The Young and the Restless

• Please log in to reply

121522 replies to this topic

Poll: Character Nicknames (377 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel character nicknames should be handled in the thread?

1. Don't allow nicknames at all. (112 votes [29.79%])

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

2. Allow nicknames, but with a pinned post at the top of the thread explaining them. (178 votes [47.34%])

Percentage of vote: 47.34%

3. Allow nicknames without the pinned post and people will figure it out. (86 votes [22.87%])

Percentage of vote: 22.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:44 AM

Wondering about the nicknames used in the thread? Poster SweePea59 was kind enough to take the time to compile them for us. You can find them here, here, and here, so please check the posts out before asking in the thread. Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 11, 2011 @ 3:54 PM.
Updated links to nicknames

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 19, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

Making a new ruling on tweets, since they are prevalent in this thread:

In the future, please link to individual tweets or a Twitter feed instead of copying and pasting them into a post. Not everyone wants to read them; those who do can follow your links. And technically, they are copyrighted material just like a blog post or an article, so they shouldn't be copied and pasted anyway.

In addition, please don't just post tweets -- add some commentary or thoughts of your own. A post full of tweets is just like a list post -- boring to read. We want to know YOUR thoughts. This is especially important in single-thread shows like this one.

PM me if you have questions or comments.

dbklmt

dbklmt

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

Saddest moment in today's episode was when Cane had to take a phone call and it was from Katharine.

Great videos here of an interview with Jeanne and then the feud between Katharine and Jill. 

http://www.today.com...es-84-1C9847298

R.I.P. Duchess; you will be missed!

twistedsoul7

twistedsoul7

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:13 PM

The hair and makeup staff posted this picture of her dressing room. My thoughts are with her family and everyone at Y&R. I can't imagine trying to film right now.

PatsyandEddie

PatsyandEddie

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

Loving these links to her interviews. Please keep posting them.  JC was so fantastic at any age.

yakkydoodle

yakkydoodle

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:37 PM

I hope, when it's all said and done, that Carmine is not murdered. I can't help it; I like the guy.

I agree with you on this, I like him too. I think he's good looking and not in a boring way like Ricky was (Paul's son).  Carmine reminds me a tiny bit of George Clooney. It's something about his smile. I do hate that Lauren is cheating with him though, and that she so readily lies about it. Is she lying to herself too?

Darbar

Darbar

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

God Bless Jeanne and her family.  I know from experience this will be a very difficult time.  Everyone says that you heal after such a loss, but I don't believe that.  Losing a mom is losing a piece of your heart and soul and it never comes back.  There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss my mom and I know Corbin and his siblings will think of her every day.  And God Bless all of you here on this board who've lost loved ones.  

Janet

Janet

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

The Duchess will be missed. My condolences to her family, friends, cast mates and all of us who were fans. She was an icon.

I hope Y&R gives her the tribute she deserves.

yakkydoodle

yakkydoodle

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 4:04 PM

Well, I'm so sad to hear about Jeanne Cooper. I am surprised that the news has me crying in my office, something about her. I'll miss her so much. Thanks for posting links to her.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

Just saw the news about Jeanne and had to post here.  When I watched back in the day, she went by "Kay" and was losing Phillip to Brenda Dickson's Jill.  LIz Foster was working for her, Liz's own daughter's rival -- how soapy!  Even though Jill was from the wrong side of the tracks, I always rooted for Kay, especially when she wanted to buy the baby from Jill.  Jeanne portrayed Kay as needing someone to love, even though she was a damaged person.  We will all miss such a complex character portrayed by a crackerjack actress!

capricasix

capricasix

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

Global News here in Toronto just had a segment on JC's death. Very touching - Leslie Roberts did the segment, and he seemed a little emotional, as part of the segment was an in-person interview with him that she had done at the Global studios fairly recently (like, probably in the last year or so).

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

RIP to the great Jeanne Cooper and my condolences to her family.  She will truly be missed.

Lamplighter

Lamplighter

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

Yah don't get missed this much without having done a lot.  I've said before I met her once and it was brief, but enough to count myself lucky to have done.  What a dame! 

Melle

Melle

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:17 PM

Thank you, Katherine, for being a sassy lady.  And thank you to Jeanne Cooper for bringing Mrs. C to life and what a life that was.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:33 PM

I stopped watching The Young and the Restless in the early to mid 90s, but there are a handful of characters that I never forgot and Katherine Chancellor is one of them.  I even remember watching her surgery!  RIP, Jeanne Cooper. 

GambitKingdom

GambitKingdom

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:37 PM

I can't imagine Y&R without Katherine Chancellor. I saw the episode last Friday and I can't describe what it is like to watch her for the last time. She was on the show longer than I was alive on the earth and I consider that to be incredible testament to her. I will miss her and I know the cast and fans will miss her. 

"Life is the fire that burns and the sun that gives light. Life is the wind and the rain and the thunder in the sky. Life is matter and is earth, what is and what is not, and what beyond is in Eternity." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Lamplighter

Lamplighter

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

I kinda hope they can find a way around the recast scenes and just let JC's last episode be Katherine's last episode, writing her an off screen death and then kick assing the fall out somehow.  

Surely JFP can hire three hundred new cast members to fill any air time. 

dbklmt

dbklmt

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

Is Michael Learned coming back?

Lamplighter

Lamplighter

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:59 PM

That's what I thought I read, that Learned would step in again. 

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 6:13 PM

So sad to hear about JC's passing.  Her Katherine was easily one of the five greatest soap creations of all time.

dbklmt

dbklmt

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

I read it too, but I had hoped that maybe good sense had prevailed and they decided not to do it.  If anyone from SONY is reading this you need to reshoot scenes and/or storyline to not have this happen.  It's hard enough to watch and even hear lines from other actors regarding Katherine.  I for one will turn off any episode that has Michael Learned in it even though I like the actress playing the role of Katherine.  For me Jeanne Cooper  made her departure when she walked up the stairs looking back at Jill.

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 6:16 PM

I suspected this was coming soon, but you're never prepared. :(

And I agree that TPTb would be better off writing an off-screen death rather than have a few more scenes with another actress. Nothing against Micheal Learned, but she wasn't the Katherine Chancellor that fans have watched for forty years.

Lamplighter

Lamplighter

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 6:31 PM

I feel a greedy sadness... you wouldn't wish a grand old lady like that a moment's suffering and it sounds like she struggled mightily in the last few weeks.  Even so, dammit, I was used to having her around!  

What's your favourite Katherine moment?  I loved, loved, loved, loved Marge part 1.  The whole story.

godfreydaniels

godfreydaniels

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 6:36 PM

So sad about "the Dutchess." She was a classy and sassy lady. Young and the Restless has lost a great actress. Loved to watch her.

Sake614

Sake614

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 6:39 PM

I agree darbar. I lost my dad 18 years ago and when he died, a piece of me went with him. Somehow nothing has been the same since. Not birthdays, nothing. So while you can make some peace with it, I don't think you ever truly 'get over' the loss of a parent. Doesn't matter their age or their health. No matter how prepared you think you are, i dont think you're ever truly ready to say goodbye. My heart goes out to her family in this very sad time.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 6:46 PM

RIP, Jeanne.

IOU_Payne

IOU_Payne

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 7:21 PM

I loved Katherine in the homeless shelter, when she met Mac.  I also loved the mother-daughter scenes with Jill.  So different from the way she interacted with Nikki. 

Lamplighter

Lamplighter

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 7:41 PM

If CBS was smart, they'd devote an hour some night in the next few weeks to a tribute.  She was worth it and there'll be a ton of fans, currently watching and currently not, who remember her and would be happy to watch.  Heading into repeat season it would be no major loss of revenue. 

Just please they don't junk it up with too many people talking - I'm looking at you Stafford, Canestipation and Braden - just give me an hour of Kay scenes with some commentary from MTS, Kate Linder, and heavy on the Jess Walton, since she has played Jill the longest. 

The New York Times obit is affectionately cheeky...  though I can't quite recall which one of her grandchildren Kay inadvertently attempted to give away... 

"The two women diverged in certain vital respects. Compared with the patrician Katherine, Ms. Cooper had a far more extensive Anglo-Saxon vocabulary, which she used with robust delight in interviews."

http://www.nytimes.c...4.html?hpw&_r=0

I know I'm posting a lot.  I think I'm speed grieving. But dammit I liked that old doll!

twistedsoul7

twistedsoul7

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 7:42 PM

Is Michael Learned coming back?

I doubt it. I am sure Katherine will pass away on screen as well. It is the only option unless they want to take the Sally Spectra approach and have her forever offscreen. Somehow I don't see that happening though.

The Emmys are going to be very sad.

FYI: Last week's episode of her saying "Goodnight" to Jill while she walked up the stairs was her last episode. How very fitting and perfect. Here is the scene - "Goodnight" - Katherine and Jill

Wow.

Edited by twistedsoul7, May 8, 2013 @ 8:11 PM.

miamama

miamama

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 7:50 PM

I would love an hour devoted to Katherine. I generally loved anything with Katherine and Jill over the years, especially the old stuff when Katherine was a drunk insecure housewife and Jill was trashy and busty and a complete threat. That writing was so ahead of its time. 

I refused to even believe Cane was a part of Katherine's story. ugh. Much as I avoided watching or thinking about Amber in Katherine's orbit.

I too would be amazed if they brought in a recast. They may have been talking about Michael Learned when there was a chance JC was coming back and needed a back-up for when she wasn't well enough to be onscreen. It would be in very poor taste to have another actress play her. It's comparable to retiring a sports player's number. Katherine Chancellor cannot be played by anyone else now, even for two scenes. She was an icon. 

Eden Winchester

Eden Winchester

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 7:56 PM

So sad to hear about JC. She was truly a master at her craft. I'm going to miss Mrs. C something terrible but I do think that JC would've wanted to go out this way;  working right up until the end. And its so wonderfully ironic that on the show's 40th anniversary year, its most cherished mainstay has bowed out.

With grace, sass and just a touch of drama. All the things that made Katherine Chancellor such an amazing grand dame of daytime. I too would not like Micheal Learned to assume the the role either. I'd rather have Katherine die onscreen as well or as someone mentioned earlier, have her garner immortality like Sally Spectra on B&B. 

She could never be replaced. Ever. 

R.I.P. Duchess. 

Edited by Eden Winchester, May 8, 2013 @ 7:58 PM.

pieinmyeye

pieinmyeye

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

Such sad, sad news. Jeanne Cooper was truly one of the GREATS!! I pray that her family will be granted comfort and strength.