focused on him but I was looking at him for some reason and the kid's gurgling and smiling... it's very cute (and brief.)  

Edited by Lamplighter, Oct 5, 2013 @ 1:38 PM.

PsychedelicTrip

PsychedelicTrip

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 1:41 PM

Cynthia Watros is Phyllis.  It's some game for shock value.  Maybe they're jittery about Stafford fans (they exist, apparently.)   So they're leaking Watros in dribs and drabs.  

ITA with you. WTF would this big name soap actress come on to play some bit part?  It has to be something huge and CW and HHk (Summer) really do resemble each other quite a bit.  CW could easily be the nuPhyllis.  There's no way Staphinfection is coming back, she's got her web project that supposedly is taking off and that is where she can call the shots and be the star!  

She wanted to be front burner and to eat up YR and be forever making out with JM and tptb weren't having it.  She kept threatening to walk if her demands weren't met and finally they said "go for it".  JFP and JG had no fucks to give for the caustic entity.  She'd be running roughshod all over that set for years and unlike EB who actually has a bit of pull with the 'boys club' at Sony, MS doesn't reach that far. MS is everything that JFP hates in leading ladies, bossy and full of hubris.  

twistedsoul7

twistedsoul7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 2:30 PM

I don’t. That would take attention away from Chelsea’s spawn Johnny. Now that both Reed and Delia are eliminated, Johnny is Billy and Victoria’s only child, and they are further indebted to St. Chelsea for her “gift”. As soon as Johnny is SORAS, he will claim Chelsea as his real mother. Just watch. LOL!

The next baby born on the show will be Dylan and Avery’s. It shall be a girl, because Connor and Johnny need a future female to fight over. Chelsea’s two sons battling over Davery’s daughter.

I definitely think Dylan and Avery will have a child but I also think Victoria and Billy will as well. And yes Johnny vs Connor is a rivalry in the making. Also for what it is worth Reed is returning to the show. He has been taping quite a bit lately according to the actor.

Cynthia Watros is Phyllis.

I don't think she is. She apparently started filming last week and is working with EH, BM, and AH. NuPhyllis is coming but I don't think it is CW. I also don't think this character of "Kelly" will be short term either. I can see her sticking around and being paired with Jack. So then when NuPhyllis arrives it will be their new rivalry.

Predictions (gut instinct):  Andrew Abbott is a smokescreen for recasting FrankenKyle.  We haven't seen the actor in eons.  I'm just sure we're getting a 'the part of Kyle Abbott is now being played by' some day soon...

I think so as well. BH was cute but he was a horrible actor. HS is a decent actor but he is a horrible Kyle. They are clearly looking for a leading male character. The only issue I see is that if they make him too mature and leading male then the Kyle/Summer angle will be dead. I am all good for it but they will need to bring in someone for this girl to hook up with. Also the females are slim too for Kyle.

I love Adam but the "army of one and now one and a half" doesn't ring true when there's nothing of the sort.  Sure he's got a baby now that is all his, but he's had people along side him caring and supporting him. Which is a hell of a lot more than Sharon who is truly alone.

So much word. Adam has never been "an army of one" as he has always had someone by his side at some point. Even these days his inner cycle is growing.

Everybody seems to generally like to love Jack so I get confused about why people hold him accountable for the writers' mistakes and failings over the years.

I think people comment on it because the show keeps having Jack toss failing as a father in Victor's face. The should really stop because while Victor is a lousy father he has at least been in his children's lives. Jack raised NONE of his own children. He has no right to be calling anyone a bad parent.

Yes it is mostly due to the show but it is what it is. Jack was portrayed as an absentee father who raised other peoples' kids while ignoring his own. He and Kyle are in a good place now but it took some time for them to get there for that very reason. I am honestly surprised they haven't had Kyle call him out on his cries of having missed out on Summer's life when he was MIA for almost all of his childhood as well.

Edited by twistedsoul7, Oct 5, 2013 @ 2:43 PM.

Highandlow

Highandlow

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

Personally, I never hold Keemo against Jack.  I don't even think of Keemo.  It was just an aborted storyline that never should have been explored in the first place.  When even the actor - who is notoriously discreet compared to others in his workplace - deplores the storyline I am content to forget it ever happened or at least not hold it against the character.  YMMV.  

Lord. That storyline was on so long ago, I'd about forgotten about it.  And since memory of the thing is so vague, wasn't Keemo a grown man? I remember him being at least in his late teens or early twenties.  I've never bought into the notion that Smilin' Jack Abbott had fought in Vietnam either. What was BB thinking anyway?  Even he must have thought the storyline was complete crap, because it ended and never another word was ever spoken about it ever again. Good riddance.  Don't need any reminders either.

I'm not buying that CW is Phyllis. She isn't right for the role and she's too young unless they're going for a retcon and planning to make Avery her older sister now.

Edited by Highandlow, Oct 5, 2013 @ 3:07 PM.

Lamplighter

Lamplighter

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 3:25 PM

I think people comment on it because the show keeps having Jack toss failing as a father in Victor's face. The should really stop because while Victor is a lousy father he has at least been in his children's lives. Jack raised NONE of his own children. He has no right to be calling anyone a bad parent.

Cinderella's stepmother would have the right to call Victor Newman a bad parent.  What's the good of a rotten parent in a child's life?  Victor's kids would have been far better off without him. 

carnivalex

carnivalex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

The only issue I see is that if they make him too mature and leading male then the Kyle/Summer angle will be dead.

It was dead on arrival. They tried to force Kyle/Summer twice already, with Blake Hood and Hartley Sawyer. Both flopped in that contrived pairing. Yes, in theory, Kyle/Summer was supposed to be the next generation Abbott/Newman couple, but, as usual, the execution was beyond awful. The actors had no chemistry whatsoever and the writing was downright horrible. Now they’ve both disappeared off screen. Ho hum.

And since memory of the thing is so vague, wasn't Keemo a grown man? I remember him being at least in his late teens or early twenties.

Adam is a grown man who looks to be pushing 40. That hasn't stopped the writers from hammering away at his "daddy resentment" for 6 long years. Now Nikki has a new son played by Steve Burton. LOL!

IMO, writers are responsible for what they write. Once it airs, they need to own it. If they give a character a child and the story plays out on screen, it becomes part of the show canon.

The current writers may choose to forget Keemo, Moses, Reed, Scotty, Nate, etc., exist but that still doesn't make it so. These characters are canon. As we saw with Ricky & Aiden (Ronan), sometimes new writers can reintroduce a neglected child, if it suits their agenda. Kyle was off-screen and never mentioned for 6 years. Nevertheless, we knew Jack & Diane had a son.

Melle

Melle

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

MM over hypes everything Adam-related.

Cees

Cees

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

LisbethDnlt:

Maybe I can throw some light on the 'coveted' ratings demographics fiasco. I say that with snarled lips because it's not only an antiquated mindset, it makes no logical sense whatsoever. I for one don't care what age the hand is that hands me money. Apparently, those who 'specialize' in advertising (and I use that phrase lightly) do. It's a well known fact that those over 49 don't eat, drink, drive cars, buy clothes, use cleaning products, buy hygiene products, or have expendable income that notably exceeds younger demographics. Therefore, being a 49+ viewer means nothing.

The number of viewers within the 18–49 age range is more important than the total number of viewers.  Advertisers are convinced that older viewers are set in their ways and won't try their new product. They believe younger viewers are more malleable and open to the advertising. Those in the 18-34 age group are the most malleable and open of any of the demographics, and therefore will rush out and buy their product, no questions asked.

In the past 47 weeks, which is about the time JFP reign of terror began, the coveted 18-49 viewer demos have shown a steady decrease 'when compared to last year'. Of those 47 weeks and in that group, 30 have shown losses while only 17 have shown increases. Looking at numbers only, the losses far exceed the gains. (i.e. gains come nowhere close in compensating for the losses).

As it stands now, Y&R had more viewers in the coveted 18-49 demo when MAB was at the helm.  While overall viewers may have increased, they don't count considering the vast majority are 49+.  The increase looks good, but means nothing when it comes to advertising dollars.