The Wolf of Wall Street

• Please log in to reply

47 replies to this topic

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2014 @ 8:39 PM

When the FBI raided the office, they carted out a bunch of people in handcuffs but not Donnie. Since Donnie was his friend, Jordan trusted him and that was a huge mistake.  

Thanks for pointing that out, wlk68. I gasped aloud: "He double-crossed him?" But missed the confirmation you describe.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2014 @ 8:21 PM

The scene at the country club when Jordan's struggling to get into his car, then later at the house when they equate Popeye's spinach to cocaine made me realize that I would love to see Leonardo DiCaprio do comedy.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 6:58 AM

Leo was great in Catch Me If You Can, especially hysterical in the doctor scene. I prefer him in comedy than serious drama.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 6:59 AM

For some reason I got very distracted by the fake background in the scenes in the Swiss bank. The lake is a still photo - the water in the geyser at the right never moves. I'd think a Scorcese production could at least get a film clip.

As for the rest of the movie, I agree with the consensus that it was too long, too much sex and drugs. If the point was to show the excess, yeah I get that, and even if you left the scenes in, most of them could be edited down by half. I'd prefer to see more on how the FBI made it's case

I did think Dicaprio gave a great performance.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 2:32 PM

The scene at the country club when Jordan's struggling to get into his car, then later at the house when they equate Popeye's spinach to cocaine made me realize that I would love to see Leonardo DiCaprio do comedy.

According to the Golden Globes, you have. He won best actor in a comedy or musical for this film last night, and it sure wasn't a musical.

Honourblade

Honourblade

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 6:25 PM

It had funny aspects but I personally wouldn't rate it an actual comedy. Material was way too serious and dramatic though some situations could be construed as funny.  But, the majority of movie is dramatic  in tone.

SeanC

SeanC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 8:32 PM

I don't agree there at all.  The only dramatic scenes in the movie are ones around the breakup of his marriages.  Everything else is comedy -- pitch black comedy, but comedy nonetheless.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 9:40 PM

For some reason I got very distracted by the fake background in the scenes in the Swiss bank. The lake is a still photo - the water in the geyser at the right never moves. I'd think a Scorcese production could at least get a film clip.

They must have gone over budget at some point.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2014 @ 8:46 PM

So Donnie ratted him out in the end? I just had figured the FBI found the note as I didn't think that they would take Donnie's word for it that he passed him that.

And I didn't really get the ending.. he moves to New Zealand?

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 2:09 PM

I agree that the show of excess was ... excessive, but I think that has more to do with the choice of narrator. I haven't read Belfort's books, so maybe he does go into detail about his actual cons and the FBI take down but what I understood was this was how he operated on every level; he worked out the "boring" numbers while he captivated his audience with a show.

And I didn't really get the ending.. he moves to New Zealand?

I'm pretty sure it was in Australia and he didn't move there, he was there as a motivational speaker which is how Belfort makes his money now. The point was we just watched what a horrible person Belfort was/is and he still fills rooms of people to listen to him and possibly even emulate him, which gives me the willies.

I'm usually not that impressed with DiCaprio but he was good and I certainly never imagined seeing him paired up with Jonah Hill and they were hilarious together. They had me at the first crack pipe they smoked together. 

Edited by quentin312002, Jan 22, 2014 @ 2:39 PM.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2014 @ 6:48 PM

Fast paced, good but way way too long. No way it needed to be 3 hours.

C0mputerGeek

C0mputerGeek

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2014 @ 2:51 AM

So Donnie ratted him out in the end?

Yes, at the end when the FBI raided the offices they took away all the other key traders except for Donnie. It's because Donnie took the note to the FBI and cut his own deal.

sweetcookieface

sweetcookieface

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2014 @ 1:29 PM

I really enjoyed this. In fact, it's probably my third favorite of the BP nominations (after Her and 12 Years a Slave). I didn't mind the 3-hour running time - it was a fast-paced, exhilarating ride, and one of the funniest movies I"ve seen in a while. That quaaludes scene (and the subsequent Popeye scene) is an instant classic. Leo was fantastic, and this is coming from someone who's not a huge fan of his (he's always good, but just short of great IMO, because I usually feel like I can see him acting). Well done, Marty.

SheenieB

SheenieB

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 9:07 AM

What seemed to be glossed over is that his father knew about his scam, but didn't try to smack some sense into him. Perhaps he didn't know the full scope of the operation, but as an accountant, spending $26,000 on dinner should've been an immediate red flag that something wasn't right. I know he chewed the guy's out when he was going over the bill, but in the end, it seemed as if he just shrugged and turned a blind eye to Jordan's criminal activities.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 11:02 PM

What seemed to be glossed over is that his father knew about his scam, but didn't try to smack some sense into him. Perhaps he didn't know the full scope of the operation, but as an accountant, spending $26,000 on dinner should've been an immediate red flag that something wasn't right. I know he chewed the guy's out when he was going over the bill, but in the end, it seemed as if he just shrugged and turned a blind eye to Jordan's criminal activities.

Glossed over maybe, but the father’s behavior made total sense. A monster like Belfort couldn’t have developed in a vacuum. The old man probably had some questionable ethics himself to have raised that bastard. His anger at their spending was likely due to his concern for the company’s bottom line, not any ethical or moral qualms about the guys procuring industrial quantities of hookers and blow.

And I think the movie confirms this by subtly undermining Belfort’s claim that he was a naïve innocent when he first arrived in Wall Street. When he decides to start Stratton Oakmont we see him recruit his childhood friends and they are all petty criminals and already sociopaths. The most levelheaded of the bunch was a full blown drug dealer for crying out loud!

SheenieB

SheenieB

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2014 @ 1:44 PM

but the father’s behavior made total sense. A monster like Belfort couldn’t have developed in a vacuum. The old man probably had some questionable ethics himself to have raised that bastard. His anger at their spending was likely due to his concern for the company’s bottom line, not any ethical or moral qualms about the guys procuring industrial quantities of hookers and blow.

That's plausible. Judging from his conversation with his father about the hookers being waxed, his dad did strike me as the type of parent who's more of a friend than a guide. I don't know if that was an accurate portrayal of his father, but from what I read, his parents were hard-working folks. Real Jordan was obviously seduced by greed and is probably still a sociopath, but I'm not sure if it's something that he solely did to himself, or if he was put on the path to destruction by his parents. Sometimes kids stray from how they were raised.

TwizzWhizz11

TwizzWhizz11

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2014 @ 3:33 PM

Saw this today and really enjoyed it. I saw it, as others have been saying, as a sort of black comedy. I was laughing at the absurdity of a lot of things, but there were also some really dark and intense moments. 

I honestly can't think of many things that could have been cut - maybe the whole bit with the butler, but that would have maybe been 5-10 minutes. I was thoroughly entertained for the whole thing though - I was amazed, knowing that it would be 3 hours long. 

I thought everyone did a great job. For the women, I thought it was nice to see Cristin Milioti breaking out and Margot Robbie did a really good job, in my opinion. Though, I have to say, her approach to saying she wanted a divorce was pretty dumb. Even if he was sober at the time, I would make sure my kids were at a safe distance before I even breached that area. That scenario could have played out a million times worse than it did (and thank goodness for that). 

Grammaeryn

Grammaeryn

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 6:52 PM

I just saw the movie today and thought it was enjoyable.  There were a couple parts that I thought were either clever or jarring:

- Jordan breaking the fourth wall (basically) by saying, "Oh you don't want to hear about this." as he explained his scheme.

- the weird internal monologues.  It took me a while to figure out what was going on when it started at the Swiss Bank.  I thought it was hilariously effective with the aunt in the park.  BTW the aunt is Patsy from Ab Fab.

For most of the movie, I was completely disgusted but one scene really got me.  I know it was Jordan being a psychopath and drinking his own Kool Aid but when he talked about the single mother broker, I did get choked up a bit.