As the World Turns: An Era Comes to an End

• Please log in to reply

39219 replies to this topic

Jerusha Mac

Jerusha Mac

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2003 @ 7:08 PM

daniel82 great storyline for Henry & Lisa. TPTB? Listening? Please.

I LOVED Dusty yesterday! From him telling Lily off in the Lakeview (and pretty much exactly what I've been thinking) to him diving into the ucky scummy lake/puddle thingie. Don't these people realize that you're only supposed to swim in cement lined swimming pools? The other stuff has fish and icky things. Ghostly dead twin sisters at the bottom, for example.

Anyway, heroic rescue. Can't wait to see Holden's reaction to it.

As for Who Killed Rose? Don't Care.

Oh, and word for Carly being a bitch to Mitzi! Sure, she and Rose are tight for the last couple of years but Rose and Mitzi go way back. Think Rose would have really held a little thing like embezzlement against her for long? Actually that whole storyline was stupid. Why wouldn't Rose sell Mitzi the shop? And the way Rose acted to Mitzi at the time was not exactly bestfriendly. Bah. Oh. It's so that Mitzi could be a suspect too.

Scrumtrelescent

Scrumtrelescent

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:45 AM

Haven’t Kim and Nancy become nicely catty?

Damn, but I hated that part of those scenes! While it was nice to see several characters out to dinner at the same time in the same place (remember those huge multi-character scenes we used to get at the Mona Lisa?), I can't stand seeing Kim and Nancy observing Oakdale behavior from the sidelines. No way would Kim have not tried to do something for Lily - they are old friends who own the freaking television station together. The Hughes women also scurried out of the dining room when they saw Paul storming over to Barbara's table - again, no way Kim wouldn't have tried to play referee.

The writers really don't seem to spend much time thinking of good ways to use characters that are not directly involved in the storylines of the moment. We here on this board can come up with plausible ways to involve Lisa, Lucinda, John, etc., while Maura West's contract guarantee is probably partly responsible for Carly's nonsensical scene in the interrogation room (since apparently the next Jack/Carly storyline isn't coming along until February). Gotta squeeze Carly in there somehow this week. But hey, I can't say I've minded those Snyders on the backburner since their Montana wedding.

Craig used to be very close to Lily, so it was weird to see him barely register what was going on in the Lakeview dining room. Again, I love seeing lots of characters in the same place, but please -- acknowledge and respect the established relationships they have, instead of hurrying forward with the plot. Like, would it have killed anyone to give Dusty a few lines with John the night Rose died in the emergency room?

Did they actually say (or just imply) that the body of water Lily nearly drowned in was the Snyder pond? Because apparently no one on the writing staff knows that Rose was living at Cal's old house- which is next door to Emma's farm, and therefore there's no way Dusty could have beaten Holden there, since Holden was at Rose's when Dusty called him from the car.

Going back several pages - I think the guy who was first believed to have been murdered, then turned out to have died accidentally on a construction site was Michael Alcott (Richard Bekins), the ex-husband of Royce & Lucinda's sister Neal. This was a fairly minor story around 1992, I think.

Edited by Scrumtrelescent, Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:59 AM.

aliceac

aliceac

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:06 AM

Oooh, I second the Michael Alcott memory, although I never would have remembered it on my own!

Fandomania , you're absolutely right. If Molly did it to push Paul and Rose together, it makes no sense to frame Paul. Now I'm perplexed. (and think the writers may have screwed up.)

majiggie

majiggie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:16 AM

When he was comforting Lily, if I squinted a little bit he even looked like Original Dusty (with his hair wet the hairlines kinda matched.)

OMG! I was thinking the same thing. When he was going down the embankment, I thought he looked like Bryan Bloom.

Bach-us

Bach-us

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:39 AM

We have a winner! Scumtrelescent, I bow to your memory.

I was going to ask about the Mona Lisa. What happened to it? Is it simply no longer shown because of the grudge against EF? (Does anybody know what happened to cause the grudge?) I think it was a more interesting set than the Lakeview Towers restaurant. There were all sorts of little places for the actors to make entrances (main door, stairs, the little stage where Lilah Montgomery sang), for one thing. For another, I like the colors better. All that blue and green in the LT restaurant makes me think the actors are in a fake fishtank. I've only seen one entrance/exit possibility, so that set rates a big zzzzzzzzzzzz from me. Is Craig still half owner of the Mona Lisa?

Many, many thanks to aliceac for the link to the character profiles. I'm working my way through them, and I'm so glad not to have to pester you here for information before I can make a coherent post.

Haven’t Kim and Nancy become nicely catty?

I didn't think they were being catty. The written lines could have gone either way, and I think both actresses worked to downplay possible cattiness and merely comment. Catty, thy name is Lisa Miller…Grimaldi vs. Susan Stewart or Meg Snyder vs. Lily.

Word to the tiny ho-yay between Imaginary Rose and Lily – way to go Martha!

I wasn't sure if I should post about it because I thought I was being influenced by discussions of BroYay on the GH thread. There was something in the way Lily reached for Rose… Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it. I also wasn't sure if I should comment on how GH looked like BB in profile. I thought it was my imagination or wishful thinking, but I saw something in the curve of his cheek and the shape of his eyebrows that said Original Recipe Dusty to me. Did anyone else notice his little hip shimmy when he took off his coat and jacket? Regardless of my issues with this current Dusty, GH is an attractive man, but that shimmy was priceless. Dance for me! Shake that moneymaker!

Dusty told Holden on the phone that it looked like Lily was headed for the farm. I think it was strongly implied, because while there are surely more farms around, to Holden "the farm" would have to be the Snyder farm. The only way that Dusty could have beat Holden to the pond would have been if he'd said "We're at the farm." This is the stuff that gives soap operas a bad name.

I second the greatness of daniel82's storyline for Lisa and Henry. My theory? The doctors spelled it wrong on his birth certificate. That really happened to my stepsister.

chezhdchick

chezhdchick

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:24 PM

I don't think Craig is trying to frame Paul. My take on Craig is that he's convinced Paul did it, and James' flowers/note sort of fell into Craig's lap, so I don't fault him for getting involved. He's hiding the extent of his involvement from Rosanna b/c she'll get peeved, but I don't think he thinks he's "framing." I think Craig also thinks (correctly) that Babs is trying to protect a guilty Paul (unbeknownst to Paul) so he un-did her framing and stuck Paul with the evidence- even though Craig set up Paul w/ the evidence today, he believes he's "framing" the guilty party. But after Craig's talk with James, I think Craig is convinced of Paul's guilt, as James intended.

This is how I see it, too. I'm LOVING that Craig is putting the screws to Char-bar. She tampers with evidence, he put it back. Hilarious. As for Paul, I know Craig hates him because his Dixified wifey can't seem to stay away from dispensing unsolicited advice to poor, misunderstood, verbally-abusive-to-his-fiancee, Paul. The worst Rosanna offense was when she obnoxiously defended Paul to Rose's grieving father at her funeral. Completely tacky. After those stunts, who can blame Craig for feeling that way? I think he actually thinks that Paul did it, and anyone who saw the hateful things Paul said to Rose at the altar in front of the whole town, would come to the same conclusion. So, Craig figures he'd get the real criminal put in jail, plus keep his wife at home for a change, at the same time.

As for Carly, I'm in the minority. I don't mind her vendetta against Mitzi. The character of Mitzi has been nails-on-a-chalkboard annoying for me since day one. As for Mitzi and Rose being friends longer than Carly and Rose, and therefore how could Mitzi ever do such a thing......oh, I dunno, maybe the same warped section of her brain that embezzled large quantites of cash from her supposed oldest friend to help quench her gambling thirst? If Mitzi was that concerned with her oldest pal, she wouldn't have stolen from her, either. Maybe she didn't murder Rose, and personally, I think she's too stupid to be able to put two plus two together, let alone hatch a murder plot so her embezzling scheme won't be discovered, but I get why Carly hates her. Mitzi's wanted a piece of the G-man for awhile, and maybe Carly's just a bit mistrusting of other women wanting Jack after all the time Julia's tried to kill her. Shrug. Possible.

Actually, I'm leaning toward Rose being poisoned by Will, who intended to make her too sick to marry Paul. I think he was trying to stop the wedding, not kill her. In Will's twisted brain (thanks to having Char-bar as a parent), he was just trying to "help" Paul.

Will in a belltower with a semi-automatic weapon. It's going to happen. You know it.

Edited by chezhdchick, Jan 1, 2004 @ 1:25 PM.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 2:48 PM

I'm starting to like (well...not like, but accept) Dusty as the killer. He probably didn't mean to kill Rose, but just to make her sick enough so that she couldn't leave for France with Paul....so, sure he killed her...but by accident. It's not like he has any real family in town, and it provides a convenient ending to his and Lily's possible upcoming entanglement when she finds out that he killed her sister. What a sad ending for Dustin...

Lizzybeth

Lizzybeth

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:41 PM

After the last scene with Mitzi, I'm starting to like her as the killer. The way she said "Mitzi's Roller Palace" at the very least seemed really tacky considering Rose was just murdered. Even though Rose was acting really assy towards Mitzi earlier this fall, it seemed a bit early to be salivating at possibly taking over her business.

And god, again with Grayson's hair product. Are they trying to make him look old and greasy?

Edited by Lizzybeth, Jan 1, 2004 @ 3:42 PM.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 4:18 PM

Yeah...that was pretty damning the way they ended things today on Mitzi. What I don't understand is why she's even roaming around free. Shouldn't she be in jail for embezzlement? The police have the evidence of what she did, so why wouldn't they forward it on to the DA and let him (Tom) handle the prosecution, rather than just waiting for someone like Lily or Lucinda to make them press charges?

I think that Paul and Babs are just red herrings, though. It's either Mitzi, Dusty or Molly who did the deed. Poor Rose. Margo popped up again today! I like her theory of whomever is accusing someone else the loudest is covering something up (Dusty). And Dusty was sure laying it on thick today with Lily. Who took that video, by the way? I didn't see anyone with a camera at the ceremony.

Dusty's hair wasn't quite as bad today, just because his hair is much shorter and so there wasn't as much weirdness with the greese / hair gel thing going on.

Sigh...today was the last day of the quick cuts / time warping. But I liked how the show unfolded. Good episode overall.

jazz

jazz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 5:18 PM

ITA about the Dusty/Lily rescue scene, very well done. I hope they put the character's history to good use for the Holden/Lily/Dusty story. I've thought GM was hot since he was Another World, but I hated SleazyDusty. When he's with Lily it's different. Did anyone else think all sorts of naughty things when Molly told Dusty,"When you lay face down on your pillow tonight..."? Just me? I don't get the justification of her framing Dusty either. I love you so I want to implicate you in Rose's murder. Huh?

I laughed when Mitzi flashbacked to Lily telling her to take care of Rose's things. It was for dramatic effect or whatever, but it happened just 10 seconds before. Did they think we forgot. ;-)

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 6:41 PM

And god, again with Grayson's hair product. Are they trying to make him look old and greasy?

I think they need to analyze Dusty's hair goo. Maybe it's toxic and some of it dripped into Rose's special goblet.

Where did the Oakdale PD get that glam shot of Dusty? Too funny.

Is RH really that much taller than CZP? I never noticed it before I saw them together in the lineup.

Since Paul and Barbara are Jack's and Hal's #1 suspects, it's safe to conclude that neither of them did it.

I liked the opening of today's episode, but it wasn't at all how I had imagined it based on spoilers. I thought Rose's voice would be solemn as the camera panned over her things, but instead it started out more like a 1960s romantic comedy. However, I love 1960s comedies, so that was okay with me.

Another thing about the opening: According to every other TV show I've ever seen, the ghosts of murder victims become omniscient and know who killed them. You mean that's not true? Someone call John Edward and set him straight.

It sure sounds as if Rose is planning to haunt the killer once he or she is identified.

ETA: The videographer from the wedding was very conscientious to complete the project and slap the "Our Special Day" onto the front of it! Especially since he or she probably was never paid.

Edited by bobbyhill, Jan 1, 2004 @ 6:57 PM.

SusieCue

SusieCue

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 7:03 PM

Not like any TV show ever bothers, but would it kill the writers to sit down with a chemist for five minutes to find out a little bit about the poison they've picked? Methanol evaporates really easily, and there's no way they would have been able to detect it on a goblet a week(?) after it was put there - not unless there was a heck of a lot of wine still in there. I realise this is a really minor nitpick but I work with the stuff every day, so it just bugs (and I *really* rolled my eyes at the "Barbara delicately paints it on the goblet and holds it up to the light" scene; at least the scene of somebody dumping the methanol directly into the wine made the whole thing a little more plausible).

Bach-us

Bach-us

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 10:10 PM

Sigh. Assassinated/Assified Dusty is back, with New and Improved Über-Schlick for his hair. I don't think he did it, but I do think he's hiding something. He might have gotten the tape from the videographer. They can put the title cards on the tape in advance to save time later, and they usually require payment in full, non-refundable, before the event. I perform at a lot of weddings, so I've met a few of them.

My new theory on the first person to go to prison for the murder is Craig. We haven't seen him in prison, even though Margo arrested him that one time for Tad Channing's murder. (Then she apologized for letting her feelings get in the way of an investigation, and Lieutenant McCloughsky pshawed at her because she'd just arrested her own brother, the exact opposite action of someone letting feelings get in the way.)

I didn't like today's episode at all. I thought it would be great for someone who watches mainly on holidays to catch up, but since I've been watching steadily it was just useless exposition that didn't advance the plot at all, except to further muddy the waters. The most interesting thing for me was the lineup, because 1)that is so not how police lineups work, 2) the actors were in order of height as if they were the Rockettes, which made me think they might start doing sassy high kicks, and C) for the first time I could note the approximate heights of all these people. I never knew CZP was so little or Molly was so tall. It also confirmed for me that GM is much taller than BB when he left the role. BB might be six feet tall now, but when he left he was shorter than JH in their scenes together. Holden can't even try to tower over Dusty anymore, and that explains some of JH's acting choices, too.

my2cents

my2cents

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:10 PM

Maybe [Dusty's hair product] is toxic and some of it dripped into Rose's special goblet.

That was inspired!

Here in Dallas, due to some late-breaking local news, we missed the first couple of minutes of ATWT, so Rose was already halfway thru the lineup, darn. But I did catch her telling Mitzi "You should have just asked me, I'd have given you anything."

Um, like the Roller Palace?

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:32 PM

Not like any TV show ever bothers, but would it kill the writers to sit down with a chemist for five minutes to find out a little bit about the poison they've picked? Methanol evaporates really easily, and there's no way they would have been able to detect it on a goblet a week(?) after it was put there

I thought it was shown that Babs put more poison in the bottom of the bottom of the goblet before she put it in Molly's hotel room?

Bach-us

Bach-us

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:58 PM

I think that was the point. Methanol evaporates so easily that painting a tiny bit onto the BAURG with a Q-tip, then holding it up to the light, would guarantee that none would be on the goblet by the time the police found it. I'm sorry if I misunderstood, SusieCue.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:23 AM

Spoilers from tvguide.com. Comments in italics by me.

Rosanna rescues a friend from jail.
Molly begs for forgiveness.
Barbara clashes with Craig.
Mitzi makes threatening remarks. The plot thickens.
Lily and Dusty can an inappropriate celebration. Buh?
Mike tries to save Snickers.
Henry advises Alison to tell the truth. Alison confides in Henry? Eeeeee!
Mike and Katie make love. Mike's butt! Mike's butt!
Jessica and Ben agree to become foster parents. To Sarah. Noooooo! Get her away!

stlbf

stlbf

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:58 AM

Why dear God, do the producers think that the damn brat Sarah is such an important character? Does the actress' parents have incriminating photos of them or what? Also how the hell would Jess and Ben ever get Children Services to allow them custody of Sarah? Jess accused Sarah's father of raping Jess. So I'm sure that any real social worker would give Jess a very valid "I don't think that this would be a very good living situation for Sarah. You accusing her father of rape and all." excuse. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Where the hell is Grandpa Shaft when you need him?

cbe

cbe

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:00 AM

Does anyone think that Lily could have accidentally poisoned Rose? When she was in AC acting like Rose she told Mitzi "Lily killed me" adding on the inside. Maybe she meant it. Maybe it is because she is so guilt-ridden that she becoming Rose.

Could our methanol expert give us any insight into how and why methanol is used? Is there anyway it could accidentally be put into a common substance?

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:09 PM

Could our methanol expert give us any insight into how and why methanol is used? Is there anyway it could accidentally be put into a common substance?

Somehow, I'm guessing that a bar might have some use for methanol *cough* DustyorMolly *cough*

chezhdchick

chezhdchick

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:13 PM

Why dear God, do the producers think that the damn brat Sarah is such an important character? Does the actress' parents have incriminating photos of them or what?

NO SHIT. My god, whenever that spawn of Satan bitches her way across my screen, I can't reach for the FF button fast enough. And WORD about Grandpa Shaft. That little brat should be in his custody upon the death of her father. Grandpa Shaft would NEVER let his grandchild linger in the custody of social services. He'd be putting his foot down and making sure the little demon learns RESPECT.....WAAAAAY off screen in Atlanta.

rue bee

rue bee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:02 PM

Sarah is a waste of space and then some. I'd rather watch Me-Me Lucy, for goodness sake. People on the Y&R board complain about Lilly Winters but that actress is Meryl Streep next to Shut up!Sarah.

Is the killer definitely one of the 5? Cause I like the crazy Lily theory. Lily, James, Will and even Jen should have been on that suspect list.

A question for long-timers. Were Lily and Sierra close? Did they have a genuine sister relationship? Susan's kids, Bab's kids, the Snyders, etc all have close sibling relationships so it seems odd that Lucinda's daughters don't.

Does anyone know if Simon is back for good or just short-term?

candicissima

candicissima

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:30 PM

What a dick Dusty is. "Hey, Lily, you almost drowned yourself being driven crazy pretending to be Rose, the least you can do now is do it again so we can nail that Paul against the wall!" Dumbass.

And how boring was Lucy and Aaron's astral reunion. Who cares? Let Lucy go marry bland private school boy and move to Montega or something.

Even though Barbara isn't the killer, Hal should have her forcibly committed per the terms of her being able to see Will again. She's too out there. I can't even remember what she was like before the boathouse explosion anymore.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:58 PM

I bet the bulk of the cast is thrilled to have Jenpire with them in their scenes. Because even though it's winter in New York, she makes it look like they all have tans. Even Jack, the whitest white that ever whited.

There it was, the catalyst. This little fight between Chris and Aaron with the former acting like a giant ass. Saying that Alison will be a shitty mother? Dick. Aaron's going to be stepping up for her and the kid, oh yes he will.

Bach-us

Bach-us

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:42 PM

Lily and Sierra used to be close when Finn played Sierra. They used to commiserate about how controlling Lucinda was. When it turned out that Lily was adopted Sierra was shocked and wondered if she was adopted too, but she was there for Lily the whole time. Lily went to Sierra first when Holden gave her a kitten and she realized that Lucinda had lied to her about being allergic to cats (the first clue that Lily was adopted). Sierra was a really understanding older sister whenever Lily came to her with the teen angst.

They had to live with Lucinda, after all. If that doesn't bring two sisters together, I don't know what will.

stlbf

stlbf

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:50 PM

Hey, when was the last time Oakdale heard anything from Lucinda's third(also adopted) daughter, Bianca(I think that is her name)? Last I remember was that she was off to college in NYC or to work at the UN. Something along those lines.

Scrumtrelescent

Scrumtrelescent

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 4:14 PM

Lucinda's other adopted daughter, Bianca, did go to work for the UN after graduating from Oakdale U. When last referred to by Lucinda, Bianca was in Bosnia. This was probably sometime prior to 1996.

There were recent casting rumors about ATWT looking for a Latina actress, and speculation was that it could be either Bianca, or Mike's old girlfriend Pilar (the woman he left Oakdale with). Nothing has been confirmed.

dirksunboy

dirksunboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 5:23 PM

Hey guys, first time visiting this thread. I usually only visit the AMC thread, but I did happen to catch the New Year's Day ep of ATWT and was impressed, technically-wiseat least. I was a huge ATWT back in the day when Douglas Marland was writing and Julianne Moore was on...anyway, the New Years Day ep was VERY cool. I wasn't "enthralled" with most of those characters or actors, though <sorry>. I was actually hoping to see Lucinda or Henry or Lisa or Cady McClain...or Mike's butt!

Anybody know when THE ASS is scheduled to make it's appearance??? The original Mike was pretty dreamy, but this new guy is pretty groovy too...I heard that he and Rebecca Budig (Greenlee, AMC) were an item for a while. Wow, they would be a couple who would seriously bring the pretty.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 5:29 PM

Mike's dreamy chiseled ass is scheduled to make its debut January 9th. Set your TiVos!

Was that THIS Mike that hooked up with Rebecca Budig or the old Mike?

dirksunboy

dirksunboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 5:47 PM

I do believe it was THIS Mike kariyaki.