Stargate: SG-1

• Please log in to reply

33663 replies to this topic

groupiebob

groupiebob

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 12:54 PM

or it was just bad costuming/acting.

or it was bad writing. it was just ridiculous.

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:12 PM

OT TV alert: Waaaay back there, somebody asked when CN's Smallville episode, "Zero," might re-air. It's on at 7 pm EST on the WB this evening (Sunday).

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 9:51 PM

Munchiewoman said:

Loved Jacob and Bra'tac silently working together to get rid of the supersoldier. I was kind of surprised that the rings would reintegrate in open space, though.

Don't you remember the deep space rescue in Tangent? My housemate and I agreed that Sam really deserved that slap for continuing to shoot and not going for the rings first. In Tangent, they were her idea.

CarpingSlav

CarpingSlav

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:47 AM

I thought Jonas looked very spunky in the episode with the bugs...

Laira

Laira

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

I have mixed feelings about Evolution II

Positive:

Intelligent!Jack was back! Huzzah! I've missed him. I guess the SGC ran out of stupid pills that day.

Burke: Enrico C. did a fine job.

Scruffy!TiedUp!Buff!Brave!Feisty!Daniel

Bray'tac - Yay!

Jacob/Selmac - again Yay!

Cool SFX of the bad guy getting 'ringed'.

Goa'uld Queen in tank - creepy.

Negatives:

What! No comfort? Would it have killed TPTB to write in a simple "Are you okay?".

Burke: He's a one-shot guest star, who cares about his back-story?

Sam's one perfect trickle of blood, carefully placed so as not to spoil her makeup. Also, her designer sling. Uh, didn't she land on her otherarm when the Jaffa hit her? Is the continuity person on strike?

Anubis: About as scary as a five year-old's Halloween costume. Also, why is the great lord and master of the galaxy personally informing his minions of a technical problem? Apophis would have delegated that task to one of the pitiful humans in his entourage.

Super Soldiers: Gee, did someone watch 'Attack Of The Clones'?

Why didn't they blow up Anubis's whole base instead of just the Queen's tank while they were there?

The two stories had no real connection and IMHO, it would have worked better as two separate eps. The continual cutting back and forth was jarring.

The supposed 'shippy' moments between Sam and Jack. As usual, RDA looked as if he could have used a good laxative.

BeckySharp

BeckySharp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:05 PM

Laira -- Once an episode has run in the U.S. market, I don't think you have to mark it as a spoiler any more....

skye1974

skye1974

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:18 PM

I spent the weekend holed up in my bedroom (ignoring the skyefamily) watching the Seasons 1-4 DVDs and noticed this:

In "Children of the Gods", Skaara was chosen by a Goa'uld couple to be the host for a "child of the gods", essentially becoming their son. However, in "Within the Serpent's Grasp", he was the host for Apophis' son, Klorel. Why the change? Did I miss something or am I mistaken?

BeckySharp

BeckySharp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 6:24 PM

No, skye, you didn't miss anything. That's one of those incongruities that the producers/directors/writers obviously hope that we won't notice, or if we do, that we won't care.

Midnight Creeper

Midnight Creeper

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:03 PM

I thought it was a reasonably good episode, but Jack was not the right choice for a Burke-style backstory. It seems to me that due to his experiences, predisposition, and responsibilities, Jack almost never looks back. What's done is done. Yeah, the death of his son nearly ruined him, but little after that appears to have really ever bothered him. To be effective, he can't agonize over every decision and every loss. He puts things behind him pretty easily and doesn't think about them again. So for the story to really work, there needed to be more tension on Jack's part about possibly having ruined a former friend's life, but the way it played out, as we would have expected from him, he was all, "Whatever, fool. Get over it."

Anyhow, I was as the movie theater and it was cool to hear the Stargate theme being played in the trailer for Sky Captain. It's an action theme for any occasion!

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:30 PM

Why didn't they blow up Anubis's whole base instead of just the Queen's tank while they were there?

They set the C-4 on the Queen's tank, saw the legion of supersoldiers and got caught before they had a chance to set any more C-4. Then they were running for their lives from very slow supersoldiers.

WmDeKooning

WmDeKooning

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:06 PM

My mind was set to Stargate:SG1 this weekend.

I went to an open mic session that I was invited to among hip, artistic, literate, middle-class African-Americans who discuss poetry, music and literature. If this scene is hard to wrap your mind around, you should rent "Love Jones", to get an idea of what I mean.

Anyway, the open mic was held at a place called "TOKA", but I kept thinking the place was named "TOKRA".

Edited by WmDeKooning, Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:07 PM.

BeckySharp

BeckySharp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:05 PM

I don't usually tout fanfic, but I just read a really funny and on-target retelling of Evolution II. It can be found here.

skye1974

skye1974

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 4:17 PM

OK, I'm still catching up on the DVD's and I have another question:

What's everyone's beef with the J/S relationship? Outside of DaC and that tiny bit in WOO, there has been next to nothing. Granted, I haven't seen any Season 5 eps and maybe three Season 6 and 7 eps, so I can't speak to those. It seems like a given that they will never get together given their, as Sam put it (in DaC), "working relationship and military ranks". This is nowhere near the height of "shippiness" as X-Files or Farscape. Actually, I kind of like the way it's been handled and I'm not even a, for lack of a better word, "shippy" person. Again, if I am missing anything or mistaken, and something happens in S. 5 or 6 to change their relationship, please let me know so I can retract my statement and steer clear of those episodes.

Edited by skye1974, Jan 13, 2004 @ 4:19 PM.

qu0s

qu0s

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 6:04 PM

This is nowhere near the height of "shippiness" as X-Files or Farscape.

Maybe not, but I'm not grading on a curve. Any ship ruins this show for me, and they always seem to find a way to slip little bits in here and there. There's the way the two of them always seem to be making eyes at each other at inappropriate moments, the way they're always far more concerned whenever the other one is missing/hurt/in danger ("What's that? Daniel's been tortured until he can hardly stand up? Eh, he'll get over it. Huh? Sam's missing in action? Nooooooooooooo! My life is over!"), the way the tinkly piano of Sam'n'Jack love gets played in the background in some of their scenes together... honestly, there's far more of this crap than you'd think. And it never fails to make me want to strangle someone.

Edited by qu0s, Jan 13, 2004 @ 6:05 PM.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:49 PM

skye, I don't care if you're not "shippy," you're now my new friend. Believe me, I need one around here. And you might after that post! *g*

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:54 PM

I can't think of anything during the first two seasons that led me to think there might be an intimate relationship between Jack and Sam. However, when she's promoted at the beginning of season 3 to major and Jack pins on the left insignia -- that side is done by family. If Jacob couldn't be there (yes, I know he wasn't, but a promotion that isn't announced over a month in advance is also extremely rare), and she'd asked Jack to pin the other side I could have handled it. By just doing it, it implied that they were, well, just doing it.

Throughout season 3 there are just these little moments. Things that wouldn't seem romantic, because of their long standing friendship, if they happened with Daniel seem romantic with Sam because we never see the friendship side of it. By the time you have the first 7 episodes of season 4, the dynamic of the team is very off. Sam isn't asking any of the questions that she should -- and as an officer she has a right to question orders -- or that she might have asked a season or two earlier. Daniel is treated like dirt by Jack and Sam in a couple of episodes The Other Side, Divide and Conquer, and Scorched Earth being the most egregious examples.

Most of us who object to 'ship in Stargate, object to it because it messes with the team dynamic. Season 5 had some great episodes and some real clunkers. The great ones involved the team; the clunkers brought in outside influences and downplayed SG-1.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them broaden the SGC a bit. Not with the fantasies of parody scientists or Sam getting involved in a space race, but something logical that flows from the team. An episode from Sgt Walter Davis' point of view could be a real eye-opener, for instance.

Ooops, this horse is high. I'll climb down now.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:42 AM

Most of us who object to 'ship in Stargate, object to it because it messes with the team dynamic

So are you saying that Jack and Sam isnt OK but Jack, Daniel, Teal'c and Sam is? (smirk) ; )

skye1974

skye1974

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 9:31 AM

Any ship ruins this show for me

qu0s, I can totally understand that and that answers my original question. If you don't want to see ANY of this, then I can see how the little bits they do throw in could sicken you.

("What's that? Daniel's been tortured until he can hardly stand up? Eh, he'll get over it. Huh? Sam's missing in action? Nooooooooooooo! My life is over!")

True, and so very funny.

honestly, there's far more of this crap than you'd think

I guess I don't really notice it or maybe I just don't mind it as long as it's not always in my face.

skye, I don't care if you're not "shippy," you're now my new friend. Believe me, I need one around here. And you might after that post! *g*

Munchiewoman, it's all good. I don't mind getting flamed for not being an anti-shipper. I guess you could say I'm sort of on the fence. Besides, I really watch the show for the Stargate, so as long as that's the main focus, I'm cool.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:21 AM

Hey Munchiewoman we'll have to stick together I'm afraid. When Exposure was shown in the UK, both me and my flatmate both immediately went "oh bugger" as we had realised it looked like TPTB were ruling out J & S getting together. We're all soppy romantics in our house and love that sort of thing. Of course, it was all just a hallucination so who really knows........

Edited by vickyc007, Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:22 AM.

Lost plot bunny

Lost plot bunny

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:06 AM

My biggest problem with the J/S ship is that it is has not been well written. It just seems to pop up in a episode here or there (e.g. episodes like D&C and now Grace )where Jack and Sam admit that they have feelings for each other that go against military code. Feelings that affect their behavior on missions and the team dynamic and they don’t do anything about it to resolve it. This makes me lose respect for both characters.

For the record my other problems with the ship 1. IMO there is just no romantic chemistry between the two (which granted is a matter of taste). 2. I may be old fashioned but I believe in a relationship where one person must always refer to other as Sir and follow their orders, there should at least be one safety word. JMHO

Edited by Lost plot bunny, Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:07 AM.

BeckySharp

BeckySharp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:13 AM

I may be old fashioned but I believe in a relationship where one person must always refer to other as Sir and follow their orders, there should at least be one safety word.

ROTFL! Lost plot bunny, remind me never to drink coffee when reading your posts...

skye1974

skye1974

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:22 AM

vicky, which season is Exposure? And, everyone else, should I avoid this episode if I don't want to see any of that overt mess?

nqllisi

nqllisi

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:53 AM

Feelings that affect their behavior on missions and the team dynamic and they donít do anything about it to resolve it.

I'm curious- what exactly should they do to resolve it? For a J/S 'shipper, the options seem pretty simple- engage in an illicit relationship, or decide that one or both of them is going to leave the military (not easy, just simple). What would be acceptible to the "noromos" as a way to handle it aside from ignoring it?

Lost plot bunny

Lost plot bunny

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:40 PM

If TPTB really want me to believe that the Jack/Sam relationship is sooo strong that it just won’t go away after 6 to 7 years (like normal crushes do) and sooo important to them that Jack and Sam are willing risk their lives, their teammates' lives as well as national security (which was affected by the events in D&C) then while it is not 'easy' asking one of them to leave the military is not a big step. Or Sam could transfer. Just do something.

That is the weakness of the storyline as TPTB have writen it the relationship does not mean enough to either one of them to do anything about it so why should I care. I just don't get why every once and while do TPTB likes to remind me that 'hey they like each other enough to treat other people around them poorly and behave unprofessionally but not really enough to do anything about it'.

Edited by Lost plot bunny, Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:55 PM.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:41 PM

One of them leaves the team and possibly the military. Which again interferes with the team dynamic. And vickyc007, yep, I'd rather see a foursome than any two pair off.

For the record, I read J/D slash (and am writing my first). On some level though, I treat it as AU -- it's not what I see every week on the show nor would I continue to watch the show if it ever happened. J/D would mess with the team dynamic just as much. I don't want to see D/S, D/T, T/S or J/T either.

What I do like is the fact that there are friendships within the team that seem genuine. Daniel and Sam is a good one. Daniel and Teal'c is beginning to develop more. I think there's an implied Sam and Teal'c friendship that I would like to see addressed more clearly because it adds to the nuances that already exist.

edited for homonym trouble

Edited by Fabrisse, Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:42 PM.

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:20 PM

And vickyc007, yep, I'd rather see a foursome than any two pair off.

Mmmmmm....oh, sorry, that really wasn't your main point. ( Fun image, though.)

I'd have to come down on the side of "No ship, more team dynamic" , because the attempts at ship I've seen are so awkward that I don't trust PTB to do it without completely screwing up the show.

Edited by GoldfishGirl42, Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:21 PM.

skye1974

skye1974

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:56 PM

OK, just to change the subject (because I hate that "sh" word. Isn't there another word we can come up with?):

Has anyone else watched Window of Opportunity five times like I did this past weekend? That has got to be one of the funniest hours of television I have ever seen. As far as pure entertainment value goes, it's definitely my favorite ep. What's everyone else's?

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:51 PM

Well, WOO is pretty far up on my list- and for the same reasons, Upgrades too.(Except for Anise.)

Favorite serious ep? I'd go with The Serpent's Lair- "space-monkey", the cheek touching, the action, looking at earth thinking they're going to die...everything.
Although, there's also Serpent's Song- Jack/Daniel/Teal'c's scenes with Apophis, and , having met the host briefly, knowing that he wouldn't get the peace he sought, but would be subjected to more torture and pain.

And I know most people were disappointed with S5 but it also has one of my personal favorites- Menace. The girl playing Reece was really good, and MS and RDA really brought their A-games.That last scene, and teary Daniel calling Jack a "stupid sonovabitch" gets me everytime.

(Of course, that's leaving out the "Daniel goes crazy" eps...damnit, don't make me choose! :)

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:55 PM

Yeah...RDA can act his ass off when he wants too. Is it really true that he emailed in most of season six?

BeckySharp

BeckySharp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 4:03 PM

Jack certainly seemed to be almost complete affectless during Season 6. Part of the problem, as I understand it, was that RDA was having bad knee problems, and was on painkillers for the first few episodes. There's a good chance, IMO, that he also missed having Shanks to play off of. The fanwank could be, of course, that Jack was in a funk because of Daniel's death/ascension.

I agree that Serpent's Lair was a dynamite episode, and it's one of my favorites: dialogue, pacing, the interaction between the characters -- all very cool. I also love the lead-in episode, There But for The Grace of God, which has humor, drama, and a wonderful re-interpretation of the main characters.

Modified because there's a difference between "change" and "chance."

Edited by BeckySharp, Jan 14, 2004 @ 4:07 PM.