Breaking the Faith

• Please log in to reply

124 replies to this topic

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 9:44 AM

http://www.tlc.com/t...aking-the-faith

Starting Nov 24 on TLC, this show should be a refreshing change from all the shows sugar-coating polygamy, and ignoring the collateral damage of polygamy, ie the "lost boys."

BREAKING THE FAITH shares the story of eight young men and women who are trying to build a new life outside of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (known as the FLDS) – either by choice, or by force. For the young men known as “lost boys”, these cast-outs are looking for a fresh start after being kicked out of their homes. Meanwhile, the women are escaping the controlling ways of their faith – including arranged marriage and a life of complete submission, known as "keeping sweet" – hoping for a better life on the outside.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 11, 2013 @ 5:49 PM.
Added quote tags

Astriferous

Astriferous

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

Sounds intriguing.  I wonder how successful they'll be.  I'm sure they'd get a lot of help from groups or organizations that are devoted to helping people like them, much the same as with young women wanting to leave Amish or Orthodox Jewish communities, but I'm interested in how they'll adjust to being totally alone.  No friends, no family, just themselves. 

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 11:15 AM

It looks like a serious change of pace for a network that has aired several series or varying success promoting polygamy as an almost mainstream phenomena.

Astriferous

Astriferous

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

Given some of the other crap TLC has aired or is continuing to air, the existence of this program is a breath of fresh air.  I do agree that they've tried to make plural marriage seem like something everyone is doing, and I think that has a lot to do with the show Big Love that aired on HBO a few years ago.  I'm sure there are people who think polgamy should be legal, and not even because their religious beliefs would dictate that, but we don't really need to get it shoved down our throats either. 

ellen3

ellen3

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 11:33 AM

I'm really glad that they are going to discuss the "lost boys" - the young men who are forced to leave because they compete with the older men for wives. No one ever confronts the fact that if you have one man with more than one wife, you have other men who have no wives. Basic arithmetic; polygyny is a pyramid scheme.

pxxd

pxxd

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

This could be interesting, but after what a sham Breaking Amish turned out to be I don't have high hopes.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 5:15 PM

I keep seeing a promo where someone says "God squad" and it makes me laugh, even though I'm pretty sure it shouldn't.

Edited by WhitneyWhit, Nov 10, 2013 @ 5:15 PM.

Xerographic

Xerographic

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

So this is like Breaking Amish but with men who were forced out of the FLDS? Should be quite interesting.

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

Not only the boys who were forced out but women and girls who have escaped polygamy. Hopefully it will not be made in the mold of "Breaking Amish" (faked beyond belief, using Amish who had left the religion many years earlier). There was discussion on the Sister Wives Blog earlier this fall about the show and if I remember correctly, several ex-FLDS members who help plygs escape are involved with the show. I need to go back and wade through the archives, but I'll see what I can find.

I too am glad to see a show about the reality of polygamy. The "God Squad" they talk about in the promo is horrifying. They spy on the townspeople of Colorado City, AZ/Hillsdale, UT, where Warren Jeffs rules over the FLDS. They video-record everything that everyone does and use the information to tear apart the community. That's how Jeffs still knows what is going on from his jail cell.

ETA: Found it! I got things switched- Breaking the Faith has Sam Brower involved somewhere in there. He is a private investigator who spent many years investigating Warren Jeffs and wrote the book "Prophet's Prey". He's supposed to be pretty hard-nosed about getting the truth on polygamy out to the public. Ex-FLDS member Flora Jessop, who helps plygs escape, is involved in the other anti-plyg show that is going to air in December, Escaping the Prophet.

Edited by Galloways Cave, Nov 10, 2013 @ 6:18 PM.

Curious5

Curious5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

This  should be an important show if they expose the truth about the control of women and how they treat the young men (Lost Boys)

It was a shame they couldn't break up that group that Jessop was controlling - those children and women are still being brainwashed.

How I would love to be the mouse in the corner listening to the Sister Wives during the show!  Another sad, sad story.  And though a "good" spin was attempted with the polygamy shows, it was fairly clear that polygamy makes for unhappy, jealous women, confused children and a big bill for welfare rolls since they all are on the take.

KarenESP

KarenESP

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 24, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

I can't wait to see it, revenge for being stuck watching other "it's a wonderful life" plyg shows - Run young ladies in Prairie Dresses Run!!!!!

persiaa

persiaa

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

I'm really interested in this show, as long as it's not the fake that Breaking Amish was.

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2013 @ 11:59 PM

So far, I find the mix of wanting to break free from the constant rules and tedium and the brainwashing about the prophet to be rather unsettling.  I liked Ben, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this show.

Fun fact: tons of commercials for "Say Yes To The Dress."

KarenESP

KarenESP

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 9:11 AM

Oh my - what heartbreaking circumstances - based on the clip showing the "brainwashed sisters," its a wonder any of these young ladies have been able to think for themselves and want out.  Of course, they are now all of the age of "breeding cows" about to be led off to the barn and serviced at any moment- which I'm sure is a terror for them.

I wonder if their families will really be moved into "shacks" now because they left - what an awful choice.   And the sister who had to leave the tiny brother, I think that was the worst of the show.  This episode, at least, was "TV With Pity" in my book.

(Previews) And I guessed ahead of time and was still yet disappointed to see that the girls weren't out of their prairie dresses and "helmet head" hairdo's as soon as they were out for a couple of days.  Makes them too easy to spot for those from the compound interested in retrieving them.

It was as despicable as I expected.  I'm glad it was on TV.

Edited by KarenESP, Nov 25, 2013 @ 9:16 AM.

rspory1976

rspory1976

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 9:17 AM

It was a little slow for the starting episode.

I read a lot of books on FLDS. I don't know why, except for the squick factor, maybe.

Anyway, I don't understand why all these people are allowed to come back and forth if they are apostates.

Curious5

Curious5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 9:52 AM

I felt this was an excellent first show of the season.  Sure exposed the control the men have over women.  I was so pleased that they took the time to cover the reality of Jessop and his control from prison.

I am surprised that Discovery is showing the truth about this group.  If they keep  this format it will be a winner. My heart goes out to these girls and women who have only known one way to live and yet they seek freedom and joy.

This was the first time I learned how they make small children work all day.  This was not a show to enjoy but to learn about a hidden horror.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 12:06 PM

It was a little slow for the starting episode.

I agree, I thought it was a little tedious at times.

The music and some of the re-enacted scenes seemed better suited for a horror movie (or Paranormal Witness).  I found Jessup's voice and manner of speaking enough to make me shudder; I didn't need the overly dramatic background effects.

I'm really interested in this show, as long as it's not the fake that Breaking Amish was.

I feel like I'm watching it with one eye open.  If we find out the girls have been out since they were 10 or so, I'm going to be disappointed.  I already had to turn a side-eye at those with "only" 2 Moms.  Are they on the fringe?  Not really a part of Jessup's group?  I hate being such a cynic but after Breaking Amish, you almost have to be. 

Is there really a ban on marriage while the prophet is in jail? I thought I heard one of the girls say she would probably otherwise be married now.

config

config

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 12:41 PM

I thought it was a very slow episode that took forever to get to the retrieval of the girls and then it was over before it was accomplished. Hopefully, once a group is out and trying to adjust to living on the outside it will get better.

rspory1976

rspory1976

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

Supposedly, there was a ban on marriages and babies because if they were good people, he wouldn't have gone to jail, but he reinstated that they can have babies. They just have to have his permission and go to one of the 15 men he's chosen that are good enough to father them.  (Ewwwwwww). 

At least this is what Rebecca Musser's book says.

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

"Keep sweet" sounds 100x creepier than it did before...

I had no idea that their ugly hairdos were "perfect."

I was reminded of the awe-inspiring beauty of southern Utah.  I visited the area 6 times already, and it's quite a distance for me.  They are so lucky to live there.  I might have moved there, but I'm no Mormon.  As an atheist I probably would have had a bad time socially speaking.

Lopethina

Lopethina

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

Sorry to nitpick, but it's Jeffs in jail, not Jessop.

I was surprised that members of the community don't know/don't believe that Jeffs married young girls off.  Isn't the community fairly small and wouldn't everyone know everyone else's business?  Were the underage marriages kept hush-hush, with the girls still living with their parents?  I don't understand how it wouldn't be common knowledge.

KarenESP

KarenESP

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

I too was surprised by the "only two moms" here and there, but then if each and every mom was married to only one or two people, then who would the offspring marry?  Has to be some room in the gene pool I guess... some "tolerance" of a 'few other dudes' around...

And that Jeffs guy- what worm hole did he crawl out of?  I think they should record all of his conversations - they probably already do- and any decrees he makes that endangers minors... say severly restricting diets to the point of potential malnutrician, or violating child (toddler) labor laws or emotional abuse - like saying he's in jail because the rest of the group isn't good enough for him - then I wish they'd just charge him and sock him with some more time - take away his priviledges like communication and so forth. Why should be be allowed a following?  Charles Manson isn't allowed a following, why should this guy get to have a following after all he's been convicted of?

Edited by KarenESP, Nov 25, 2013 @ 4:34 PM.

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 5:33 PM

I know that "vision" about no corn, no flour, no sugar?  That's pretty bloody limiting.  But I think it's common practice for cults to have some food restrictions. I don't know if it's group cohesion or control... but corn/flour/sugar is pretty harsh.

KarenESP

KarenESP

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

When I saw the young lady burning the flour and corn - I was wondering what was left on the list - beans, rice, I guess, maybe potatoes?

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

I almost died at "we're not allowed camping and fishing and no picnicking".  Damn, he knows how to suck the fun out of everything, doesn't he?

"This is the most fun I've had in months" seriously deadpans a prairie girl fully clothed sitting chest high in a body of questionable water.  Not splashing.  Sitting.  Fun.

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 7:39 PM

LOL at "no picnicking" and "no corn."

I'm at a total loss as to how picnics are the devil's work, but when I heard the ban on sugar, flour and corn, I thought perhaps Jeffs is making them follow the Low Glycemic Index diet. Seems a bit trendy for him?

Lopethina

Lopethina

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

Regarding having only one or two moms, was it said on the show, or did I read it elsewhere, that if a man fell out of favor with Jeffs, he wouldn't be assigned any more wives.

RedheadZombie

RedheadZombie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 8:29 PM

Regarding having only one or two moms, was it said on the show, or did I read it elsewhere, that if a man fell out of favor with Jeffs, he wouldn't be assigned any more wives.         

Plus, a man's number of wives reflect the amount of power they have.  Jeff's brother (the bishop) had many more wives, I just don't remember the number.

I am questioning why the 24 year old girl had never married.  She would have been 17 when Jeffs was arrested.  By that time, most of the 17 and 16 year old girls were taken, and that's why they were down to marrying off girls as young as 12 year olds.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 11:24 PM

I don't think this show it real, but it may feature 'real' escapees. If these girls are so sheltered and scared, how did they even know about the TV show, how did they get camera crews on the properties, and how are they doing long interviews which detail their practices, without anyone in the 'Crick' knowing about it.

It doesn't make it any less real if it is a reenactment, but the show should disclose that.

RedheadZombie

RedheadZombie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 12:00 AM

I don't think this show it real, but it may feature 'real' escapees. If these girls are so sheltered and scared, how did they even know about the TV show, how did they get camera crews on the properties, and how are they doing long interviews which detail their practices, without anyone in the 'Crick' knowing about it.

It doesn't make it any less real if it is a reenactment, but the show should disclose that.

I questioned this as well.  The girls just did not seem beaten down enough to still be in the cult.  And the cameras were often in their houses.  Then there was the scene where they pretended that the camera was secretly recording the girl unawares through the hole in the door - but she was mic'd.  And that's why I think the girls were still unwed but in their 20s, this probably happened to them in the past.  Plus there were too many pop culture references and slang used.

I also think those girls would be taking a huge chance trusting these guys.  They are so naive and just easy targets for any predator.

I thought it was odd when the boy's sisters showed up for a secret meeting in the park with a gigantic water bottle.  Who just carries those huge things around?  They weigh a ton.