The Blacklist

• Please log in to reply

1825 replies to this topic

mrs peel

mrs peel

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

I'm probably way off base but I missed the explanation of how she got the scar on her hand and was it supposed to look like the cut out on the box her husband had hidden under the floorboards?

She said “there was a fire” and that “Daddy gave it to me.”  I think she said it happened when she was 14 – based on everything Spader said I assumed her father set her on fire.  I also thought the cut out on the box looked like her scar. 

I thought that it was odd that she was scrubbing her carpet while her husband was in the hospital

I thought it was odd because it clearly was an area rug, Jeez, take it to a specialty dry cleaner who can get that out.  But yeah, she should have been working or at her husband’s bedside.

I’ll be disappointed if Spader turns out to be her father, too cliché.  I like the idea that her father is the really big fish, hadn’t thought that far.  Nor had I thought about the coincidence that Reddington left his wife/daughter, profiler had a criminal father.  I hope it’s just coincidence…

Overall I liked it enough to continue watching.  If they somehow manage to find every bad guy in 45 minutes each week that’ll become annoying though.  Even Revenger stopped with the “revenge of the week”.

On stupid FBI agents, I could see them not worrying about the diversion since they presumably thought they’d avoided the kidnapping by intervening and taking her out of the school.  However, had they looked to their LEFT, they would have seen traffic moving!  No hasmat issue 20 feet away!  Ok then.  And ridiculous to think the bad guys could have figured out the alternate diversion so quickly (or was Spader telling the FBI about the kidnapping plot the diversion itself)

More on stupid FBI agents, yeah, there’s no way she kept her criminal father hidden from the security background checks.

Now, if they continue to be that stupid, ala the pilot of The Following (I couldn't continue to watch), I'll be out.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

I thought it was odd because it clearly was an area rug, Jeez, take it to a specialty dry cleaner who can get that out. But yeah, she should have been working or at her husband’s bedside.

It wasn't an area rug, the room next to where she was scrubbing had hardwoods and an area rug but the room has wall wall to wall carpet because it fit in the doorway. The fact that I noticed this indicates that even though there was so much going on, I was still bored. I did like it better than Hostages so maybe I will give it another chance.

fountainof

fountainof

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

I liked it.  It did have a lot in the show for an hour though.  I must admit I didn't really see the father/daughter connection, I figured there was some other reason he chose her that we didn't know yet.  The reason at the end why he turned himself in is kind of interesting.  Maybe like the other guy he is also dying and wants to get back at all the people on his list?

I didn't mind that Liz looked good, even after a busy day at work that included a shoot out, I didn't think she looked too made up just reasonably made up to how most women go to work everyday.  I do prefer that to say on the Killing where the leading woman looked horrible all the time and always wore a ponytail.

ETA: I figured she was scrubbing the carpet in the middle of the night when visiting hours were over and she needed a break from working many hours straight.  I personally wouldn't be able to just look at my hubby's blood sitting there so I would clean it asap too.  I did like that they kept the blood as in some shows the person comes back and the house is like nothing ever happened.

Edited by fountainof, Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:41 PM.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:55 PM

I think somehow Red managed to get someone to put it there to make Liz suspicious of her husband.

When Red was talking to the Bad Guy of the Week, the BGOTW said he did what Red told him to do with the husband.  At first I took it that Red told BGOTW to torture the husband, but BGOTW may well have gotten into the house before the husband came home and planted the evidence.  Working against that theory is that Liz had to cut the carpet to get to the hidden box, so husband may well be hiding lots from her.

Her cleaning the carpet didn't bother me that much.  I just figured she visited her husband, went home to sleep and once she got there the adrenalin kicked in and she couldn't sleep.  Trying to make her home normal and return it to some semblance of a safe place made sense to me.  I would have trouble sleeping with bloody carpets and blood all over the walls.  

EolivetB

EolivetB

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

The more I think about it, the less convinced I am that Reddington and Keen's dad are one and the same, and the more I like my theory that Keen's dad is actually the big fish at the end of the list, who Reddington is trying to flush out.

I like that theory. Mine was he's her husband's father (the "fake identities/lots of money" seemed very familiar).

That makes Reddington pretty sick to order that kind of hit on his own son -- but I guess the guy didn't die. Maybe they're on opposite sides of the law? (reverse shades of Jack Bauer and his criminal dad on 24)

I'm sure I'm wrong, but that was one of the only non "He's her father" twists I could possibly believe.

Edited by EolivetB, Sep 24, 2013 @ 4:02 PM.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

I thought it was great. I know it's fat fetched but I've watched way hammier. I though Spader was fantastic and clearly having fun while the lead female is perfectly likeable while not being too over the top tough. As a fan of the recently deceased 90210 I've always liked Ryan Eggold and it's great to see him looking great again and finally getting a role he can sink his teeth into (I haven't seen the promo for next week so hoping he's still alive).

Either way count me in, I've watched Sleepy Hollow, Moms and Brooklyn 99 so far of the new shoes and this is by far the standout.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

I kind of liked the pilot. It's not Emmy winning or anything, but it's better than The Following, and I only saw one episode of The Following.

That being said, if they make Red Keen's father, I'll give up on the show entirely. I'd actually applaud them if he wasn't. Making her his daughter would be too easy, too cliched. At least having her dad as the Big Fish, and the ultimate bad guy, would be at least a little different. So as soon as I see the moment where she starts suspecting Red is her father, I can relax slightly. That seems to be a sign that it'll be a fakeout.

The show does remind me of Silence of the Lambs and I can't quite pinpoint why. Maybe it's Spader's creepiness that gives me flashbacks of Hannibal. The scene where Red's eating dinner and looking at the camera with the background music was a little creepy and the whole 'criminal being locked in a cell and helping the FBI Agent' thing didn't help matters at all.

Maybe the husband is a secret agent, maybe he's innocent and all of it was planted. I do like Ryan Eggold and I think he's not that bad in the role. Him, Boone and Spader have the best characters for me. But we'll see in future episodes how I feel about all three of them.

As for the blood cleaning, that might just be how she deals with stressful situations. 

I also kind of like how Keen knew she had to give up the child because she was in no position to fight back and protect the child in the car. Most shows probably would have had her breaking out, shooting some guys and then getting hit on the head as the child goes screaming. So I liked that particular moment.

What did bother me the most was how they let Red escape the hospital. Not only should guards be outside, they should be making sure all personelle check out and he should have been handcuffed and restrained down on that bed. Also, those windows should have been barred, at best. Come on, he's a powerful criminal, not just some guy who did petty theft. They should have all eyes at all times. It reminds me of every time Neal from White Collar got away from Peter and the FBI. Except he had an ankle bracelet on and he still managed to outsmart them. This was just stupidity on the FBI themselves, not because Red is some super genius. Although pulling the tracking chip out of his skin wasn't too shabby. But unlike Neal, I believe that the FBI are really, really stupid here and the FBI on White Collar aren't. 

And really, it took them THAT long to track him? Red managed to have a full fledged convo with Bad Guy before they even started tracking him! Fail, FBI, Fail.

Other than that, I did like the pilot and will definitely be tuning in for at least another few episodes. Unless the characters I like start making me hate them.

Edited by jessied112, Sep 24, 2013 @ 6:17 PM.

smartbunny

smartbunny

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 6:37 PM

"What did you tell him? Details about my family??"

"Why didn't your father's criminal past show up in your background checks?"

How could they have told Red anything, if that stuff didn't show up?

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 6:38 PM

Loved it...the federal agents are beyond inept.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 6:40 PM

I wonder if the FBI does know about her past, but it's just not common knowledge. Why else would she think they could have told Red about it? So maybe it was vetted, but then in an "eyes only" file or something? or just not part of the regular HR materials.

Bkwrm

Bkwrm

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:17 PM

Red has been on the FBI's Most Wanted List for YEARS; I'm sure they know who his wife and daughter are. Hell, they were probably watching them all this time. I'd like to see them show up. 

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

That was my last viewing...off to try a different new show, how was that other show in that time slot?

I caught the first half of this and the second half of Hostage. No need for me to stay up untill 11 on Monday's anymore.

KK1522

KK1522

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

Whoever said they would watch JS read a phonebook, I second that...or third it...or whatever.

Theory from left field that could/doesn't make sense:  Red is a deep deep deep undercover agent for the CIA.  Except that now his handler and anybody tied to his cases has shaken the mortal coil, so he's up s*'s creek.  Or he has pancreatic cancer and doesn't want to be the one driving the bus to hell.

That made more sense in my head.  But I agree that the pilot had a lot going on in it, however I was intrigued (re: JS), and shall stick around for the required 4-5 episodes to see if there's improvement. 

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:41 PM

Red has been on the FBI's Most Wanted List for YEARS; I'm sure they know who his wife and daughter are.

I agree (it will be annoying if it turns out she is his daughter and they never address that fact), though that doesn't preclude him from also being the father of Elizabeth from a different parent. Did they actually say daughter? I thought they just said child.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:54 PM

I liked James Spader's character a lot and I sort of liked the Elizabeth character, but I am afraid this is the same FBI that is on The Following meets the CIA and terrorists from Homeland.

Surely they can't make James Spader her father.....that would be way stupid.   

Flyingdi

Flyingdi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:55 PM

Aren't Elizabeth and Tom both too old to be Reddington' s  kid?  Didn't they say his kid was born in 1990?  I was thinking for awhile that maybe the  baby they wanted to adopt was Reddington' s grandchild.

BennieHannah

BennieHannah

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

FYI -- if you want to clean blood from a carpet, use OxyClean. Works on bloody diarrhea too! (I had a dog in Addison's crisis once.)  I didn't hate this show...I just didn't love it either. Not sure I'll watch again. Maybe. I've given up on so many shows this year and I've gotten picky about the ones I follow.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

I was thinking for awhile that maybe the  baby they wanted to adopt was Reddington' s grandchild.

That's exactly where my mind went as soon as the word "adoption" was mentioned. But I do also like the idea Reddington knew her father (who is the big fish) and wants to use that man's own daughter to bring him down; that would certainly explain why Red is so fixated on her, why it has to be her.

I am intrigued by the husband. I assume Red sent him as well. Has Elisabeth arrested him, I wonder? Or something? Will she go to his hospital bed to find him missing?

Overall, I enjoyed the show. I've always loved Spader and he did not fail to deliver. The pace was solid, the cast decent (though too much of a sausage-fest if you ask me) and the show was silly and fun enough to get me to tune in next week. The premise seems like it'll last them, but only if they do it well (unlike, say, Alcatraz).

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

Aren't Elizabeth and Tom both too old to be Reddington' s  kid?  Didn't they say his kid was born in 1990?

1990 was when he went off the grid and became a criminal, so it was when he abandoned the kid.  They didn't say how old the child was at the time.  But I can't imagine the FBI doesn't have that information somewhere.  Even if they missed Elizabeth's father in her background check, they couldn't have missed a connection like that.  If they do, Reddington deserves to get away with whatever his master plan is.   

But Elizabeth seems to know her father, so surely she would know if it was Reddington.  She mentioned getting that scar at 14, then later she said she got it from her father.  Or did I hear that wrong?  The show can't be that obvious.

Edited by KaveDweller, Sep 24, 2013 @ 10:23 PM.

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 12:11 AM

Yes, she said she got the scar from her father.

Pippin

Pippin

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 12:59 AM

I love me some James Spader (I was a Legalite and mourned the show's passing most sincerely).  I am in the "read the phonebook" group as well.  As long as he keeps putting that snarky spin on his lines, I'm happy.  I would be delerious beyond words if the big bad turned out to be William Shatner, BTW.

Perhaps he's interested in La Liz because he was in love with her mother?  And feels that her father treated both her and Liz badly, and Liz should have been his daughter? 

Liz doesn't sound like a profiler.  The writers need to read some Jon Douglas or watch "Criminal Minds".  She should have talked about herself in the third person when profiling herself and been more specific.  She sounded like me, and I'm not a profiler.

As for cleaning up the carpet, people deal with stress in different ways.  I remember an episode of "All in the Family" where Edith is worried about something and is making tea (I think) and she tells Mike that when her father was in the hospital, her mother waxed the floor 37 times.  It's funny but it's also true.  It's a mindless kind of thing that takes the edge off.

I think it has potential, especially if they keep Reddington's true motivations murky.  And please, even though history does show that law enforcement in real life can be as dumb as bricks, they can be smart, too.  A little less of the former and more of the latter would be better. 

Shotokanguy

Shotokanguy

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 1:35 AM

Yeah, I think we can forget that Red is her father right now.

1. Red abandoned his family around Christmas time. Keen would remember if her father did this, more than likely, since...

2. She got the scar when she was 14.

There's no way he's the father.

smartbunny

smartbunny

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 8:31 AM

Liz doesn't sound like a profiler.  The writers need to read some Jon Douglas or watch "Criminal Minds".  She should have talked about herself in the third person when profiling herself and been more specific.  She sounded like me, and I'm not a profiler.

This. She acted surprised that she was being asked to "profile herself" but don't you think that would have been an exercise they would have done in Profiling School? 

Also, not for nothin, but if my carpet had my husband's stab-wound blood on it (or doggie bloody diarrhea for that matter) the whole thing is going in the trash and we're calling 800-588-2300 EMPIRE TODAY!

Friscosgirl

Friscosgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 10:57 AM

I try not to expect too much with pilots because of the heavy-exposition, so I wasn't expecting greatness. I feel like this show needs a few more episodes for me to binge watch because I was bored. I've never been particularly drawn to James Spader's acting but I thought he was good here. Scenery chewing, yes, but Megan Boone didn't give him much to act against. She is not horrible, but her performance was flat. I hope that scenes opposite JS and Harry Lennix will help her improve.

... why the hell is Megan Boone wearing that God awful wig?? I seriously kept staring at it like WTF?!? 

Me, too! I was very distracted and stared at it the whole time! Is Megan Boone's real hair terrible or something? Or is she going the Julianna Marguelies route for the character?

Right now, I don't care whether or not Reddington is related or otherwise connected to Liz or her father, but I'll admit to being very intrigued about her husband and his secret box o'espionage...

Julsie

Julsie

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

That was my last viewing...off to try a different new show, how was that other show in that time slot?

Well, it was certainly easier to follow.  What the heck did I just watch?  I could only follow half of the plot.  Or maybe I only think that I followed a whole half of the plot.  Bad guys, bad guys everywhere.

So if someone finds a "secret box o'espionage", what does one do?  I'm thinking a nice new wardrobe and a shopping spree at Sephora.  I suppose you're supposed to turn it in to someone?  "Hi, FBI?  I just found this box under my undisturbed floorboards when I took a crowbar to just the right spot and it contains a bunch of passports and oh... $50."

I don't watch a lot of television but it seems that I know James Spader from somewhere.  Was he ever an annoying comedian?  Or am I confusing him with David Spade?

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

The anvil drop of the father-daughter connection totally missed my head! I don't think the timelines add up and/or believe that Liz wouldn't recognize her father. I'm going to go with the connection between Liz's father leaving and Red leaving his child to be that they'll enventually develop a father-daughter-like bond rather than him being obsessed with her for any letcherous reasons. Although Daddy Keen being the Big Bad could work, too, since it's just as anvilicious that this episode featured the theme of using an enemy's child as part of the vengeance plan.

I also thought Liz's scar and the carving on the box were supposed to match. But, eegads!, I audibly gasped when we saw hubby's secret life inside! So, maybe he's been working with Red to keep tabs on her/control over her...and the scar box shows that this connection has been in play since she was a child...maybe? Well, maybe that can throw a point on the scoreboard for Liz being Red's kid. Hmm.

It did seem like Red set up this whole plotline. The bad guy of the week was doing what Red told him to do with Liz/hubby. (Oh, maybe hubby doesn't work for Red since Red had him tortured...or maybe now that Red has his own connection with Liz, he doesn't "need" hubby anymore... Who the heck knows!) The FBI--on Red's advice--helped the girl get kidnapped by being the one to take her out of dance class and bring her straight to the scene. He had the other guy at the ready to disarm the bomb. Maybe he set up this week to ingratiate himself with the FBI. Or maybe this is how it's going to go every week: He really is getting the bad guys but using his connections with them to get them to do bad stuff so then he can swoop in and save the day, while simultaneously keeping the FBI somewhat in the dark so that he maintains the upper hand at all times over both sides. Well, now that I typed that out, that would be the obvious modus operandi of the character/formula of the show, lol.

In all, I really enjoyed the show! Spader was just so much fun to watch! Over the top characters/actors in a show really ratchet up the entertainment value for me, yet I could see how it might be a detractor for other viewers. The story was also very action-packed. It didn't feel dragged down by exposition as most pilots do; it felt more like a movie to me. There's enough mystery involved to pique my interest but not so much that it's hard to follow.

Danielg342

Danielg342

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

This. She acted surprised that she was being asked to "profile herself" but don't you think that would have been an exercise they would have done in Profiling School?

I agree. Another part of the profiling equation is the ability to think like a criminal. It was eye-rolling to see Reddington having to remind Keen to do this- she should already be doing that!

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 1:55 PM

I don't watch a lot of television but it seems that I know James Spader from somewhere.  Was he ever an annoying comedian?

Although he's been in a lot of things, to me James Spader will always be Steff from Pretty in Pink! (AKA, the rich jerk who tried to break up Andrew McCarthy and Molly Ringwald because she wasn't rich--and therefore not "good"--enough, but secretly had a crush on her and wanted to knock her down a peg because she wouldn't give him the time of day.) He's pretty much been typecast as an arrogant bad boy since that time--and he does it so well. Can't say I've ever seen him in a comedy, other than as Robert California in The Office. Yet, even then, he was his typical arrogant bad boy(ish--emphasis more on arrogant than bad) character. But, yes, he was very annoying in that role, so that might be what you're thinking of.

Edited by JenE4, Sep 25, 2013 @ 4:25 PM.

Julsie

Julsie

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

JenE4, you intrigued me so I went to IMDB to see from where I know James Spader.  It's from an episode of Seinfeld!  He was the guy in AA who is on the "making amends" step but won't apologize to George.

I'm very glad James Spader is not David Spade.

goodlucinda

goodlucinda

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 2:50 PM

it contains a bunch of passports and oh... $50

Hee hee!

The scar and the emblem on the box were supposed to match?  I don't see it.

I had a good time.  It wasn't brilliant, but it will have to get a lot stupider for me to give up (though that's certainly been known to happen).