MasterChef Junior (US) or Petite Steak: The Smaller Bite

• Please log in to reply

265 replies to this topic

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 3:19 AM

...alternately known as "Junior MasterChef" (even on Fox.com and out of Gordon and Graham's mouths in interviews).

I'm expecting more cutesey, more fake-inspiring, but probably a bit less conflict than the parent show (of the slimy US version, I mean, not the international ones). 

Unless... the parents do the smack talk.  We clearly see they're on camera in the preview for the show, at least up in the balcony.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 7:13 AM

I do not hate the concept, but I have absolutely no belief that the people who produce the FOX cooking shows can properly adjust the tenor of the show for kids.

If you could promise me that the show would highlight all of the fun stuff that comes from watching kids learn and succeed, which frankly, should be pretty easy to do within the framework of MasterChef, then I'm sure I would enjoy this show.

But I have yet to see any indication that this production group is even capable of understanding that, let alone doing it.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 7:38 AM

But I have yet to see any indication that this production group is even capable of understanding that, let alone doing it.

Gasp! You mean the guy who employs his own kid to say "One Potato, Two Potato" on his production card doesn't know how to do a good kids show? Horror!!!

I wonder if Gordon will march out his own kiddies again on this one.

BusyOctober

BusyOctober

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

Oh, I hope the parents aren't allowed on camera.  I do not want to hear fame whore parents lavishing praise on their precious little snowflakes with  made-for-TV fake names. 

"No one can braise a short rib like my Khimbra"

"Eurasia has been baking artisan croissants since she was 18 months old"

"Bentley's lemonade stand just earned its first Michelin Star"

Count me out. 

Oscem

Oscem

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 10:57 AM

I should have trotted mon petit Oscem for this show - he's only 7, and damn if he doesn't make the world's best panna cotta. Gordon, Joe, and Graham would CRY at the first bite - that's how AMAZING AND STUNNING AND BEAUTIFUL it is.

Just kidding. He can't even reach the microwave and thinks Pirate Booty is the food of the gods (well, as far as snack foods go, I kind of agree with him there). 

I can't STAND Rachael and Guy's kid show (it's like Dance Moms. With food.), and although I'm amused by the little girl screaming "WHIP IT LIKE A MAN!" in the commercial, I'm terrified of seeing the actual show. I've seen bits and pieces of the Australian version and while I enjoyed it, it didn't really hook me. Maybe I'll watch this just to see if Joe's heart grows two sizes every episode. And explodes because it wasn't designed to be that big.

PurpleGlitter

PurpleGlitter

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 11:05 AM

I'm going to have to watch it because my kid wants to audition next time.  He is 9 and a decent cook.  He can roll out pasta and do a few other things within that skill level, but I am more concerned about how they treat kids.  He has Asperger's and is a wee bit too sensitive. 

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

I just think its a bad idea for kids in general to be on reality shows (and can point to myriad shows on TLC with adult kids now struggling because they aren't so adorable any more ) and on these competative shows in particular because there's no way things don't get too stressfull. And kids in the age frame this show is talking about - 8-13 - aren't really old enough to have good manners and good sportsmanship ingrained. In fact, little kids of that age often come off like mean little sociopaths and schizos. It's not their fault, its developemental, but kids that age don't say they're sorry, and they don't take criticism well, and they don't stick to tasks or interests real well. A kid who "loves cooking" one day is likely ready to move on to soccer or painting in a few weeks but mom and dad took him to tryouts so now he's stuck as mommy's trained chimp on camera for the duration of the contest.

Plus - I have concerns about the tone of this show after seeing the commercial of the little blonde girl screaming "WHIP IT LIKE A MAN!!!!" at what I assume is a teammate. Now imagine you're the "whipper" and if they lose, you're that little bitch boy who got his ass handed to him while some girl comments on how you failed at whipping it for the entire nation to see.

Mpress Elle

Mpress Elle

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

The Australian version of Junior MasterChef was delightful, so the potential is there.  But of course, Fox and Ramsey will screw it up.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2013 @ 11:08 PM

Trailer 1 Trailer 2 Contestants on judges

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

Ramsay sez (on the Contestants on judges thing):

"It looks like its been chewed by a Dogs' dinner"

How does Gordon come up with this shit?  A dog can chew sure, but I wasn't aware his DINNER could chew back.

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

So it's gonna be burgers, mac and cheese, pizza, milkshakes and stuff being cooked? 

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Gordon Ramsey: Breaking some kids hearts and not others. 

And woo-hoo Guy Fieri shilling Roll-Aids. 

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 9:22 PM

Favorite moment: The intro montage, with the wee blond girl apparently in the midst of a team challenge, screaming at her teammate, "Whip it! Whip it like a man!"

queenofsarab

queenofsarab

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

I thought I would hate this but I actually really enjoyed it. It made me feel super old and a little bad that 8 year olds are apparently way better cooks than I am, but the kids were fun to watch and seemed to be really enjoying themselves. 

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 11:08 PM

I am sure that the judges are able to temper their mouths for kids (they have kids, they know they would get reamed by the press or some parent if they were terrible to some child, etc.). What I'm not so sure of is whether the kids will be able to take the disappointment that comes with criticism and loss.

I really don't want to see some kid crying or begging not to leave, etc.   "Whip it like a man" didn't appeal to me either. That's the kind of talk that gets people smashed in the mouth, but of course the girl would whine that 'he hit a girl,' and we can't have that. I dunno. Kids in kitchens; not that appealing.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

This premiere episode is already better than everything about last season's adult version.

I love the kids in the Australian version.  I hope it continues here in the US version.  It's great to watch some talent here.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 11:16 PM

I loved the girl (Molly?)  who gave us the Joe Glare of Death.

planetoid

planetoid

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 11:29 PM

Those kids were terrific! I was really impressed with their skills, plus they were 100 times kinder to each other than the adult contestants.

LookSee

LookSee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 11:38 PM

I was able to predict which of the kids were going to be eliminated based on how "unattractive" they were. They basically got rid of the ugly and/or uninteresting kids.

yaga

yaga

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 6:46 AM

I must say that this is much better than the kid show on Food Network.  The level of cooking seems to be higher and there haven't been any introductions to overbearing parents yet. Obviously the criticism has to be somewhat tempered after all since they're still kids but it seemed to be pretty fair.

I was able to predict which of the kids were going to be eliminated based on how "unattractive" they were. They basically got rid of the ugly and/or uninteresting kids.

Considering they kept the girl with the inflatable bow in her hair, I find that hard to believe

Edited by yaga, Sep 28, 2013 @ 6:59 AM.

Uncle Benzene

Uncle Benzene

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

Star of the show, in my opinion? Joe. Talk about seeing somebody in a whole new light. (Though I'm one of the few who enjoy him on the adult version as well.)

One of the things I was really apprehensive about going in, and it would have made me stop watching, was the prospect of production playing up the kids' disappointment when eliminated, for the heartstrings factor. And I soooo do not need that. I know they're gonna be disappointed, I don't need the show amplifying it in an effort to manipulate us viewers into crying along with them. I know that there's gonna be some of that, it's unavoidable, but I'm glad they seemed to have been trying to minimize the amount of that kind of thing making it to air. Good call, show.

On the same note, I was very impressed by the way all the eliminated kids, even the ones who couldn't help but to cry a little, handled it.

On the other hand, I can already tell that the level of praise for every single dish these kids put forth is gonna get pretty old pretty quickly. And I'm not really sure there's any "solution" to that particular "problem." I mean, it's not like I want to see them lay into any of these kids or anything. I'm glad the feedback is positive. And from what I saw, it was well-earned. Every dish put forward was in fact impressive, given that these are kids. So perhaps I shouldn't even be "complaining" about it. It's just that "Great job!" every single time is gonna get pretty boring.

Cringed a little bit at Gordo's boyfriend/girlfriend talk. Not "offended" per se, it was all perfectly innocent, nothing "creepy" or sexist or anything like that about it as far as I'm concerned. But I felt embarrassed for both kids. As long, long ago as it was, I still remember what it was like being that age, and any kind of boyfriend/girlfriend talk from my parents and other adult family members, as "cute" as I'm sure it was from their perspective, just embarrassed the hell out of me. ESPECIALLY if the girl was present at the time! I'd have been hyperventilating and running for the nearest exit.

The youngest kid, the 8 year old blond boy (Nathan?) was a little too hammy for my taste. Okay, a lot too hammy. He was cute and all. But I don't need more than one hand to count the things that are more annoying than a cute kid who damn well knows it, and is clearly working it. I was sad for him when he was eliminated, but I was kinda happy for myself.

Ireland77

Ireland77

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 8:37 AM

I saw a whole bunch of cute kids, some of whom got to stay and some of whom didn't pass the first round.

The youngest kid, the 8 year old blond boy (Nathan?) was a little too hammy for my taste.

He certainly was excitable ... likely due to both his personality and his age.  However, I loved that we saw him genuinely happy for the other kids who received high compliments on their food.  Hopefully he will retain that attitude going forward in his life.

HandsFullMama

HandsFullMama

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

As far as only eliminating the dull ones, they got rid of that cute little 8 year old boy- Nathan?

I could tell who was being eliminated by the comments from the judges. It was almost blink-or-you'll-miss-it, because any criticism was followed quickly by praise... "This is a little undercooked, but the flavor is good. Nice work! Good job!"

Edited by HandsFullMama, Sep 28, 2013 @ 8:43 AM.

strawberryblond

strawberryblond

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 10:08 AM

I did think the more "boring" kids (less outgoing and camera ready) were typically the ones eliminated, but not 100% of the time. However, I could tell who would be eliminated because the eliminated kids were the only ones who received any criticism at all.

I think Sofia (crusted sea bass) and Alexander (macarons) are my early favorites. Both seemed very smart and poised.

I wonder what the process is for these challenges. Like do the kids have access to basic recipes? I just can't see any 10 year old having fully memorized a wide variety of recipes. It seems like they would need a little more time to think about what they're going to make before the challenge starts too, compared to the adult version. Even the culinary prodigy kids, just due to not having years and years of experience.

wolfdreamer

wolfdreamer

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

Saw the show yesterday and it confused me a bit.  So the kids aren't getting money for winning?  Because all they showed was the trophy.  Except one of the kids, forgot who, said that the money he won would be used for culinary school.

The judges being this nice is going to get old really fast.  I know their kids, but come on.  They all have kids so they know how to be more vocal.

I hope there is going to be drama, as cooking shows without them are boring.  I mean watching people cook to me is exceedingly boring, so without the drama, backstabbing or emotional breakdown, I wouldn't watch.

But after all is said and done, I wish I could cook like a 9 year old.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

I looked at the Masterchef Junior imdb page and there were two contestants listed -- both of which have extensive credits (for kids) as actors.  One of them was Nathan, so I'm not going to feel too sorry for him.

I'm guessing that this elimination came after at least a week of Masterchef classes, because they all sound like everyone who competes on the show.  

What are you making?

A creme fraiche panne cotta with a reduction of pomagranate and shaved white chocolate garnish.  

No kid talks like that.  Not even the one I know that really has been cooking since he was eight, who was raised by parents who drool over the food network.  Yet, all of them were using Masterchef speak.  Nor would eight kids (however prodigious) randomly know how to make pasta from scratch.  

I do, however, believe the kid who said he had tortellini once and decided he could make it, too.  I believe one kid in twenty-four would take it upon himself to learn it on his own.  I believe some kids may have parents who make fresh pasta and taught it to them.  l just don't believe all eight of those kids knew when they first stepped into the Masterchef kitchens.

I was also a bit surprised at how basic the pasta was that they made.  Once I learned the basic technique, the first thing I started to do was to add stuff to the pasta:  spinach, basil, pumpkin, tomato, etc.  All to make it more colorful and interesting.  But maybe, because it was an elimination, they all decided to be safe.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 1:41 PM

I'm guessing that this elimination came after at least a week of Masterchef classes, because they all sound like everyone who competes on the show.

I hope that's the case because, otherwise, I feel hopelessly inadequate.  I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with an octopus and, when I was 8, I think I may have been allowed to use the toaster.

There were so many kids and the evaluations went by so fast that I couldn't keep track of who made what.  It should be much easier from now on.  So far, the only kid I didn't like was the fat girl with the ridiculous inflated bow who began blubbering.  I was hoping she'd be eliminated but I think she got to stay.

Uncle Benzene, I agree with your entire post above.  I too was amazed to actually like Joe when he usually makes me cringe.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

Saw the show yesterday and it confused me a bit.  So the kids aren't getting money for winning?  Because all they showed was the trophy.  Except one of the kids, forgot who, said that the money he won would be used for culinary school.

I was wondering the same. Surely there must be money in there somewhere (as that one kid alluded to) and not just a hunk of whatever that trophy is made of.

I think my biggest problem was that there wasn't anyone in the pantry to help the kids reach the top shelves. Being not quite 5' tall myself, having to jump for stuff and risk it coming down on your head is no fun. The shorter kids shouldn't be hampered by the amount of time it takes them just to reach for stuff.

"Whip it like a man" didn't appeal to me either. That's the kind of talk that gets people smashed in the mouth, but of course the girl would whine that 'he hit a girl,' and we can't have that.

Wow. That's the kind of talk that provokes good-natured laughter from everyone I've ever known. Different strokes, I guess.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

I hope there is going to be drama, as cooking shows without them are boring.  I mean watching people cook to me is exceedingly boring, so without the drama, backstabbing or emotional breakdown, I wouldn't watch.

I feel the complete opposite.

The Australian Junior version was solid entertainment with little to no manufactured drama.

The same thing applies to the adult version.  I don't find any entertainment from exagerrated drama.

strawberryblond

strawberryblond

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

I checked out the Wikipedia for this and found that all of the finalists are from California and New York (one girl is from New Jersey, but basically an NYC suburb). I think all but one of the Cali kids were from the LA area. I'm guessing there are a lot of aspiring actors in this crowd. That's true of any reality show, of course, but usually not quite so much with the cooking shows.