The Young and the Restless

• Please log in to reply

121561 replies to this topic

Poll: Character Nicknames (377 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel character nicknames should be handled in the thread?

1. Don't allow nicknames at all. (112 votes [29.79%])

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

2. Allow nicknames, but with a pinned post at the top of the thread explaining them. (178 votes [47.34%])

Percentage of vote: 47.34%

3. Allow nicknames without the pinned post and people will figure it out. (86 votes [22.87%])

Percentage of vote: 22.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:44 AM

Wondering about the nicknames used in the thread? Poster SweePea59 was kind enough to take the time to compile them for us. You can find them here, here, and here, so please check the posts out before asking in the thread. Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 11, 2011 @ 3:54 PM.
Updated links to nicknames

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 19, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

Making a new ruling on tweets, since they are prevalent in this thread:

In the future, please link to individual tweets or a Twitter feed instead of copying and pasting them into a post. Not everyone wants to read them; those who do can follow your links. And technically, they are copyrighted material just like a blog post or an article, so they shouldn't be copied and pasted anyway.

In addition, please don't just post tweets -- add some commentary or thoughts of your own. A post full of tweets is just like a list post -- boring to read. We want to know YOUR thoughts. This is especially important in single-thread shows like this one.

PM me if you have questions or comments.

LithoGirl

LithoGirl

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

If MM is 4 years older than the actor playing nuKyle, that means that the nuKyle dude is in his 30's. What??? How old is Kyle now, anyway?

Caty

Caty

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

Anyway, I think recasting of the first Tucker was unnessisary, but even more importantly, the entire character of Tucker is unnessisary. He could be cut tomorrow and we'd lose nothing from a SL POV.

AAAKK it might make Sopha's presence on Y&R more meaningless and oh! the outrage, the injustic that would be [/scarcasm]

PatsyandEddie

PatsyandEddie

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

Supposedly he just graduated college. I think he majored in Revenge and minored in Chip on My Shoulder.

Melle

Melle

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

I'm finding there is a lot of forshadowing for the demise of either Catherine or Murphy. Is this my imagination?

Caty

Caty

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

The forshadowing I am interested in is Kyle's demise after saying that he'll be his own man, captain of his ship, or something to that effect. Having Diane as mom, a greedy unscrupulous manipulative bitch and the haplessness fickle woman switcher-perpetual loser, Jack, for a dad it could paint a fun picture of Kyle Fonzerelli. Especially as it looks like Adam wants to do some mentoring on this guy.

Spoiler

Edited by Caty, May 2, 2012 @ 6:58 PM.

katierose295

katierose295

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Supposedly he just graduated college.

Oh for God's sake, I thought he'd just graduated from high school. I have even less sympathy for him if he's supposed to be a college grad and he's still whining at Victor for a place to live. If he's supposed to be the new Adam-ish bad boy, it's still not working for me. Honestly, I think even Ricky has more of a rebellious edge and he's kinda like a bowl of lumpy oatmeal most days. (Although his Phyllis crusade is making me reluctantly vote for the guy.)

Anyway, I feel like they brought Kyle back on a whim, with no idea what to do with him long term. Is there a pool on how long the character will be in town? I figure sometime in Aug. they'll send him out of town for a few months, then bring him back as a recast, then -by Christmas- Kyle will have joined the Peace Corps and be living in the Amazon or something.

bunting

bunting

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

I love Jill and Lauren together. Like someone else said, they're my favorite family.

Victor shit on Diane just as much as anyone, so why Kyle goes running to him makes no sense unless he's planning on using Vic. That I would applaud. Maybe Lauren and Michael will put the screws to old Vic with those investigators. Michael has a lot of dirt on the old coot.

Jess Walton and Tracey Bregman have taken a story that didn't make any sense because of the way it twisted history and have quickly created a wonderful bond between two sisters. They are fast approaching becoming my favorite siblings. It feels like they have been sisters since birth. See what happens when you just let two good actresses play character driven scenes. They are perfect for each other. Lauren needed a family member that was not a Fisher Baldwin to turn to and Jill needed someone she could show her softer side to. JW even has wondeful chemistry with CLB's Michael (also love how he calls her sis) and JuC's Gloria. Sad that just as they are giving us these nice Jill scenes Jess is about to take a 6 month leave.

I would love Michael and Lauren to use their combined smarts and business savvy to cause all kinds of headaches for Victor. I wait for the day that Michael bests Victor and we see Victor fuming because Michael used his knowledge of Victor to take him down a few pegs. Now, who should Michael work with?

Loved, loved Lauren telling Michael, "Nobody messes with my man and gets away with it." This is the Lauren I love. They need to get rid of Daisy and let Lauren move on from being a victim. And glad that Michael was allowed to look at Lauren with love for his kick ass woman and not with worry she is about to fall apart. CLB and TEB have such wonderful chemistry.

Ok, so Avery will be working closely to both Victor and Nick. Phyllis will not be pleased. Anyone notice that Avery has been baring more cleavage lately? Must be in preparation for her role as Victor's new minion. Victor is such an ass the way he patronised Lauren and told Michael that basically he should come before Michael's own family. I guess he will prefer Avery since she currently is a lonely girl with no life. Never really thought of Avery with Victor, but she would be so much better than Victor and Sharon.

I get Ashley being a bit miffed, but why did she pack her bags to leave the apartment? Poor Tucker has no clue on how to be married and Ashley is back to her Ice Princess role. Was she flirting with Cane at the office though?

Edited by bunting, May 2, 2012 @ 7:40 PM.

cmb81

cmb81

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

I loved Nikki Newman on the CDN show today. FLOVED!

Spoiler

Didn't Nick ask Sharon to marry him when she was pregnant with Faith? I know he did it with Summer. That is his knee jerk reactions.

Female: I'm pregnant
Dumb Nick: Will you marry me?

I suspect Avery will be causes some issues with Phick. Nick did like her and we all know Avery is the one who really ended it.

I understand Ashley being ticked about Gen/Tuck. I mean honestly if her being his childhood pal wasn't a big deal -- why lie about it? He made it a massive thing for no freaking reason.

I'm finding there is a lot of forshadowing for the demise of either Catherine or Murphy. Is this my imagination?

Sadly I think they are just preparing themselves for the day they get that dreaded phone call. *ugly cries*

Edited by cmb81, May 2, 2012 @ 7:42 PM.

PatsyandEddie

PatsyandEddie

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

It must be mine too. I thought they were so sweet and then suddenly I was completely chilled. It sure looked like an anvil to me. *sob*

Nikki's face was classic!! LMAO!

Edited by PatsyandEddie, May 2, 2012 @ 7:44 PM.

cmb81

cmb81

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

Jeff Branson has been pretty chatty on twitter today. He drops some hints that Ronan is returning. He better not be Phyllis' babydaddy. Though I guess he and Heather could hook up again. Or maybe he and Chloe will finally get a real shot. *crossies*

capricasix

capricasix

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

Ooh, a Ronan/Avery hookup would be the hotness.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

So he's going to look bored and "snark" his way through a few months of scenes before leaving for pilot season yet again? Isn't that Billy Miller's role on the show?

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:29 AM

If he's supposed to be the new Adam-ish bad boy, it's still not working for me. Honestly, I think even Ricky has more of a rebellious edge and he's kinda like a bowl of lumpy oatmeal most days.

Blargh, I agree with you. I think I root for Ricky because I think he's a ticking bomb crazy and will unleash something - preferably killing Phyllis. But this NuKyle? No thanks. So far with his Fonzie attitude (thanks Suby), he's just a bad boy wannabe. And I don't want Adam to make him as his Apprentice. There's only one Sith Master!

Gee Mr. Newman can I come and visit you in your office anytime I want? Gee Mr. Newman can I come and live at your house? Gee Mr. Newman, can I have a job?

Yikes. This is what bothering me about NuKyle. For a college grad but still whiny like that...

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:57 AM

. If [Kyle's] supposed to be the new Adam-ish bad boy, it's still not working for me.

I thought that was supposed to be Ricky?

How many bad boys in one age group does one show need? And they aren't even "Bad"--Ricky is boring, Adam came across as all over the map and Kyle is a tool for paling around with Victor, who did more to ruin Diane's life than anyone (Nikki excluded).

IOU_Payne

IOU_Payne

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

Can we add Fonzie to the nickname list, please? It totally fits his sanitized-and-neutered-bad-boy persona. Given his sitcom-y characterization, he should logically live in Vic & Billy's garage apartment, where he could pop in at inappropriate intervals, utter his catch phrase and leave. Because otherwise, we'd have to see a young man struggling to reconcile both of his parents' imperfections while acknowledging their love for their child, and that's waaaaay too nuanced for this writing regime.

I keep thinking of the episode of Friends where either Phoebe or Rachel was in labour and her obstetrician was obsessed with the Fonz. Maybe Kyle can be SORASed thru medical school in time to deliver Babe o'Phick and recreate the magic! Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

softbatch

softbatch

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

Fonzie is a real chip off the old block. Just like his mother, he's relying on a rich old man to take care of him. Gag.

Although, I like the actor a lot, and think he has a sweet face. I hope he sticks around.

TobinAlbers

TobinAlbers

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Delurking to support this notion wholeheartedly. Although it'd be mighty complicated if he is indeed Phyllis' baby daddy.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Why are Adam and Kyle so close? Adam looked and sounded like he was being reunited with his first love. I don't recall them being so tight? Adam is Victor's son. Kyle is Jack and Diane's son and spent almost his entire life away from Genoa City. When Kyle was back in town for like six months as a ten year old, was he living at Victor's house with Diane? But wasn't Adam at the Athletic Club by then?

I found myself surprised yesterday. Usually I think Ashley is such a twit about everything, but I actually agreed with her. Genevieve has been a thorn in the Abbott family's side for months. Ashley had every right to expect that her husband would have mentioned the fact that they were a couple some 30 years ago.

I find the whole new old relationship to be quite jarring. As in, hey, we need to give both of these characters more story. Let's invent a past. Frankly, why Tucker? He's truly an extraneous and dead weight character on this show. Genevieve has been in town for months and is this the first time they've interacted? Where is Tucker supposed to be from anyways? He's not originally local to GC is he? I'm assuming that Genevieve therefore is from whatever town he is from.

One thing that was definitively cleared up for me is that Genevieve is indeed American. After the "Cane's going to get deported because he's not an American citizen" retcon debacle, I was kind of assuming that they were going to say that Genevieve is Australian, and has been in the U.S. for so long that she lost her accent. A big nope to that.

Joimiaroxeu

Joimiaroxeu

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Delurking to support this notion wholeheartedly. Although it'd be mighty complicated if he is indeed Phyllis' baby daddy.

How could Ronan be the baby's father? It's been months since Phyllis was last with him. She'd be showing a lot more than she does if she'd been pregnant that long, especially given how skinny she is. But for sure, if Ronan gets with Avery, that would kill Phyllis (not literally but we could only hope). I'm surprised Ronan is coming back since his last send-off seemed pretty final, what with farewell tour he did around town. He'll have quite the pick of ladies this time: Avery, Heather, Chelsea, and maybe even Sharon.

Why are Adam and Kyle so close? Adam looked and sounded like he was being reunited with his first love. I don't recall them being so tight? Adam is Victor's son. Kyle is Jack and Diane's son and spent almost his entire life away from Genoa City. When Kyle was back in town for like six months as a ten year old, was he living at Victor's house with Diane? But wasn't Adam at the Athletic Club by then?

Adam and Diane were pretty tight but I don't recall Adam being around Kyle very much if at all. Adam's reaction was weird, but no weirder than Kyle now being a college graduate when only a few months ago he was in middle school.

Genevieve has been in town for months and is this the first time they've interacted?

This isn't the first time they've interacted but it wasn't known that she and Tucker had a past until Gen bought BON.

I think Ashley had a good point. Gen was about to marry Jack and would have been in-laws with Ashley and Tucker. When was Tucker (or Gen for that matter) going to mention that he knew Gen? Plus, Tucker met Colin at Chancellor Mansion. He gave his blessings of a sort to Colin and Jill's hasty marriage. Tucker obviously knew who Colin was (beyond his association with Jill and Cane) and yet he said nothing. It was a dumb secret for Tucker to keep, at least to keep from Ashley. It's not like Ashley would have had any reason to feel jealous but now she's got to wonder if Tucker's still carrying a torch for Gen and that's why he kept it to himself.

BakersDozen

BakersDozen

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

One thing that was definitively cleared up for me is that Genevieve is indeed American. After the "Cane's going to get deported because he's not an American citizen" retcon debacle....

I don't mean to be nitpicky here, but if one of your parents is an American citizen, doesn't that also entitle the child to having American citizenship too? In the least, you'd have dual citizenship, right? If that's true, wouldn't the whole "Cane deportation" s/l be a complete hoax? These MWT are just plain awful.

BTW, I just read the new SID cover story on Sharin' and Prictor's
Spoiler
described in breathless detail by Y&R's head writer, Scott Hamner. His comments were beyond laughable as he justified this abomination and tried to sell it as
Spoiler
. What a joke. This guy is the head ape and deserves a rotten banana.

Why are Adam and Kyle so close? Adam looked and sounded like he was being reunited with his first love. I don't recall them being so tight?

Perhaps Adam & Kyle are members of NAMBLA....only kidding.

Well, maybe they had a connection off screen. Diane liked Adam and Kyle probably knew it. They do share one thing in common, both have basically been rejected by their fathers and have resentments towards them. Auntie Jack and El Pricko suck in the paternal love department. My sense is that Adam will become Kyle's sounding board. We'll see what develops.

Edited by BakersDozen, May 3, 2012 @ 10:38 PM.

dagazer

dagazer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

blackwing

It's completely ridiculous how people are acting like Adam and Diane were friends so Kyle and Adam are friends. Adam used Diane as much as Diane used Adam. They were just in a mutually beneficial arrangement, not friendship. Adam was the one who had no problems using Kyle as bait for the lets frame Victor for murder scheme. Diane was stupid to agree to using her son but this nonsense of "Adam didn't manhandle Diane on the bridge so he is her friend" makes just as much sense as Kyle throwing himself to be Victor's new boot-licker.

totallyKewl

totallyKewl

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

They were just in a mutually beneficial arrangement, not friendship.

In the real world this might be so, but in the twisted soap opera world of Y&R through Diane's fucked up mind, Adam was her friend, her only friend. Did she use him? You bet. Did he use her? Indeed, but they had a mutual respect for each other in their little games that they were playing out in GC. I actually enjoyed their exchanges very much.

MM and MW worked very well together. Funny thing is that they became off-screen friends as well. They post their exchanges about their families getting together on twitter.

Edited by totallyKewl, May 3, 2012 @ 1:13 PM.

dagazer

dagazer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Even in Diane's mind, as portrayed onscreen, Diane didn't consider Adam a friend. To her, he proposed a deal that was mutually beneficial. Just because they worked well in trying to frame Victor for murder, which isn't hard when they had a mutual enemy as well, still doesn't make it a friendship.

totallyKewl

totallyKewl

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

To her, he proposed a deal that was mutually beneficial. Just because they worked well in trying to frame Victor for murder, which isn't hard when they had a mutual enemy as well, still doesn't make it a friendship.

I guess I just interpret their relationship differently. YMMV.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I don't mean to be nitpicky here, but if one of your parents is an American citizen, doesn't that also entitle the child to having American citizenship too? In the least, you'd have dual citizenship, right? If that's true, wouldn't the whole "Cane deportation" s/l be a complete hoax? These MWT are just plain awful.

Yes, exactly. At the time, if you recall, there was all this drama about Cane being imminently deported because he was in the country illegally. They found out he wasn't actually Phillip Chancellor, and that he was an Australian citizen. I can't recall what happened after that... whether he married someone (Chloe? Amber? Lily?) or got deported or what.

But I guess the point is, if his mother (Genevieve) is American, you would think that as soon as he got news that he's about to get deported, he'd say, "but my mom is an American" and that'd be the end of it. Probably one of the bigger retcon holes in recent show history. Although, the entire Cane/Phillip Chancellor thing is an entire retcon issue as well. It would be nice for once if they had a long term plan for new characters instead of just pulling it out of their asses and making things up as they go along to suit actor and/or character needs.

I predict that Sofia and Harmony are going to turn out to be long lost sisters. I don't know how. But it's Maria Bell. And it will happen.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

I think Sofa could more likely be YoHarmony's long lost daughter, but then there's her back story with her father being a friend or associate of Tucker, and Devon would be her brother instead of stepson.

Maybe Genevieve and Tucker knew each other in a foreign country, like an island belonging to a Cassidine. That's what I was thinking when I saw that picture.

itsallgravy

itsallgravy

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

Adam and Diane were pretty tight but I don't recall Adam being around Kyle very much if at all.

My interpretation of the Adam/Kyle scene was that Adam knew Diane and liked her at least a little and/or sympathized with the way she was treated by Nick and Victor. So knowing that Kyle lost his mother recently he probably felt sorry for him. He also may have been channeling his feelings for Hope a little bit as she died not all that long ago and losing a mother is a very painful experience. It goes along with the whole "Adam is trying to be a better person thing" which the writers seem to be following thru with.

PatsyandEddie

PatsyandEddie

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

But for sure, if Ronan gets with Avery, that would kill Phyllis (not literally but we could only hope).

I pray for this daily. It can't happen soon enough. She is even more unbearable than usual and I can't bear to see Avery grovel. If Ronan does come back I want him as far as way from that swirling vortex of whoredom known as Phyllis.

I found the Adam/Kyle greeting rather bizarre as well. I wonder when they had any contact that would have resulted in that friendly a hug. I couldn't remember anything. Maybe it was to put them together for long enough to get hit with the anvil that they look so much alike.

JMHO but Scott Hamner is an asshat. I can't believe they would willing go along with this horseshit of Shictor. It's going to kill ratings so if they want to be unemployed that badly they might as well. They don't give a flying fuck what the viewers want anyways. They seem to be stuck in an adolscent stage of perversion.

cmb81

cmb81

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

So much goes down on tomorrow's show

Spoiler

I would love Avery and Ronan. I think they could be a fun duo and it would drive Phyllis insane. Though I am sure they will just stick him with NuNu-Heather.

In other casting news --
Spoiler

Edited by cmb81, May 3, 2012 @ 4:44 PM.

Melle

Melle

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

I was FF'ing, so am not sure what happened to
Spoiler