Stargate: SG-1

• Please log in to reply

33663 replies to this topic

BeckySharp

BeckySharp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 3:33 PM

Just as a reminder (and to revitalize this discussion):

Second half of the season starts next Friday. Set yer VCRs....

CarpingSlav

CarpingSlav

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:54 AM

Living in the UK but because of university I missed series six originally so now living on a diet of Series 7 on a Monday and Series 6 on a Sunday....and actually Daniel's replacement is quite sexy...still miss the intellectual but well toned body of Daniel but its quite good so far...

Never been a fan of the Replicators arc I have to say; hope they are not back in series 7. I have always loved the comedy and the usually "dont take yourself seriously" attitude though some things surprise me (like the Replicators episode where they double crossed the poor lad....)...

Top show and also good on the eye - the Jaffa in particular but also one particular Tok'ra...whose identity ascaped me...

AH well....here is to series 8 - is there one?

skye1974

skye1974

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:24 AM

Ok, I just started watching Stargate after taking the advice of a few of the posters here (thanks!). Here a few random thoughts so far:

Jack seems to be a bit of a jerk. He's not very likable. I'm all for sarcasm, but he just takes it over the top. Unless that's the point of his character....

Daniel is hella fine! Not to mention very intelligent.

Teal'c is awesome. All the cliches: loyal, strong, brave, nice body. Oh, um, I added that last one.

Sam? I don't know what to make of her yet. Enthusiastic, kind of a genius, a tad bit annoying, but totally likable.

About the story: I'd seen the movie, so the good guy/bad guy struggle wasn't too hard to follow. Although, I'm a bit confused as to who the Tokra are. As far as the Jack/Sam ship, I can't even see the dock, much less the ship sailing. Not that I don't want the ship to sail, but I just don't see it.

Also, I'm confused as to how many seasons have actually been made and shown. What season is Sci-Fi starting on Friday?

Edited by skye1974, Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:32 AM.

nqllisi

nqllisi

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:34 AM

What episodes have you seen so far, skye? The personality of Jack fluctuates wildly between "wisecracking nice guy" to "asshole idiot".

The Tokra are basically go'aulds who have broken away from the mainstream and only inhabit willing hosts. They work as an underground resistance. They are Earth's allies, but there isn't complete trust between the two groups.

Edited by nqllisi, Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:02 AM.

skye1974

skye1974

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 10:55 AM

I haven't gotten to know the titles yet and to avoid saying "the one where...." over and over again, I'll just find an episode guide and find the titles of the ones I've seen.

BeckySharp

BeckySharp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:06 AM

Welcome, skye!

As nqllisi said, Jack's character can really fluctuate, depending on the season. He was a lot more three-dimensional and interesting the first three or four seasons, but in some of the later episodes, he seems to have dumbed down for the comic relief, which was a pity.

We are now in the seventh season -- the season started last summer, and then there was something like a five month haitus, so the episode on Friday will be the first episode of the second half of the seventh season.

SciFi isn't helping with the confusion, since they are showing episodes from different past seasons at 6 p.m. weekdays, and then repeats from the sixth and/or seventh season on Mondays, and then the current season on Fridays. Very weird programming.

A good place to catch up is Gateworld, which has synopses of all the past episodes (I don't agree with their ratings, however). And you can always ask questions here....

skye1974

skye1974

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:26 PM

OK, I've seen Point of View, Deadman Switch, Demons, Orpheus, Birthright, and about half a dozen more from the first few seasons that I can't find the titles to right now.

I hate that Sci-Fi scheduling. They did it with Farscape and it really messed me up. Why do they do that?

Edited by skye1974, Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:28 PM.

Seyi

Seyi

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:01 AM

Jack/Sam? Yuck. I've seen, like, only twenty episodes and already KNOW that is SO not of the Lord. The woman is an idiot. A sweet, loveable idiot? Yes. But an idiot nevertheless.

Sam/Daniel? Also yuck, for reasons even I can't describe, but it IS better than the whole WackoJacko/StupidSam pairing.

And why kill Janet, the only sensible one out of all of them? *sighs*

And poor Teal'c. The man has NEVER gotten laid or even kissed, far as I know. I mean, technically, he did have that worm/larve/whatever to keep him company......I betcha that at the end of the season, sammie will "come to her senses" and go after HIM. Then she'll have completed her rounds.

It's really all a pity.

This is all a matter of MY opinion, of course..

And yes, I AM in a bad mood. Sorry for the vehemence.

Edited to say to Becky and Dani:

Like Jonas, but thought he was kinda....fake acting till that eppy with the frozen chick that healed everybody (sorry, forgot the name.) Started liking him then.

Edited by Seyi, Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:04 AM.

qu0s

qu0s

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:38 AM

Sam/Daniel? Also yuck, for reasons even I can't describe

Possibly because they have a very brother/sister type relationship, so thinking about the two of them together romantically seems vaguely incestuous.

Has anyone here seen 'Grace' yet? I know it's already aired in the UK, so I'm hoping we can get a bit of discussion going instead of waiting until it airs in America. I, for one, want to know about the Sam/Jack kiss that was supposed to happen in this episode. Someone please tell me that it was a dream or a hallucination or something similar - if it turns out it was real Sam'n'Jack twu wuv stuff, I think I may have to strangle someone.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:13 AM

And poor Teal'c. The man has NEVER gotten laid or even kissed, far as I know.

He had a wife and a fling with that Jaffa Priestess whose symbiont went into Methos. And most recently Chris Judge wrote himself an episode where he romanced T'Pol.

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:47 AM

qu0s, the kiss was a hallucination

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:19 AM

Quos, this is major spoiler and tells you what happens in the episode. Basically the kiss was really brief and was Sam hallucinating to herself through out the whole episode. Jack appears as a hallucination saying that she needs to get a man (actually her Hallucination Dad tells her this) as she's not explored that area of her life because she's scared and not willing to lose control. Halluc Jack says she can go after him but really there's no point as he's a safe option because he's unavailable, thats why she wants him because she knows they can't be together so she will never have to lose control. Halluc Jack tells her to start looking elsewhere, and that he'll always be there but unless one of them is prepared to "lose control" then nothing will ever happen. She gives him a split-second sort of "i just want to know what this feels like/goodbye snog."

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:03 AM

oh, geez...lol. I'm glad Jack has common sense, though...lol

qu0s

qu0s

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:06 PM

Heh heh heh. Those spoilers are excellent! My god, someone on SG-1 acting like an intelligent, rational adult? I certainly didn't see that coming. Now I'll actually be able to watch the episode without cringing in fear. Woohoo!

Thanks for the spoilers, paulvdb and vickyc007. You've made my night.

skye1974

skye1974

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:11 PM

Cynthia, it looks like the Hallucination Jack has the common sense. I don't think the Real Jack would be quite so rational.

Edited by skye1974, Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:12 PM.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

Either that or Jack regained whatever common sense he had left since the Dive and Crumble incident...

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:31 PM

Wow. I had no idea the UK was ahead of the US on eps -- go them! Thanks for the 411 on that particular event. That was where my mind was on it.

Since I got all the way to today and only just now remembered, "Hey, it's back on tonight on Sci-Fi," this is a friendly heads up for anyone else who may have completely spaced it =D.

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:14 PM

Good ep tonight....not thrillling, but a good solid ep.

- What was with the non-flirting flirting moments between Sam and Jack? I mean, really , that was kind of weird..

-Hurrah for Enrico Colantoni...he and Jack give good banter. Although I got the feeling he was playing Dennis Hopper playing Burke.

- Nice "Oh holy shit " moment with Anubis's army...I sort of feel sorry for Jonas though, since now he's responsible ( but not really ) for giving Anubis a big big advantage.

-Favorite moment? "Jack...what the hell are you doing here?" You think you're about to die, then you turn around and there's your team leader who you assumed was in a whole nother country and a bunch of dead bodies...yeah , I think that would be my reaction.

My god, MS is buff....grroowr.

nqllisi

nqllisi

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:35 PM

I totally agree with your entire post, Goldfish (especially the "grroowr").

I tuned in late, though, so I was a little lost, but it was just good to have my show on again!

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:48 PM

Oh yeah....I had to go on a quest to find a free dorm common room with cable, but it was all worth it.

"What is hurt?"
"My pride."
Hee...I always love the Bra'tac / Teal'c chemistry.

My only less than favorite part? Bug-eyed!Scenery-chewing!RevolutionaryGuy. Too over-the-top to be truly intimidating.
Although, he gave us sweaty tough Daniel, so it's all good. ...

"Are you sure it's off?"
"Yeah...well, it's not glowing, so we think it's off..Daniel , you wanna hold it?"
"No."

Edited by GoldfishGirl42, Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:49 PM.

sonneta

sonneta

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:50 PM

I found the Super Soldier plot to be super boring.

The Jack-and-Burke backstory was fairly interesting.

I loved the Daniel plot- he got to be strong, smart, and supersexy. Loved that he held out against torture *and* figured out how to escape *and* saved what's-his-name.

I loved Jack rescuing Daniel. I thought MS played that scene very well.

And, yes, MS was very... growww.

BeckySharp

BeckySharp

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:51 PM

I was rather disappointed in the episode. For one thing, I couldn't figure out exactly why we had two totally distinct story lines going, one of which had next to nothing to do with the other. I found the Sam/Teal'c/SuperSoldier story so convoluted that by the second half, I found myself waiting for the action to shift back to the Canadian jungles.

I dunno -- the whole thing with Jack & his old crony sorta irritated me. I had heard that we were going to get some of Jack's backstory, but I thought it was going to be Jack's backstory -- not what was going on with some old friend whom we had never met before, and whom frankly I didn't care much about. Oh, I had no problem with the actor, and I rather liked the banter, but I really didn't care how long he'd been hanging out in Honduras, or why he'd killed some guy whom we've never heard about until now. So that part sort of lost me.

I expect a new series about that guide -- he's obviously some kind of alien life. He lies around for days in the jungle, doesn't grow a beard, doesn't need water, doesn't bleed even though he's been shot, and is quite happy to put off being rescued as long as he'll eventually be paid.

Daniel, all dirty & sweaty & muscled -- very nice. Yes, very nice indeed. And I loved his dazed "What are you doing here?" when he saw Jack, and his sudden realization that he looked slightly ridiculous holding that rock.

I rather dislike ship (actually, I dislike both the ship as in Jack/Sam relationship, and the ship as in big honkin' space ship -- I'd rather concentrate on Stargate stories, thank you very much. But I digress...). I did see the shippiness in the two scenes with Sam & Jack -- and I must admit, they irritated me. The first one, especially -- Jack announced that he was going to get Daniel as though Daniel was around the corner at the library, and was late coming home for dinner. I think they were trying to play the underlying sexual tension underneath the words, but it came off as though the words didn't matter -- which meant that Daniel didn't really matter. Not what the script or the actors intended, I'm sure, but that's how the reading seemed to me.

PixelPusher

PixelPusher

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 2:46 AM

Wow. Was this 'half' filmed at the same time as the previous 'half'? I don't remember Daniel being so wonderfully buff. Actually, RDA looked pretty good too - I'm digging his haircut. (It has been a while since I saw the first half... I don't think he had that cut before. I could be hallucinating.) To tell the truth, I was only half watching while I finished up some work (at 9 on a Friday. Wow, how sad. Deadlines are fun.) but I taped it and need to rewatch.

Yeah. Sweet dreams tonight!

Edited by PixelPusher, Jan 10, 2004 @ 3:32 AM.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 12:05 PM

expect a new series about that guide -- he's obviously some kind of alien life. He lies around for days in the jungle, doesn't grow a beard, doesn't need water, doesn't bleed even though he's been shot, and is quite happy to put off being rescued as long as he'll eventually be paid.

And no bugs were crawling on him either.

It seems kind of weird that they're going to try to make a weapon out of something that regenerates life.

Edited by cheesesteak, Jan 10, 2004 @ 12:06 PM.

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 12:20 PM

It seems kind of weird that they're going to try to make a weapon out of something that regenerates life.

Didn't seem too weird to me. I mean, now that they've got it, Sam can analyze it ,(hopefully) find its weakness, and make a weapon which exploits it.

With all that talk about Egeria, was anyone thinking that maybe , somehow, that was Egeria? I don't remember the Pangar episode very well, but perhaps she survived, was goauld'napped by agents of Anubis, and they managed to revive her and brainwash her? Or am I spinning my wheels here?

qu0s

qu0s

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:51 PM

Well, if you go by what they showed in season six, Egeria has well and truly carked it. On the other hand, they showed Martouf/Lantesh dying in season four only to turn around and say that Lantesh miraculously survived. So you never know. Canonically Egeria should be dead, but you can never rule out deus ex machina from the writers if they want to use her again.

Dani257

Dani257

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 9:19 PM

The Daniel whumping was good! Everything this freak could ask for. The comfort was -um, what comfort? No comfort at all. GRRR!!! Couldn't they have thrown us a bone? Jack asking if Daniel was okay? (and, they could have edited it better so there would have been time? Maybe having the re-alive guy appear a second later, after Jack asked him?) Or, instead of having a last moment between Jack and Who-the-hell-cares Burke, what about one moment between Jack and Daniel? We got moments between Sam and Jacob, Brat'ac and Teal'c, and the aformentioned moment between Jack and Burke. Again, GRRRR!

And, I hate the ship. The J/S ship, that is.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:50 PM

Oh, I don't know. Jack and Daniel standing there with their arms around each other when Jack helped him to stand did alot to get my heart going pit-a-pat.*g*

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:51 PM

ddp

Edited by Fabrisse, Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:52 PM.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 12:46 PM

The Burke story reminded me too much of...Cromwell? in A Matter of Time. Only Burke was way too over the top. And Burke's story that the third friend was bad was a leeettle too convenient for me.

Loved Daniel hopping away from the device.

The guide who should have been dead in the woods?? Either there's more story to him (which, considering Jack and Burke weren't surprised at his good condition, I don't think so) or it was just bad costuming/acting. I'm going with the latter.

Loved Jacob and Bra'tac silently working together to get rid of the supersoldier. I was kind of surprised that the rings would reintegrate in open space, though.

I'll preserve my little shippy dance for a more ship-friendly venue. *g* It wasn't much, but I'll take it.