Miss America 2014

• Please log in to reply

29 replies to this topic

PShau

PShau

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

The Miss America Pageant airs on ABC on Sunday night, September 15, 2013 live from Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ.

That's no typo, and this isn't an old thread....it's true.

The iconic broadcast goes back to it's longtime host city, Atlantic City from the same venue that hosted it from 1929 to 2005.

http://www.pressofat...1a4bcf887a.html

http://www.pressofat...b74b94c8a1.html

Having spent the last 8 years 2,500 miles away in Las Vegas, and downgraded to basic cable for most of that time, the show comes "home", not only physically but also on the calendar as well.

It's now back in it's familiar September time frame, having been held during mid-January since 2006.

Due to the calendar adjustment, Mallory Hagan, the reigning Miss America, will be giving up her title after only 8 months, the 2nd shortest reign ever -- between Vanessa Williams (resigned in July 1984 after 10 months) and Williams' replacement Suzette Charles (holding the crown for 7 weeks until the next pageant was held).

The only things that longtime viewers might find still different is -- Sunday instead of Saturday,  ABC rather than NBC  (they're committed to Donald Trump's Miss USA these days), and the "There She Is" serenade will not be heard, either.  The organization lost rights to it in last year, and it was noticed by viewers the last time, that only generic background music played during the crowning at the end.  Apparently, the songwriter's widow had demanded too much from them, and they walked from negotiations. 

Bert Parks must be spinning in his grave about that part.  (oh, he's also not coming back for sure, unless they can work up one of those holograms....there's a cool idea ;) )

Those things aside, the show has gone back to some of its roots, at least for the next 3 years, which is the term of the current agreement.  More likely than not, if it's extended a bit more, the show could see it's 100th anniversary in 2021 at it's home base, too.

This year, a few days out from the program, one contestant - Miss Kansas -- is making news for her choice not to conceal her body art (tattoo) during competition:

http://www.usatoday....attoos/2808757/

Edited by PShau, Sep 13, 2013 @ 2:32 PM.

7 Continents

7 Continents

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 2:11 PM

If it weren't for the publicity Miss Kansas has generated, I wouldn't even know Miss America was happening this weekend. This beauty pageant (or scholarship program for beautiful women) has lost its identity. It tries to be modern and traditional all at the same time. I'll watch it a bit (Breaking Bad has priority) just for old times sake.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 8:10 PM

Who in the world wrote the intros for these girls? It sounds more like something you would hear on a cheesy dating show.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

I'm so glad I tuned in.  The dancing during the introductions has given me my biggest laugh of the month.  Please, don't ever stop!

erinjsnark

erinjsnark

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 8:31 PM

I'm holding a sleeping baby and can't reach the remote, therefore I witnessed the opening gyrating and am now hooked. And now... selfie cam? Is this happening??

rphnick

rphnick

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

I may be lactose intolerant like one of the contestants declared during her intro, but I'm totally into this for the cheese! My Lordy, this shit is funnier than some of the current comedies on TV. Bring on the butt glue and hairspray :D 

Edited by rphnick, Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:07 PM.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

Well, here's my little 'pop up' little tidbit:

My kitty kat's ears seem to be in pain during these singing performances !

w_wellington

w_wellington

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:27 PM

I want to know more about how Miss Georgia's dog met the president.

jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

Talent has come and gone. At least most of them didn't embarrass themselves, which is more than I can say for last year. Anyone else remember last year's Miss Illinois' (?) jazz routine? There's still time for plenty of embarrassment though. We haven't even reached the final question yet.

Anyway, Miss Cali, Oklahoma, New York, Miss Minnesota, Miss Connecticut all showed a pretty high level of proficiency in their chosen talent. And it wouldn't be a pageant without the token baton twirler. That was cheesy and delicious. All of them helped make the talent portion of the pageant (*gasp*) semi-enjoyable. Again, [much] more than I can say for last year.

Kansas, though... umm (She was my pick to win, but now I'm on the Miss NY train). Texas... ummmm.

Jesus, Miss California handling the Syria question with relative ease. Good for her.

Edited by jonaswan2, Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:38 PM.

sib5

sib5

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

I know these young women know what they are getting into, but I was SO embarrassed for them as the camera slooooowly panned up their bikini-clad bodies. Ugh. So degrading.

Haven't watched Miss America in years, so I was surprised they still did talent competition. Yeah. Some was kind of cheesy, but I really liked New York's Bollywood dance. Something different and wow, she had a lot of energy.

jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

First Indian American Miss America, First time NY's won back to back. Congrats to the new Miss America, Nina Davuluri.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

There was an article in my paper today about Miss NY (she's considered to be from a Syracuse suburb) that said there was some sort of controversy about Nina calling outgoing MA Mallory fat.

Now Mallory is definitely not fat but her black dress could not have been more unflattering. It was amusing to hear in her commentary that she thanked her stylist.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

Thank you for that little tidbit. Too bad they didn't post that one stating she believes MA is fat. Of course, having two different sized feet or breasts isn't uncommon.

k2p2

k2p2

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

Shouldn't someone have talked to Miss Kansas about that song choice? Yikes. While my ears stopped bleeding, I switched my alliance to CT (briefly, until she was eliminated) and then NY.

I'm old school (also just old), and I like seeing Miss America live from Atlantic City, on network TV, in September. As it should be.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 11:25 PM

I think it's better from Atlantic City (tradition!) too. Maybe my sound was poor, but I thought a lot of the spmg choices didn't work to showcase the voices very well.

I like Chris Harrison well enough but if he gets a little more botox he'll be a ringer for Billy Bush.

I thought it was in extremely poor taste to ask anyone--but I think it was Miss NY who was Asian (Indian)--"Some Asian women (maybe it was "Asians in beauty pageants") have surgery on their eyes to look less Asian. What do you think of that?" Particularly as the Chinese-American woman who preceded her looked as if she might have a "lazy eye" problem.

I mean, what's next? "A lot of African American women flat iron their hair so it doesn't look so 'African'. Thoughts?" or "Some ethnicities known for having large noses make a habit of getting their daughters nose jobs before entering them in beauty pageant. Is this a good thing?"  Or "...implants"...or...on and on.

So rude and tacky.  But Miss New York seems like a good choice (although I will miss the plump Miss America--how refreshing!)

Edited by Kali12, Sep 16, 2013 @ 1:29 AM.

sib5

sib5

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:10 AM

I wish they would have introduced each former Miss America who was there.

colleen17

colleen17

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:27 AM

I am not sure how a Miley question and Syria question are on the same level. Miss California handled it well.
During the talent portion I liked the three dancers and the violinist the best and wasn't blown away by any of the singers except maybe the first girl (Oklahoma I think?).
The opening was silly(ABC thanks you for promoting Nashville Miss Tennessee) but Atlantic City looked lovely and it made me happy to see the pageant back .

Edited by colleen17, Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:31 AM.

Baby Fish Mouth

Baby Fish Mouth

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Shouldn't someone have talked to Miss Kansas about that song choice? Yikes. 

Right?  It sucks she couldn't do the talent she wanted to, but "Nessun Dorma?"  It's too bad, because I think she would have made the top five if she'd gone with something easier.

I was actually impressed by the talent competition.  Miss New York's Bollywood number was far and away the most fun to watch.

The state introductions at the beginning were SO. BAD.  Most of what they said about their home states wasn't even flattering.  Miss South Carolina: "We've got a lot of trailer trash!"  Congratulations!

How sad that a bunch of college-educated women are forced to use "butt glue" in order to keep their bikinis from riding up.  These pageants have to get rid of the stone-age swimsuit competitions and spend more time showing us their personalities and brains.  

ETA: I almost forgot, I was disappointed to hear Miss Minnesota saying wives should stand by their man even if he's cheating and sexting other women.  What she should have said is that every marriage is different and it's a personal decision.

Edited by Baby Fish Mouth, Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:50 AM.

wootan

wootan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:35 AM

The awful dancing during the intros was hysterical!!

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

Miss Florida made me laugh nonstop. Never mind the ligament damage or arthroscopic surgery or whatever the problem was. She stomps down the runway in a bedazzled leg brace! She wears flat shoes under her evening wear! She will not give up! The world deserves to see her inspirational baton twirling skillz! Also, is it really possible that any sane parents named their daughter "Myrrhanda"? I'm fairly certain she decided to change the spelling when she was around twelve or thirteen to something unique and special. Because she is clearly unique and special! Oh dear Lord, never change, pageant world, never change!

Edited by Ketzel, Sep 16, 2013 @ 12:36 PM.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

I figured this would happen

http://www.buzzfeed....-american-woman

I don't know which I find more stupid: the racism thrown at the new Miss America, or the fact that, because Miss Kansas is in the military and hunts, that she's a "real American" and more American than someone else. I say this with the utmost respect to our military, but I am sick of the "he/she's a real American because they're in the military" bs.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 3:30 PM

Miss South Carolina: "We've got a lot of trailer trash!"  Congratulations!

LOL. She actually said in South Carolina something like 21% of the homes are mobile. Like that's something you want to brag about. 

I'm glad they shortened the show to 2 hours and dropped the "social platform" part of it. But I don't like how they start with 15 semi-finalists then cut them to 12. Why not just announce the three that got cut rather than calling out the 12 that didn't and leaving three poor girls standing there? Moreover, go from 15 to 10. Geez. 

Even worse is how they cut from 12 to 10, making all 12 dress up for the talent competition then wait to hear if their names are called. Two poor girls left sitting there at the end. 

Then they cut from ten to five by making all ten line up and wait to see if they're going forward with a question. At least give them a commercial break to absorb making the final five before shoving them in front of a microphone and asking them some dumb question.

Kind of disappointed with the winner. Didn't care much for her Bollywood number, and it seemed like she was a pre-determined winner because they wanted to have their first Indian American Miss America. 

wootan

wootan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 3:46 PM

Wish Kansas could have shown her archery skills.  Hellava lot more interesting than all the awful singing.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 4:21 PM

LOL. She actually said in South Carolina something like 21% of the homes are mobile. Like that's something you want to brag about. 

I'm glad they shortened the show to 2 hours and dropped the "social platform" part of it. But I don't like how they start with 15 semi-finalists then cut them to 12. Why not just announce the three that got cut rather than calling out the 12 that didn't and leaving three poor girls standing there? Moreover, go from 15 to 10. Geez. 

Even worse is how they cut from 12 to 10, making all 12 dress up for the talent competition then wait to hear if their names are called. Two poor girls left sitting there at the end. 

Then they cut from ten to five by making all ten line up and wait to see if they're going forward with a question. At least give them a commercial break to absorb making the final five before shoving them in front of a microphone and asking them some dumb question.

Kind of disappointed with the winner. Didn't care much for her Bollywood number, and it seemed like she was a pre-determined winner because they wanted to have their first Indian American Miss America. 

I think they're still required to have a platform--that's the cause they're personally interested in promoting during their "year of service" (aka their "reign"), in addition to the causes they promote on behalf of the Miss America Organization--I saw platforms mentioned this year in "profile Tweets" about the individual participants, & the outgoing Miss America also mentioned her platform (I think it was Child Sexual Abuse Prevention/Awareness) in her "thank you" speech that played as she took her final walk before turning over the crown. I think they're probably just de-emphasizing the platform's importance in terms of the on-air competition.

Maybe they think the way they do the eliminations now--focusing on who's still in vs. who got cut--is a more "positive" way of doing it than the old way of singling out who was cut & making out like it's a negative on their part (& I think the Miss USA/Miss Teen USA/Miss Universe pageants may have started using the current Miss America form of eliminations as well).

Kind of like on entertainment awards shows where, instead of saying "The Winner Is..." (reinforcing the others in the category are losers) in presenting the award, now they try to say "The (name of the award) goes to..."; it still means the others in the category lost, but it kind of is a more positive way of putting things (shrugs).

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

I figured this would happen

http://www.buzzfeed....-american-woman

I don't know which I find more stupid: the racism thrown at the new Miss America, or the fact that, because Miss Kansas is in the military and hunts, that she's a "real American" and more American than someone else. I say this with the utmost respect to our military, but I am sick of the "he/she's a real American because they're in the military" bs.

I guess things haven't changed since Vanessa Williams was the first black Miss America. What a shame.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

Just throwing some trivia out there:

Was exactly 30 years to the day that Vanessa Williams also from the same  place (Syracruse NY)  was crowned in the same locale - looks like the moon, stars  and universe were ready for another wave of a darkness .

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:33 AM

I have no issue with the new Miss America, she's American, but I'm not gonna lie--every time I see a picture of her I'm thinking Miss India in the Miss Universe pageant.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

That's one big reason why it's good she won.

jenny1234

jenny1234

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

Disappointment (but not surprising in some respects) that some much racist idiocy was thrown Miss America's way. I guess some people are too dumb to realize that Indians (of decent from India) who are born in America are just as American as Irish-Americans, German-American, etc. I guess some people think only blonde hair/blue eyes = American. I doubt when a white woman wins people think they are looking at Miss Ireland.

Edited by jenny1234, Sep 22, 2013 @ 2:43 PM.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 3:43 PM

I have no issue with the new Miss America, she's American, but I'm not gonna lie--every time I see a picture of her I'm thinking Miss India in the Miss Universe pageant.

I'm confused.  If the winner were a white woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, would we think she's Miss Sweden in the Miss Universe pageant?  Maybe the problem is that too many people think Miss America = Blonde, blue eyed woman.  

Edited by EndoKE, Sep 28, 2013 @ 3:44 PM.