keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:33 AM

Oh, god. There aren't words.

Cleo256

Cleo256

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 3:09 AM

I've heard a song Shatner recorded with Ben Folds called "In Love" from an album called "Fear of Pop". It's actually a neat song that plays to his strengths. The man's reputation is to cover existing songs in his spoken-word form with hilarious sincerity, or to make parodies of the same. But when a song is written to his style, he can make some interesting music.

Also, I'm interested if Ben Folds is the producer. That song from "Fear of Pop" is kind of neat.

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 9:56 AM

The Futon Critic names "Impulse" #29 on their weeklong countdown of the top 50 episodes of 2003. I can only assume the absense of "Twilight" from the list is because the top 10 come out this afternoon.

Geo Gal

Geo Gal

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 11:22 AM

Kirk and Spock, together again.

Thought you might find this amusing.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 12:23 PM

Company officials are hoping the new enterprise will appeal...

Do you suppose that was intentional?

Gilmel

Gilmel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 5:08 PM

I certainly hope so.

Cleo256

Cleo256

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 1:03 AM

Even better. You can watch the commercial (Credit due to rosiebloom in the Commercial Thread)

Cleo256

Cleo256

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 1:45 PM

Sorry for the DP, but it's been a few days, and it's a wholly new topic.

Apparently there's some concern about the fate of Enterprise. Apparently, UPN promised that both Enterprise and Jake 2.0 were safe for the season, but now that Jake's been cancelled, some folks are concerned about the quality of UPN's promises.

So far it's just gossip about people on-set being worried about their jobs, and I know that at my job any little thing can make us all worry for no reason, but it's still interesting.

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:04 PM

You know, I must have Stockholm Syndrome because I would be really, really sad if this got cancelled. They deserve as many chances to bore the audience as Voyager got.

nqllisi

nqllisi

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:10 PM

I agree with Keckler Hearst. I actually think the show has gotten better of late; it would be a shame for them to cut it off now.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:18 PM

I have to admit I'd miss the show too. It has been better lately and I will remain perpetually hopeful.

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

You know, I'm not going to miss it because I think it's that good but it's become comfortable to me.

I've become accustomed to Quantum's furrows.

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 4:42 PM

You know, I'm not going to miss it because I think it's that good but it's become comfortable to me.

You'll have to get used to telling a whole new character to "Shut up, [blank]." ( Although Trip hasn't required that nearly as much as he used to.)

I'm with akg- it's not great, but it has gotten better. (And TNG started getting consistenly good in its 4th season, so Enterprise should get that same chance.) And on a purely selfish note, I don't want to have to find another place to get my Connor Trinneer fix.

Edited by GoldfishGirl42, Jan 19, 2004 @ 4:45 PM.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 5:44 PM

Mmm, I hear you on the Connor Trinneer fix!

I would be sad just because it would mean the first time in years and years with no new Trek on a weekly basis. That's what I'm accustomed to. But that's also part of the problem. Countless editorials over the years have extolled the virtues of the Phoenix plan: let Trek die for a decade or so and then people will care more when it starts up again, reinvigorated.

Cleo256

Cleo256

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 5:52 PM

Yeah, but I'm worried that killing this show just as it's starting to get better might be a serious deathblow to the franchise. More serious than, say, a movie that bombed at the box-office. I was all for the "Phoenix plan" (great name, by the way) back before this show started, but now I think it would be more harmful.

Personally, I think this season is the best Trek's had since DS9 ended. Granted, that's only two years of Voyager and two of Enterprise, but still, four years is a long time for most TV series. Anyway, it would be a shame to kill it off just as it's showing signs of coming back to life.

the47thman

the47thman

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 6:07 PM

Keckler Hearst! Bwah!

I feel rather conflicted about any reports of the show being cancelled. I want to see if it can fulfill its potential, but on the other hand, I think the Trek franchise as a whole needs time to heal and regenerate itself. Hmmmm...

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 6:12 PM

I was all for the "Phoenix plan" (great name, by the way) back before this show started, but now I think it would be more harmful.

I totally agree with you, Cleo. Now all they'll remember is the negativity from this show and if it's cancelled earlier than seven years, I don't think they'll ever bounce back with another series.

Gilmel

Gilmel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 11:28 PM

I've become accustomed to Quantum's furrows.

Heh. Is Henry Higgins there with you?

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 11:33 PM

You know it!

saraamy

saraamy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 11:13 AM

Do you there would be a huge fan write-in campaign if it did get cancelled? I am a die-hard Trek fan, but sadly, I don't know that I care enough about Enterprise to bother.

Edited by saraamy, Jan 20, 2004 @ 11:15 AM.

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 12:01 PM

I think the fanboys were dead-set against this show from day one. I don't know that that hurt it, but it would probably mean no write-in campaign.

That said, I recently read a great online article about how fan campaigns to keep shows on the air simply never work, or at least not in today's environment. I remember the advice given was to hit the companies in the pocketbook in other areas (since money is the reason shows get canceled anyway): Angry at The WB? Cancel your AOL. Angry at UPN? Do something to Viacom. But I doubt that would work either. No one watching means no one's watching.

The only comfort I take is that it's still UPN's top show. Doesn't that leave them no choice but to keep it on?

Edited by nelamm, Jan 20, 2004 @ 12:03 PM.

dc3

dc3

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 12:12 PM

There has been a write-in campaign for some time now. At least a year, AFAIK. I believe this is the same group that bought the ad in Variety.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 1:13 PM

it's still UPN's top show.

Is it really? This somehow surprises and depresses me. It doesn't seem like they treat it like their top show.

saraamy

saraamy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 2:25 PM

That said, I recently read a great online article about how fan campaigns to keep shows on the air simply never work, or at least not in today's environment.

Roswell was saved twice, and the Firefly folks got a DVD set. I think Angel got its fifth season in small part due to a huge postcard/email campaign (but mostly due to the addition of James Marsters). I think a write-in campaign might help, and it couldn't hurt.

I thought WWE was the top show/program on UPN.

Edited by saraamy, Jan 20, 2004 @ 2:27 PM.

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 2:33 PM

Wasn't Firefly planning on putting out a DVD anyway? That's what I read.

There seems to be some hint in one of those articles that they'd consider switch networks...that would be interesting.

Cleo256

Cleo256

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 3:20 PM

They could also try their luck back in the syndication market. I think they still run new episodes in weekly syndication (those weekend reruns we all seem to have. That ain't UPN doing that), in addition to the network airings, so it wouldn't be that huge a shift in their business model. Plus, Trek has a history (TNG, DS9) in first-run syndication.

Zaphod B

Zaphod B

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 3:23 PM

Keckler, the day that Joss and company were informed of Fox's decision to put the show on "hiatus" they were also told that a DVD set would be eventually released.

keckler

keckler

Network Executive

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 3:26 PM

So...did that have anything to do with a write-in campaign?

Zaphod B

Zaphod B

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 3:42 PM

Distinct possibility. There was quite a bit of fan support including an ad put in Variety. Here's a link to one of the sites involved -Firefly: Immediate Assistance

Edited by Zaphod B, Jan 20, 2004 @ 4:02 PM.