The Bold and the Beautiful

• Please log in to reply

29485 replies to this topic

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

So when Bill yesterday was talking about how all women take after their mothers, did he not think that whole argument through to its logical conclusion? He's railing against Hope, claiming she's just another version of Brooke. However, if Hope is just like Brooke because Brooke's her mother, than Brooke would be just like her own mother, and Bill's wife, being the daughter of the same mother (as Brooke) would be the same as Brooke and, therefore, Hope, no? Or am I applying logic to a show were logic has left the building?

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

There is no logic where this show is concerned! But, I'll take the bait and see if I can figure this out. It's a helluva a lot more fun/interesting than discussing the ToD!

Beth Logan is the mother of Brooke, Donna, Katie and (the late) Storm. Beth was seen as a victim of losing her first (and presumably only) love, Eric, to Stephanie's manipulations (does Stephanie's namesake ring a bell?) Since Stephanie (hypocritical pre-cursor to Brooke) was having SEX with more than one man, when she got knocked up with Ridge by Mossimo, she either honestly thought or consciously decided that Eric was the father. Thus, the decades-long roller-coaster marriage...

I only recall seeing Beth with Eric or her husband, Stephen. Beth was always portrayed as a worn-out, hard-working single mother of four kids who worked herself to death to support them. She didn't have a revolving door of men in her life and she owned a very successful catering business.

The only traits that I see in both Brooke and Katie that are like Beth are that they are both hard-working career women. That gene must have skipped Donna. I think that deep-down that all three are looking for a dominant paternal-type of personality in a mate as sort of "father figure." That's where the similarity ends.

So, I think that if Bill and Katie ever had a child, he could put his worries aside that Katie didn't pick up any dire pathologies from Beth Logan that might taint a daughter. /eye roll. Sorry, but that takes me back to that link we read about Brad Bell saying that he was turning Bill into Archie Bunker... /can't wait. Talk about ruining a character.

Anyway, I think that Bill's concerns about Hope (and rightfully so) would be any potential learned behavior that Hope has obtained from Brooke. Brooke was a poor role model in the fact that she confused her younger children about who their father was, she was also sexually promiscuous, which led to scandals. While Hope is taking the opposite stand, I think that Bill's point is that there is a potential for extreme behavior here. It's either all or nothing and there is going to be a lot of drama a long the way to sustain whichever direction your moral compass is pointed. Hope seems unable to maintain equilibrium. I blame a lot of that on her age, circumstances (prior to ToD) and maturity level. The transition from her being a well-adjusted high school senior to suddenly managing a huge line at a major fashion house, in addition to falling in love for her first time (with OLIVER) would be too much for anybody.

So, I agree that Bill's logic was flawed, but I can see where he is coming from. But again, he needs to look back and see (like Alison pointed out) that Hope was doing/functioning very well before she became involved with HIS son.

Regarding the ToD... first, I HATED JH's hair. B&B must have the reject stylists from other shows. That chopped job looked awful and totally detracted from his looks. It's been ages since I've seen ATWT, so was that his typical look in the last years? Ugh. I see that JMW has another new multi-colored weave now with short bangs and another 6" longer.

Interesting how Steffy knew the doctor already. If she was a patient, then that automatically introduces an "ick" factor. OTOH, if she knows him casually, I'd also say GO FOR IT!!! I'd bet that probably JH is on for the short run. If Brad Bell's latest SL is in the lesbian direction, there is hardly room for another man (in his mind.) I imagine that actor would command a high salary, and it probably just isn't in the cards.

But today's show was yawn... Hope, yet again, apologizing and can't understand her reactions. Liam offered her possible solutions for dealing with the paparazzi that ALL OF US have offered in hindsight. It's really proving to show how weak and immature that Hope is. Liam has grounds to question her.

I was shocked that Steffy signed the annulment papers. I don't trust her, but what she said to Ramona seemed to make sense. Really, both Hope and Steffy need to move on from Liam. Why can't all three be free to be young and date around and just have fun??

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:32 AM

I never, ever thought these words would pass my lips ... err my keyboard: I'd rather watch Brooke and Ridge than this Hope/Liam/Steffy nonsense.

This. Not because the ToD is any more or less tedious than Bridge, but it is literally NON STOP. All day, every day. At least with Brooke and Ridge, the focus would occasionally shift from them to other characters/storylines for at least a couple of days.

I remember the days when many fans of the show thought Jack Wagner and writing all the stories to revolve around him would kill the show, but that was nothing compared to the endless campaign of Team Hope versus Team Steffy. Because that's what it is--a competition not just between Dumb and Dumber, but all their fucking relatives trying to fight blood feuds and using them to do so. It's disgusting.

CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

While Stephanie always interfered in Ridge's and, to a lesser extent, her "lesser" children's love lives, she was seen as meddling by all concerned. Her children did not want her interference. Even with the TOD, Liam has told his father to butt out on numerous occasions.

But with Hope, the creepy, creepy way Rick longs for her happiness and Brooke's breathless concern is not only way over the top, but actually seems to be welcomed by Hope. Brooke sits in on her therapy sessions, for Pete's sake. Has Hope ever told her mother to back off, let her fight her own battles? All this does is highlight the fact that Hope is a very immature, needy, entitled little girl.

Shira

Shira

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Heads-up to anybody who stopped watching this show because it sucks, and only watches it when you read here that it's good: watch today's episode online! Such excellent writing in the opening scene with Liam/Hope and (to a lesser extent) the closing scene with Liam/Steffy. Really well-acted by Scott Clifton. Not so much by Kim M.--she seems to be going downhill fast for me--no pun intended with her ski collision! Lol...

I don't know if they're just trying to paint Hope as this simplistic little girl, but she's just so immature about relationships, and Liam was spot-on when he was asking her how he's supposed to marry her if she has no ability to cope with the stress of being in the spotlight as a Spencer, and the everyday stresses like motherhood, or even life's big tragedies. He said something to the tune of "since when did you become unable to cope with the negative opinions of strangers?" I FLOVED the whole scene, and I want THAT Liam back on the show, instead of the loser-idiot-waffle that he so often portrays. He should submit that scene for an Emmy. Really good stuff!

This is why I put up with the other 98% of crap on the show. Now and then, they really strike oil. I mean, it's very rare, but when they get it right, it's great.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

Dare I say it, the past two episodes were actually fairly good. I might have been influenced by how they seemingly, finally, addressed the whole "sins of the older generation revisited" and "nobody's happy" elements of the ToD, because God knows we've kvetched about those enough, but seeing Liam and Hope actually talking seriously about her recent lack of coping mechanisms (combined with, albeit briefly, Hope revisiting her differences from Mom) was a refreshing change of pace. Albeit, they still fumbled the ball a bit in today's episode with Hope's ambiguous departure from Aspen (and I'm still wary of what might be coming in the next episode or two), but this was definitely a more interesting--well, interesting period couple of episodes.

MaddieG

MaddieG

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

That was a terrific scene, Shira. I've watched it 3 times already. Absolutely great acting by Scott. I felt his frustration, the pain of his mother's death, and his sense of helplessness. Now I know why $Bill has trusted him with a major role in his company. And you're right that Kim M. did not rise to the occasion, but neither did her lines. Each time she mentioned giving up the pills, I thought "your're not getting it."

Also really enjoyed the scenes between Liam and Steffy very much. They both did a good job. See.....the writers can come up with the goods sometimes. The entire scripted part of the show runs less than 20 minutes a day. Can't they manage to fill every show with such pleasant surprises.

And Rick IS really getting creepier than he used to be (didn't think it was possible). Can't we just get rid of him?

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

Yes, I also echo thanks to Shirafor the heads-up. Usually, when I watch B&B, just because of the constant focus on the ToD, I am catching up on the rest of the newspaper that I missed reading before work. Really, I can't remember any SL on B&B that has consumed so much screen time -- EVER.

The opening scene with Liam and Hope was very good. I'm glad that Liam finally took off the gloves with his remark along the lines of "we're not going to discuss this like we're in high school" and made Hope realize that it's not just the paparazzi that she can't deal with, but the overall realities of daily living. Bill's message, although not delivered well, has finally taken root. Hope has been so overly-protected and sheltered by Brooke, that the poor girl has no idea about how to cope with the realities of life.

I actually thought that KM held her own in that scene. Her initial clueless response about taking pills was not very good -- but typical, immature, etc. However, as Liam was talking, I could start to see it slowly sink in to Hope that she has a much more over-arching problem than the press annoying her for a few weeks. I also saw it unfold when Hope was looking in the mirror and reflecting during her plane trip. (OK, via montage -- gag -- but still.) I understand how Brooke's bad example has had a very confusing impact on Hope, but Hope needs to start accepting her share of the responsibility.

I'm guessing that when Hope returns to L.A. that she's going to come clean work with Dr. Barton. I still don't think that she's in any position to get married to Liam right away.

Kudos to JMW for how much she's improved in such a short period of time on the show. (Does anybody else remember her first cringe-worthy first couple of season where she was dating Mushmouth and going to work dressed in what was more or less a bath towel/mini-dress?) I like that the writers have added a new dimension to Steffy's character. Now that she's in that "once-bitten-twice-shy/older but wiser" mode, she's much more likeable. Today, truthfully, was the first day that I actually saw some real chemistry between Liam and Steffy when Steffy was cracking jokes. Her character previously seemed so humorless, so that was a nice touch.

However, I think that gives her bitch side multiple new layers to hide under. ("I'm only looking out for Hope. We've all had too much pain, heartache," etc.) I still don't trust Steffy and I think that her signing the annulment papers is just the pre-cursor to some scheme she's cooking up. You know that she has some strategy in mind.

Hey, I'm on board with the person who said "go for Holden!" When he said for Steffy to "follow-up with him back in L.A.," that left things open. If he were interested and available, I'd say "Liam who?" and ditch that waffler in a heartbeat. It would be great to see Hope in rehab and then shipped off (by choice) to either an all girls college or nunnery and Steffy to run off with Dr??? (what was his name) and leave the waffler left in the dust.

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:25 AM

I still don't trust Steffy and I think that her signing the annulment papers is just the pre-cursor to some scheme she's cooking up. You know that she has some strategy in mind.

Maybe it'll be that she's so sure he'll leave Hope that he'll come running back--and they can get married with a fresh start, and without the waffler pining over Hope.

I'd rather she cut his ass out entirely, but I'd settle for the situation above.

bittersweet4149

bittersweet4149

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

Maybe it'll be that she's so sure he'll leave Hope that he'll come running back--and they can get married with a fresh start, and without the waffler pining over Hope.

I'd rather she cut his ass out entirely, but I'd settle for the situation above.

Damn, I was hoping she'd cross his waffling ass out, too. Can't believe how loudly I screamed Nooooooooo at the tv when he tore the papers up.

And now for something completely 'different'...we'll be treated to weeks of Forresters rending their garments and gnashing their teeth while claiming teh evol Steffy is using her injury to guilt Liam into staying with her. Oh, the humanity! Can't. Wait. *eye roll*

Edited by bittersweet4149, May 5, 2012 @ 2:49 AM.

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

Wait a tick! You mean Steffy finally signed the papers and Liam TORE THEM UP?!

I haven't seen the episode, so I didn't know that part.

Blaze518

Blaze518

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

Yep, that's just what happened. Steffy handed him the papers smiling through her tears and said, "You're free Liam" and "Thank You so much for everything," At this point I wanted to put my fist through Liam's face but I would have only wrecked the TV, LOL! Then Steffy turned away to hide her tears and Liam goes out of the scene and the next thing we hear is the sound of the annulment papers being ripped up -- camera pans to Steffy's face watching unbelievably as Liam tears up the papers and tosses them in the pristine river (he's a polluter as well as a spineless, waffling creep) -- and then he walks over to Steffy, chest puffed up as though he's a virile, decisive man -- holds out his hand and looks like he's about to kiss her. ToD has just been extended, INDEFINITELY I'm afraid.

Except we all know, by Tuesday, lame ass Liam will be back with Hope and telling Steffy it was all a mistake and the high altitude and clean Aspen air made him dizzy...I have to say JMW is rocking all of her scenes. KM -- not so much -- she's OK sometimes and pretty lousy whenever the scene calls for Hope to be stoned/ditzy on the pills. But the writing for Hope is worse than KM's acting. I had real hopes that Steffy could finally be free of Liam when she signed the annulment papers and would then be footloose and fancy free and pursuing the good Doctor played by Jon Hensley. But no, BB had to go and throw us this curve! At this point, from what I've seen, almost everyone wants the ToD to end because it's eating the show alive. Guess this will continue until they go to Italy. Maybe they'll all fall into Mt. Vesuvius!

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

[quote]Guess this will continue until they go to Italy. Maybe they'll all fall into Mt. Vesuvius![ /quote]

I'm giving this until Italy because I'm convinced they won't be able to resist having Hope trap Steffy on a gondola in Venice while she and Liam get married. Its embarassing to admit, but until about a month ago I didn't realize Steffy locked Hope on a ski Gondola. So I've thought a lot about how a person can be locked in a gondola of the boating variety. Can't swim. Evil mustache twirling gondolier. There is no way it wouldn't be stupid to the point of gut busting ridiculous camp.

And I have to wonder... Will locking someone on a gondola be the most heinous crime a imaginable if Hope does it?

bittersweet4149

bittersweet4149

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:05 AM

Is Brooke going to Italy, too? Cause I wouldn't mind tossing her trifling ass into Mt. Vesuvius so Hope would finally think for herself without her momma's trashy influence. But the mountain would probably come to its senses and spit her out, so we'll still be stuck with the ToD on lather, rinse, repeat.

Hurry up and bring back Jon Hensley's hot doc. Free Steffy!

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

In the last two years, I've only watched this soap a couple of times. I saw the show on Friday and it was so much better. The problem has always been with the writing. Events passed too quickly, often not making any sense. Liam could have been a great character. I liked him at the start. Then he became a waffler.

Other story lines that looked interesting were dropped. Some focused on the same triangles every day for months. UGH!

Because the story lines were rushed or run into the ground, there was little realistic drama. We've laughed at so much of it. I still throw up a little when I think of that episode with Amber seducing Liam. I never watched more than a few seconds of it.

I doubt the show will sustain the level it reached this week, but it was good to see the improvement.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

I don't know what has happened to me but this week I've come to a realization that Liam has motivations. His waffling makes sense. I understand it. I find that horrifying.

To sum it up he isn't really in love with anyone, he just wants the girl with the least amount of drama. Liam wants a drama free life so he waffles back and forth so no one is mad at him. When he finds himself in a relationship that veers off into melodrama, he keeps his head down, longing for drama free girl, and waits to find an escape hatch that allows him to exit the relationship without being the bad guy.

Its kind of a bad thing to have this motivation for a soap character. It means the TOD will always be at least two thirds boring as hell.

Hurry up and bring back Jon Hensley's hot doc. Free Steffy!

No kidding. Between JH's blink and you missed it scene and Steffy being so freaking mellow all week, I've come to the conclusion that they are sadly lacking any sizzle on this show. They have to figure out a way to get that back. Looking at the cast I think some new leading men are in order. Rick and Liam just aren't cutting it.

Edited by ParadoxLost, May 5, 2012 @ 10:21 AM.

adixon99

adixon99

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I'm just hoping that Liam tearing up the papers was Steffy's imagination. I think Steffy really needs someone older than her and some therapy to resolve her daddy issues (why is it no one ever mentions that she's always going after attached men?). I also want someone to actually call Liam out for continuing to be the waffler who started this whole mess by kissing Steffy and confiding in her when he knew it was wrong. He's impatient and clearly not ready for the commitment he keeps saying that he wants.

Amberosia

Amberosia

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Damn, I was hoping she'd cross his waffling ass out, too. Can't believe how loudly I screamed Nooooooooo at the tv when he tore the papers up.

Heh, that's funny for me just because my NOOOO shrieking occurred when Steffy signed the papers in the first place. She spent so long outright telling people no she wouldn't, and it wouldn't kill anyone to wait out the divorce that she is entitled to. And I personally admired her conviction with every Logan having their own personal copy of her annullment papers to shove in her face whenever they felt the whim. I would have crumbled long before now just to get people the hell out of my face and get them to stfu about it already. I didn't even understand why Steffy brought the papers along if she was hoping that she and Liam might have some sort of reconciliation in Aspen. Maybe she decided to bring them along when she found out Hope was coming along as well. That said, I think I was just as surprised as Steffy when he tore the papers and tossed them in the river. No... I take that back. Because when she had told them she signed them,he didn't seem all that excited by that information. Or even relieved... which also reminded me that while Hope had not too long ago tearfully beg Liam to harass Steffy into signing the papers again, he never actually got around to doing that, did he?

Well if nothing else, the Bob Hope exchange between Liam and Steffy makes a lot more sense to me now. I must have missed it when he tried to have a random Bob Hope chat with Hope, but I get it now, thanks to the fellow poster who mentioned as much.

I also can't help but notice that when Hope decides she wants a pity party she just packs up and leaves. You would think she would be a bit wary of that after how well it turned out last time. I also think that it speaks volumes that Hope insists on having Brooke sit in on her sessions with Dr. Barton to listen, and Brooke promptly starts speaking for Hope the first chance that she gets.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

I think that ParadoxLostsummed up Liam quite nicely. He really is as emotionally immature as Hope. (Actually, all three members of the ToD of doom are emotionally stunted.) Anyway, well stated that he likes things easy and that don't require any hard work or responsibility. I do think he was spot on when he called Hope out on being weak, selfish and unable to cope with the stresses of everyday life. However, if he takes a look in the mirror, himself, it's a sad, but very common occurrence of life when one's partner develops a substance abuse problem. I know that he's been sincerely trying to be supportive of Hope, but Liam falls short in the fact that he keeps having intimate chats with Steffy, hugging her, telling her how he'll always care for/love her, etc. Not exactly the correct message to a spouse you are in the process of divorcing...

I know that communication in a "mature adult" relationship is a two-way street, but this is the second time now that Hope has left Liam. I wouldn't even call her departing Aspen alone "leaving" or "abandoning" him. I believe that Hope was truly shocked and embarrassed about what happened to Steffy and decided to return home and seek immediate help. That's a good thing, but she should have had the guts to stick around and tell him in person. Of course, she would have been unpleasantly surprised to see Steffy in tow, but so what? Before jumping to conclusions, Liam could have taken a moment and thought through that Hope probably wanted to get away and have some time to think.

Anyway, like the time Hope caught Liam and Steffy making out in Liam's car and she got mad and left her engagement ring and a note on the mantel, Liam should have called Hope to see what was going on. Instead, his reaction is, "Huh. Well, she's walked out on me for good. Kaput. I'm so angry. I'm so hurt. Good thing Steffy is hanging around." Then, he runs off to Steffy for comfort sex, to bash Hope verbally, etc. Hope also could have left a more explicit note. "I let you down. See you in L.A." leave a lot of room for broad interpretation.

Once Liam gets back home and realizes that Hope is in therapy/rehab, he'll probably change his tune. All that I know is that both Hope and Brooke will go absolutely ballistic when they find out the Steffy signed the annulment papers and Liam TORE THEM UP. I can wait to hear him explain his way out of that one.

I get really irritated when Steffy waxes on and on about the "memories" of their marriage. They were only married a few months, at the very longest. The only "memories" that I recall are of sex, and the uneasy vacation to Cabo where Steffy spent the entire time running interference with Thomas. OK, so they had a few fun-filled romantic days in Aspen. Who WOULDN'T be seduced by and over-romanticize being in beautiful surroundings?

ITA that Brooke should not be accompanying Hope to her sessions with Dr. Barton. I hate the way that she speaks for Hope. Dr. Barton really need to tell Brooke that she is to listen only and respond only when it is requested that she do so.

Oh, I must mention this. WHY was Hope dressed in all WHITE ski gear? Talk about an accident waiting to happen .. it's really a miracle that somebody else didn't plow into her.

kara2288

kara2288

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

Anyway, like the time Hope caught Liam and Steffy making out in Liam's car and she got mad and left her engagement ring and a note on the mantel, Liam should have called Hope to see what was going on.

Liam did call Hope after he found the ring. IIRC, he asked her what happened, and all she said was "you know why."

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

the next thing we hear is the sound of the annulment papers being ripped up -- camera pans to Steffy's face watching unbelievably as Liam tears up the papers and tosses them in the pristine river

I watched and didn't even see any of that. I liked Thanks for the Memory, even though SC can't sing at all. Yay, HBS is playing Hope's therapist. Why couldn't they get Michael Park instead of Hensley? I also think KM has been terrible lately, but maybe she's just tired of the role. Anyway, they're doing a great job of getting me to root for Steffie, which I didn't think would happen.

Guess this will continue until they go to Italy. Maybe they'll all fall into Mt. Vesuvius

Mt. Etna would be so much better, but they would have to take a side trip to Sicily.

Joimiaroxeu

Joimiaroxeu

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

ITA that Brooke should not be accompanying Hope to her sessions with Dr. Barton. I hate the way that she speaks for Hope. Dr. Barton really need to tell Brooke that she is to listen only and respond only when it is requested that she do so.

Dr. Barton should not allow Brooke to attend at all. Hope is legally an adult and should be treated as one in spite of her childish behavior. Dr. Barton should be able to see by now that Brooke has boundary issues with her daughter which may be contributing to Hope's problems. Brooke probably should be scheduling her own sessions with Dr. Barton, or Dr. Barton should refer Hope to another doctor who isn't so chummy with her mother.

OK, so they had a few fun-filled romantic days in Aspen. Who WOULDN'T be seduced by and over-romanticize being in beautiful surroundings?

The air is very thin up there (relative to Los Angeles, anyway). At lot of the "romance" was probably just oxygen deprivation.

I know that communication in a "mature adult" relationship is a two-way street, but this is the second time now that Hope has left Liam.

And how many times is it that Hope's made a unilateral decision which affects both of them, without discussing it with Liam first? He should be upset about her just leaving like that, and she should likewise be upset about his tearing up the annulment papers. (Not to worry; Brooke probably has 10,000 more copies of them. However, good luck getting Steffy to sign them again.) Gotta give Hope points though for being secure enough to fly off and leave Liam there with Steffy.

All that I know is that both Hope and Brooke will go absolutely ballistic when they find out the Steffy signed the annulment papers and Liam TORE THEM UP. I can wait to hear him explain his way out of that one.

I can't wait until he has to go to Steffy and ask her to sign them again. Ugh, Liam is such a tool.

I didn't even understand why Steffy brought the papers along if she was hoping that she and Liam might have some sort of reconciliation in Aspen. Maybe she decided to bring them along when she found out Hope was coming along as well.

Didn't Brooke sneak them into Steffy's bag? I don't think Steffy knew they were there until she got to Aspen.

Amberosia

Amberosia

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

Didn't Brooke sneak them into Steffy's bag? I don't think Steffy knew they were there until she got to Aspen.

Ohhh... how very... Brooke. See, now that makes a lot more sense and that I can totally buy into. I'm not even bothered by the fact that Steffy didn't even seem all that surprised finding them there. Because really, as often as the Logans have stuck those papers in her face, it probably isn't even a shock to come across them anymore. She probably knocks over a stack of them just reaching for the tp in the restroom. I know I'm to the point that I scowl whenever I see a blue folder or piece of paper that ventures too close to the same shade of blue as the folder holding those damn papers.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:49 AM

They did show Brooke stuffing Annulment Papers Copy #42 into Steffy's purse before she left for Aspen, yes.

After this past week, I'm hoping and praying (no doubt in vain) that they're heading for Hope stepping back from her relationship with Liam so she can figure herself out, and Liam and Steffy can be content--not happy, nobody's happy on this damn show but Bridge and maybe Rosie--for a while in a non-ToD way. Hell, let them sing old showtunes to each other. I'm actually okay with that.

grisgris:

All that I know is that both Hope and Brooke will go absolutely ballistic when they find out the Steffy signed the annulment papers and Liam TORE THEM UP. I can wait to hear him explain his way out of that one.

Heads exploding might actually be an improvement. Just saying.

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:08 AM

Dr. Barton should refer Hope to another doctor who isn't so chummy with her mother.

Like Taylor?

....seriously, I'm sort of surprised that TPTB brought in another doc on this, since they love to have Taylor counsel everyone on this show, and she's got as many problems as any of them.

As for Liam tearing up the paper, the only good thing out of it is he's finally taking SOME kind of action, rather than be yelled at by Ridge or $Bill and he's not staring ling a deer in the headlights or grinning. Still, I can't wait for him to wiggle his way out of this.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

I didn't catch Brooke slipping the annulment papers into Steffy's bag. Typical. I also wondered why Steffy would take them with her to Aspen. Didn't make any sense. Don't such papers have to be drawn up by an attorney? Can you just obtain/make copies? Also, since Liam initially filed the paperwork, wouldn't HE be the only one who could request replacement copies? So, I don't understand how Brooke is able to get so many copies...

Regarding Hope, I guess that I forgot that Liam tried to call her after she abruptly broke off the engagement. If her only response was "you KNOW why" without further explanation, then well, she probably got what she deserved. Liam probably had no clue that Hope saw him kissing Steffy in her car. (Which he shouldn't have been doing anyway.) That's yet another example of Hope's passive-aggressive behavior where she won't clearly communicate that's bothering her. I'd have called his waffling ass on him straight-away and probably barged up to the steamy vehicle and pounded on the windows until Liam opened the door

I do think that while Hope was commendable to up and leave Aspen without Liam, she really should have stuck around and told him in person that she was going home and why. At the very least, if she had to leave a note, she could have been more explicit. You know, if Hope had waited until Liam got home (even with Steffy) apologized to Steffy and explained why she was going home, that probably would have raised the level of respect from both Liam and Steffy to a much higher level and the situation would most likely have played out differently.

Yeah, usually, all mentally ailing characters go to Taylor for therapy, not that it isn't a huge conflict of interest and borderline violating ethics. I was surprised that the writers brought in a new character because usually the back-up shrink is Dr. James Warwick. (I think the actor is currently on another show, so he was unavailable.) At least the writers displayed the common sense that it would be completely inappropriate for Taylor to be counseling Hope in this particular situation.

The way Liam will weasel out of this is pretty predictable. He will state that he felt that Hope lied to him about taking pills and then walked out on him. That would possibly hold water. However, where he is going to hang himself is when he is confronted with the fact that since Steffy FINALLY signed the annulment papers, why did he tear them up and throw them in the river? Does this mean that he still loves Steffy? Does he want to give the marriage a second chance? Is he finished with Hope? He's obviously leading one of them on and had to make a decision. There will be a lot of pressure from Taylor and Brooke and Bill, to add to the stress.

ITA and I will say it again... why Hope and Steffy are both so hell-bent on being with Liam is mind-boggling. I would love to see Hope work out her issues with Dr. Barton and go to a local university and work part-time at FC, (in a low-key position) and maybe she could work things out with Oliver. Now that some time has passed, maybe they could make a go of it. I always thought that they were an adorable couple. Of course that got ruined with the Whoopsie-Wall sex. At least it would save ZC from nothing to front-burner status.

Let Steffy have Liam. I'd say go for "Holden," but I doubt he'll be around for very long.

Shira

Shira

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

After this past week, I'm hoping and praying (no doubt in vain) that they're heading for Hope stepping back from her relationship with Liam so she can figure herself out, and Liam and Steffy can be content--not happy, nobody's happy on this damn show but Bridge and maybe Rosie--for a while in a non-ToD way. Hell, let them sing old showtunes to each other. I'm actually okay with that.

I agree for the most part. Even though Liam has taken the King of the Waffles title away from Ridge, it actually seemed like a relief for me when he tore up the annulment papers. It was a romantic gesture, and I wish he would have totally followed through on it and promptly dumped Hope, because I find them insufferable together. Not that I enjoyed watching Steffy and Liam sing Bob Hope tunes to each other (because that lazy crap is as forced as it was with Nick and Katie bonding over pistachios and basketball), but because Steffy and Liam both seem more like adults who could actually have a relationship. Hope still seems way too young and immature to get married. Isn't she still 19 at this point? WTF is the rush? Teens getting married is rarely a good idea in my book.

It all goes back to the problem of her soapboxing about waiting 'til marriage. If she hadn't set herself up for such lofty goals, she wouldn't be in this mess of rushing to the altar. And I still don't get what real difference it would make if she moved out at this point. She's already had sex--there's no "re-virginizing" herself. Damage is done, girlfriend. I still think the smartest thing Liam has said in months (and there's NOT a lot of competition in that department) is when he asked her "since when did you become unable to handle the negative opinions of strangers?" Why doesn't she go back to the plan she originally had when she wanted to move in? She said she was going to tell her fans on her blog (or whatever) that she and Liam are committed, and you have to make choices for yourself, sometimes situations change, etc. Running from the TMZ-type of vulture press is fighting a losing battle, and she's totally letting them control the situation at this point.

Totally shallow point: Brooke looked really haggard today. The wrinkles were really visible. On the flip side, I'm glad she's not having them stretched out to the point of ridiculousness a la HTy.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

If her only response was "you KNOW why" without further explanation, then well, she probably got what she deserved. Liam probably had no clue that Hope saw him kissing Steffy in her car.

I hate to defend Hope, particularly on a day like today, but this is one scenario I cut her slack on. It just seems to me that Hope telling Liam "you know why" was good enough considering he was cheating on her. I know Liam is dim but even Liam should have been able to connect the dots between Hope is mad and What was I doing today that could have made Hope mad. That he didn't tells me that he was looking for a way out. So in this one case, I don't think Hope got what she deserved; but. on the other hand, I do agree that it was passive aggressive and that annoys me because it leads to Liam getting of the hook when he shouldn't.

Enough defending Hope for me today. She makes me crazy. I can't believe that she spent the better part of today thinking moving out will make everything better, planning her weddin,g and blaming all her problems on Steffy not signing the annulment papers. I know this is her standard operating procedure, but are we supposed to be buying that she had a wake up call in Aspen? I'm having a tough time with this storyline because I can't tell if Hope taking pills or not is a sign of her working through her problems. Or is Hope not being delusional required to signal improvement? Because if its the pills she is improving slightly. If it delusions then she is still 99% wacko.

The one thing I really wanted out of this storyline was for Hope and Brooke to realize how damaged she is and how much Brooke has to do with that. With Brooke speaking for Hope in therapy, it doesn't seem like that will happen. At what point are therpaists supposed to help patients come to grip with their problems. If they are supposed to just listen forever, Hope doesn't have a chance. I think Logans are deluded to the point that talking through these issues isn't going to lead to these realizations, they need to be hit over the head with it.

At this point I'm hoping that the sex therapist is unethical and gathering information for her next book.

Evan14

Evan14

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Liam isn't worth two women fighting over him.
Heck, a rerun of Brooke/Ridge/Taylor would be preferable to this neverending, boring Liam/Steffy/Hope thing that's taken over the entire show.
Thank goodness that stud Deacon is returning to hopefully shake things up, and I'm intigued too to see how Crystal Chappell's new character blends into the action.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

Yeah, it's hard to get an accurate read on Hope. Does she truly not have any more pills on her? The last that I saw, she gave them all to Liam, but we don't know what he did with them. He is such an idiot, that instead of safely disposing of them (which does NOT entail dumping them in the river) he probably packed them and brought them back home where Hope will find them.

I would call Steffy equally as delusional as Hope. We've seen a clear pattern with Steffy where she believes that Ridge "abandoned" her and her siblings, Ridge has his faults, and now acting like a dictator at FC, has surpassed waffling, but he has always been a good father. Steffy also has a pattern of pursuing unavailable men. I still stand firm that she is more "in love" with the idea of having a stable male figure in her life, than that she is truly "in love" with Liam. Liam was a rebound from his father. I'll bet if Bill were available or Dr. Holden showed the slightest bit of interest, she'd drop Liam in an instant. I will be curious to see how she reacts when she learns the truth.

Hope is delusional in the fact that yes, she set up that ridiculous and completely unrealistic POV (for 2012) that a woman should withhold her virginity until marriage. I don't remember how the abstinence mantra got incorporated into a clothing line that focused on using natural, sustainable fabrics. Wasn't that the initial message of "Hope for the Future?" I've forgotten when the morality messages were integrated or why. Shirais spot-on that Hope make this bed (sorry...no bad pun intended) and she has to deal with the consequences. I agree that she should have come out and updated her message to her two "fans." /snerk!!

IRT Hope taking pills. I don't think that taking pills signifies making progress, but Dr. Barton only gave Hope TWO pills to help her relax when being intimate with Liam for the first few times. The fact that Dr. Barton refused to refill the Rx, indicated to me that she wasn't looking to that as an answer. Hope needs talk therapy WITHOUT Brooke being present. It's clear that Brooke's past behavior has taken its toll on Hope. Hope needs to be able to safely and freely express her feeling to another therapist who is not chummy with Brooke. Otherwise, with Brooke sitting in and speaking on Hope's behalf, nothing will be accomplished IRT to Hope's getting better/

I agree with ParadoxLost,that endless ruminating isn't going to solve anything. The best first step was for Hope to move out of Liam's house. I was really pissed that Brooke was trying to discourage that (based on the premise, that if Liam has ready sex 24/7 he won't be tempted by Steffy's "cha-cha-cha.") Talk therapy is good, but Hope needs an action plan. I think that circumstances will dictate that.

Brooke is the DELUSIONAL one. A ring on the finger doesn't solve deep-seeded psychological and emotional issues. I still see this whole ToD as a Logan vs. Forrester feud, that another poster pointed out is just being fought via the younger generation. You know, if Liam chooses Steffy (but we know that he won't) so what? Yes, Hope will be heart-broken for a while, but she's only like 19, she'll find somebody else.

I don't know how it works in real life, but once I reached adult-hood, I didn't confide the details of my love life to my parents. I find this particularly peculiar in the way that Liam spills the beans to Bill.

It will be interesting to see if Liam tells Hope about the annulment papers.

Spoiler

I agree that Brooke did not look good today. I see that KKL lost her battle about dressing Brooke in more mature, less sexy clothes. She looked tired and she would look so much better is she'd allow the stylists to go back to her chic "Paris" haircut. That haircut and the way she was dressed -- modern, chic, still sexy -- looked great. I don't get it. Also not caring for JMW's new weave. There was such a lack in continuity from the outdoor/indoor scenes.