Please Read This: Olympics Subforum

• Please log in to reply

15 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 10:44 PM

Starting this early to avoid a situation like the last Olympics, when the forum didn't show up until the Olympics were half over!

Based on what worked (and didn't) in the past, here's how we're going to do this.

1) You can post while you're watching an event , but please remember that this isn't an IM chat -- make sure there's enough context in your posts to make sense to someone reading the thread later. Nothing's less interesting than ten pages of "Oh no, she fell!" with no context. There's no prize for being the fastest poster, so please make sure you have something to contribute to the conversation besides "Wow!"

If you want to set up a live chat room for an event, you can post a link; that's fine. (And if you do post something like that, feel free to PM me and I'll pin your post in the thread so it doesn't get missed.)

2) I think our usual spoiler rules are somewhat unenforceable given the realities of multi-media coverage. So, if you are reading the thread for a particular sport, assume it may contain information about the results. If you don't want to know what happens because broadcast coverage is delayed, or you haven't had time to watch it yet, don't read the thread.

3) Apart from those exceptions, our usual rules about posting & manners apply. Make sure your posts are readable, don't make things personal, etc.

4) When starting topics, please remember that we love clever thread names, but we also love clarity. The preferred format is [Thread Subject]: [Wacky Tagline], so for example: "Figure Skating: Lutz Or Clutz?" (or, y'know, something considerably cleverer than that). That way other posters can find the subject they're interested in without having to search through every thread in the subforum. And you don't need to have a tagline at all, of course.

5) Since Figure Skating tends to draw more posts than any other section, one suggestion from 2010 that I think we should follow is to create separate threads for the various events: Women, Men, Pairs, Ice Dancing, whatever else I'm missing.

I'll archive this section a week or so after the games are over.

If there's anything I'm missing (more than likely) please post here and let me know. Thanks!

I will be your moderator for this section so if you have any questions that you don't want to post about here, send me a PM.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 11:01 PM

Can it be archived after the Paralympics? Granted, NBC probably won't cover much of them (again), but still.

Souris

Souris

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2014 @ 11:44 PM

Yay, thank you! I'm such an Olympics slut.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 3:55 PM

Yes, but can you send me a PM after the Paralympics reminding me?

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 5:23 PM

Could we possibly get this forum added to the big block o'cheese, please and thank you?

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 8:52 PM

Or at least a link at the top of the main sports forum?

Right now, I'm getting in by finding the last post in the Olympics thread in Sports, and it would be nice to be able to skip a few clicks.

It would also make it easier for other folks to know the forum has gone live.

Souris

Souris

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 7:04 PM

It's been in the pulldown menu since it went live. It's the first item listed under "Other Shows" after all the show-specific forums.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:30 PM

Hi! 1) Can you please add the subtitle "We Scream for Ice Queens" to the Ladies Figure Skating thread? 2) There's an extra Figure Skating thread-- "Figure Skating: Toe Pickkkk!"

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2014 @ 8:32 AM

It's been in the pulldown menu since it went live. It's the first item listed under "Other Shows" after all the show-specific forums.

I can find the forum if I go to the listing of all the forums, but I don't see it in the big yellow menu that pops over the screen when you mouse over "forums" on the toolbar.  That is where I always go to find my forums, so it was only happy coincidence I found out this forum existed, since it isn't there.  I am thinking that big yellow box is what someone meant when they said "big block of cheese".

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2014 @ 1:06 PM

Perhaps the "Olympic Politics:" thread could be re-named so that it includes other issues/controversies of the Games that may not be related to politics.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2014 @ 2:40 PM

I can find the forum if I go to the listing of all the forums, but I don't see it in the big yellow menu that pops over the screen when you mouse over "forums" on the toolbar.  That is where I always go to find my forums, so it was only happy coincidence I found out this forum existed, since it isn't there.

Agreed. I would be ever so grateful if we could get a link on the big block of cheese--I stumbled across a link to these forums in the Figure Skating thread in Sports or I wouldn't have even known they were up and running already.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2014 @ 8:09 AM

Hello :)
do you mind changing "Free-Style Skating to Free Style Skiing?" thanks :)

Also can we have the "where will the world party Next" olympic thread moved in here :)

BranMuffin

BranMuffin

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 5:47 PM

I could not find this forum. I had to google and then re-google more aggressively to find it. I think there should be a sticky in the sports section telling people to come here. Or it should be added in the list of shows on the giant yellow menu (under O for Olympics).

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 7:01 PM

I could not find this forum. I had to google and then re-google more aggressively to find it

This is true for anyone new to TWOP who is looking for a forum for something that isn't recapped.  Personally I didn't have a problem finding this - it's the very first forum listed right at the top of Other TV Shows.  Of course having it in the BBOC would make it easier for newcomers but I will leave that to the site administrators.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 10:22 PM

Sorry you've waited for answers to some of these. I will check this thread more often.

We can't add the subforum to the Big Block of Cheese because it's so short-lived. I will add a pinned thread in Sports, though. 

You can always see a list of all subforums by going to the main index page. That's what I have bookmarked and it's where I begin every single trip to the forums.

Now to work on renaming/deleting necessary threads.

If other issues come up that require immediate action, please do send me a PM and I'll get right on it.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 10:26 PM

When I started the slopestyle thread, I didn't realize that there was already slopestyle discussion in the snowboarding thread so you might want to merge them together.