Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 12:21 AM

Pairs!

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 5:41 PM

Although some people think Dance has become Pairs Lite, the rules for Ice Dance are very different. If you haven't watched Dance since the last Olympics, you will notice some very significant changes. 

First off, there are only two programs to the final scores, the Short Dance and the Free Dance. The Short Dance incorporates part of what was the Compulsory Dance. Each couple does two set dance patterns. This year it is the Finn Step, which is very new. It is kind of like the Quickstep on steroids. During each pattern, there are 3 key points on which the skaters are judged. The skaters must do several other elements, such as twizzles (twirling on one skate paralleling your partner), side by side dance sequence without touching, and a short lift. The music for these elements can be foxtrot, quick step, swing or charleston. At the recent US Nationals, sveral couples were given deductions for using the wrong rhythm.

The Free Dance allows the skaters to do whatever rhythm they want, but it must be dance music.There are certain elements that get higher points, such as twizzles, dance spins, and lifts. In Dance, a skater cannot lift the other skater with hands higher than the lifter's shoulder, lifts have time limits, a skater cannot lie on the back of another skater except on the way to another position, etc. Scores are give for technical elements and components. Technical elements have a base score that the judges can add or subtract up to 3 points. Component scores are on a 1 to 10 basis and are more subjective. The judges' scores are averaged for for each element and the then added together for the final score.

If you don't understand, don't worry. There are probably only 20 people in the world who completely understand the scoring in Ice Dance.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 10:09 PM

I cannot believe it's been 30 years since Torvill & Dean.

If you don't understand, don't worry. There are probably only 20 people in the world who completely understand the scoring in Ice Dance.

Let's hope the judges and whoever double checks the scoring are among the 20.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 10:51 PM

I cannot believe it's been 30 years since Torvill & Dean.

I've been wondering whether there will be any mention of that iconic dance to "Bolero."

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 1:26 PM

Ever since Torvill and Dean did Bolero, my friends and I have called Ice Dancing "Sex On Ice."

Thank you, Good Queen Jane.  I just love that I can come to TWoP and find a knowledgeable person on just about any subject.

Edited by Runningwild, Jan 22, 2014 @ 1:28 PM.

BoldandRestless

BoldandRestless

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2014 @ 9:02 PM

Actually, T&D will be returning to Sarajevo to skate Bolero! http://www.espn.co.u...ory/276497.html

seashellez

seashellez

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 3:47 PM

Dance entries:

http://www.isuresult...14/CAT004EN.HTM

skateCO

skateCO

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 10:46 PM

I admire Meryl and Charlie so, so much.  They're my favorite ice dance team EVER.  They are finally getting attention from the mainstream media, but not as much as Gracie Gold, even though they stand a legitimate chance to make history and she will be incredibly lucky to get anywhere near the podium.  I think they're much, much better than Tanith and Ben ever were, but get 1/8 of the publicity even though they're both attractive people.

dimples1

dimples1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2014 @ 12:28 PM

I'm excited about this Olympics and Meryl and Charlie's chances. I just love watching all of the competitors in this sport.

Has any other figure skating competitor in any of the categories ever used Bolero for their program? I was just thinking about it, after watching the clip of Torvil and Dean that I've never heard that song used for ANY competitive figure skater/pairing other than those two.

Edited by dimples1, Feb 7, 2014 @ 12:42 PM.

likeacarcrash

likeacarcrash

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 7, 2014 @ 12:54 PM

A lot of skaters have used it over the years, dimples1 (Michelle Kwan and Evgeni Plushenko come to mind). Italy's Carolina Kostner has it for her long program, and she's one of the only people I've ever seen pull it off since Torvil and Dean. I really like her program.

rhitroadkill

rhitroadkill

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2014 @ 12:59 PM

Carolina used Bolero last year (or the year before?) and I thought she really did it well--for a singles skater. Either way, her going back to it is a DEFINITE improvement from her original LP this year wherein she wore the most HIDEOUS costumes. And she kept changing them and they kept not getting any better.

I am rooting for the French to beat the Russians for the bronze, but wouldn't cry if the other Canadian pair or the Italians snuck in there. Or one of the other American pairs. I just love Meryl and Charlie's Short Dance. There were times on the Grand Prix that I actually forgot they were doing the required steps until they were well into them--it just flowed seamlessly for me. I do like Tessa and Scott but their style is usually much more Dark!Passionate!Sexy! and I relate better to the Fun!Exuberant!Classic! style of skating (for singles too--I like Akiko Suzuki's stuff more than Mao's just because Mao's is so often very serious). I think the Shibutani's could do some really cool stuff if they would just stop picking stereotypical "Asian" music themes. it gets old, we get it, you're Asian, dance to Riverdance or Mozart just to mix it up once in a while.

Huh? What do you mean -- this season they are skating to Michael Buble and Michael Jackson. Are you confusing them with someone else?

Oh, then I am thinking of last year. It was Memoirs of a Geisha.

ETA: DERP. I also confused them with Chris and Cathy Reed.

Edited by rhitroadkill, Feb 9, 2014 @ 12:54 PM.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2014 @ 1:07 PM

I think the Shibutani's could do some really cool stuff if they would just stop picking stereotypical "Asian" music themes. it gets old, we get it, you're Asian, dance to Riverdance or Mozart just to mix it up once in a while.

Huh? What do you mean -- this season they are skating to Michael Buble and Michael Jackson. Are you confusing them with someone else? 

dimples1

dimples1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2014 @ 2:40 PM

Thanks for the link likeacarcrash. I forgot that Kwan had done a ladies program with that song. Still, nothing compares to what Torvil and Dean captured during the 1984 Olympics. That was amazing AND it revealed my dad's love of figure skating. He was a die-hard Dallas Cowboys fan, but he liked watching, as he called, "Those crazy and talented fools on those blades." 

BottleBrunette

BottleBrunette

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 2:30 AM

The Shibutani's are the cutest!  It was cool that NBC gave them a bit of a shout out during the opening ceremony.  

Ms Lulu

Ms Lulu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 7:23 AM

I admire Meryl and Charlie so, so much.  They're my favorite ice dance team EVER.  They are finally getting attention from the mainstream media, but not as much as Gracie Gold, even though they stand a legitimate chance to make history and she will be incredibly lucky to get anywhere near the podium.  I think they're much, much better than Tanith and Ben ever were, but get 1/8 of the publicity even though they're both attractive people.

Charlie is absolutely adorable.  When I went and looked at pictures of Meryl off of the ice she is such a pretty lady but on the ice?  Whoever does her make up needs to knock it off.  She goes from pretty young woman off the ice to Joan Crawford on the ice.

mizkat

mizkat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 8:15 AM

When I went and looked at pictures of Meryl off of the ice she is such a pretty lady but on the ice?  Whoever does her make up needs to knock it off.  She goes from pretty young woman off the ice to Joan Crawford on the ice.

Maybe it helps her get into character? Or it's a superstition thing? I can't understand any other reason to keep wearing that much makeup. 

ellen3

ellen3

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 2:05 PM

About the makeup - Johnny Weir commented that with ice dancing the women wear their false eyelashes even to practice.

flingle

flingle

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 2:24 PM

Whoever does her make up needs to knock it off.

Also not a fan of her on-ice makeup - I find it makes her look like a Disney princess come to life, especially once I heard her talk.

My first thought when the Reeds came on the ice was "Seriously! We're Japanese!!"

quof

quof

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 2:36 PM

During that God-awful reality program on Virtue and Moir, Tessa was shown early in the morning still in her pyjamas (so presumably pre-shower) ringing her eyes in heavy black eyeliner. For a practice session.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 6:51 PM

When I went and looked at pictures of Meryl off of the ice she is such a pretty lady but on the ice?  Whoever does her make up needs to knock it off.  She goes from pretty young woman off the ice to Joan Crawford on the ice

Maybe it helps her get into character? Or it's a superstition thing? I can't understand any other reason to keep wearing that much makeup.

It's for visibility.  Spectators have to be able to read her facial expressions from the nosebleed section of the stands, and the over-the-top makeup is the only way to guarantee that it happens.  Dancesport competitors use the same type of makeup application for the same reason.  It looks garish to us as home viewers because we have the advantage of close-ups that the spectators at the rink don't.

Edited by legaleagle44, Feb 9, 2014 @ 6:53 PM.

Saffron

Saffron

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 7:40 PM

During that God-awful reality program on Virtue and Moir, Tessa was shown early in the morning still in her pyjamas (so presumably pre-shower) ringing her eyes in heavy black eyeliner. For a practice session.

It's an unspoken rule in figure skating (actually, spoken, but spoken in private) that the skaters are supposed to look the part at all times.  That means the women are supposed to have their hair and makeup done at every practice session.  Skaters never know when they are being observed by a judge or some other figure skating official.

Peggy Fleming once saw a young Kristy Yamaguchi during a pre-dawn practice session with her hair in a ponytail and no makeup.  Peggy Fleming told her she had a bright future, but to NEVER show up for another practice session looking like that.  Kristy took the advice.

setsuna

setsuna

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 7:49 PM

It's for visibility.

Yes, and even though the judges have first row seats, they still need to be picking up on expressions from end to end of an Olympic size figure skating rink.  It's an entirely different point of view than that we get from close ups on tv.

I have to say I tend to love Meryl's costumes and make up, even in the tv close ups though.  She's not as conventionally attractive as most of the female ice dancers, but I find her more arresting than any of them.  I also just downloaded a lot of the "Tessa & Scot" Canadian tv show, and the way they subtly try to paint Meryl as some kind of distant, and perhaps evil, ice queen makes me love her even more.   

I love that the shot of Meryl playing with her dog in the changing room while Tessa chats with some other skaters about the Paris Grand Prix is framed as if it's an example of how cold Meryl is, and how she's making it tense for poor, poor Tessa. It's hilarious.

I see what they're doing with shots like this: http://fembotz.tumbl...ost/75248892612 , but it just makes me LOVE her more.  I love her looking regal and like she's going to own the world, especially as from interviews over the years I've gotten the impression she's by nature quite shy.  She's come so far in that respect, and now really performs and expresses herself on the ice.  

skateCO

skateCO

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 8:22 PM

I love her looking regal and like she's going to own the world, especially as from interviews over the years I've gotten the impression she's by nature quite shy.  She's come so far in that respect, and now really performs and expresses herself on the ice.

You know what Meryl is... she's classy and composed.  She's a lady.  She has conducted herself so at all times in these Games.  She comforted Jeremy when he made her job much harder and kept her composure when Ashely was losing her shit over her score.  With Charlie the captain, they have really been the steady role model "mom and dad' of this team.

growsonwalls

growsonwalls

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 9:00 PM

Guys, in the days before the ice dancing competition, I present the creepiest fan blog of all time, that insists Virtue/Moir are secretly married and have a baby at home:

http://dubemoir.blogspot.com

Have fun reading.

Saffron

Saffron

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 9:07 PM

I always thought the marriage/baby rumor was a cute little fan fantasy.  That blogger doesn't even appear to be a fan - she (I'm assuming it's a she) seems to HATE them!  She's angry about Tessa being a bad role model for her daughter and Scott choosing Ilderton over his wife and family.  Wow.

I think somebody should call that woman's parents on behalf of Scott and Tessa and ask them to please give a heads up if this woman ever attempts to come to Detroit, London, or Ilderton. 

briochetwist

briochetwist

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 9:07 PM

Guys, in the days before the ice dancing competition, I present the creepiest fan blog of all time, that insists Virtue/Moir are secretly married and have a baby at home:

That website has to be a joke.... right?  I don't know anything about Moir or Virtue, but based on the commercials for that stupid show, doesn't he have a girlfriend?  So, they're hiding the fact that they're married and have a baby? Wouldn't people have noticed a pregnant Tessa out on the ice at some point?  And what exactly does Jessica Dube have to do with it?  IIRC, isn't she the pairs skater that was hit in the face with the skate of her partner during a competition?

Joke or no joke, that's really unsettling.

Edited by briochetwist, Feb 9, 2014 @ 9:09 PM.

growsonwalls

growsonwalls

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 9:15 PM

According to this lady Jessica Dube was paid off by the Canadian skating federation to pose as Scott's SO to hide the marriage and baby.

CCee

CCee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 9:15 PM

I also just downloaded a lot of the "Tessa & Scot" Canadian tv show, and the way they subtly try to paint Meryl as some kind of distant, and perhaps evil, ice queen makes me love her even more.   

I love that the shot of Meryl playing with her dog in the changing room while Tessa chats with some other skaters about the Paris Grand Prix is framed as if it's an example of how cold Meryl is, and how she's making it tense for poor, poor Tessa. It's hilarious.

I see what they're doing with shots like this: http://fembotz.tumbl...ost/75248892612 , but it just makes me LOVE her more.  I love her looking regal and like she's going to own the world, especially as from interviews over the years I've gotten the impression she's by nature quite shy.  She's come so far in that respect, and now really performs and expresses herself on the ice.

I downloaded the T&S show too and found the way they've edited Meryl amusing.  They've really tried to paint her as kind of an evil ice queen like in the clips you discussed, or the one when she laughed awkwardly during the post GPF press conference when asked about the rivalry.  They really tried to make it seem like she was arrogant because she said Charlie and she tried to focus on their skating rather than Tessa & Scott.  From the few things I've read about D&W they're kind and hardworking.  They're far from perfect I'm sure but it's funny to see how the producers try to build a storyline.  It's the exact opposite of what many commentators are still trying to tell which is that they are all friends which I don't believe either.  I get the impression they were friends during the last Olympics but things have gotten colder as D&W have risen.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 9:22 PM

Guys, in the days before the ice dancing competition, I present the creepiest fan blog of all time

Here's that person's Youtube page, it's equally unsettling.

http://www.youtube.c...s?feature=watch

Saffron

Saffron

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 9:25 PM

Scott and Charlie were, at some point, genuinely friends.  There are pictures of them dressed up like Batman & Robin for Halloween - they had some video game competition and the loser (Scott) had to be Robin.  Somebody who was on tour with them said the two of them would be the life of the party on the tour bus.  I think Meryl & Tessa were never close - which is basically what Scott said in the last episode - but I don't think it's a big deal.

I think Meryl & Charlie went along with the reality show knowing that it would play up the rivalry.  It's a silly reality show - Tessa and Scott get to make some money and they all get a little more publicity.  I noticed both Charlie and Meryl carrying around boxes of Puff's (their sponsor) in various shots and I don't think that was an accident.