Hostages

• Please log in to reply

540 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:18 PM

HOSTAGES, from executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer, is a high-octane suspense drama starring Emmy Award winner Toni Collette as a premiere surgeon thrust into a chilling political conspiracy when her family is taken hostage by rogue FBI Agent Duncan Carlisle (Dylan McDermott). Dr. Ellen Sanders (Collette) and her family are held captive in their home by Carlisle, a desperate man doing the wrong thing for the right reasons, who orders her to assassinate the President (James Naughton) when she operates on him. His highly skilled accomplices include his brother-in-law Kramer (Rhys Coiro), whose loyalty to Carlisle will be tested; quick-tempered and intimidating Archer (Billy Brown), an ex-military man with a razor-sharp tongue; and the only woman involved, Sandrine (Sandrine Holt), a mysterious last-minute replacement to the team. With her family's life in peril, Ellen faces an incomprehensible moral dilemma in order to save her overbearing husband Brian (Tate Donovan), her secretive daughter Morgan (Quinn Shephard) and her not-so-innocent son Jake (Mateus Ward). In this high-stakes standoff between Ellen and Carlisle, fraught with tremendous national and personal consequences, the choices between right and wrong become even more blurred.

S7W9C2

S7W9C2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

Really looking forward to this. I like that its 15 episodes so hopefully it keeps the pace moving. My one concern is how they would extend this past one season?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

Yeah, the fact they made this a series instead of a mini-series makes me not want to watch it.  I can't see it lasting beyond this season and frankly I think even15 episodes it too much.  That makes me thing it's going to be really drawn out and there will be multiple episodes where not much happens.  Six - eight episodes and I'd be in but as it is I'll pass.

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2013 @ 3:59 AM

This plot has been done to death, and I can't imagine how they're going to drag it out over 15 episodes without the story moving at a snails pace.  Maybe it'll be good and I'll wish I'd have watched it, but I suspect that I'll find some other program sounds more interesting.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2013 @ 4:20 AM

I've seen what the Secret Service does when it's just a presidential relative making an appearance - I cannot suspend my disbelief enough to accept that they wouldn't be all over this before it has a chance to get started.

Edited by Jamoche, Sep 22, 2013 @ 4:25 AM.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

The premise might be suitable for a two hour movie. Not a miniseries and certainly not a full series. It doesn't help that weeks ago I saw a Tvline scoop going "OMEG HOOKUPS?!", which what the fuck.

Yeah, this is gonna suck.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:49 PM

I'll give it a try. I haven't really watched Monday night tv since Heroes, so Sleepy Hollow and hopefully two other shows, including this one will ease the dull Mondays.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 7:20 PM

I'll watch here to see if I want to tune in. I like the preview scenes, but have been jerked around too many times by networks that drop thrillers because of ratings. ("The Nine", I'm looking at your network.). I'd watch for sure if it were ten episodes with an arc and an ending.

Migzo

Migzo

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 8:31 PM

Well, I've seen it (it aired at 7 p.m. from my east coast) and that wasn't really how I expected it to go. Now what?

How many people would kill one person to save someone else? Sure, you want to save your loved ones but, as she said, you have to live with what you did.

Throughout the episode, Toni Collette reminded me of someone, and I just realized who. She has that same bony angular intensity of Felicity Huffman.

88Keys

88Keys

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

If you saw the preview, then you saw the first episode.  They gave away EVERYTHING. 

I may watch again next week to see where it goes next, but I'm not sure how this idea can last over a season.  I agree with whoever said that the Secret Service would be all over this.  I mean, the main hostage taker guy called his father from the hostages home phone! 

With that said, they just showed the preivew for next week, and it looks like things pick up a bit. 

mariah23

mariah23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

Was it with CBS and teen pregnancy!!  God, twice in one night!!

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

Does the "twice" refer to "How I Met Your Mother"? Because I recorded that one. If it's just "Hostages", I'll read the spoiler!

mariah23

mariah23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

jjj, It's the new show "Mom"

Chancellor

Chancellor

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

I liked this well enough and it looks like the action will pick up pretty quickly.  I'm actually fascinated in learning just what they would do to make this show run for several seasons since the premise, as it stands, is very limiting.  There'd be lots of tweaking to the show I would imagine.  I'm in.

lovesduncan

lovesduncan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

This was disappointing. The opening sequence with Dylan McDermott as the all-knowing FBI guy was ridiculous. I need to understand - quickly - why he is doing what he is doing because that is crucial to buying into this show's premise.

Of course, every family member has secrets. Also not looking forward to more teenage angst.

I'll hang around for a few more episodes to see how this moves forward but I am skeptical.

Chancellor

Chancellor

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:31 PM

See, I'm actually liking that the family have all got things going on.  All of that makes up the subplot that accompanies the main premise.  Even Carlisle has personal family issues going on which I also like.  In any event, this show is fast-paced, and for me, fast-paced shows always draw me in.

Edited by Chancellor, Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:31 PM.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 10:34 PM

Thanks, Mariah23! Spoiler very helpful in nixing "Mom" for sure!

sleekandchic

sleekandchic

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 11:20 PM

I watched the first episode, and I liked it.

It's a little predictable, a little cliched, but, still, it held my interest.

I predict that the story will play out as a topsy-turvy one. The "bad guys" (Dylan and Co.) will be the heroes. The "good guys" (the prez, first lady and Co.) will be the evil warmongers/let's start WW3 antagonists. Made me think of The Dead Zone's Greg Stilson.

When Duncan Carlyle/Carlisle (such a dumb name) proclaimed "sometimes you have to do bad things for good reasons," [paraphrasing], the show laid its premise on the line, for us to see, IMO.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

I found ep1 to be an over-written bore.  Daughter is pregnant with older boy from wrong side of the track's baby!  Son is dealing pot!  Dad is losing accounts and having an affair! Rogue FBI Guy is the baddest badass that ever did live! But he loves his dying wife!! Typical CBS.

Dr Colette did what little saving was possible, and I'll probably keep watching just for her, but I sincerely hope the writers dial it down a notch or several.

Catronia

Catronia

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 12:46 AM

I really enjoyed the pilot, and am looking forward to seeing what happens next, especially since it's a short season and they've said they're wrapping this story up this season.  I'm happy to see Dylan again and I love Tate Donovan, even though I couldn't make it through his last series (Deception?  God, that was boring.)  The kids are surprisingly good, and lots of suspense plus soapy subplots works for me.  I like that they've withheld Dylan's (I take it from a post above that the character's name is Duncan?  Can't remember myself...) motive so far.  I think Toni Colette is horribly overrated, and this hasn't changed my mind, but the rest is good enough that I can endure her.

Edited by Catronia, Sep 24, 2013 @ 12:48 AM.

nycguy123

nycguy123

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 2:30 AM

The pilot was interesting enough, but boy did they throw in every cliche in the book?

This show exemplifies the difference between cable and network drama.  It's not fair to compare this to "Breaking Bad" but network drama is so spoon-fed and obvious with a dramatic score that signals the viewer as to what kind of emotion to have.  Guess I'm expecting too much from a Jerry Bruckheimer production.

Toni Collette rises above any bad material she's given, so without her I'd probably bail.  

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 7:04 AM

Hoo boy. I'm pretty sure my reaction at the end of the pilot wasn't what it was supposed to be. As Toni Colette's character smirked into the camera at having put one over on the ARMED GUNMEN HOLDING HER FAMILY HOSTAGE I  really wanted her to come home to a house full of dead famly members and all the gunmen gone. She thwarted their efforts but will have the rest of her life to regret that decision.

To quote a classic TV line, "She's got spunk. I hate spunk."

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 7:45 AM

Dylan McDermott AND Tate Donovan? Man, if they could find a way to squeeze in Breckin Myer and Dermot Mulroney, this would be the best show ever!

Is it wrong that the family member I was most worried about and didn't want dead was the dog?

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 7:57 AM

I found ep1 to be an over-written bore.  Daughter is pregnant with older boy from wrong side of the track's baby!  Son is dealing pot!  Dad is losing accounts and having an affair! Rogue FBI Guy is the baddest badass that ever did live! But he loves his dying wife!!

I'm glad to see they avoided all those predictable cliches.

Silje

Silje

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

I'm going to watch all 15 episodes no matter how stupid it gets, just so I can gawk at Dylan McDermott. That is one fine man!

But I laughed and laughed at the daughter in the bathroom with the pregnancy test when Ellen came running. Seriously, just throw it in the trash/under the sink etc! I don't think your mom was going to search through the room exactly. And then came my "Ew!" moment for the day, Duncan grabbed it! Like 'holding on for my dear life with my finger on the pee end"-grabbed. I hope you washed your hands, dude.  

Edited by Silje, Sep 24, 2013 @ 10:13 AM.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:03 AM

I tried to watch this show, but for some reason I can't stand Dylan McDermott.  I don't know what it is, but to me he has this look on his face like, "I know I'm hot and you should know it too."  I can't stand looking at his face without wishing someone smacks the shit out of him.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:21 AM

I liked it. Not sure if some of the things there are just blunders or they will be explained later.

I thought they would do the first season on flashbacks, explaining how the wife ended up in a hospital, why Duncan is doing what he is doing, how they decided that that doctor was the target. And here's my first nitpick, unless I lost some detail: Duncan says the picture is from two years ago, he tells the doc how they know everything about them. Have they been watching them for this long? How could they be sure that she was going to be the doctor to operate on the President that far in advance? And the White House guy? 

Another nitpick: high end neighborhood, a van is parked all day in front of a house, nobody notices

Another one: The guy installs cameras with the daughter and the dog inside the house and ..... He is supposed to leave soon, because the doctor arrived, but the daughter was in the house already and there is a camera in her bedroom, and, and, and. Blunders

One more: apparently they cover the security company, just in case. But when the doc comes in the house she does not move to the alarm. She did not know the daughter was in the house, shouldn't she have checked, at least glanced at it?

Will see how it goes

Good thing: Toni Collette 

HandsFullMama

HandsFullMama

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:33 AM

I'm waiting patiently for the drug dealer to show up looking for his money.

LostintheHouse

LostintheHouse

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:42 AM

Another one: The guy installs cameras with the daughter and the dog inside the house and ..... He is supposed to leave soon, because the doctor arrived, but the daughter was in the house already and there is a camera in her bedroom, and, and, and.

This was the only point that bothered me.  Installing cameras can't be a quiet task, right?  Daughter had her earpods in, but still:

Bang, bang, bang, electric screwdriver drilling.  Daughter:  "Wow, that's some really cool percussion I never noticed before!  Way cool!"

Otherwise, I found this hour taut and intense - for network tv.  I'm in!

Maxymama

Maxymama

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

alexvillage, the bad guys weren't watching the family for two years. The bad guys did research on the family when the wife was picked as the surgeon.

lovesduncan, It seemed like BadGuy Leader's daughter/father were being threatened by Presidential Advisor Man. That's BadGuy Leader's motivation, he doesn't personally care about killing the president, imo. I assume at this point, Presidential Advisor Man wants the president dead for political reasons.