Witches of East End

• Please log in to reply

291 replies to this topic

Rahul

Rahul

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 3:41 AM

Couldn't find a thread on Witches of East End, the new series that is about to debut on Lifetime based on the eponymous book series by Melissa de la Cruz so I thought I'd start one. Wasn't quite sure if it fit into the drama or scifi/action/adventure category (hoping for the later). 

The witching hour is coming. Get ready to meet the Beauchamps, the "Witches of East End."

Lifetime’s newest drama, "Witches of East End," featuring an all-star cast headlined by Emmy Award-winner Julia Ormond ("Temple Grandin," "Mad Men"), Mädchen Amick ("Mad Men," "Damages"), Jenna Dewan Tatum ("American Horror Story") and Rachel Boston ("In Plain Sight") as a family of witches living in the secluded seaside town of East Haven, will cast its spell beginning Sunday, October 6 at 10:00pm ET/PT. Also set to star are Eric Winter ("The Mentalist"), Daniel DiTomasso ("CSI"), Jason George ("Grey’s Anatomy") and Oscar and Golden Globe Award nominee Virginia Madsen ("Sideways," "Anna Nicole").

Inspired by Melissa de la Cruz’s New York Times best-selling novel, "Witches of East End" centers on the mysterious Beauchamp family: free-spirited artist Joanna (Ormond) and her two grown daughters, wild-child bartender Freya (Dewan Tatum) and shy librarian Ingrid (Boston), both of whom are unaware that they are gifted (and cursed) with a magical birthright. Freya is recently engaged to the man of her dreams, wealthy playboy Dash Gardiner (Winter), but when she finds herself inexplicably drawn to Dash’s troubled, enigmatic brother Killian (DiTomasso), bizarre occurrences begin to manifest in her life. Meanwhile, Joanna’s long-estranged sister Wendy (Amick) shows up with a warning that could change the Beauchamps’ fate forever, forcing Joanna to reveal to her daughters that they are, indeed, immortal witches who possess great untapped powers. With their idyllic small-town life now turned upside down, and a formidable and ancient enemy intent on ending the Beauchamp family line, will Freya and Ingrid be able to accept their true potential before it is too late?

Produced by Fox 21 ("Homeland," "Sons of Anarchy"), "Witches of East End" is executive produced by Maggie Friedman ("Eastwick"), Jonathan Kaplan ("Without a Trace," "ER"), Erwin Stoff ("The Matrix") and Josh Reims ("Brothers & Sisters"). Kaplan will also serve as the producing director on the series. The pilot was directed by Mark Waters ("Mean Girls") and written by Friedman.

Promo video

Trailer #1

Trailer #2

Behind the scenes

Edited by Rahul, Sep 25, 2013 @ 3:36 AM.

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

I'm willing to give it a chance. I haven't read the books that this series was based on but I hope it's not just going to try to copy Charmed/Witches of Eastwick. I also hope it's not too black/white, good witches against teh evil bad witches who must be destroyed. Some shades of gray would be nice.

Now that Lifetime has cancelled Army Wives, they need this to be good to fill that hole.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

I didn't know Virginia Madsen was in this? I will give it a chance.

edited because it is Virginia not Virgina

Edited by BeenHere, Sep 27, 2013 @ 1:27 AM.

urbanmilkwoman

urbanmilkwoman

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

One the one hand, Lifetime + witches doesn't sound very good. But then I say that in my head again. Lifetime + witches?! and it sounds like the best thing evarrrr. Add Amick, Madsen and Ormond to this circus and my mouth is salivating. If not good I can only hope it's so bad it's good.

NaramSIn

NaramSIn

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 8:24 PM

Mädchen Amick! Loved her in Twin Peaks. Haven't watched her in Mad Men or Damages, but will be looking forward to seeing her in this series.

Rahul

Rahul

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 2:54 AM

I am so pumped for this show because the TV landscape has needed to fill the void of a good witch centric drama for a while now. However, I'm already a bit apprehensive because

(1) It's Lifetime, and I'm a dude. Their reputation for cheese and male bashing movies-of-the week precedes them. Not sure if the network has produced anything of substantial quality before

(2) Not really convinced of Mrs. Dewan-Tatum's acting chops and she's featured front and center

(3) It appears to be heavily eroticized to pander to the Fifty Shades of Grey reading bored housewife demographic Lifetime. In the latest preview commercial, every time a male is featured on screen he's either shirtless or ravaging some chick. I really hope there's a strong dramatic foundation and that this show isn't just some lame drug store romance set to a witchy backdrop.

On the flip side, the series has a best-selling trilogy of novels to draw inspiration from and it does seem to be the season of the witch with all the other witch-centric shows like AHS: Coven, Sleepy Hollow and The Originals populating the airwaves.

Rahul

Rahul

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

Don't forget to set your DVRs for tonight at 10/9c.

Surprisingly great reviews in the New York Times and Hollywood Reporter.

From the NY Times

The latest additions to the witch infestation sweeping through the fall television season are delightful company, a welcome relief from the rather humorless witches and possible witches who have already turned up in shows like “The White Queen,” “Sleepy Hollow” and “The Originals.”  

They are the women of “Witches of East End,” a series that starts Sunday night on Lifetime. Though the show is a drama, it is served up with a droll comic sensibility that is a refreshing change in this season of sorceresses and she-devils

http://tv.nytimes.co...n-lifetime.html

Hollywood Reporter

Witches of East End is up against a number of other supernatural shows, and there becomes a question of saturation. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your own tolerance for it), we aren't at that point, yet. It seems there's plenty more room at the table, and there, Witches of East End currently looks like the most fun.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2013 @ 1:24 PM

I'm pretty much giving this a chance solely for Virginia Madsen and Julia Ormond...though I'm right next to Rahul in the "It's Lifetime, and I'm a guy...how does this work?" corner.  It sounds faintly like Charmed, if a trifle further down the rabbit hole.

Dream Boy

Dream Boy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

I've been reading the series (just finished book 2 and will be starting book 3), so I'm really curious about how  this translates and what has/has not been changed. I am also here for Mädchen Amick, who I've liked since she was Shelly on Twin Peaks. 

MzLiz

MzLiz

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

That was excellent! One of my new favorite shows. Love Julia Ormond.

Wow, a lot happened in one episode. Can't wait to see what happens next week.

Dream Boy

Dream Boy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2013 @ 10:24 PM

I liked it. There were some definite changes from the book,
Spoiler

The Freya/Killian/Dash (Bran in the books) triangle plays out sorta like what we see except Freya and Killian were less restrained and pretty much getting it on since their first meeting lol And there's more to both brothers than meets the eye but not sure if that part of the novels will play out as it did in the books.

I pretty much liked all of the actresses and thought everyone did a great job. I know Jenna Dewan-Tatum is sorta viewed as the weak link but I thought she did a great Freya. My favorite character though would be Wendy so far. 

Wow, a lot happened in one episode. Can't wait to see what happens next week. 

I totally agree! It was really packed and that's something that I enjoyed. A lot going on and I will definitely be tuning in next week. 

Edited by Dream Boy, Oct 6, 2013 @ 10:29 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

While it was a bit overly snarky for my taste, IMHO, the first episode was actually fairly decent in a just-go-with-it way (sort of like Eastwick by way of the later part of Charmed, I guess, since we've got at least two entities gunning for the resident witches).  They did cram a fair amount of setup into it, though, and that was a pleasant surprise.  The best part of the whole thing, next to the slit in Freya's red dress, was probably Joanna's conversation with crazy-ass Wendy about why she went out of her way to hide Ingrid and Freya's magical heritage from them; Julia Ormond completely sold that for me.

OTOH, I'm already tired of the Dash/Freya/Killian triangle of doom...and it hasn't really started yet.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2013 @ 10:54 PM

I actually like the four female leads, and I assume we'll be getting more Amick somehow. There's a nice chemistry between everyone, which is vitally important in a show like this.

That said, I have zero interest in the love triangle. I am not against love triangles as a rule, but this is a cliche trainwreck.

divatothemax

divatothemax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 12:18 AM

Loved it. I love witch shows in general & still mourn The Secret Circle lol. I'll watch Julie Ormond in anything & she was great as expected. Lifetime is killing it for me w/ Devious Maids & now this show.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 12:58 AM

"It's Lifetime, and I'm a guy...how does this work?" corner

I'm just pretending it's not on lifetime.

Overall I liked it although it's woefully apparent Freya's fiancée's little bro who she keeps dreaming of is some kind of reincarnation of a former lover in one (maybe all) of her past lives.  I also hope the aunt isn't dead dead either.

Rahul

Rahul

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 1:20 AM

That said, I have zero interest in the love triangle. I am not against love triangles as a rule, but this is a cliche trainwreck.

Word. The least interesting part of the show by far.

Did it strike anyone else as odd how little the pilot was actually scored? I binge watched Eastwick (2009) in anticipation for another Maggie Friedman witch series and that show's musical score was prevalent through most of each episode, and very well done.

Overall I enjoyed the episode but the way the scenes were thrown together was a bit clumsy. Also, aside from Julia Ormand and Madchen Amick (who I really loved here), the acting was sophomoric. Dewan-Tatum was the worst offender in that regard. I hope she's able to absorb some of the talent her older peers have because her deficits are even more conspicuous alongside them. I wouldn't mind if Ormand and Amick hogged most of the screen time.

Anyone else feel gypped of a potentially cool special effect when they cut away from the painting just to show a guy fall out and glass shatter? 

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 2:33 AM

Hmm, not sure how I feel about this. I read the books, I thought the first two were OK, but I absolutely hated the final one, so I don't know if I'm going to be hanging around for the series. I guess I'll give it a few episodes.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 7:31 AM

Anyone else feel gypped of a potentially cool special effect when they cut away from the painting just to show a guy fall out and glass shatter?

I don't know, Rahul.  Considering the *ahem* quality of most of the VFX that we did get, seeing Freya's unnamed assailant coming out of the painting likely would have turned out as fugly as the damn exploding roses.

Since you mentioned it, though: this pilot episode was pretty light on BGM, wasn't it?  Considering its nature and tone it probably should have been continuously assaulting our eardrums with nu-pop, but no.  I guess they spent the money on the VFX.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 8:39 AM

I thought this was okay. Jenna cannot act to save her life, but Ormond makes me want to stick to the show.

rr2

rr2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

I liked it more than I thought I would, but I think it is possibly because I have a thing for witches. I feel the reveal scene of them thinking that they have magic powers was very campy. I think I liked the way the tv show Charmed did it better.

I'm glad the sister pointed out how dumb it was that she got run over as a cat.

Making out with your fiance's brother. Really Freya.

I am against love triangles in general nowadays. It's not even truly a triangle at times.. It means the other two in the triangle have to have a relationship to to close it out. It's even worse when they involve family members. I wonder all the time how people who feel about the whole love triangle if it involved two girls and a guy. You put the guy into the exact scenario as the girl character would be in.

With the fertility spell, I would have much preferred if Ingrid had been forced into it instead of her deciding on her own that they were going to do it. Because with Ingrid, she is supposed to be the straight-laced sister to Freya's supposedly flightly, sexy sister. I can't see her character as deciding that they were going to do the spell without having been pushed into it by her friends. Like they could have had the guy librarian friend come up with doing the spell for their friend and force Ingrid's character to get in on it even though she is skeptical and doesn't want to.

I did like the flashback scene of Joanna testing Dash's mortality.

Hopefully, it will be an interesting watch.

Edited by rr2, Oct 7, 2013 @ 10:27 PM.

Rahul

Rahul

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

I feel the reveal scene of them thinking that they have magic powers was very campy.

Agreed. They need to turn down the camp. I wish this show took itself a little more seriously and had a darker tone, like the Dark Shadows revival series from 1991.

With the fertility spell, I would have much preferred if Ingrid had been forced into it instead of her deciding on her own that they were going to do it. Because with Ingrid, she is supposed to be the straight-laced sister to Freya's supposedly flightly, sexy sister. 

Another good point. The whole friend with a fertility issue was executed poorly. First of all, its not exactly the kind of subject matter you'd be discussing openly at a public library. Second, the wannabe mother was unconvincing at being heartbroken about her plight. 

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

I checked it out when I came across a commercial on one of Lifetime Canada's sister stations. It was fun. I especially enjoyed the byplay between Ormand & Amick, so I'm hoping the cat-lady had one or two more lives left.

Palomar

Palomar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

Agreed. They need to turn down the camp. I wish this show took itself a little more seriously and had a darker tone, like the Dark Shadows revival series from 1991.

I was disappointed in general because it WAS so campy. Had no idea so I was expecting something dark.  Love Ormond, Boston, and Madsen so will give it a try.  Jason George seems to be in everything....he must be one busy guy.

GenieinTX

GenieinTX

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 8:47 PM

Oh wow, I loved it.  I thought it was just the right amount of campy.  I'm sure that AHS Coven will be the serious witch story this season, I was hoping this one would be more lighthearted.  There were tons of cliche and ridiculousness, but I have to say that I'm totally in. 

I'm not interested in the love triangle either, that one is totally cliche.  The one guy who is safe and perfect vs guy I'm having fantasies about.  Eh. 

rr2

rr2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

I'm not interested in the love triangle either, that one is totally cliche.  The one guy who is safe and perfect vs guy I'm having fantasies about.  Eh.

I know. What is the point?

I feel like I already know who she is going to pick. There doesn't even seem to be a real competition. At first, I thought they would do better because she talked about how she wasn't having second thoughts about marrying him and she really loved him. Usually before going into these situations and the other guy comes into picture, the girl always feels like something isn't right so the audience knows she isn't as invested in the relationship as she thinks. But with this, she just starts making out with the guy. WTF.

Not only that but she has been dreaming about him. Hopefully, it won't be a subconscious thing telling her she belongs with the guy and there is really a twist: the guy has been putting the dreams into her mind. So she doesn't know what to believe.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

Absolutely correct. Love triangles are familiar waters, but safe/Boring v. Dark/Mysterious has to be the most played out version of the love triangle possible.

Also, the guy playing Killian isn't very good. Dash doesn't stand out either but then he's supposed to be bland so that you don't sympathize with him over Freya. Unless I'm completely misreading this and Freya turns out to be the heavy. Now there would be a twist on the same old, same old.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

I am against love triangles in general nowadays. It's not even truly a triangle at times.. It means the other two in the triangle have to have a relationship to to close it out. It's even worse when they involve family members. What would your I wonder all the time how people who feel about the whole love triangle if it involved two girls and a guy. You put the guy into the exact scenario as the girl character would be in.

I don't know what we're supposed to do with book vs. tv series, so I'm going to put this in spoiler tags 

Spoiler

rr2

rr2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

Maybe the lifetime show will tidy it up quickly. We can only hope. Most likely not though.

Edited by rr2, Oct 7, 2013 @ 10:34 PM.

caffeiney

caffeiney

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 11:07 PM

Haven't read the books, but I just watched the first ep and I really like it! Although I did a groan at the love triangle - it's so cliched and I'm sure I'll get sick of it really quickly. Loved Wendy and Ingrid (seriously, I think I have a mega crush on Rachel Boston already) and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Rahul

Rahul

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2013 @ 12:14 AM

Loved Wendy and Ingrid 

I share in the Wendy love, but not on the Ingrid bandwagon just yet. I didn't like the way Rachel Boston delivered her dialogue with over-the-top über earnestness. It felt like overacting to me.