Mob City: The Show with Three Names

• Please log in to reply

49 replies to this topic

dXw

dXw

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2013 @ 7:09 AM

Didn't see a topic created for this show yet. It begins in December and TNT is already airing promos.

Melissa56789

Melissa56789

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

Yes - the show with three (3) names from Frank Darabont: 

- LA Noir

- Lost Angels

- Mob City

The trailer is on youtube. It looks awesome!

dXw

dXw

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

Didn't really like the first two names but Mob City is on the generic side.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

Definitely looking forward to this. Not as much as True Detective, but still.

dXw

dXw

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2013 @ 8:19 AM

It looks like early reports of a 10 PM airing was wrong as it is now set to air at 9 pm.

http://tvbythenumber...y-video/208496/

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

During some of the baseball promos, they've been referring to this as a "Three week event," so it looks like they're using the earlier airtime because they intend to air it in two-hour chunks.

dXw

dXw

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 8:07 PM

Hmmmm lack of faith in the show and/or ready to get rid of it?

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

For all you Canadians out there, Bravo Canada is going to broadcast Mob City starting December 4. 

Given it's pedigree, cast and crew, I'm surprised TNT would be showing this in December.  Is it a burn off of a bad show, or a legitimate attempt to get to an audience tired of xmas specials and network reruns?

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2013 @ 12:03 PM

I think TNT is just tired of having it not on the air. It's been around how many years now?

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2013 @ 9:01 AM

I'll probably check this out since (a) there won't be much on TV during that time and (b) I could use a new crime/mob drama since I dropped Boardwalk Empire.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

The trailer looks gorgeous. But why air it in December? Doesn't look like a vote of confidence by TNT.

Gigi43

Gigi43

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

Is this a show or a mini series? The "3 week event" commercial is confusing me, I thought it was going to be a new show.

HelpMeRondah

HelpMeRondah

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2013 @ 1:07 AM

I'm assuming that it's airing for 2 hours for 3 weeks. I haven't checked my tivo guide, so it's a just a guess

Edited by HelpMeRondah, Nov 30, 2013 @ 12:00 PM.

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:06 AM

It will air two episodes in a two hour block for three weeks.

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

The premiere is tonight. Who will be watching?

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

Hey Frank Darabont, Mickey Spillane called and said ease back on the hard-boiled dialogue.

Dowel Jones

Dowel Jones

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 12:47 AM

Okay, who's the bad guys and who's the good guys?  You need to shake up the wardrobe a bit.  So Neal McDonough not only got his arm back, he's now Chief of Police Parker, with his very own tower to boot.

I didn't get the ending there.  That couldn't be Jasmine in the photo.  Or what?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 2:22 AM

I was really disappointed, I might watch the remainder just because a bunch of shows are going on hiatus and it's just a two more weeks, but it was blah.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 8:56 AM

Given it's pedigree, cast and crew, I'm surprised TNT would be showing this in December.  Is it a burn off of a bad show, or a legitimate attempt to get to an audience tired of xmas specials and network reruns?

After watching last night, it looks as if TNT is serving up some leftover turkey after Thanksgiving.

If you account for commercials, this "3 week event" is about twice as long as L.A. Confidential.  Based on what I saw last night, I'd rather watch L.A. Confidential twice.

Hey Frank Darabont, Mickey Spillane called and said ease back on the hard-boiled dialogue.

And while he's at it, ease back on the "atmosphere".  OMG, talk about turning it up to 11.  I can imagine the words NEEDS MORE ATMOSPHERE being written all over every draft of the script.

Okay, who's the bad guys and who's the good guys?

I thought the point of Shane's opening dialogue was that everyone is gray, so they're all compromised to some degree.  Except, perhaps, Boy Scout Parker.

I didn't get the ending there.  That couldn't be Jasmine in the photo.

That's her.  After all, if a corrupt cop wouldn't murder a has been comic for 50 grand in 1947 -- worth about 10x as much now according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics -- why else would a corrupt cop murder except for love?

I was really disappointed, I might watch the remainder just because a bunch of shows are going on hiatus and it's just a two more weeks, but it was blah.

My take on it as well.  Maybe, just maybe it will get better, but I suspect it will either paddle along or get worse, and not get worse in an enjoyable fun to hate way.

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

I watched the first hour of it, just enough time to see Simon Pegg bite it, and then I tuned in to Nashville after that. Yeah, that's where it's at with me. There was nothing different about this then so many other mob movies/tv shows and I spent most of the time just being impressed by Pegg's American accent. I was afraid we'd get the accents from that 30's episode of Doctor Who.

Dowel Jones

Dowel Jones

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

That's her.

So he was married to her?  Neither of them reacted as such when they were together.  I guess I'll just have to continue the watch to figure it out.  Anyway, I'll watch just for the Detroit Steel, atmosphere regardless.

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 1:49 PM

The cast is STACKED, and I've enjoyed it thus far. Here's hoping ratings are good to bring about a second season.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

Here's hoping ratings are good to bring about a second season.

So far, things aren't looking good.  Only about 2.3 million tuned in.  I don't see it surviving with those ratings, especially since the show looks pretty costly.

It did have a great cast.  The Walking Dead guys (Jon Bernthal and Jeffery DeMunn), Neal McDonough, Robert Knepper, Milo Ventimiglia, and Simon Pegg all brought it.  And even the smaller roles has some great guys like Gregory Itzin, Michael McGrady, and the guy who plays Scully on Brookylnn Nine-Nine!  But it just felt like a hybrid of L.A. Confidential (I really wish James Cromwell was in this, actually) and Boardwalk Empire (despite the twenty or so year difference.)  Not bad, but I was expecting more.  And I think I really lost interest when Simon Pegg got whacked.  It just became less entertaining once he was gone.

Actually, not all the casting worked for me.  I'm not a huge fan of Edward Burns, so I'm disappointed he's playing Bugsy Siegel.  Alexa Davalos is pretty, but I just don't see anything about her Jasmine, that makes me buy that all these guys are falling head over heels for her.  Which is bad since it seems her character is the reason the main arc has kicked off (Jon Bernthal killing Simon Pegg to cover for her.)  Maybe it will get better, but with only six episodes to work with, I don't see it.

At least that diner lady did get her Parmesan cheese.  But I don't see Syd getting a good tip after that service.  Oh, Robert Knepper.  Have you ever not being a psychopath?

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

Honestly those ratings are pretty good considering it's the holidays, it's going up against AHS, and live viewing numbers are going down. Not to mention it's performed on the high end of the TNT 2013 freshman spectrum, though both were cancelled. Also TNT can sell it internationally to make money.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Dec 8, 2013 @ 4:42 PM

I don't know much about the LA mafia scene, so I'm fine with the subject matter. It's looks to me like a pulpy old fashioned B movie noir. Why not? I'm always for something different on tv. Plus, I was loving all the "hey, it's Shane! Maybe he'll play a good guy! No, he won't. Is that Simon Pegg?! Dale's a cop!"

Oh, Robert Knepper.  Have you ever not being a psychopath?

I was like, oh boy. Someone's going to get royally fucked up before this episode is over. No way you cast RK and not let him loose. Although this time he's actually smart it seems. He put on a disguise and packed the two guns. And he knows where the cheese is.

The interrogation room scene was awesome. Why dontcha bring in the coffin and I'll throw myself on it?

So he was married to her?

Why else would a corrupt cop murder except for love?

At the end of the first hour, after Shane gave the money back, the voice over ended with a shot of Jasmine and something hard boiled about love. I thought there was going to be a reveal that they were in cahoots [sorry] together to cut Simon Pegg out and keep blackmailing the mafia, so this was a nice twist.

I like that Shane and his buddy served in the war together but are keeping their association secret.

Also, I want my life to be accompanied by a boozy jazz soundtrack. All the time. "Walking the dog. It's what you do. A man can think when he's walking the dog. Just a man and his dog. On the street."

Edited by ganesh, Dec 8, 2013 @ 4:42 PM.

luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

Enjoying this show a bit. Nothing earth shattering, but it has it's moments. Too bad Ben Siegel doesn't have much longer to live, he is the character I enjoy most.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 8:19 AM

Yes - the show with three (3) names from Frank Darabont: 

- LA Noir
- Lost Angels
- Mob City

They should have called it

- Paint By Numbers

The trailer is on youtube. It looks awesome!

Admittedly, the production values are high.  The sets, the clothes, all of the visuals look great (except for Shane's ear lobes)

The script and the acting, however.

Oh well, at least there was another scene with Shaun of the Dead.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

I don't really read much about any particular show prior to watch even trailers. I find staying unspoiled as possible really works. Typically, TPTBs talk to much about a show and invariably end up shooting themselves in the foot because they over sell.

From what I watched, this is a pulp noir graphic novel on tv that features some historical characters. I don't have a problem with it. We're in an age of tv where *everything* has to be *something*. I'm not one for mindless entertainment, but this is basically a B movie. There's nothing wrong with that imo. It's not great, it's not terrible.

The dialogue and overwrought "atmosphere" seems to me a stylistic choice to mirror a graphic novel style.

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 1:48 PM

I'm out.

Chancellor

Chancellor

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

Skyfall, you were one of the few who seemed to enjoy it.  What happened all of a sudden?