The Originals

• Please log in to reply

1172 replies to this topic

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

I see nobody has started a thread for this. lol

I cant wait for it to start, I really an curious how they are going to do the real pilot episode of the show. Rebekah is still yet to join her brothers. I actually hope the opening teaser is actually a flashback to the original family, which will give people who didn't see Vampire diaries, a chance to know who the characters are.

The Originals - Daniel Gillies Interview

But I think that the show is darker, more adult. I think that there's going to be a lot more enchantment and magic to it, because of the New Orleans setting that we have to fulfil. And I think that we're going to see a lot more warfare. Kind of strategic... it's going to be a battle to reclaim this kingdom. A borderline mafia type battle with Elijah and Klaus usurping their former kingdom.

http://www.tvrage.co...d-the-originals

I like the sounds of it being more darker and adult, much like how Angel was from Buffy. I am curious how they are going to play with the idea of the originals being unkillable, I hope they put an end to the constant daggering of them, theres no way they will have Rebekah or Elijah daggered for two or three episodes in a row, since they are the stars.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 11:43 PM

I'd probably watch it, if not for Klaus. That character is a joke.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 8:10 PM

I thought the backdoor pilot was better than I expected.  I'm not keen on Klaus much, and I hate that werewolf girl (Hayley?), but I still have some love left for Elijah and Rebekah, so I'll give it a try. 

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 2:31 PM

I'm going to watch it's the lead in for Supernatural and I love me some Elijah (total BAMF!) but it's on opposite SHIELD...one of those has to get the DVR treatment and I'm thinking it'll be The Originals.

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

The pilot was alright but everything Elijah did in it was gold so I will be watching because of him. The witch Sophie was interesting also.

I wont have to deal with Damon and his weird eye twitch every week anymore.

If two characters were to crossover I hope its Stefan and Caroline. I have no use for the rest of them.

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

I became really disenchanted with TVD this past season so I am actually looking forward to this. I am anxious to see Klaus and Elijah away from Mystic Falls and its citizens. I am, unrealistically I know, hoping for no crossovers at all. Let them become two separate shows independent of each other.

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

Joseph Morgan said crossovers would happen but he could have had the wrong information but I think he was right.

I am not even watching TVD anymore the triangle sucked the life out of me.

BroodingVamp

BroodingVamp

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

Watching for the fine-ness that is Elijah.  CANNOT STAND KLAUS.  They really shot themselves in the foot by making them the most powerful family.  Who will be the Big Bads?

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

One of the big bads is suppose to be Marcel and his crew. I think Klaus will be in a power struggle with him.  The witches might be a threat also.

leopard9

leopard9

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

I can't imagine Marcel being morally worse than Klaus.  This is the guy that kills people because they don't want to be sacrificed or made eternal slaves.  After seeing the pilot, I prefer to Marcel to Klaus because while they're both murderers, Marcel doesn't come across as being completely psychopathic.  Also, how are the writers going to work around the major power imbalance between the Original family and Marcel's people?  They can't dagger the Originals and none of them can be killed without wiping a third of the vampire species, let alone the fact that in a physical confrontation, the Originals will always win.  

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 10:40 PM

The Premiere date is October 15th.

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 8:45 PM

is it true the pilot is a retelling of the backdoor pilot. I hope not, it should be a new episode, otherwise theres two episodes the same on both shows. Im confused by what has been said in the media.

BroodingVamp

BroodingVamp

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 11:57 PM

Yes, it's a retelling of the pilot from Elijah's POV.  This show should of been centered around him with a few guest appearances by Klaus.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 2:36 AM

i wish the whole show was from Elijah's POV. I don't hate Klaus, but I'm no fan either. Elijah on the other hand, he's the entire reason I'm watching this.

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 2:51 AM

Yes, it's a retelling of the pilot from Elijah's POV.  This show should of been centered around him with a few guest appearances by Klaus.

well that sucks, i was hoping for a new pilot not seeing what we have already seen, seems kinda lazy, oh well.

If they did a retelling then oridinary people flashbacks would of been great used again with new scenes.

i agree elijah being major focus. I wonder if rebekah is still present if they cut out mystic falls scenes.

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

I have never understood the lack of Elijah on TVD after S2. I think he should have been the one they kept and made a major player instead of Klaus. Daniel mentioned a lot of stuff at the Comic Con this weekend so that's a good sign.

Klaus is still the star but at least we will see Elijah in more then 5 episodes.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:28 PM

Klaus is a joke. Hayley is a joke. At least there's still hope for Elijah and Rebekah. Maybe they can write off Klaus and have him attend an art academy where he can brush up on the art of drawing ponies. 

That said, at least Klaus ostensibly has a strong link to the premise of the show. He is one of the Originals, after all. But Hayley? What the hell is she doing there? Oh right...that hybrid spawn. Ew. I wish the CW would stop trying to make Phoebe Tonkin happen. I actually liked the girl when she was on Australian tv, but somehow she's infinitely more annoying on this side of the pond. I blame the accent. 

mongrel

mongrel

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 2:58 PM

Glad to see that this has its own thread. Looking forward to this new show a whole lot more than season 5 of TVD. Not thrilled about the retelling of the pilot. Elijah is fabulous and all but I'd really like to move this story along. There are a whole boatload of new characters that need to get some attention.

But Hayley? What the hell is she doing there? Oh right...that hybrid spawn.

I have no problem with Hayley as a concept; a fierce werewolf who's compatible with Klaus is a nice idea. And they introduced the possibility that she was born in New Orleans/ had family from the city, they just didn't actually go any further with it. In fact the writers and directors haven't bothered to devote time to her character at all. I presume that's because they wanted to save her story for this show but if that's the case then they need to cut to the chase when October rolls around.

IgnaMom

IgnaMom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

I was never a Vampire Diaries watcher. However I thought I'd let ya'll know that I just came across the pilot episode for The Originals on Hulu. Maybe I'll check this series out. Hopefully I don't have to know too much about Vampire Diaries to follow this series.  

Loveee

Loveee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

We are getting a time small time job. The second episode takes place a month after the 1st one.

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:57 PM

We are getting a time small time job. The second episode takes place a month after the 1st one.

Confused, since VD season 5 will most likely open up when College starts for the characters, so its September there now. And if the Originals pilot is a remake of the vd ep, then its what July there. So both shows are not yet in the same timeframe now, something I loved about Buffy and Angel.

So Rebekah

Spoiler
lol this timeline is so confusing, everything in the show so far makes no sense that everything happens one day after, if this was real life everyone would be checking into a mental hospital, and Jeremy aswell given how many times hes died and lost family.

leopard9

leopard9

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 11:58 PM

An aspect I'm looking forward to The Originals exploring further is how a vampire society works.  Looking back at The Vampire Diaries, outside of the tomb vampires, I can't remember a time where I've seen a large amount of vampires choosing to hang around each other.  They seem to live in small groups.  Since all vampires are murderers and seem to display varying degrees of sociopathy, I wonder what it's like to live in a society with creatures like that.  Is there some advantage to living with more vampires than fewer or is it just for companionship?  

Tippi Blevins

Tippi Blevins

Network Executive

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

I'll be covering this for TWoP (with weecaps) and I'm totally looking forward to it.

glasshearts

glasshearts

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 6:56 AM

Really excited for this. 😄

leopard9

leopard9

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 11:45 PM

A poster has been released and it looks stunning.  I especially like the fleur-de-lis and the supreme confidence, almost arrogance of the Originals.  http://theoriginalso...otional-poster/.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 4:20 PM

I'll give it a few episodes to see if it can recapture some of the magic (npi) from TVD season 1-1.5.

I don't like Klaus.  He's one of the most ineffectual, whiny, non-threatening emo villains in recent memory.  I can't stand Hayley, both the actress and the character.  Her face seems incapable of any other emotion besides "sneer", and don't get me started on the Impossible!Pregnancy cliche. 

I love Rebekkah when she's being self-confident and snarky.  The Becky + Robo!Elena teamup they did for a couple of episodes was fantastic.  I hope they continue with her character development along those lines instead of the "I just want to have a normal life!" whinging.

I like Elijah, but I think part of his appeal was his minimal screen-time;  the writers of TVD couldn't sabotage his character too much because he just wasn't around.  They made a good effort at it though with the "Elijah lurves Katherine" BS. 

I would like to see some cross-overs.  They'll need to deal with Elijah's and Klaus's reaction to the rehumanized Katherine.  And I'd like to see Matt visit Becky since they supposedly spent the summer together.  The Salvatore brothers, Silas, Caroline, and Elena can stay away.

Who will be the Big Bads?

If the writers were really clever, Marcel & crew will be a decoy.  The Originals will deal with them in a few episodes, freeing the witches of New Orleans from Marcel's tyranny, only to discover the real enemy:  the witches themselves.  I've always thought witches were a malevolent force in this universe, so they might as well go for it.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

Family is power. The Original Vampire family swore it to each other a thousand years ago. They pledged to remain together, always and forever. Now, centuries have passed and the bonds of family are broken. Time, tragedy and hunger for power have torn the Original Family apart. When Klaus Mikaelson, the original vampire-werewolf hybrid, receives a mysterious tip that a plot is brewing against him in the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans, he returns to the city his family helped build. Klaus' questions lead him to a reunion with his diabolical former protégé, Marcel, a charismatic vampire who has total control over the human and supernatural inhabitants of New Orleans. Determined to help his brother find redemption, Elijah follows Klaus and soon learns that the werewolf Hayley has also come to the French Quarter searching for clues to her family history, and has fallen into the hands of a powerful witch named Sophie. Tensions between the town's supernatural factions are nearing a breaking point as Marcel commands his devoted followers and rules with absolute power. For Klaus, the thought of answering to his powerful protégé is unthinkable, and he vows to reclaim what was once his - the power, the city and his family. While they wait to see if their sister Rebekah will leave Mystic Falls and join them, Klaus and Elijah form an uneasy alliance with the witches to ensure that New Orleans will be ruled by THE ORIGINALS once again.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 8:45 AM

mac123x:

I've always thought witches were a malevolent force in this universe, so they might as well go for it.

I feel the same actually, it is so very much not helped by Sheila Bennett and her "those are vampire problems that don't concern us witches. I mean we witches are only responsible for creating them both times so why should we have any responsibility!" (That and Quessya creating a limbo for dead supernaturals  just to get back at her boyfriend! i mean I am glad they softened it a bit in the season finale to be  a proper limbo you can pass on from instead of a straight out prison for the dead supes but still a total dick move)

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

That and Quessya creating a limbo for dead supernaturals  just to get back at her boyfriend!

She's this universe's Taylor Swift.

i mean I am glad they softened it a bit in the season finale to be  a proper limbo you can pass on from instead of a straight out prison for the dead supes but still a total dick move

They did?  I didn't get that at all, and it would defeat the point;  she created that limbo to prevent Silas from ever getting to the afterlife with his girlfriend;  it wouldn't be an effective prison for him if there was a way out.

Meant to mention this in my earlier post:  I don't care for Marcel either.  He's too slick, too smarmy.  One of the reasons I'm leery of this show is that I don't like the main character or the main villain.  I'm already watching a show whose main characters are insufferable (cough Elena Damon Stefan), so I don't know that I want to add to my burden.

mongrel

mongrel

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 10:03 AM

If the writers were really clever, Marcel & crew will be a decoy.  The Originals will deal with them in a few episodes, freeing the witches of New Orleans from Marcel's tyranny, only to discover the real enemy:  the witches themselves.  I've always thought witches were a malevolent force in this universe, so they might as well go for it.

I absolutely see them going this route. The witches really are at best a bunch of hypocrites. They go on at length about protecting the balance of nature and then flat out interfere with it. The magical baby was nature's creation and yet here they are threatening to terminate it if they don't get their own way. I won't be surprised if they try and kill Hayley and the kid even after Klaus helps them.

I would also like to see a third party introduced. I imagine the exiled werewolves feel they have a claim to the city too. Thus far they haven't been the most powerful of supernatural species but 'The Originals' is free to expand on the mythology introduced in the TVD. I'm hopeful they'll make them a more interesting/dangerous player in the battle for New Orleans.