Starting this early to avoid a situation like the last Olympics, when the forum didn't show up until the Olympics were half over!
Based on what worked (and didn't) in the past, here's how we're going to do this.
1) You can post while you're watching an event , but please remember that this isn't an IM chat -- make sure there's enough context in your posts to make sense to someone reading the thread later. Nothing's less interesting than ten pages of "Oh no, she fell!" with no context. There's no prize for being the fastest poster, so please make sure you have something to contribute to the conversation besides "Wow!"
If you want to set up a live chat room for an event, you can post a link; that's fine. (And if you do post something like that, feel free to PM me and I'll pin your post in the thread so it doesn't get missed.)
2) I think our usual spoiler rules are somewhat unenforceable given the realities of multi-media coverage. So, if you are reading the thread for a particular sport, assume it may contain information about the results. If you don't want to know what happens because broadcast coverage is delayed, or you haven't had time to watch it yet, don't read the thread.
3) Apart from those exceptions, our usual rules about posting & manners apply. Make sure your posts are readable, don't make things personal, etc.
4) When starting topics, please remember that we love clever thread names, but we also love clarity. The preferred format is [Thread Subject]: [Wacky Tagline], so for example: "Figure Skating: Lutz Or Clutz?" (or, y'know, something considerably cleverer than that). That way other posters can find the subject they're interested in without having to search through every thread in the subforum. And you don't need to have a tagline at all, of course.
5) Since Figure Skating tends to draw more posts than any other section, one suggestion from 2010 that I think we should follow is to create separate threads for the various events: Women, Men, Pairs, Ice Dancing, whatever else I'm missing.
I'll archive this section a week or so after the games are over.
If there's anything I'm missing (more than likely) please post here and let me know. Thanks!
I will be your moderator for this section so if you have any questions that you don't want to post about here, send me a PM.