Helix: Billy Campbell Goes Viral at the CDC

• Please log in to reply

415 replies to this topic

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 1:11 PM

Due to start January 10th on Syfy.  

Looks pretty good.  13 episode run so far and the first episode will apparently be two hours.  

Since I'm starved for new Scifi, I'm pretty psyched.  Official site here.

Ronald D. Moore is an executive producer, so presumably a robot will be getting it on with someone soon.  

Series Description from Wikipedia here

According to the SyFy Channel press release, "Helix is an intense thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to a high-tech research facility in the Arctic, Arctic Biosystems, to investigate a possible disease outbreak, only to find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that may hold the key to mankind’s salvation or total annihilation. However, the lethal threat is just the tip of the iceberg, and as the virus evolves, the chilling truth begins to unravel."

Edited by stillshimpy, Jan 1, 2014 @ 1:17 PM.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 2:34 PM

I don't know, it could be good (like Continuum), but it could also be also be a miss (like Caprica and SGU), or be a mediocre success/ok type show that would need work to make it a good show (like Defiance) . Although, I am interested in the show but who knows what the show will be exactly like. 

That being said, does anybody know if this show is going to be more serialized or episodic base (and judging from Moore's last two shows, that I have watched on this channel, I would guess that it's going to be more of a serialized show)?

Edited by TVspectator, Jan 1, 2014 @ 2:36 PM.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 2:56 PM

The reason I even heard about the show, TVSpectator was a list of new shows in the winter of 2014 over on either Huffpo or Buzzfeed (sorry I didn't grab a link and now I can't find the darned thing -- I read it and then leapt happily into the New Year's celebrations.  Yes, I'm pleading Tequila brain) .  Anyway, that piece had a review of the first episode linked to within it.  

Said it was nicely chilling and atmospheric and did seem to indicate that it will be serialized.  Although the piece also questioned where the series would go in a second season, so it also sounds like it is meant to be a contained arc.  Possibly.  

Like I said there were New Year Margaritas were at play in my interpretation. 

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 11:07 PM

It would have to be serialized, wouldn't it? Semi-intelligent creeping crud trying to take over the world with only the intrepid staff of an isolated medical research outpost standing in the way of total world domination? Yeah, just try to insert a standalone episode into that.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 11:20 PM

Huh, never heard of this before but I'm always willing to give sci-fi shows a look. Will add to DVR.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 12:08 AM

I read it and then leapt happily into the New Year's celebrations.  Yes, I'm pleading Tequila brain) .  Anyway, that piece had a review of the first episode linked to within it.  

Said it was nicely chilling and atmospheric and did seem to indicate that it will be serialized.  Although the piece also questioned where the series would go in a second season, so it also sounds like it is meant to be a contained arc.  Possibly.  

Like I said there were New Year Margaritas were at play in my interpretation.

Thanks for the info Stillshrimpy, and I had a New Year's Jolly Rancher as my drink of the night (and happy New Year's to you) so I can totally understand where you are coming from. 

It would have to be serialized, wouldn't it? Semi-intelligent creeping crud trying to take over the world with only the intrepid staff of an isolated medical research outpost standing in the way of total world domination? Yeah, just try to insert a standalone episode into that.

IMHO, it doesn't have to be a heavy serialized show (like BSG and Caprica). IMHO, I think we could have a few standalone episodes (without losing sight of the original premise of the show). If the virus gets out and they have to hunt down the who is infected, etc.... 

Edited by TVspectator, Jan 2, 2014 @ 9:30 AM.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 5:07 PM

I saw something at IMDb yesterday, looks like Jerry Ryan will be on the show, not sure if she's a guest star or new series regular

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 5:53 PM

If the virus gets out and they have to hunt down the who is infected, etc....

This reminds me of that canceled-too-soon series Threshold. That was some seriously creepy shit. If this is as good or better, I'm in!

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 7:21 PM

This reminds me of that canceled-too-soon series Threshold. That was some seriously creepy shit. If this is as good or better, I'm in!

I thought Threshold had some very innovative technological backstory that held together under scrutiny--but was maybe too complex for the casual viewer. I'd be surprised if this show goes that route--at least not unless it develops a loyal fan base with good ratings. Most likely they will keep it simple and rely on Billy Campbell's scifi star power.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 7:48 PM

Good analysis, shapeshifter. Threshold was frightening on more than just the usual jump-scare level. I'm not sure how hands-on Ron Moore will be, but he does try to do thoughtful, exciting and entertaining sci-fi. This could be good if it holds the casual viewer as well as those who like substance, and it doesn't get canceled for being both.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2014 @ 1:30 PM

Sounds like the showrunners have a pretty good scifi resume going in.  X-files being in the background of at least one, so here's hoping.  I did have to laugh a little bit that Billy Campbell gets to work with Ron Moore at long last.  Back in the BSG days, Bonnie Hammer (former head of Scifi/Syfy and now former head of NBC Universal) told a story about Billy Campbell at one of the BSG upfronts (the video is out there somewhere, it would have aired right before season four began). 

Apparently he'd approached Hammer at a network event (FX being under the NBC Universal heading also and Campbell was on The 4400) and very[i] enthusiastically told her he'd [i]love to work on BSG.  That he would do an episode for free.  I have no clue, whatsoever why Hammer every chose to become involved in TV, she's the person who famously said that women don't watch science-fiction and then her story about Campbell revealed that she really doesn't get actors much either.  She went on about how strange she found him and how uncomfortable it made her.  I always thought she was being really unfair, actors tend to be enthusiastic, prone to some dramatics (sort of by definition) sorts.  

It's good to know that apparently RDM was far less freaked out by the compliment and instead realized, "Hell, he's a good actor. Score!"   Campbell is good, at least in my opinion, and he does dark material quite well.  The man likely looks grave when telling a knock-knock joke, so he's got the gravitas for the material.  

I'm hopeful.  

I saw something at IMDb yesterday, looks like Jerry Ryan will be on the show, not sure if she's a guest star or new series regular

Now even more so, Jerry Ryan is good too. She actually brought dignity to Seven-of-Nine, which was a challenge in that getup at the time.  Thanks for the info, morrigan.

I had a New Year's Jolly Rancher as my drink of the night (and happy New Year's to you) so I can totally understand where you are coming from.

Oooooh, I am intrigued.  What's in that?  Happy New Year to you too, TVSpectator, may 2014 favor us all with good things :-)  Hopefully this show will be one of them. 

Edited by stillshimpy, Jan 3, 2014 @ 1:33 PM.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2014 @ 1:53 PM

I'm intrigued but slightly scared to watch. I love sci-fi, but too much creepy gore, well it creeps me out. I'm not sure where this will fall on the spectrum. Maybe I'll DVR & then read here first, because I'm not too proud to admit I have a fully developed chicken gene. And happy 2014 to all! I toasted the new year with sparkling grape juice shared by my underage nieces & nephews & got to watch Miley Cyrus on TV with them. Wheeee!

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2014 @ 6:55 PM

I'm intrigued but slightly scared to watch. I love sci-fi, but too much creepy gore, well it creeps me out. I'm not sure where this will fall on the spectrum. Maybe I'll DVR & then read here first, because I'm not too proud to admit I have a fully developed chicken gene.

I'm with you on that, ramble.  I cluck and stop just short of laying eggs when it comes to my own poultry tendencies related to gore.  I can't watch The Walking Dead.  I can't even watch the commercials for The Walking Dead without risking nightmares.  

So here's hoping it won't be too gory, gross, or people-explode-in-HD on us.  

I toasted the new year with sparkling grape juice shared by my underage nieces & nephews & got to watch Miley Cyrus on TV with them. Wheeee!

Hey, you've just described my New Years celebrations for the entirety of my son's childhood, complete with struggles to stay up until midnight. Here's to no hangovers to ring in the New Year!  It is only now that he is grown that the Margs are featured :-) 

Edited by stillshimpy, Jan 3, 2014 @ 6:56 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2014 @ 7:24 AM

There's a 15 minute sneak peak available on youtube. Not sure if it works internationally though. So far looks pretty good. It really reminds me of the Black Oil from X-files. Hopefully the interpersonal crap doesn't over take the sci fi plot. 

ETA: Preview is also available On Demand along with character bios.

Edited by Puds38, Jan 4, 2014 @ 8:03 AM.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2014 @ 9:24 AM

Thank you for the link, Puds.  Yeah, that looks like it has potential, despite some inelegant exposition dumping, mainly perpetrated by older blond science woman, who seemed to be in charge of ramping up the goofy soap opera drama, and dropped a "frakked" so we know Ron Moore's in the house, I guess.  Presumably she will now perish quite swiftly having fulfilled her pot-(and plot)-stirring functions.  

Pilots tend to be a little "we'll see, I guess" for me, and that snippet showed promise, but also potential pitfalls.  

However, I'm pretty psyched that Syfy has a "scifi Friday" show again.   Made me nostalgic for the days before Friday become "Let's find something on Netflix or OnDemand".  More options, less of a fun label than Scifi Friday :-) 

Good to see Billy Campbell brood up the screen again, here's hoping the material gives him more acting dignity than The Killing did.  

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

I tuned into Threshold for a few episodes, and I found it to be okay. Although, I was wondering if they can go back and follow a route that shows like the X-Files (or even Grimm) with an overall arch/mythos while being able to do a few standalone episodes to break up the season into more malleable format for it's audience. IMHO, it's not a dumbing down of the series but, IMHO, having at least some standalone episodes gives a show the ability to have more character development (without the worry that the episodes will be a major effect on the overall arch), eases what ever tensions the overall arch may have, helps to explore the world a bit better, etc...

Yes, I believe that she will be starring on the show as a guest actress. She is listed, on IMDB, for two episodes and her character's name is listed as Constance Sutton (and who knows she could get a more permit role if the show takes off and people like her character).

Jeri Ryan ... Constance Sutton (2 episodes, 2014)

Oooooh, I am intrigued.  What's in that? Happy New Year to you too

Well, its a cocktail, and mine had cranberry juice, pucker, and vodka (all over ice) and here is a link to the more traditional recipe (and, IMHO, it tastes just like the candy Jolly Rancher). Here is a website with a closer recipe to drink that my friend made for me on Tuesday night.

Edited by TVspectator, Jan 4, 2014 @ 9:33 AM.

AntiBeeSpray

AntiBeeSpray

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2014 @ 10:11 PM

@ Puds 38: I noticed that as well. It seems ok enough, but I'm not sure if I'll be watching it.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2014 @ 11:29 PM

So far looks pretty good. It really reminds me of the Black Oil from X-files[background=#f5f5f5]. Hopefully the interpersonal crap doesn't over take the sci fi plot.

Yeah, that looks like it has potential, despite some inelegant exposition dumping, mainly perpetrated by older blond science woman, who seemed to be in charge of ramping up the goofy soap opera drama, and dropped a "frakked" so we know Ron Moore's in the house, I guess.  Presumably she will now perish quite swiftly having fulfilled her pot-(and plot)-stirring functions.

I just finished watching the sneak peak, and I have to say that I also had flashbacked to the X-Files' Black Goo (aka Black Oil, but I always called it the "Black Goo" when I was a kid) while watching it, and that blonde lady saying "Frack" took me out of the show (and it had me waiting for the Cylons or the Colonials to come out and say, "toasters" or something BSG-ish). With the exposition dumped, it was short and quick; what I am worry is that this show will have a lot of angst filled, depressing, and/or boring scenes (like Caprica), and/or it's plot will be all over the place with a bunch of unlikable characters (again, like Caprica). So, when the blonde lady was talking about the relationship troubles, I was fearing that we were seeing a foreshadowing of a love triangle.

Edited by TVspectator, Jan 5, 2014 @ 1:55 PM.

coppersin

coppersin

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 9:34 AM

Either my tv schedule is wonky, or Syfy is showing Episodes 1&2 for 24 hours straight. Have they done that for a new show before?

EllariaSand

EllariaSand

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 9:52 AM

Well, I'll give it a try.  Unless it gets too gory.  The combo of Ron Moore, that guy from Lost, and Jeri Ryan are enough for me to take a look.  I like the idea that it is more or less in real time, with the episodes occurring over a couple days.  

Billy Campbell seems to be alternating between pompous jerk and overly earnest maverick. 

Cute girl scientist: "Who is Peter?"

Me:  "His brother."

Billy Campbell:  "He's my brother."

Hope the rest of the story isn't filled with cliches.  Not looking forward to the inevitable drama between Billy, his ex, and cute girl scientist.

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 1:14 PM

Either my tv schedule is wonky, or Syfy is showing Episodes 1&2 for 24 hours straight. Have they done that for a new show before?

Yup looks to be 24 hours straight! I think they really want this series to work.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 1:30 PM

If any potential Canadian viewers are looking, the show is airing on Showcase (not Space as I would have expected)

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 2:48 PM

Wow. Bold move. If SyFy hadn't already proven to be total idiots in the past I'd be tempted to wholeheartedly admire them for it, but as it is I'm cautious. If this works they'll definitely move up in my estimation from idiots to just "usually inept but showing promise."

Edited by CoderLady, Jan 10, 2014 @ 2:50 PM.

LyneaG

LyneaG

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2014 @ 12:30 AM

After the premier, the 3rd episode was made available on the SyFy site.  I watched it...it kept up the momentum.

I liked this, thought it was pretty engaging.  Also...super glad it wasn't stock zombies, I like the idea of something new to scare me.  :)

statsgirl

statsgirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2014 @ 12:50 AM

I admit, I had to switch channels a couple of times because the horror bits got too much for me (not a fan of the genre and hate seeing animals used in research) but I thought it was a pretty decent couple of episodes.  I'll tune in to see more.  I totally failed to anticipate why Peter cut the guy's arm off.

Couldn't figure out why Hiroshi was so aggressively hitting on Julia though. Was he trying to distract her?

bmoore4026

bmoore4026

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2014 @ 12:59 AM

Is Do you know the way to San Jose going to figure more into the plot besides being background music?

Edited because I am bad at song titles.  Thank you, dcinmb

Edited by bmoore4026, Jan 11, 2014 @ 7:24 AM.

SillyMamma

SillyMamma

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2014 @ 1:56 AM

Is Do you know the way to Santa Fe going to figure more into the plot besides being background music?

Because all the viruses (virii?) are pre-programmed to head south to spread the infection, hence the snow monkeys?

bmoore4026

bmoore4026

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2014 @ 2:18 AM

Because all the viruses (virii?) are pre-programmed to head south to spread the infection, hence the snow monkeys?

Now I got this silly image of a bunch of snow monkeys flying first class to Santa Fe.

Edited by bmoore4026, Jan 11, 2014 @ 7:24 AM.

dcinmb

dcinmb

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2014 @ 6:37 AM

Is Do you know the way to Santa Fe going to figure more into the plot besides being background music?

Wasn't it Dionne Warwick's "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?" I suppose it could be a reference to Silicon Valley but I'm guessing the breezy, retro, muzaky song was intended to ratchet up the surreal creepiness of the show.

ETA:

Edited because I am bad at song titles.  Thank you, dcinmb

I just figured you were too young to know the Dionne Warwick song! And it's really not clear whether she's saying San Jose or Santa Fe.

Edited by dcinmb, Jan 11, 2014 @ 9:14 AM.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2014 @ 6:54 AM

Won't lie; the music made me laugh a little.  Shades of Fallout, and all.