Todd: "Sorry For Your Loss." - The Polite Sociopath.

• Please log in to reply

82 replies to this topic

jnymph

jnymph

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

I never do the classic BrBa mixup of calling Walt, "Hank" or vice versa. 

But for the life of me, I keep wanting to call Todd,  "Jesse." 

Jesse Plemmons is killing this role.  Chilling, creepy yet somehow gosh darn likeable.

calliesu

calliesu

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Lol I do not find him likeable. He is very creepy. A very interesting character to watch, but I don't like him.

Edited by TWoP Lockley, Sep 20, 2013 @ 10:40 AM.
Boards on boards

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 11:44 AM

Between his baby face and the character he played on FNL, I do a double take any time he does something sociopathic. I also think Plemons is doing an awesome job with the role. When he was first introduced, I kept thinking of him as Landry in New Mexico, but now he's strictly Todd to be. The actor has totally sold it.

chatty123

chatty123

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

I was hoping someone would make a Todd thread. Would have myself but I'm too new to make threads at current (I think still).

Anyway on point, Todd is a very intriguing character as are his uncle and the lieutenant fellow. Its a shame its ending as I wouldn't mind seeing these guys explored more.

I think they purposely played Todd in Walt's second adoptive son role as he fits the role perfectly. Todd is very willing to learn student, he does what needs to be done, he doesn't go against Walt's wishes and respects the hell out of him. He is pretty much the mirror opposite of Jesse who is an unwilling student, constant cock up, always questions Walt's decision's and doesn't respect him at all (now but always less than Todd does).

Todd is like the second son, the first is a screw up yet Walt loves him more and Todd is jealous as hell. He has a very underlaying brotherly hatred of Jesse (calling his some skinny nobody when telling the story, looking disappointed when Walt refers to him as family and of course 'we have history together) but holding him as a captive meth slave is gonna be like his dream come nightmare imo as he he can beat the hell out of him and make him look physically weaker but at the same time Jesse's ability to cook better meth is gonna infuriate the hell out of him.

Obviously his cold, callous psychopathic demeanor is great as well, out of all the devilish characters in BB I think Todd may be the most chillingly scary one out of the lot.

CaterpillarDays

CaterpillarDays

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

out of all the devilish characters in BB I think Todd may be the most chillingly scary one out of the lot.

As someone with arachnophobia, I give that credit to the tarantula.

All joking aside though, I've grown to at least appreciate Todd's role on the show. At first I just hated every second he was on screen.  I still hate him and would love to see Jesse strangle him with the dog lead, but like the others he's been given depth and nuance.  It doesn't take away from what a creepy sociopath he is, but it makes him more interesting to watch.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

Oh how I loathe Todd.  He's just as big a monster as Walt and Gus put together.  The only difference is that Gus planned his moves so carefully that you couldn't help but respect him while fearing him.  Todd, on the other hand, is more impulsive but cold-blodded nonetheless.  I shudder to think what kind of horrible things he did before he met up with Walter.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

Todd is such a hideously creepy character that I want him to die a violent, painful death, and then be fed to tarantulas. I think his bland demeanor is a great cover for the sociopath that lurks underneath.

My 13-year-old son watched most of the series before I did, and on the first episode in which Todd appears, my son said, "I can't stand him! He is evil." I couldn't figure out how this sorta dull-seeming guy could possibly be evil, but I soon found out. I guess a bland exterior is the best cover for an evil heart, a lot like Gus and Walt's tactic of hiding in plain sight.

I think the sibling dynamic between Jesse and Todd that chatty123 mentioned is interesting and something I hadn't considered. But I can definitely see it. That, and Jesse's punching him over Drew Sharp, are probably why he took such glee in torturing Jesse.

I guess there's also a little funhouse-mirroring of the Todd and Uncle Jack relationship with Flynn and Hank. They both admire their uncles, and their uncles dote on them, but what opposite role models Jack and Hank are!

pod25

pod25

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:24 PM

Seeing the picture of Brock and Andrea in the meth dungeon was such one of the most chilling, disturbing moments on the show. The whole is like a grotesque parody of the 9-5 job Jesse always rebelled against, and the picture of Jesse's loved ones hanging as an implied threat rather than a reminder of home completes the horrifying image.

I did wonder for a moment, though, whether Todd might have stuck it up as a very feeble attempt to make Jesse feel a little better about his predicament. It's obviously very unlikely, given his clear dislike and jealousy towards Jesse, but it does seem like the kind of incredibly creepy, bizarre, but thoughtful thing he would do.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

To give the psycho his due, he does have some legitimate reason to hate Jesse other than just the punch in the face.  When the Walt/Mike/Jesse triumvirate were discussing Todd's fate after the Drew Sharp shooting, it wasn't really a discussion over whether to keep Todd or fire him, but a discussion over whether Todd was going to stay in the business, or whether Todd was going to join Drew Sharp in one of those barrels.

With his connections, an angry Todd out there wouldn't be a do-able thing.  It was that or a trip to Belize.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

It was that or a trip to Belize.

Too bad they couldn't see that Belize was the best place for him. Keeping him alive was one of their stupider decisions.

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

Thanks for starting this thread.  Its hard to put words together about Todd, a real baby face sicko.  What a great character for this show.

CaterpillarDays

CaterpillarDays

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Too bad they couldn't see that Belize was the best place for him. Keeping him alive was one of their stupider decisions.

Agree.  When Mike vetted him and his nazi relatives and decided they weren't an issue, he failed to take into account Walt's habit of conflicting with everyone he does business with.

Screenster

Screenster

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

I did wonder for a moment, though, whether Todd might have stuck it up as a very feeble attempt to make Jesse feel a little better about his predicament. It's obviously very unlikely, given his clear dislike and jealousy towards Jesse, but it does seem like the kind of incredibly creepy, bizarre, but thoughtful thing he would do.

I wondered about that too, actually. On its face, it's absolutely a threat to Jesse to keep him in line. But given Todd's twisted pathology, it may also be an attempt to, sort of, make Jesse feel at home. An attempt to connect, like he made with his "Sorry for your loss" line to Walt. The way it was tacked up, the way someone may tack up a family picture in a workspace. As a threat, he could have just shown Jesse the picture in hand. By tacking it up, the threat is there, but it also adds some sort of weird atmosphere, in line with his cheerful, non-chalant "let's cook". Like he wants to be friends with the guy he just beat mercilessly, threw in a hole and chained to the ceiling. Thanksgiving at Todd's house must be awesome. 

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 1:21 PM

Did I miss something? Did they show Todd actually betting and torturing Jesse? I remember thinking it was Uncle Jack and crew and then Todd pulled him out of there to get the cook going. Not that Todd was rescuing him or felt at all bad bout the beating Jesse took...but I don't remember actually seeing Todd beat on Jesse.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

I think it's implied that they gave Jesse to Todd to do whatever he wanted. And Todd had already said he thought Jesse might have some info they could use, and "we have a history."

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

We see Jesse beaten to a pulp.  Presumably Todd did that, and I would imagine he did it over some period of time.  Maybe hours.  Maybe days.  I'd guess hours because otherwise, that SD card is soon going to make it into the hands of the DEA.

I'd guess he didn't do anything likely to cause permanent damage, since he apparently still wants him functional enough to cook.  I'd guess Todd can't get the cook right, because otherwise, Jesse would be disposed of pretty soon.  Todd is no Gale Boetticher.  He's not as dumb as he looks on first glance, but he's just not a chemist.

Screenster

Screenster

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

It is speculative, admittedly. The last we hear of the whole grabbing Jesse plan, in the desert, Todd intervenes right before he is murdered and implies beating him to get info out of him saying that he can be the one to do it. (He also says he'll kill him after, but obviously plans changed on that score thus far.) And then later we see the results. There is no one else around and Jesse seemed terrified of him, so the assumption was that Todd was the one (or at least one of the ones) that beat him.

To add to the creepy Todd vibe, the way he was holding Jesse up and rather gently leading him into the lab reminded me very much of how he very solicitously led a squeamish Lydia around the massacre she ordered but couldn't bear to look at. In Lydia's case it was necessary since she had her eyes closed, in Jesse's it's because he was brutalized and unsteady. Todd is nothing if not thoughtful. 

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

Jesse Plemmons is killing this role.  Chilling, creepy yet somehow gosh darn likeable.

I hate to admit it, but I kinda see the point here (just call me Mr. White).  Although, I think he is going to devolve into an even baser individual than we have seen and I don't expect the oddly interesting factor to remain long.

...Kudos to whoever named this thread.

Edited by Jextella, Sep 19, 2013 @ 5:34 PM.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

Ever since he killed Drew Sharpe, I've wanted him to die a grisly death.  I really hope there is some way that Jesse can fuck Todd up in the meth lab, since he's not as good a chemist as Jesse.  Maybe have him inhale something that he doesn't know is lethal.   

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

Please, please, please, let Jesse kill Todd.  He's horrible!  He's Todd Bundy!  How can a character like this survive this series?

I so want to see Jesse kill this absolutely evil monster.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 5:30 PM

He's Todd Bundy!

Ha! I've thought of Ted Bundy too while watching Todd.

VG has brought so much of his Catholic roots to the themes of this show, I just have to think that evil -- Todd and Walter -- won't triumph. Somebody has to bring them down. Might as well be Jesse, the character most in need of, and most capable of redemption.

Tara7Roses

Tara7Roses

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

When I FIRST saw the episode and we saw the picture Todd put up of Brock and Andrea, I totally was like, "oh, how nice of Todd to put a pic of them up there for Jesse."

And then my brain clicked and I was like oh wait, that's not nice at all.  If Jesse flees, Goodbye Brock and Andrea. Well Played, Todd. Well Played. Asshole.

Pretty sure it's up there as a threat but if we found out otherwise, that'd be a nice twist!

Edited by Tara7Roses, Sep 19, 2013 @ 6:29 PM.

dingojoe

dingojoe

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 9:33 PM

http://www.rollingst...edator-20130919

Jesse Plemmons does an interview with Rolling Stone.  He seems to shoot down the idea that Todd kills Walt at the end

Yeah. It makes sense. Keep guessing. It's not what you expect. The final episodes are just so good, and right when you think you've got a step on it, you're thrown another curve ball. I would be really, really impressed if someone figures it out.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 11:56 PM

I loved that interview - especially the part about modeling Todd after the little boy in the ATM scene. That made so much sense.

Edited by Jextella, Sep 22, 2013 @ 2:09 PM.

jailnurse93

jailnurse93

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 8:28 AM

Todd is such an interesting charactar. He's creepy as a can be, yet  I do appreciate his devotion to Mr White.  While the Arrayan gang was digging up the money and cheering and gloating; Todd stayed by Mr. White's side.  He does not even seem to care about money.  He's just the strangest person.  He's devoted to Mr. White, fixated on Lydia, super mannerly, yet will kill without a second thought.   I wonder how much of this is nature vs nuture.  He is the most fascinating charactar this season IMO. 

jnymph

jnymph

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

He is the most fascinating charactar this season IMO.

Yeah, I agree.  I misspoke in my original post saying he was likeable. That's not the right word, I meant interesting/complex in a train wreck sort of way.... you can't tear your eyes away.

I know there's no time to get into the characters background, but wouldn't that be a story ?  Eeek !

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

Kudos to Plemons who gave Todd a backstory that he uses to play off of in his scenes.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 12:25 PM

Like most actors on this show with even small roles, Plemons brought an A-game to this.  This could have been a really lackluster role, but instead, it's one of the more fascinating.  He has managed to do a lot with very little screen time.

VG shares this trait with Quentin Tarantino.  They both seem to be able to inspire actors to do their absolute best.  Other examples in this show would include Jim Beavers (Ellsworth from "Deadwood") as the gun dealer and Larry Hankin as the surprisingly legally astute "Joe" the junkyard guy.  Of course, by comparison, Todd is now definitely now one of the major characters of the last part of the show.  

This also reminds me that in VG's first work with Bryan Cranston on the X-Files, Cranston played a white supremacist.

chatty123

chatty123

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 6:24 PM

From reading what Plemon's says in interviews Todd is like the bastard son of Breaking Bad. Comparing him to the kid in the ATM episode was pretty great, his life before he appeared on screen is a mystery but its likely pretty bad, to the point where he is just a cold and callous individual, he's repressed his feelings so much he doesn't know how to use them anymore.

In some sort of sick way, I think he sees the characters all as a surrogate family. Walt is obviously the father figure and from him he takes on Jesse as his brother, Lydia as the mother figure (with an Oedipus complex) and Uncle Jack and the nazi gang are who he grew up with.

In a strange way I see him wanting to impress Walt, Jesse and Lydia as they probably represent a more normal life than the one he has with the nazi's.

I think his character isn't going to be explained though, if anything it'll probably get more complex.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 7:59 PM

I think Todd is working his way to being the "brains" of the prison gang.  He usually defers to the leader, his Uncle Jack, but when he does speak up, they usually listen to his ideas.  I think they're actually afraid of him themselves to some extent.