Computer, Access Media Files: Star Trek in the Press

• Please log in to reply

1406 replies to this topic

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 4:34 AM

Rod Roddenberry teamed up with the Nerdist Chris Hardwick to create a new podcast. The Mission Log's...well, mission, is to analyze the entire Star Trek TV universe, one episode at a time.

From every single series. (Including the animated series.)

In order.

All 726 episodes.

There's 3 episodes out now; "The Cage", "The Man Trap", and "Charlie X". And I think "Where No Man..." will be out later today. (Poster's note: It was.) It's worth a listen. The two hosts not only discuss the episodes as part of their era, but they also try to determine if the message of each episode still applies in present day.

Edited by SVNBob, Sep 3, 2012 @ 1:21 AM.

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

I'm a little bit surprised.

I just checked back through several pages here, and haven't found any mention of Star Trek Continues, a webseries that starts up directly after "The Turnabout Intruder" (and, of course, ignores the other webseries). I do disagree with the casting of the actor playing Spock, but they make up for that with Chris Doohan as Scotty and Grant Imahara as Sulu...

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

I just checked back through several pages here, and haven't found any mention of Star Trek Continues,

I posted about it here, but this is a more appropriate thread.

BigBeagle

BigBeagle

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

On Grantland.com, Brian Phillips has an interesting piece on TNG's 25th anniversary.

Link.

Edited by BigBeagle, Oct 1, 2012 @ 6:14 PM.

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

It is absolutely time for a new Trek series. I just don't want it to be all dark and gritty. BSG covered all of that and I don't want Trek heading down that horrible path.
Why We Need a New Star Trek Show, and What It Should Be About

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

If I only had the ear of somebody in power at Paramount...

It wouldn't be difficult at all to proceed with new Trek in the mold of old Trek. Sure, things are pretty well settled around Federation space - but the Wormhole is still there last I heard, providing access to the Gamma Quadrant. Let's have a series about the crew of, say, the long-range scout USS Meriwether Lewis, exploring what's going on in that part of the galaxy since the collapse of the Founders' empire...

shadowguy

shadowguy

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 6, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

Enterprise will be the next Trek show released on Blu-Ray

chancellorjake

chancellorjake

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

lis shared the below link with me through another networking site. I've been meaning to share it for sometime.

Five Leadership Lessons From James T. Kirk

They also did a write up on Five Leadership Lessons From Jean-Luc Picard.

Finally another site did a breakdown on why Enterprise failed. Essentially Archer and poor use of the Vulcans.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Excerpt from an interview with Dr. Crusher and Counselor Troi on why Crusher was gone during season 2.

And a chart of Star Trek characters.

Edited by akg, Dec 27, 2012 @ 1:07 PM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

A look at DS9, twenty years on. Good article. I don't always agree with him, but I respect his opinions.

NMdum1

NMdum1

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 5:07 PM

Favourite part of that article the mention of "six" Star Trek shows, clearly the writers considers the Animated Series canon! Score!

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 5:46 PM

Professors unearth lost history of ‘Star Trek’

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 4:35 AM

Related to the link above: Discovered Documents from the Mission Log Podcast. Interesting finds from the Roddenberry Archives.

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 12:44 PM

IRS Concedes Star Trek Parody Video Was Waste of Taxpayer Money

Edited by MyAlias, Mar 25, 2013 @ 12:45 PM.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

Saw this on Slate and felt it was a good springboard for discussion. Was surprised (and pleased) to see "Cogenitor" from Enterprise on there. And some people have commented that "The Inner Light" should be on there, and perhaps "Darmok".

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 10:38 PM

I have just heard that Michael Dorn is trying to get another ST show back on TV (this time about Worf, which will me we might be returning to the pre-J.J. Abram Star Trek) and I couldn't resist to not post this (and okay, I realized that the article is a bit old):

http://screenrant.co...n=zergnet_30196

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 8:34 AM

So a U.S. District judge issued an order against a law firm engaged in downright Ferengi-like activities with regard to copyright violations.  The order starts off with a TWoK quote...and just goes on from there.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 6:00 PM

This is the best thing ever.

Along with redshirtx's judge.

Also, that ad is the perfect excuse to repost this link.

Edited by akg, May 7, 2013 @ 6:06 PM.

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:26 AM

I'm convinced he's doing the Shatner spoken-word version in the ad, which makes something perfect even...more perfect. I mean, a nerve pinch? "I shall always be your friend"? Priceless. How Shatner and Nimoy keep doing it in their eighties is amazing.

As someone says in the Youtube comments, they've got to find a way to include that song in one of the movies- maybe over the closing credits of the third?

This had me laughing out loud; then I read the comments, which are gold.

OK, I'm out of adjectives for "great."

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

I watched ALL of Star Trek

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

Also, two Star Trek virgins see Into Darkness.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

I visit Slate every day and enjoy many of the columnists, so I've been enjoying the Trek week they've been having. I may not always agree, but it's enjoyable none the less.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

Also, two Star Trek virgins see Into Darkness.

There was no reasonable reason for them not to know Zoe Saldana's character's name is Nyota Uhura.  A cheap joke is a cheap joke.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

Two Entertainment Weekly critics rank the Star Trek series (including the animated series), the movies (putting them in three categories: Original Crew, Next Generation, and Reboot), and even a video game.  I'd switch the top 2 personally, but I certainly won't complain over Next Generation being number one, and I'm glad they at least acknowledge the greatness of Deep Space Nine.  Oh, and Enterprise being last makes me nod my head in agreement.  Them ranking the reboot movies so high is a bit out there.  I'm sure a good amount of fans would disagree with that opinion.

Edited by thuganomics85, May 21, 2013 @ 3:09 PM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 11:34 PM

Worf series was considered, but killed due to the movie. I'd have preferred the series to the movie. Captain Worf would be great stuff.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

So Martok goes from Chancellor of the Klingon Empire to Board Councilor of Ulysses, New York.  You can't really add anything to that.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

Patrick Stewart was recently on the Nerdist podcast! Good stuff, and only about 45 minutes long. Give it a listen.