3-11: "Protect the Coven" 2014.01.15

• Please log in to reply

118 replies to this topic

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

I was seriously looking forward to this season but it's utter shite. I always wanted them to take on the carnival trope but now, just no.

There are two episodes left and I just feel so disappointed. Last night's episode was a mess

Edited by BuddhaBelly, Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:09 AM.

rxgrrl

rxgrrl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:23 AM

I was looking forward to this season as well. So disappointed. This season has been a train wreck.

mansfolly

mansfolly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:52 AM

Chiming in to add that I too am very disappointed with this season. So much promise.

The only thing I like about this season is the interior set of the house / school. 

Otherwise, blech.

Black Knight

Black Knight

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:47 AM

I loved the little bit where Marie pointed out that one guy who was getting up and about to try to shoot the Axeman.  The way Angela Bassett did that little gesture...hee!

I don't think Cordelia's hands can be said to be clean - she did try to murder her mother.  It just didn't work.  But I don't mind that everybody's a murderer on this show.  It's horror, after all.

Loved Delphine getting tricked with Benadryl of all things.

sourtimes

sourtimes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 12:13 PM

I hate, hate, HATE the way that Cordelia screams. She sounds like Nancy Kerrigan's knee whacking plaintive wail. Ugh.

RazzleberryPie

RazzleberryPie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 12:40 PM

This episode was like a bunch of deleted scenes strung together that made no sense.

If it was so easy to take out the witch hunters, why had nobody thought to do that since 1832 or whatever?

So nobody ever dies, Queenie still can't act, and most of the other scenes were just gross (eating poop soup, gouging eyes, chopping chickens and slaves, etc). What is it with ghosts stealing babies on this series?

And no Misty. I don't really care who becomes supreme.

mansfolly

mansfolly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 1:02 PM

If it was so easy to take out the witch hunters, why had nobody thought to do that since 1832 or whatever?

That's exactly what I was wondering. Also, witches... spells. Voodoo...spells.

Why then do you need an ax to kill somebody?  And, really, nobody at the hotel/conference center heard the gunshots, etc.? Nobody? Really?

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 1:10 PM

Say what you want about season 2 with all its full on alien abduction crazy it had a understandable trejection.  The characters moved like chess pieces from one  place to another.  With Coven nothing ever moves or changes.  One day someone dies and the next they are back.  One day they are the Supreme the next someone else is.  

This right here. The problem with this season is that while its full of good actors and potential strong plot lines, there is no focal point.

Season One had the family living in Murder House. Season Two had Paulson's intrepid girl reporter. No matter how crazy things got, the story could always swing back around to a specific person and reorient itself through their perspective. 

But this season has no focal point. It's more like a three ring circus turned up to eleven, or trying to watch TV with someone sitting on the remote and having the channels roll by with no cohesion. While finding out who the Supreme is should be the overreaching arc, instead it's just thrown into the mix like so much cornstarch whenever plotline a,b,c, or d gets too stupid. And thus the show has become a gluey mess.

Nobody seems to even remember the others are around unless they're physically in the same room. Character motivations whipsaw around the place trying desperately to hook themselves into what the plot demands in any particular scene. Powers come and go, characters strengthen or weaken depending not on what has happened, but what needs to happen for the story to lurch forward. 

Take, for example, Myrtle sending Zoe and Kyle away. Remember Zoe? How she seemed to be the focal point character until the plot (and the audience) got bored with her and ran off, tearing off its clothes and drinking straight from the bottle? Well, for some reason, Myrtle decided she wants to save Zoe and Kyle and their "great love" (Conroy sold the hell out of this,but I couldn't blame Tessa/Zoe for having that 'The hell? Have we even met?' look on her face the whole time) and is handing over priceless jewelry and bus tickets to get them out of the house. Notwithstanding that this mess of a plot has me incredulous that Myrtle would give a mouse sized shit about Zoe, she suddenly is all romantic over this modern day Romeo and Juliet? 

Whatever, thinks Zoe, and heads off to tell Kyle that they're leaving. Kyle, with no stated reason, doesn't want to go.

Why? He clearly isn't into Madison anymore, he's barely even seen most of the rest of the inhabitants of the house, Fiona hasn't even mentioned him since she upgraded his mental software, and he's got no loyalty to anyone but Zoe. He says its because he's afraid he'll hurt Zoe but he hasn't laid an ungentle finger on her since he was brought back. In fact, when the plot bothers to tumble him forward, he's clinging to her for dear life. And even if he did, what the hell does being with the coven or not have to do with it? So why the hell would he put up the slightest bit of resistance to leaving? That whole scene was there for no reason. NO reason. It didn't further character motivation or understanding in the slightest.

BonnieD

BonnieD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 1:32 PM

I give up.  I have no idea where this is headed and not in a gee-this-is-so-clever-they've-got-me-flummoxed kind of way but in a what-a-train-wreck way.

It's all over the place and there's no one to root for. The idea of a coven was so good and it was handled in such a bad way. I'd initially hoped it would be based around the training of the girls and move on from there, but this was all just a hodge-podge mess.

Anyway as far as this episode goes, the few things I liked were the doll collection and Marie securing the antique doll for ??? I don't even know his name. And, of course, the Benedryl. Funny!

Oh yes, I too was hoping for a carnival theme at some point but I fear they'd ruin that too. Next time I'm not sticking around if it starts to go bad early on.

Edited by BonnieD, Jan 16, 2014 @ 1:33 PM.

peacheslatour

peacheslatour

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 1:35 PM

What happened to Fiona's cancer?  Did she get cured while I wasn't looking?  No vomiting, no hair falling out.  She seemed just fine and dandy.

RadiantAerynSun

RadiantAerynSun

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:01 PM

I really think the best thing about this series is, and always has been, the opening credits. IF the entire show was as creepy and affecting as the opening, it'd be a damn good show. Unfortunately, what follows is a hot mess.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:02 PM

Did the Gloria Swanson air top turban make a comeback?  Madison has been wearing one of those in the past two episodes.

The wardrobe choices on this show kind of blow my mind, and not in a good way. Cordelia's leotard with a knee length a-line, floral circle skirt and weird stockings and boots was crazy unflattering. It might have made sense if she was still blind in those scenes. Also, in an earlier episode they had Zoe in leather overalls. Fiona may be a shit Supreme, but at least she doesn't dress like an insane ballerina or a BDSM farmer.

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:15 PM

Remember Zoe? How she seemed to be the focal point character until the plot (and the audience) got bored with her and ran off, tearing off its clothes and drinking straight from the bottle?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish Zoe had remained the focus of the season, with maybe Fiona being the main villain. As frustrating as Zoe was in the first few episodes, at least there was room for her to grow/have an actual arc through the season and she, along with Cordelia and Misty, is one of the few characters that seems to have some actual humanity and isn't completely horrible. At least she cares about the Coven, in her own way.

But somewhere along the way they got bored with her and her storyline has been reduced to Kyle.

I really get the sense that they were just making things up as they went along this season and they forget scenes from one episode to the next. I was rolling my eyes so hard when Fiona came home so distressed when she heard about Cordelia taking out her eyes when the previous episode she was willing to kill her to stay immortal.

Mess, mess, mess.

Edited by natyxg, Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:17 PM.

mintjellyfish

mintjellyfish

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:33 PM

"I really think the best thing about this series is, and always has been, the opening credits. IF the entire show was as creepy and affecting as the opening, it'd be a damn good show. Unfortunately, what follows is a hot mess."

This.

The opening credits is terrifying and well done. The show is nonsense. It's like we're being lied to each episode. 

Arline

Arline

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:36 PM

Guh, what?! They are all in a gigantic 100-year-old house, they can't hear all the people being murdered and tortured in nearby rooms? How is this even a coven if there is zero cohesiveness between any of the characters, and how is it a school if nothing is being taught and the adults don't seem to give a shit about their charges? There is no plot, just a series of nonsensical and pointless contrivances.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:37 PM

The fact that Marie commented on it being easier than she thought suggests that we're not done with the witch hunters yet.

And I guess Fiona's powers of mass amnesia must be working overtime to have no one know or care eight or so high-profile men were ax murdered in their own board room.

They were supposed to be meeting on neutral territory, so if there was anything in the room to say that it was their board room, somebody goofed.

Loved Delphine getting tricked with Benadryl of all things.

It could still work out. If Marie can be locked up well enough that she can't get Papa what he wants, her immortality will disappear. That could be real soon if he decides that he still wants an infant instead of Nan or that Nan was only worth something like two weeks instead of a year. For somebody who was entombed for over a century and had her head separated from her body, Delphine seemed oddly at a loss for what could be done with Marie to keep her from being a problem.

Black Knight

Black Knight

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:50 PM

For somebody who was entombed for over a century and had her head separated from her body, Delphine seemed oddly at a loss for what could be done with Marie to keep her from being a problem.

Yeah, but Spaulding did clue her in by the end: Cut Marie up into a bunch of pieces and then she won't be digging or magicking her way out of anywhere...

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:04 PM

Marie and Fiona are the only characters whose fates I care about anymore.

The writers clearly have fun writing the Myrtle scenes (and why wouldn't they? Her Diane von Furstenberg tangent was hilarious). If only they would put that energy into writing a cohesive storyline for anybody.

I did like the Queenie/Cordelia scene. I know Cordelia gets kicked when she's down more than anyone in this show, but it was about time that somebody pointed out that the coven seemed to be pointless anyway, and everybody ends up missing or dead.

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:35 PM

I could listen to Angela Basset deliver the line, "Sprite" all day long. ALL DAY LONG.

It rivals Sherry Shepard's "Ham" on 30 Rock.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:39 PM

Probably nobody has had the opportunity. I don't think anyone knew who the witch hunters were until Cordelia figured out they were hiding behind the Delphi Trust. That enabled Fiona to bankrupt their company and forced the board's hand to ask for a truce meeting. I actually liked this scene where the server turned out to be the Axeman and he killed them all. (Also cracked up at Marie asking for a Diet Sprite.)

What I couldn't tolerate, however, was Cordelia knifing out her own eyes. That was too much for me and I yelled "NO" so loud my dog ran and hid.

I was actually hoping Queenie was gone for good. I'm sorry but it makes me uncomfortable to even look at Gabourey Sidibe.

I agree this season has been pretty directionless compared to the first two but I'm still enjoying it, overall. It never claimed to be Breaking Bad. Hell, it never claimed to be Supernatural. AHS is its own little niche world and I'll take it crazy and all.

phoenix780

phoenix780

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:44 PM

Powers come and go, characters strengthen or weaken depending not on what has happened, but what needs to happen for the story to lurch forward. 

This is what's driving me crazy.  As much as I try to just sit back and watch the actors go at it with some fun dialogue and interesting scenes...I need there to be a little more logic in this world (not generic logic, but logic of its own).  How are all these girls suddenly manifesting some pretty major powers?  Is it something about the house?  About Cordelia and the herbs, like maybe she eats them or she grows things that put off a power-enhancing vibe?

Although...I think at this point I have no concept of what a strong witch would be.  I get that there are 7 trials- don't know what all of them are, though.  But except for Zoe and Cordelia they all seem powerful/high-level.

I'm still enjoying it overall- there are some pretty awesome acting moments, and I might be in love with Myrtle.  But damn...the basis of the show is witchcraft and powers.  It can't always be a fun surprise when someone does something awesome, especially if it's off-screen (Queenie).  And I kind of get annoyed that death doesn't really make them weaker.  I'm down for them to come back to life, but shouldn't there be some consequence in terms of their abilities?

Edited by phoenix780, Jan 16, 2014 @ 3:45 PM.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 4:28 PM

I really think the best thing about this series is, and always has been, the opening credits. IF the entire show was as creepy and affecting as the opening, it'd be a damn good show. Unfortunately, what follows is a hot mess.

The opening credits are such a scary vibe that sometimes I fast forward through it. I also had to fast forward through anything LaLaurie torture related so this episode was short for me.

I did enjoy when Myrtle slapped Zoe and exclaimed "How can you be so unromantic?"

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 4:51 PM

As much as I try to just sit back and watch the actors go at it with some fun dialogue and interesting scenes...I need there to be a little more logic in this world (not generic logic, but logic of its own). 

This right here! A story can be about any number of illogical, unreasonable things--a house full of witches, let's say--but for it to be called a story, and not just a random pile of words and pictures, it must contain an internal logic, and that logic cannot be violated, except when that same logic calls for it.

If I'm watching a police procedural, I expect it to follow the laws and strictures I'm familiar with. If I'm watching a drama, I expect the characters to act in ways that, while extreme, don't suddenly use the laws of physics as mere suggestions (the ol' "falling fifteen stories after being shot five times and walking away without a scratch" bit). If I'm watching a comedy, I expect people to do or say goofy things that still fit in with the rhythms between the characters.

Many people make the mistake of assuming that, with scifi/fantasy, all bets are off since the story is going to incorporate powers and technologies that don't exist in the real world. But quite the opposite is true--if I'm watching a group of characters battle it out with methods that aren't readily available in the regular world, the internal logic governing this world must be stricter, not looser. Otherwise you're just watching the equivalent of a bunch of four year olds running around, making up the rules as they go along and constantly shrieking "missed me!" when another kid pretend-shoots them. 

peacheslatour

peacheslatour

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 5:25 PM

So, what I'm taking from this thread is that you're all going to quit watching after last night.  Right?

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 5:48 PM

What happened to Fiona's cancer?  Did she get cured while I wasn't looking?  No vomiting, no hair falling out.  She seemed just fine and dandy.

Well, Nan is dead.  That could indicate that she was, in fact, the next Supreme.  Maybe.

RazzleberryPie

RazzleberryPie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 6:02 PM

Right as rain. If I want nonsensical camp, Charmred reruns are on somewhere, without the gore.

Pippin

Pippin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 6:14 PM

Many people make the mistake of assuming that, with scifi/fantasy, all bets are off since the story is going to incorporate powers and technologies that don't exist in the real world. But quite the opposite is true--if I'm watching a group of characters battle it out with methods that aren't readily available in the regular world, the internal logic governing this world must be stricter, not looser.

This.  So much.

In order to have successful "suspension of disbelief" on the reader/viewer's part, you have to have something grounded in enough reality so that when the weird stuff starts happening, the reader/viewer has already accepted the world you have created and so will accept the alternative or weird happenings you've created.  In good horror, "dream logic" often takes over.

Slightly OT:  an excellent example of this is, IMO Stephen King's "Salem's Lot" (the book).  It starts out fairly prosaically, with a typical small town in Maine, warts and all.  And then ... strange things begin to happen.  A dog dies in a cruel and gruesome fashion.  A child disappears.  Then his brother dies.  The town's grave digger falls ill.  And so on and so on.  But these things don't happen immediately and they all follow a logical storyline, and King has painted such a vivid picture of this town and its inhabitants that by the time the unspeakable is finally revealed, you accept it completely.  By the time the dream logic takes over, you are in the nightmare and accept it.

Season 1 understood this.  (Didn't catch most of season 2, unfortunately).  This season?  Is like taking chapters out of a book, throwing it in a blender and then tossing the results onscreen. 

It's unfortunate because a good, creepy scary story lies underneath this mess.  Pity we're not seeing it.

(PS:  If the first episode is any indication, "True Detective" may fill the gap this year that "AHS" has left.)

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 6:33 PM

I think Tom and Lorenzo summed it up best last week: It's just a show about bitches killing eachother, over and over again.

I mean, really, there are two episodes left? What is there to wrap up? Nothing is even happening! At this point, I don't even expect the show to have a proper ending - they'll all be walking around aimlessly, wondering who the Supreme is, and then the screen fades to black. Either that, or a meteor strike wipes out all of humanity.

Honestly though? Remove Kyle, LaLaurie, Axeman, both neighbors, all the witch hunters and maybe even Queenie and Spalding, and this show probably would've been a whole lot better.

I'm aware that some of them have been pretty major characters, but they all have/had storylines that are completely irrelevant to the main "plot", if you could call it that, about the rise of a new Supreme and the effect it has on Fiona and the Coven. Yes, I'm deciding that that's what I think the season should've been about. The season IS called "Coven", after all.

FrankenKyle, racism, serial killers, bible thumpers and harmless men in suits have only served to make this season a mess, and it seems to get worse with each passing episode. Without all of that, maybe they would've had time to truly explore the worlds of witchcraft and voodoo, so that we could make some freaking sense of this.

So much potential, so much crap, and like Madison, they didn't even bother to flush.

Edited by Xazeal, Jan 16, 2014 @ 6:34 PM.

tricknasty

tricknasty

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 6:34 PM

How is Axe Man even alive. Was any explanation given?

EmiMyCat

EmiMyCat

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 6:36 PM

Cordelia's leotard with a knee length a-line, floral circle skirt and weird stockings and boots was crazy unflattering. It might have made sense if she was still blind in those scenes.

I'm not sure what it says about me, but I loved her in that outfit! 

I'm happy to see Queenie back. I really really wish they had just left Evan Peters out of this season, no need for him at all.