• Please log in to reply

400 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 22, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

Finale.

Mod Notes:

Please stay on topic. Some mention of past episodes/seasons is fine, of course, but in-depth discussions should go elsewhere. Don't make it harder on your fellow posters to follow and join in on the discussion about this episode.

Do not use all-caps to emphasize your statements. An exclamation point gets the vehemence across without breaking one of the oldest rules of good netiquette.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:39 AM

I've never in my life been so filled with anger and hate as the writers of Dexter apparently feel toward me. I think they did this on purpose to punish us or something. They really don't like us at all.

But don't you know? Dexter is a superhero! The creators said as much!

I was waiting for so long for Deb to be intubated, because after being shot like that, with my medical history and having a wife and parents who are both nurses, that seems like the first thing they would do to someone who had just been shot and had the bullet "bounce around a bit."

raziela212

raziela212

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:42 AM

One forget-me-now please. I can't believe I invested 106 hours of my life into this series, to be insulted by an ending that doesn't resolve shit. I am not usually someone who gets pissed of by final episodes, I had no problem with Lost and I loved Battlestar Galactica and the Sopranos ending, but these writers don't deserve their job description... But I guess Hollywood is just a gigantic circlejerk and they will just go on to find another series they can eventually ruin...

Even the goddamn spoiler ending that was obviously proven wrong, about Quinn becoming the new Dexter, would have been way better than this...

Edited by raziela212, Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:43 AM.

nycguy123

nycguy123

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

I could have lived with that ending if it was made clear that Dexter decided to fully embrace himself as a serial killer, Harry's code be damned.

But basically what we got was a non-ending.  I really don't know what the writers were trying to say here.. 

80sBaby

80sBaby

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

That was absolutely horrible. I haven't been more letdown by a show since The Sopranos. 

Disconnects hospital monitors..No alerts, bells, whistles, staff running to the room..Nothing.

Walks out of a hospital with a body wrapped in a sheet and waltzes off to his boat..Nothing.

Leaves his child with a serial killer that is being hunted by law enforcement.

The disgusting disposal of Deb's body, doesn't even weigh her down. (I have always hated Deb, but she didn't deserve that.)

Dexter being allowed access to Saxon, complete nonsense and he resigned... Why did he still have his badge? He killed Saxon and I can see his buddies and friends of Deb waving it off but how about the rest of Miami Metro??

Lumberjack... Really?

The worst ending ever. 

GlamSnooky

GlamSnooky

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:50 AM

But to leave him with Hannah McKay? Serial killer, wanted fugitive (they do get caught sometimes; Argentina isn't Mars), and somebody who also has a track record of destroying lives of people involved with her in any way? Worst choice ever. He would be so much better off with his half-brother and half-sister, and their grandparents; I'm sure if they thought Dexter was dead they would take Harrison in.

But then, I believe that building the second half of the last season around Hannah McKay pretty much guaranteed it would be awful. Not just because I dislike the character so intensely, although I do - she's Dexter without the driving need or the Code, which are arguably the things that made him interesting. But because she made everyone around her into idiots, as if it were her superpower. Dexter loved her and trusted her completely, which given their history - plus the facf that she reintroduced herself by drugging him and Deb, and leaving him on the side of the road - doesn't make much sense. Deb went from mistrusting and hating her to taking her in and hoping that she and Dex would have the very best ending together ever. And Miami Metro couldn't even notice her, even though she wandered around without any kind of disguise whatsoever. This is a wanted killer who escaped from police custody in Miami, and she didn't even wear a hat. And Elway - when he found on on that bus, he couldn't call it in to the police? He would have still gotten his reward.

Great post, Spectrum Bear. You said everything I was feeling so clearly. So much awful tonight. I was glad to delete Dexter from my DVR. I toughed it out just to be a completist, but I'm done now.

Surely Harrison's grandparents would be looking everywhere for him. And the name Argentina would come up, as would Hannah McKay. And the manhunt would continue, now with a child involved. Such a stupid ass decision by Dexter, to put his kid in that kind of danger.

The only good thing about the Pacific Northwest ending (other than the fact it's the PNW, yay) is that Dexter didn't appear on the street in Argentina and reunite with Bimbo and his kid.

I can't believe Dexter would deprive Deb of a hero's funeral, as a cop who died in the line of duty.

Yeah, I found it insulting that he'd dump her where he dumped all of his murderous victims.

That was awful.

Edited by GlamSnooky, Sep 23, 2013 @ 11:42 AM.
Remove quote from edited post

DoctorDogBoy

DoctorDogBoy

Couch Potato

I could have lived with that ending if it was made clear that Dexter decided to fully embrace himself as a serial killer, Harry's code be damned.

But basically what we got was a non-ending.  I really don't know what the writers were trying to say here..

It's a Tao ending where the Dark and the Light Side of the show are merged with no attempt to satisfy one or the other. Dexter is a serial killer who must be punished but the entire show is about him overcoming his serial killer nature to become a human being. So, they decide to make him a human being just in time to make his remaining 40+ years of life a complete misery.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

What. The. Fuckity. Fuck. Was. That?

I couldn't have said it better. That's what we get after 8 seasons? I'm a lumberjack & I'm OK? Wasn't surprised when Deb died, though I'm still trying to figure out why Dexter dumped her body at sea. Wasn't surprised when Dexter killed Saxton.

And the best part is that there probably will be an international manhunt for her now as soon as Elway wakes up in Northern Florida and returns back to Miami with his "What happened to me during the hurricane evacuation!" book report.  He knows she skipped the country with Dexter's kid, who presumably traveled under his own name.

YES. How does nobody think of that? Aren't people going to be looking for Harrison? Or do they just assume that if Dexter is dead, he must have had Harrison with him?

And of course, they didn't answer the most important question, Why the fuck did Masuka get a daugher this season??????

Edited by TWoP Pembleton, Sep 24, 2013 @ 4:03 PM.

LSU1974

LSU1974

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:52 AM

Yeah, the ending would have went from "total crap" to "OK...at least we have something to work with" if we would have seen him holding up a new slidebox.  He didn't even need to put a slide in.

Instead, we got "I'm cutting all ties with my family and becoming a lumberjacking hermit because..."

nycguy123

nycguy123

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:54 AM

YES. How does nobody think of that? Aren't people going to be looking for Harrison? Or do they just assume that if Dexter is dead, he must have had Harrison with him?

Well, life has gone on for everyone else in show, so developments like people looking for Harrison can and probably will happen, but we just won't see them. 

tardigrade

tardigrade

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:55 AM

I don't know why Dex took matters into his own hands re Deb.  This sounds heartless, but In her condition, there would have been no problem getting TPTB to agree with the removal of life support.  The drama could have been preserved without the idiocy.

Dying in the line of duty would be something Deb could accept, I'd think.  And she deserves a big military sendoff, or whatever the police equivalent is, from all her friends at Miami Metro, who would have a chance to mourn her.  Yes, there's the same drama in Dexter making the decision to take her off life support, and it would even show some signs that he really did learn something about being a real person - like the show's been shouting at us all season long - by letting Deb's friends share his grief.  And maybe she could have gotten a lovely memorial bench next to LaGuerta's.  Instead, he selfishly takes things into his own hands once again.

Dexter may be a lumberjack, but he's not OK in my book.

wasteanotherday

wasteanotherday

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:58 AM

I can't believe Dexter would deprive Deb of a hero's funeral, as a cop who died in the line of duty. Eh, who'm I kidding; that's the least of my "can't believes." But it's one that stands out.

THIS! I found this so upsetting tbh. Deb deserved so much more than to be dumped out at sea. She deserved a god damn hero's funeral! I couldn't believe what I was watching. I was sobbing pretty hard at that point and just saying WTF. WTF is he doing? Then I started to cry even harder when I thought about Dexter and what he was feeling, how he was so messed up that all he wanted to do was to take his sister with him. I'm not even sure if he knew at that point what he was going to do. It was messed up to put her to rest at sea but in order for me to accept that that happened, I have to reassure myself that Batista,Quinn, Matthews etc will hold memorial for Deb. Poor Deb. She deserved so much more. Seriously, Vogel and Harry fucked over both Dexter and Deb. Horrible.

J0nSnow

J0nSnow

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:06 AM

He forgot to mention the part where after Dexter fakes his own death, he becomes a lumberjack.

No. Seriously.

A lumberjack.

The final shot of the series is lumberjack Dexter looking into the camera.

Velvet Voice

Velvet Voice

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:07 AM

"But basically what we got was a non-ending.  I really don't know what the writers were trying"

Obviously they were leaving it open for a movie or mini series or... God only knows.  They were being greedy and cheated the fans out of a meaningful ending.  But... I'm not bitter... *sough*

Also:

"

THIS! I found this so upsetting tbh. Deb deserved so much more than to be dumped out at sea. She deserved a god damn hero's funeral! I couldn't believe what I was watching. I was sobbing pretty hard at that point and just saying WTF. WTF is he doing? Then I started to cry even harder when I thought about Dexter and what he was feeling, how he was so messed up that all he wanted to do was to take his sister with him. I'm not even sure if he knew at that point what he was going to do. It was messed up to put her to rest at sea but in order for me to accept that that happened, I have to reassure myself that Batista,Quinn, Matthews etc will hold memorial for Deb. Poor Deb. She deserved so much more. Seriously, Vogel and Harry fucked over both Dexter and Deb. Horrible.

"

I think Dexter taking her off the machines made sense in the arc of his emotional development.  To his mind her death was on him anyway... it was HIS job to make sure she didn't suffer and died with dignity.  That's also why he put her in the water like the rest of his victims. 

(If you can't tell I have no idea how to quote in here.  I almost never post.  Forgive my formatting errors.)

Edited by Velvet Voice, Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:10 AM.

J0nSnow

J0nSnow

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:10 AM

- Why would you fake your death? the writers didn't do this season justice nor the finale, dexter should of died or jailed.
I seriously can't stop laughing at the ending. They somehow managed to do something worse than the leaked script ending where Quinn kills Saxon and The Morgans live happily ever after.

There's 100 things to nitpick in that episode, but the one that really gets me is Dexter hijacking Debra's corpse in a crowded hospital parking lot and taking it to his conveniently docked boat. Bravo.

Last thing: we need a GIF of Quinn's grieving face during when the doctor said Debra was having complications. Think that sits right up there on the same level of actors mailing it in as Debra getting shot and Harrison falling off the treadmill.

JayKay

JayKay

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:11 AM

Maybe the lesson here is that Dexter is just a bad person, in addition and unrelated to being a serial killer? Perhaps eventually we all hit a point when we stop defining ourselves by our potential to become something more, and that point is lumberjack.

othkarwise

othkarwise

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:11 AM

I knew way back when Deb caught Dexter in the act, that she would be the one to die at the end of the series.  The whole hospital get-away was hard to watch as anything based in reality, so, I decided to just flow with the emotions. When I thought they were going to have Dexter take that boat right on into the hurrricane, I started crying. I thought, "Wow!" I really liked that idea.  Dexter and Deb should both be gone. Really gone.

The lumberjack tack on wiped all of that away. Tears dried up and I just thought..."Oh well.  That's over." 

No regrets, Dexter the Show.  I stayed a fan to the very end.

Edited by othkarwise, Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:59 AM.

DoctorDogBoy

DoctorDogBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:15 AM

It's really a miserable ending because I wanted to see Dexter live a life as a human. Not as a miserable empty shell of a man.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:17 AM

Welp, what a fucking shit ending.  Dexter gets away with murder.  And poor Deb dies from a goddamn stroke and gets sent to the fishes by Dex, literally.

I can't even be that mad because it just goes along with the fucking shit season. 

For a brief moment, I was really hoping Dex was going to sit down at the table, take out a notepad and start writing and it would have been revealed that Dex was really a terrible writer and that none of this actually happened. 

DoctorDogBoy

DoctorDogBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:22 AM

Did people really want to see Dexter punished or caught/executed? I'm curious when this feeling arose.

JayKay

JayKay

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:49 AM

Did people really want to see Dexter punished or caught/executed? I'm curious when this feeling arose.

I can't speak for everyone, and I'm still sorting out my feelings about this episode, but I didn't necessarily want to see him get caught so much as I expected him to be revealed at a larger scope. The tension that arose from the prospect of Dexter getting caught ran all throughout the show, so it's something I was conditioned to anticipate as a viewer. If I watched the show condemning his actions and expecting his comeuppance as validation for my viewership then I probably should have been watching something else for eight years. I'm not disappointed that he got away with it, I'm disappointed that it feels like the premise of the series was resolved with "emotional imprisonment." Which would be great (though dark), if the show was only about a post-traumatic man accidentally learning to feel and create relationships with other people. The serial killer premise was made superfluous by the cerebral ending. It's the perfect finale to a different show.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:54 AM

Well it's done.

Dexter retires to the exciting world of being a lumberjack somewhere nearly off-grid.

Everything else tied up in a neat little bow.  Saxon killed with a pen & the MPD was ok with it.  Deb dies.  Elway gets a horse tranquilizer.  Dexter gets a huge write up in the paper over his death so that even Hannah learns via the internet.  At least Harrison has a 50/50 chance of being a bilingual poisoner!

This was too depressing to even get worked up over.

bobbyjoe

bobbyjoe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:57 AM

No. Seriously.

A lumberjack.

The final shot of the series is lumberjack Dexter looking into the camera.

Harry should have suddenly appeared and started saying "Now, Dexter, according to the code, you can chop down deciduous trees, but not evergreens."

Tocks

Tocks

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:03 AM

I just laughed out loud at the idea that it was all in Lumberjack Dexter's imagination. Headcanon accepted. I can't deal with the reality of what I watched tonight.

All throughout the episode, I kept fooling myself into thinking the writers were about to pull some kind of "clever" cliche from their asses, but the anvils weren't falling for any other reason than to give me a headache by the end. First there was all that "I shot the wrong person" business in the recap, during which I thought, here we go they are going to rewind the season as if Deb actually did shoot Dexter and everything we saw these 12 episodes was a "what would have happened if she didn't" scenario. Then when Dexter was with Deb at the hospital and she talked about hiking and no mountains in Florida but mountains in South America, I thought oh maybe they will fake her death and she'll flee with them to Argentina.

I waited and waited for her to be alive underneath that sheet, on the boat, as she was falling into the water... but no. Debra Morgan got the most shitfest sendoff in history. Sure wish we could have heard her reacting to her own death, what a delightful commentary it woulda been!

I spent 8 seasons hoping Dexter would get away with everything and not die. Tonight, I am disappointed that he wasn't caught or killed. Now I think I need to load up my Six Feet Under DVDs and comfort myself with a finale that made you cry for all the right reasons.

I admit, I would have been okay if he'd survived and in Seattle he's taken up serial killing again.

With Deb as his new Dark Passenger.

:-)

DoctorDogBoy

Yes! I love this. I spoiled myself for Deb's death weeks ago, and at the time I remember thinking the only way I'd be okay with it is if she became the new "Harry". Dexter doesn't even need to be a serial killer again; Deb could just appear to spout obscene comments while he is chopping down trees or whatever the fuck he spends his free time doing now. I was really, really hoping she would walk out of shadows in that final scene. Ugh. I miss her already...

Also ditto to everything othkarwise wrote.

Edited by Tocks, Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:07 AM.

Mariposa2

Mariposa2

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:04 AM

For a brief moment, I was really hoping Dex was going to sit down at the table, take out a notepad and start writing and it would have been revealed that Dex was really a terrible writer and that none of this actually happened. 

That ending would have been far more interesting than the ending they gave us. 

paigow

paigow

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:04 AM

I also had Dark Knight Rises flashbacks of wtf - How did Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham City from the desert with no ID?  How does Dexter get back to shore and cross country with no money? I agree with the hypothesis that Dexter is a figment of the lumberjack's imagination.  Perhaps all the inconsistencies result from consuming hallucinogens of varying quality over the years to combat boredom. 

ValiNorse

ValiNorse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:09 AM

He kind of did get punished.  He lost/threw away everything and sent himself into exile/isolation.  

Artemis Rain

Artemis Rain

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:23 AM

Well... yes, that was terrible... but I could mostly see where they were going with it. I hated that Deb died, because she was pretty much my reason for watching, but once she did (even though ALL the details surrounding her death were nonsensical and awful), I understood Dexter's decision to head into the storm. There's something poetic and appealing about their fates being linked that way. So, yes, I was MOSTLY on board with it... until the coda.

So glad I'm not the only one who's first words as the credits rolled were, "I didn't want to be a serial killer anyway... I wanted to be... A LUMBERJACK!"

I think I almost could have been okay with it right up to that point. If the destruction he left in his quest to feed his dark passenger finally got to him and he destroyed himself to save the people he cared about from his darkness, then I could have lived with that, because it made a twisted sort of sense from his messed up point of view. But faking his death so he can go leaping from tree to tree down the mighty rivers of British Columbia? (or wherever?) I don't even know what the hell that was.

bobbyjoe

bobbyjoe

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:23 AM

First there was all that "I shot the wrong person" business in the recap, during which I thought, here we go they are going to rewind the season as if Deb actually did shoot Dexter and everything we saw these 12 episodes was a "what would have happened if she didn't" scenario.

Funny you should say that, because I spent all season thinking how much it would annoy me if they pulled a "Deb actually shot Dex, not LaGuerta" re-set, but by the end of tonight's episode I was praying they'd do it, because even that would be better than "Deb wants to go hiking, but, whoops, now she's a vegetable, pull the plug, Deb Overboard!" ending.

On another note, maybe Lumberjack Dex will find his way to Twin Peaks.  I hear they have a thing there for serial killers who like plastic.

spicegurrl

spicegurrl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:25 AM

What flipped the switch for Dexter in the penultimate episode in terms of no longer wanting to kill? Is it  simply because he loves Hannah?

BUCK: It’s really an accumulation of everything that’s he’s experienced over the years. He finally has a woman who understands him and they’re incredibly physically attracted to each other. And there’s Harrison.

http://insidetv.ew.c...eries-finale/2/

Is Buck for real?

"He finally has a woman who understands him and they’re incredibly physically attracted to each other."

What the fuckity fuck?

David Nevins said he's looking at all avenues for a Dexter spinoff. Is Hannah and Harrison's story something you've talked about for a spinoff?

Absolutely. I love Yvonne Strahovski, she's a terrific actor and has brought so much to the series. Who knows? We may see her again in the future.

http://www.hollywood...er-scott-632536

Please NOOOOOOOOO Hannah McKay spin-off!

cranberry

cranberry

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:52 AM

So the whole season was meta-foreshadowing Dexter delivering big piles of "logs"?

I love Deb. I cry easily. And yet all the show managed to make me do was roll my dry eyes. As Gob would say, COME on!