The Blacklist

• Please log in to reply

1825 replies to this topic

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

A most-wanted criminal, known as the Concierge of Crime for the assistance he provides other most-wanteds, surrenders to the FBI to help catch a dead terrorist and others on a “blacklist” of criminals he was once so hospitable to. At his demand, a young profiler becomes his partner.

Looks interesting.  Will you be watching?

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

You mean this isn't about America's 100 most influential African-Americans? I kid, I kid. This is one of the four pilots on my "will watch" list.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

There is just something very comic book super villain trying to be Hannibal Lecter about the clips of James Spader and his super max cell from the promos.  

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:24 AM

There is just something very comic book super villain trying to be Hannibal Lecter about the clips of James Spader and his super max cell from the promos.

I agree, but I'm hoping that the show finds its center and moves into something a bit less cartoon-y.  I've got to remember that after I watch a show for a couple of seasons (or longer), it's always a surprise to see how far the characters and the general tone of a show has advanced from the pilot.

Edited by Zahdii, Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:24 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 2:50 AM

Since it doesn't look like I have anything else to watch during the time-slot, I"ll probably give it a go.  My main issue right now from the trailers is that James Spader looks like he's going to be a blast to watch in his role, but I'm already finding Megan Boone lacking.  I remember her from Law & Order: LA, and actually thought she was fine in it, but here, I think she will be out of her element opposite of Spader.  The way she delivers/yell that line "You son of a bitch!" to him in the trailer was cringe-inducing, IMO.

But, hey, Harry Lennix is also in it, which is always a good thing.  And, according to IMDB, Charles Baker (Skinny Pete from Breaking Bad!!!) and Annet Mahendru (Nina from The Americans) will be in the pilot, although it might only be one episode appearances.

LockandLoad

LockandLoad

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 5:02 AM

This is the show I'm anticipating the most this season solely because of James Spader's participation. It will be great seeing him once again in a dramatic role.

Thug, I agree with you that Megan could be a bit out of her league opposite Spader, but if she has talent he should be able to bring out the best in her given a little bit of time. In interviews she has said he is very helpful, and really tries to make her less anxious on the set.

It appears as though they are getting some fine guest performers for the episodes so that also bodes well; as does the inclusion of Harry Lennix and Diego Klattenhoff (Homeland). Here's hoping it does well in the ratings, and NBC does not screw it up.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 10:54 AM

If Boone doesn't turn out to be Spader's daughter, I will be utterly shocked.

Lolita Swann

Lolita Swann

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 7:30 PM

Spader as Alan Shore's my favorite Drama Actor winner, of the 21 or so winners that I've seen, and MJF is my favorite Comedy Actor winner, so hopefully with these immense talents NBC has provided platforms for them to live up to what they've done in the past.

Early word seems to have this as the new broadcast drama with the most potential.

LockandLoad

LockandLoad

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

Entertainment Weekly named it one of the six best new shows; and the Television Critics Association (TCA) named it Best New Drama based upon the pilots they saw.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

Long-time James Spader fan so I will check it out. I am sure he'll do something interesting with his performance.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

Looking forward to this very much so.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

If Boone doesn't turn out to be Spader's daughter, I will be utterly shocked.

That said, if he does turn out to be a relative (or have killed her relatives which caused her to go into profiling/law enforcement), I'm gonna cut a bitch. I did guess the twist in Do No Harm.

And I do hope that he'll be taking down some high-up, untouchable "good" guys along with the bad guys.

canucktvwatcher

canucktvwatcher

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 21, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

This show looks interesting, and I like the premise, but can James Spader PLEASE stop playing these pseudo-intellectual, "I'm the smartest guy in the room" type roles? It looks like this will be a character retread of Robert California from his abysmal run on THE OFFICE. Spader's great, but it seems like he's typecast in these types of roles now. I hope the show is well written, if nothing else.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2013 @ 4:53 PM

I saw a preview of this and I agree with everyone who said the lead actress is lacking. She's woefully miscast against Spader. I'll stick around for the first couple of episodes to see if the actress upped her game.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 7:35 PM

Just watched the pilot from an east coast feed and really liked it.  I'll definitely be back next week.  Nice having Diego Klattenhoff back on my tv.  Will be interesting to see how things play out with some of the characters.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

Just watched the pilot and thought it was really, really strong. I'm in for the fall season, at least. I guess my one nitpick is that I hope the characters become less stereotypes as we go along, but the writing seemed sharp otherwise, so I'm cautiously optimistic that the characters will gain some nuance as we go on.

Also, obviously ymmv, but I didn't think the lead actress was bad at all. I thought she ranged from decent to pretty good.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

I suppose having the husband be a deep cover agent is better than having him be a weekly victim whining about how unavailable his wife is, but it seems a lot to pack into a pilot.
Spader was Spader, I liked Boone the most when she jabbed the pen in Reddington's neck.

And it's glaringly obvious she's his daughter.

photo fox

photo fox

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Spader was excellent, of course, but the plot was pretty ridiculous.

I may give it one more chance next week if there's nothing else on, but overall it was a disappointment.

lia47

lia47

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:04 PM

I feel like everything I read about this show promised a "mysterious" connection between James Spader and the girl, but they were dropping the daughter anvils pretty hardcore. Makes me hope that it's not that simple, because if it is and it's supposed to be some sort of twist, the writers don't have much respect for their audience.

Also, who schedules an adoption interview in the middle of the afternoon on Day 1 of a new job? Especially one that's not known for its work-life balance? That distracted me for the first half of the episode.

It was OK, I guess. I didn't see much to distinguish this show from other government agency procedurals, but I'll give it another week or two to see if it finds its footing.

FireWeed

FireWeed

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

I didn't see a thread for this show so I started one.  Well I personally thought it sucked.  The acting was poor, especially by the lead actress, who looks far too young to be at the career level she supposedly has on the show.  She wears way too much glamour make-up, and even manages to look hot after a long day on shoot-outs, car wrecks, and deadly close encounters.  Compare to Homeland when Carrie genuinely looks like shit after a hard day.

Oh God and can we talk about the music?  Overly loud, too dramatic, and in every. single. scene.

kiki38

kiki38

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

Very torn:  Loved Spader, but 'Hey!  Blacklist - Silence of the Lambs called - they want their plot back!'

Might give it a coupla more views, but felt like a huge attempt to go 'Bad Guy you Root for', ala Breaking Bad/Sopranos/et. all, by stealing more than a few plot points from Silence of the Lambs.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

Spader was excellent, of course, but the plot was pretty ridiculous.

Agreed.  Cliche-ridden from start to finish.

Speaking of the husband, is he dead or is he not dead?  Clearly it appears that we'll still see Ryan Eggold in flashbacks, but they left his fate a little ambiguous, no?

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

I feel like everything I read about this show promised a "mysterious" connection between James Spader and the girl, but they were dropping the daughter anvils pretty hardcore. Makes me hope that it's not that simple, because if it is and it's supposed to be some sort of twist, the writers don't have much respect for their audience.

See, I have to confess that I really appreciated that the show pretty much spelled it out. I think it's more refreshing, and has a chance for a more interesting dynamic, for that to be on the table from the get-go.

Speaking of the husband, is he dead or is he not dead?  Clearly it appears that we'll still see Ryan Eggold in flashbacks, but they left his fate a little ambiguous, no?

I predict that he's in a coma and he'll wake up at the mid-season break or in the season finale.

Edited by stealinghome, Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:09 PM.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

That wasn't bad. The beginning was full of rather contrived plot points and it felt like Rush Hour met Silence of the Lambs, sans lambs....but it definitely picked up at the end. James Spader always makes a good creepy dude so enjoyed seeing him back on TV. I mean this isn't Breaking Bad but it was certainly better than a lot of plotdriven shows on TV right now.

I'm sticking with it.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

I dug it, I'll be back. I'm hoping Spader's character isn't the lead lady's father (hopefully I have the main characters' names down by next week), it's just TOO obvious.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

The high tech cell and complex was too over the top for me. I hope they focus more on the characters instead of the gimmicky camera shots. Helicopters picking up the profiler at her home? Good grief thats just silly.

FireWeed

FireWeed

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:32 PM

I agree.  This show was really, really silly.  It was trying too hard to be hip and intense.  

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

Loved it, mostly because Spader can do no wrong in my book but why the hell is Megan Boone wearing that God awful wig?? I seriously kept staring at it like WTF?!?

Bkwrm

Bkwrm

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

I finished watching the pilot. 

Now I'm watching "Secretary" with Spader. *Drool* 

kaygeeret

kaygeeret

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:44 PM

I guess I sort of agree with everything, but keep in mind the job of a pilot is to introduce a concept and a bunch of characters and keep people coming back.

I love procedurals and never saw any of the Hannibal movies, so the comparisons don't mean anything to me.

The writing was solid considering what they had to accomplish and I am hoping that things that seem obvious today will turn out to be a bit more complicated as time moves on.

I am not as down on the lead actress as many here, she was quite believable in the scene where she stabbed Spader in the neck, so her character is not intended to be the "cute little girl".  Yes, they certainly could dirty her up at the end of a day, but this problem is hardly unique to this show. 

I'm in for the entire season unless they completely run off the rails and I don't see signs that that could be happening