True Detective: Let's Catch Us a Killer, Alright, Alright, Alright

• Please log in to reply

2147 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 1:41 PM

I'm super excited that this show has generated so much passionate discussion. Please remember that you should stick to posting what you think of the finale and the show, and refrain from commenting on how you can't believe other people loved/hated the finale or speculating on why other people loved/hated it -- those latter two are boards-on-boards.

To review:

"I loved X and Y!" or "I was disappointed in X and Y!" are both great.

"I don't know what all of you who wanted X were expecting" or "Some people are too nitpick" or "I can't believe so many of you liked the ending" are all boards-on-boards, and if you post it, your post will be edited or deleted. 

PM me if you have questions.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2013 @ 8:28 PM

One of the series I'm definitely looking forward to in 2014, starting January 12th, on HBO:

In 2012, Louisiana State Police Detectives Rust Cohle and Martin Hart are brought in to revisit a homicide case they worked in 1995. As the inquiry unfolds in present day through separate interrogations, the two former detectives narrate the story of their investigation, reopening unhealed wounds, and drawing into question their supposed solving of a bizarre ritualistic murder in 1995. The timelines braid and converge in 2012 as each man is pulled back into a world they believed they'd left behind. In learning about each other and their killer, it becomes clear that darkness lives on both sides of the law.

Written and created by Nic Pizzolatto ('The Killing') and directed by Cary Fukunaga ('Sin Nombre,' 'Jane Eyre'), 'True Detective' stars Woody Harrelson as Martin Hart and Matthew McConaughey as Rust Cohle. The series also stars Michelle Monaghan (‘Mission: Impossible III') as Maggie, Hart's wife; Kevin Dunn ('Veep') as Major Quesada, the supervising officer in 1995; and Tory Kittles ('Sons of Anarchy') and Michael Potts ('The Wire') as Dets. Papania and Gilbough, the investigators now probing Hart and Cohle for answers.

I don't know who's been picking McConaughey's scripts after 2010, but he should definitely keep that person around.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2013 @ 7:18 PM

Ok, the thread title is made of YES!

Definitely looking forward to this one. Here's a couple trailers for those who haven't seen them yet.

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 13, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

I'm definitely going to catch this out. The trailers have all been good and I like the lead actors.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2013 @ 2:46 AM

Pizzolatto has a very limited background in TV and film, appears to have done more as a writer of fiction.

Will usually give any HBO show a try. Don't have a strong feeling about the leads but do these guys ever play characters without twangy accents?

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 18, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

I just remembered that Woody and Matthew played brothers in that movie EDTV.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 6:40 PM

Who's Michael Potts from The Wire? I'm shocked I don't know since I work with someone with that exact name and I thought I knew The Wire actors.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

He played the NoI hitman Brother Mouzone.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 10:01 PM

Oh yeah, wow he looks so different. Thanks.

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 21, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

I am hearing this will be a anthology series much like American Horror Story and every season will be different. I didn't realize that but it makes sense.

cam3150

cam3150

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 12:01 PM

I am hearing this will be a anthology series much like American Horror Story and every season will be different. I didn't realize that but it makes sense.

I just found this out...boo. It makes me sad because I've been super excited about this show, mainly because Matthew and Woody are in it.  I am still excited, just not quite as much.

This show looks like it will be really good and the early reviews seem very positive.  I can't wait!

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 5, 2014 @ 11:12 PM

Entertainment Weekly gave it a great review as well but did say Matthew and Woody are good together that we will mourn only having them for 8 episodes.

I do enjoy the fact that AHS changes every year so this might turn out to be good. To be fair AHS keep's  bringing back the actors I like so that does play a factor.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:07 PM

McConaughey was the standout, and I really enjoyed his performance, but must every brilliant detective be equally damaged?

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:39 PM

Totally blown away by how awesome Woody Harrelson and McConaughey's performances were. Loved the premiere.

My cable was acting hinky during the scene where the woman came to the station with the depositions from ... who? Why was WH's character acting so cagey when she arrived? I got the impression they were having an affair but maybe I missed some critical dialogue would have explained his weirdness.

loki567

loki567

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:45 PM

I'm gonna throw out a guess already that the 2012 killings are being done by Hart, not Kohl. I think Hart's going to turn out to be a lot more broken by the end of the season than Kohl. 

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 12:34 AM

Why was WH's character acting so cagey when she arrived? I got the impression they were having an affair but maybe I missed some critical dialogue would have explained his weirdness.

There wasn't any explanation given (unless i missed it too). I also got the affair vibes from that scene.

Edited by MrWhyt, Jan 13, 2014 @ 12:35 AM.

Maysie

Maysie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 1:10 AM

First impression is it's great. I've never been into McConaughey so much, but I thought he was excellent. They did a great job of changing up his look, too. Of course, I dig Harrelson, so watching was a no-brainer. I"m happy to say I'm intrigued and unless something goes dramatically off the rails, I'm all in.

I'm gonna throw out a guess already that the 2012 killings are being done by Hart, not Kohl. I think Hart's going to turn out to be a lot more broken by the end of the season than Kohl.

Hmmm. I was thinking it was Cohle, but this would make it especially interesting. I assumed Hart was having an affair with the woman who "brought the files," which means everything is not as picture-perfect with him as he seems to want life to be. Cohle's obviously got a mess of problems and a lot of darkness going on, but he owns it.

And yay for seeing Clarke Peters!

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 1:20 AM

Probably my favorite winter pilot so far.  A bit slow at first, but it really kicked into gear quickly, and I thought Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson were both amazing.  By the end of the episode, I was already interested in both Rust and Martin, which is rare for me, this early on. While having one of the detectives be "damaged" has been done before, Matthew did something with Rust, that it felt not as cliched as normal.  And, of course, I loved Martin's annoyed reactions to all of his Debbie Downer, "human beings suck!" attitude.  The chemistry is already there, which doesn't surprise me.

I totally think Martin is having an affair with that files girl.  Already preparing to be shaking my head at him, and go "Why would you ever cheat on Michelle Monaghan?!"  Especially since files girl is played by Alexandra Daddario, who is gorgeous on the surface, but I always found empty in all of her past performances.  Either way, I have a feeling that Martin is going to end up having a lot of skeletons in his closet, by the end of these eight episodes.

Loved seeing some of the former alumni from The Wire: Michael Potts (Brother Mouzine!) as one of the detectives interrogating Rust and Martin, and Clarke Peters (Lester!!!), as the reverend.  Always good to see Kevin Dunn as well (as the major/boss of Rust and Martin.)

Edited by thuganomics85, Jan 13, 2014 @ 2:31 AM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 2:26 AM

I've never been into McConaughey so much, but I thought he was excellent.

I've found him to be a decent actor.  At times I've even found him hot (A Time to Kill).  But he has been on such a great run the past few years and it continues with True Detective.  He has been making some smart choices when it comes to parts.

I have a feeling that so much of this dialogue would've made me roll my eyes had I read it on paper or in a book.  The set up could also be considered a bit cliche.  But when cliche is presented the way it was presented in this episode, it can be so satisfying. It reminds me why some things are used enough to be considered 'cliche.'

It was hypnotic and I really wish I could marathon all these episodes at once.  I am going to be jealous of the viewers who won't watch until later who can do that.  I can't wait until next week.

MommaJ

MommaJ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 3:03 AM

Enjoyed both leads, but thought the direction was awfully heavy handed and the atmospherics a bit much.

mongrel

mongrel

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 5:32 AM

Great to see two such brilliant actors involved in something like this. I usually credit the UK with doing such a good job on these types of miniseries but HBO proves again that it excels at producing quality television.

I don't think either detective is actually responsible for the killings, but I get the impression that in the present day, both know who the killer was/is and one/both had a hand in covering it up. Looking forward to the next episode.

On another note, all these creepy series being set in Louisiana are making the state look like a very unsettling place. Definitely not planning on paying a visit any time soon.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 7:58 AM

I liked it, although Matthew M. can be a bit of a smug, self-indulgent showboater sometimes, and there were glimpses of that last night. And we've already seen the artistic staged murder scenes too many times in other shows (i.e., Hannibal) for them to have an impact.

I'm from Louisiana and I like it when we are treated to something other than bayous and gators. We got a sugar cane field last night.

I spotted a beloved actor from long ago - Don Yesso from my Frank's Place (a comedy set in New Orleans) and who is a native of Louisiana. Yesso played Shorty, and we were treated to an authentic accent way back then. Now he's playing the quiet white-haired, uniformed cop.

Edited by pasdetrois, Jan 13, 2014 @ 9:48 AM.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 9:45 AM

Every time Woody talks I keep on hearing Tallahassee from Zombieland.

If Bill Murray makes a cameo he's a dead man.

cam3150

cam3150

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

I really, really liked this. It did start out a touch slow but all pilots do that so it was fine.  It was not as creepy/gory as I was expecting, given the subject matter. However, I can see that the killer is into some freaky stuff (being set in Louisinanna, that's nearly a given) so I'm sure the demonic/occult stuff is coming. 

I don't think either detective is actually responsible for the killings, but I get the impression that in the present day, both know who the killer was/is and one/both had a hand in covering it up.

This is the way I was leaning too.  Clearly whatever happend really messed Cohle up as he has yet to recover. 

Whoever is responsible for the hair/makeup on this show deserves an award.  They are doing a fabulous job with both the leads and showing how different they looked then vs now.  I need them to take their talents to a few other shows I watch please.

I have a feeling the more this goes on, the more upset I'm going to be about the anthology format.  I am only watching for Mathew and Woody. Those will be very large shoes to fill in season 2, if there is one.

We got a sugar cane field last night.

Funny, I just drove through the state of Louisianna on my way to Texas and was shocked at the amount of sugar cane fields there. I just had no idea.

He has been making some smart choices when it comes to parts.

Completely agree, I guess we can now add "Golden Globe winner" to his resume.  Congrats to him!

Bkwrm

Bkwrm

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 11:13 AM

McConaughey was the standout, and I really enjoyed his performance, but must every brilliant detective be equally damaged?

Yes. It's in the TV constitution. Will this site have recaps? 

The Solution

The Solution

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 11:20 AM

On another note, all these creepy series being set in Louisiana are making the state look like a very unsettling place. Definitely not planning on paying a visit any time soon.

I know, right? Top Chef: New Orleans scares the ever-living shit out of me!

That being said, I thought the first episode was pretty amazing. Loved how McConaughey inhabits his character. He needs to put some weight back on. It hurts to look at him.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 12:57 PM

Will this site have recaps? 

It looks like Jacob is doing the recaps.

tardigrade

tardigrade

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 1:57 PM

Whoever is responsible for the hair/makeup on this show deserves an award.  They are doing a fabulous job with both the leads and showing how different they looked then vs now.  I need them to take their talents to a few other shows I watch please.

I didn't notice the hair and makeup - I was too busy paying attention to the absolutely stunning cinematography and set design!  This was a beautifully constructed show.

fester01

fester01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 2:37 PM

Why was WH's character acting so cagey when she arrived? I got the impression they were having an affair but maybe I missed some critical dialogue would have explained his weirdness.

There wasn't any explanation given (unless i missed it too). I also got the affair vibes from that scene.

Me, too.  She said the files had to be given to him only, and he took her into a windowless room to talk.  Also, in the present day scenes, Woody is not wearing his wedding ring.

Edited by fester01, Jan 14, 2014 @ 10:12 AM.

itsallgravy

itsallgravy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 2:40 PM

It was hypnotic and I really wish I could marathon all these episodes at once.

I hear ya but you miss a lot when you marathon shows.  I marathoned The Sopranos and after rewatching it four times realized that I missed so many acting nuances and plot points by binge watching.  I'm going to savor this show because this first epi was fantastic if a little Twin Peaks.

The opening montage was very reminiscent of the opening of True Blood.   I'm wondering if the same creative team did both openings.  Even the voice in the song sounded familiar. 

Every time Woody talks I keep on hearing Tallahassee from Zombieland.

I love Woody Harrelson, he's such an under rated actor.  Zombieland was a fantastic zombie movie thanks to Woody's complicated yet funny portrayal of a man that had lost his son but was deteremined to survive.  He was so compelling!  He's compelling in this show too and yet he manages to crack me up.  My favorite line of the evening was when he tried to draw Rust out during a car ride and not liking what he was hearing declared that in the future car rides would be time for "silent contemplation".   Woody gives good snark.

Does anyone know what city/town they're supposed to be in?  They seemed to have quite a large police dept with lots of detectives.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 2:47 PM

They are in Vermilion Parish, and the largest town is Abbeville. I think they referred to a crime happening in St. Martinsville, which is not far away. This is a southern parish that is coastal on the Gulf of Mexico.

If you've read James Lee Burke, it's similar.