Team Figure Skating: Wait, That's New

• Please log in to reply

512 replies to this topic

superior olive

superior olive

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 4:43 PM

I don't think Patrick Chan is skating the long program for Canada? Here is a video of Kurt Browning speculating that they would swap him out for Kevin Reynolds. 

Eta: hmmm. I don't know why it only linked the H, but that H in the word Here should take you to the CBC site. Which reminds me, I have to go to the coverage thread and whine about how awful the CBC's Sochi website is. 

Edited by superior olive, Feb 8, 2014 @ 4:46 PM.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 4:59 PM

I'm not liking the CBC website. [CTV's was better]. 
Anyway - yeah - Chan might not skate the long program - which... I'm good with. I would like Chan to skate so he'd have a clean skate on Olympic Ice - but best thing for the team, right?

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 5:13 PM

I don't think Patrick Chan is skating the long program for Canada? Here is a video of Kurt Browning speculating that they would swap him out for Kevin Reynolds. 

Thanks. The video won't play for me in the US anyway.

I don't think it matters all that much who Canada decides to use. They look nicely positioned for second place.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 5:25 PM

I'm liking the team of Terry, Johnny and Tara on NBCSN.

I like them too. They don't overtalk - it's okay to allow the picture to tell the story. I also feel like Johnny is majorly editing himself, but I understand why. If he doesn't particularly like a skater's style, he won't say much, for example the French woman who did the short program. I think I'll be watching all the skating on NBCSN and bail on the prime time coverage completely.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 5:40 PM

Well, damn.  With 3 events to go, it's almost impossible for anyone other than Russia to win?  What fun is that?  

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 5:48 PM

Lucky! I want NBCSN :( 

DementedDaisy - well, anything can happen. Canada is only 5 points behind so if Canada can win 2 events.....Canada's only 5 points behind!

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 6:01 PM

Patrick Chan shouldn't be pulling out... I don't think Canada can make up the point difference without him.

Amtosbm

Amtosbm

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 6:06 PM

At this point I don't think Patrick can make up the point difference anyway. I think he is smart to rest up for his own event. Its obvious Russia is winning this event- I thought so after I saw the score for their lady and dance team.

skeeter22

skeeter22

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 6:07 PM

Judging by the generous Russian scores, I'm not sure that even egregious chanflation would be enough to boost Canada past Russia. It'll be very interesting to see if the score inflation carries over to the individual events.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 6:26 PM

Canada is only 5 points behind so if Canada can win 2 events.....Canada's only 5 points behind!

6 points (47 to 41). Chan can't make all of that up on his own, especially since Italy came in dead last for men in round one. Plushy might still be a wild card, but he should be able to beat the Italian and Jason Brown.

Did someone say Virtue and Moir didn't want to skate both rounds? If Chan rests, then Virtue and Moir will have to compete. 

I'm surprised the official line-ups aren't posted yet. The competition is tomorrow morning. The teams should have a pretty good idea by now who they're planning to use. Canada and Russia each only have one opportunity to sub anyway.

rhitroadkill

rhitroadkill

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 6:59 PM

Yeah, maybe the next version of this event will take the suggestion earlier for a 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 score scheme for the LP because there really isn't going to be that much movement. And while Plushenko's scores were also quite generous (really, 9.5/10s for tansitions/footwork?), their only real weak spot was the Men and he did bring the technical arsenal to keep Russia on top. Everyone knew they would win in pairs, their ladies entries are top 4 skaters and took advantage of others mistakes and some home-ice score inflation. Now, the Russian ice dance team was overscored IMO, but I don't know enough about the technical stuff to say for sure. I liked the Italians better than the French or the Russians and the Italians ended up in fifth. It is definitely to Canada's credit that they are as close as they are.

It is interesting how different styles appeal to different people. I personally prefer Davis/White (and the Italians) Light/Romantic/Classic style to the Dark/Passionate/Modern style that Virtue and Moir do. I also wish they would wear colors--she always seems to be in something black and slinky. Which works for her, but it all blurs together for me. Is her LP costume black too or was that the green dress?

Edited by rhitroadkill, Feb 8, 2014 @ 7:01 PM.

nextian

nextian

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 7:45 PM

Great, thanks for the opinions guys, at least I know I am not crazy regarding the Russians scores! I have been loving this event, and the coverage on NBCSN, good commentating. It would be fun if in the next Olympics they had to have eight different performers for each country, less ringers that way. I suppose that would probably be too difficult for some of the countries to manage though, but I would enjoy seeing all those different performances, and then no one gets too worn out for the individual competition.

In Christine Brennan's article where she talked about the Russian pair pulling out of the long, I believe that they were the ones who said they were happy to have come in first in the short because they did not want to "fail Plushenko". Then she sort of kiddingly asked in the article then weren't they failing him by not doing the long? Although based on the scores that the backup Russian pair got I guess it didn't matter.

Edited by nextian, Feb 8, 2014 @ 7:46 PM.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 8:54 PM

Watching now and I keep throwing my shoulders back hoping the Russians will stand up straight, they were practically bent in half performing the finnstep.

Amtosbm

Amtosbm

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 8:55 PM

Did someone say Virtue and Moir didn't want to skate both rounds? If Chan rests, then Virtue and Moir will have to compete.

Virtue Moir said at the start they would be happy to skate both rounds same as Davis/White. Which just lends more weight to this event so to speak. I fully expect Davis White to win. I think they are great and probably deserve it, at the same time I think Tessa Virtue is just not as committed as Scott Moir. Which to me is fine.She has has had some serious injuries and wants to quit and start her life. Again I am guessing - I just hope she is happy with where she ends up. Regardless of this Olympic result she is a legend and so is Scott. I hope they both realize it.

Libby96

Libby96

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 9:00 PM

I am loving having NBCSN. Skating earlier in the day, all the skaters being shown, and likable, knowledgable commentators. I am one of the people whose heart broke for Michelle Kwan when Lipinski won in '98, but I like the girl's commentating, and she and Johnny meld well. I loved their little mention of taking walks together by the Black Sea. And Terry Gannon is the best "non-skater" figure skating commentator out there.

I hope the US can hang on for a bronze. It was good to see Ashley get her mojo back, and Davis and White were their usual, amazing selves.

Prediction: Lipniskaya will be on the podium for ladies singles. I think it will even be silver. But I could be very wrong.

skateCO

skateCO

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 9:01 PM

If the US medals in this event... I wonder how Jeremy will feel looking at his.

I personally find Bérénice Méité Mae's Prince program an atrocious music choice. Then again, if there's something weird and/or awful going on with style, nine times out of ten a French skater is on the ice.  She skated it just fine and it's nice to see different styles out there instead of everyone being exactly the same, but seriously it was like she was skating to the sound of sirens and breaking glass.

Edited by skateCO, Feb 8, 2014 @ 9:06 PM.

rhitroadkill

rhitroadkill

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 9:23 PM

Mae Berenice Meite is doing Prince right? I  think Jason Brown is doing the same selection also. But I think it works for Jason. I could have an enormous blind spot for him though (hehe, could--more like totally do).

Can I say how thrilled I am that the Ice Dance costuming has evolved from "How Nekkid Can We Look Without Getting A Deduction" to "Lets Look Classy." Dislike the overuse of illusion under black that the women are using. Not a fan of making it look like your nips will show if someone looks hard enough. Meryl's costume is new though right? I think it was sleeveless for Nationals. Not sure if I like the change, but it is more appropriate to the character of the music.

Tracy is attempting to stick-it-to-'em for the Russians but then drinks the Kool-Ade when the scores show up.

specialj67

specialj67

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 9:37 PM

Finally caught up with the ice dancing SP online--I LOVED the German team's program.  I know it wasn't as difficult or clean as the top teams, but I appreciate that they had fun with the characters they were supposed to be.  Also, picking the Chris Colfer rendition of "Le Jazz Hot" may have factored heavily, but still.  The guy was really getting into it, and you have to admire that.

JTM

JTM

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 9:49 PM

re: Canadians tending to believe there's a possible V/M scoring conspiracy -- I think it's because we experienced Sale and Pelletier, who later actually received the gold when the doctored scoring was revealed.

briochetwist

briochetwist

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 10:01 PM

It is interesting how different styles appeal to different people. I personally prefer Davis/White (and the Italians) Light/Romantic/Classic style to the Dark/Passionate/Modern style that Virtue and Moir do.

Funny.  I prefer Virtue/Moir, but I think they are more definitely light/romantic/modern and I think that Davis/White are more dark/passionate/classic.  To me, V/M's programs are lighter and more romantic, when I see them skate I could actually believe that they are in love with each other, when they're on, they're effortless and fluid.  D/M are the ones skating to 'Sheherezade' and 'Phantom of the Opera', which I personally find to be alot more overwrought and dramatic.  

irisheyes

irisheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 10:02 PM

Why on God's green earth does NBC have TWO sets of teams commentating on the team event?  I watched it live with Tara and Johnny (who knew Johnny Weir would be so good??), and now I'm listening to Sandra and Scott.  For the life of me, I cannot figure NBC out.

That being said, watching Davis & White's SD twice is never time wasted.  That was completely lovely.

stafford

stafford

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 10:03 PM

I think Davis is trying to channel Peggy Fleming in costuming and hairstyle. It has a very 70's feel to it. They are such a treat to watch although her voice reminds me of the mice in Cinderella. Of course no one will ever match Torval (sp?) and Dean. Watching them skate to Bolero is my all time favorite Olympic memory.

I like ice dancing so much better then pairs. I hate how the women in pairs are thrown around breaking the flow of the music and then the great disparity in size between the man and woman seems somewhat freakish to me.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 10:12 PM

I managed to catch some of the skating live this morning on NBCSN and Tara/Terry/Johnny are sooo much better to listen to.

I'm stuck watching the ladies short program on the NBC and while Canada's Kaetlyn Osmond's performance was so cute, her costume rode up so high that by the end it practically looked like she was wearing a thong.

And I finally figured out who Ashley Wagner reminds me of--Rachel McAdams.

skateCO

skateCO

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 10:15 PM

Not sure if I like the change, but it is more appropriate to the character of the music.

I think Davis is trying to channel Peggy Fleming in costuming and hairstyle. It has a very 70's feel to it.

They are skating to My Fair Lady. Meryl's costume and hair closely approximates Audrey Hepburn's in a long scene in which Eliza declares her independence.  I’m not a huge fan of the jeweling, which I think is overdone, but in all I think it’s a gorgeous and faithful costume (if not improvement on that hideous giant rose at the waist and high neck.)  Charlie is dressed like the gentlemen at the Ascot.

IMHO Meryl and Charlie are almost always one of the best costumed ice dance teams. I will never forget her stunning ballroom dress for "Die Fledermaus"; her hair alone was perfection.  Still my favorite free dance from them, in part because their costumes were spot-on.

Edited by skateCO, Feb 8, 2014 @ 10:51 PM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 10:45 PM

Absolutely, skateCO.  As soon as they said, "My Fair Lady" I knew they were going for this:

http://lipmag.com/cu...d-my-fair-lady/ 

Their SP brought a smile to my face.  Both times I saw it.  But I agree with other posters.  I would prefer to listen to the commentators on NBCSN this morning to the ones on NBC tonight.

Edited by Runningwild, Feb 8, 2014 @ 10:49 PM.

GeminiDancer

GeminiDancer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 10:46 PM

Yulia Lipnitskaya didn't blow me away. Yes, she's really bendy and she's great with spins, but there's something very juvenile about her routine. I don't know if it's that the choreography was trite (tracing a heart on the ice, psh) or that she doesn't care about performance quality yet. Something feels off for me, and I can't put my finger on it.

Carolina Kostner, wow. I'm usually not a fan of hers, but her "Ave Maria" was gorgeous.

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 11:17 PM

I have to agree about Yulia - she's very very talented, I enjoy her spins, but I seem to remember our wonderful Dick Button once making comment about flaying arms that you could hang your wash on. It's a good program, but the artistic portion is lacking.

Yeah, as much as I've never been a Tara Lapinski fan, she and Johnny are fresh at commentating, and I enjoy that they let the skating talk.

zenner

zenner

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 11:22 PM

Apparently the fix has been in for the entire season re: the ice dance gold.  Virtue/Moir won't win, period.

stafford

stafford

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 11:34 PM

I believe Virtue/Moir can win if they sharpen their moves and don't fall out of a twizzle. I also think the Russians have the home field advantage. I agree with the poster up thread that falling on a jump (no matter how difficult) should disqualify you from becoming a top finisher.

GeminiDancer

GeminiDancer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 11:35 PM

I wouldn't say that the fix is in for V/M. D/W have been on a roll since Vancouver, and it would take something catastrophic like a fall for them to lose. I'd be concerned about V/M losing the silver to the Russians.