Rachael vs. Guy: Kids' Cookoff

• Please log in to reply

71 replies to this topic

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 8:17 PM

Should the discussion for the Kids Cook-Off competition go in here?

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 8:31 PM

Might as well.

I didn't think either Guy or Racheal was good at mentoring.  The kids for the most part were ok.  Nowhere near as annoying as the celebs.  Though the chubby boy has potential to have a gigantic ego.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

Hailey on Rachel's team (I think, the black girl on the team with the three other guys?) bothers me just because I can tell she's someone that's been told she's perfect and awesome her whole life. Her mom didn't seem upset or surprised when her kid admitted straight up she was going to ignore Rachel's advice.

It's fun to watch the parent's reaction and try and figure out which of them are stage parents.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 8:45 PM

I've never wished for elimination rounds more in my life. None of these kids will get the hell off my screen all season? And we have to hear from their parents? I don't know if I can do this...

Most of these kids are the unfortunate result of parents that think their kids are the best thing since sliced bread - and have no qualms telling the child that constantly. In ten years, the tone-deaf ones will be showing up on American Idol, raving about how the judges are 'just jelus' of their skills! "My family calls me the Spicemaster!" "I met the First Lady! We collaborate all the time!" "I scoff at those who don't pretentiously overenunciate Italian words!" "Guy's and Rachel's advice is beneath me since my food is obviously perfect - like me!"

Douchester McFakeGlasses can be the first to go. Fakey FirstLadyPal would not be missed, although she mostly just comes off a little plastic and prim. "Spicemaster" GottaBeVIP was eh until he took a turn to the competitive asshole at the end.

OTOH, Cole seems nice and a little Aspergery. The two tiny mop-haired boys on Rachel's team seem adorable and sane. BlandChicken Blonde got a mild case of "have to be the best!" jitters at the end, but seemed to keep it to herself and dealt with it.

Edited by CoyoteBlue, Sep 8, 2013 @ 8:46 PM.

yaga

yaga

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 11:08 PM

Eh, I have mixed feelings about the kids show.  On one hand, you have Guy and Rachel and while I don't hate them like some people, they can definitely be grating at times.  That being said, it's nice to see a show about kids cooking since that's never addressed enough.  I actually like the fact there are no eliminations though, less pressure on them being so young and all. 

I do agree some of the kids might be harder to watch though if they keep the same personality traits throughout. I loved the fact that it was one of the other kids and not Guy that said "She's a mini Giada" with the Italian pronunciation that actually cracked me up. 

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 12:39 AM

I've never wished for elimination rounds more in my life. None of these kids will get the hell off my screen all season?

I had the same thought.  Overall, I liked the show better than I expected to but I'm already sick of Alessandra and the pale blond (Sydney?) whose mother looks like an unpleasant snob.  Cole is cute and I envy the curls.  One of the boys has the same haircut as his mother.  When did the Beatles look come back?  The fake glasses on the black kid are silly and affected.  I wonder if they were his idea or something his mother put him up to.

I do like the way Guy talks to the kids.  He doesn't treat them like babies.  

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 6:57 AM

The grading scale is from 1 to 100.  Right.  All the scores were in the 90's.  Could all those dishes be that good?

And Brandon was tho thweet.

wordnerd

wordnerd

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 9:33 AM

Oh my God I was absolutely *dying* when Cole said to Little Mr. Hipster Glasses "Yes, one stick of butter means one stick of butter. Maybe it's different in Canada, I don't know." Such snark in such a small package, I love it! 

I, too, wish there were eliminations, mostly because I feel the "trophy just for showing up" culture we've got in breeding (another) generation of entitled wimps who don't understand there are consequences to our actions. I'd love to see LMHG and Annoying Allessandra go home STAT. 

I wonder how many times an episode Haile is going to mention she's met the First Lady? 

And lastly, perhaps I've been married to a military man for too long but I really wanted to take a pair of hair clippers to most of those kids. To each their own and all, but personally I don't think boys should have hair long enough to do "the flip" to get it out of their eyes.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

Cole said to Little Mr. Hipster Glasses "Yes, one stick of butter means one stick of butter. Maybe it's different in Canada, I don't know."

I laughed too but after that I noticed that one of them had one of those pound blocks of butter in his hand as opposed to a quarter pound stick.  Maybe he wasn't sure of the definition of "stick".

I, too, wish there were eliminations, mostly because I feel the "trophy just for showing up" culture we've got in breeding (another) generation of entitled wimps who don't understand there are consequences to our actions. I'd love to see LMHG and Annoying Allessandra go home STAT. 

I absolutely agree with both sentiments. 

I wonder how many times an episode Haile is going to mention she's met the First Lady? 

I'm already sick of hearing it myself but I've seen adults name drop like that all my life plus meeting someone prominent is probably a huge big deal to a kid so I can understand it.

And lastly, perhaps I've been married to a military man for too long but I really wanted to take a pair of hair clippers to most of those kids.

Me too.  My son is an ex-Marine and his boys, both teenagers, have what we used to call men's haircuts.  I don't understand why parents would want their male children to look cutesy and effeminate.

SewSumi

SewSumi

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

Guy's likely better with kids because he actually has them. Rachael just plays with the "mentor" label to try and keep her brand afloat. I could only take about 5 minutes (the end) before it was mercifully over.

Does anyone really believe the kids aren't going to get scores in the mid-high 90's every week? This isn't about tearing them down to build them up. I frankly don't want to see kids in tears because they got a 62 on their last dish. That one girl was freaked out enough with a 93. Let's see what parents are encouraging, vs. the ones who are stage parents, and how that plays out with the kids.

SusieCue

SusieCue

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

The ads for this show are so incredibly creepy (with the kids dressed up as mini-Rachels and mini-Guys), they're putting me off watching it.

Does anyone really believe the kids aren't going to get scores in the mid-high 90's every week? This isn't about tearing them down to build them up. I frankly don't want to see kids in tears because they got a 62 on their last dish. That one girl was freaked out enough with a 93.

Yeah, but a kid *shouldn't* be freaked out by a 93.  Why are we raising kids who think that an 80 isn't a good mark?!  I'd rather see the kids "graded" out of 10 and set a standard where 7 is good, 8 is really good, 9 is awesome and 10 is perfect.  You know, what grades ought to mean (before grade inflation stripped them of all meaning).

Edited by SusieCue, Sep 9, 2013 @ 2:05 PM.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 7:50 PM

How many of the kid's "Talking Heads" were the result of production?  Uggg.  I'm out. 

twtexas17

twtexas17

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 8:54 PM

I'm rooting for Brandon because he is a fellow Texan and yeth he ith tho thweet. I'm probably going to hell for saying this but is Cindy Brady his English teacher?

I can't tell you how many times I shook my head at that Canadian kid with the goofy ass glasses. I'm glad to see a fellow POC on my screen, but damn did they have to find one with the attention span of a puppy.

That zucchini dish is delicious. I made that at home when I saw it done on The Chew.

Overall I think I will enjoy this because even though some of those kids annoy me already, I am honestly impressed with their skills and food knowledge.

SewSumi

SewSumi

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

Yeah, but a kid *shouldn't* be freaked out by a 93.  Why are we raising kids who think that an 80 isn't a good mark?!  I'd rather see the kids "graded" out of 10 and set a standard where 7 is good, 8 is really good, 9 is awesome and 10 is perfect.  You know, what grades ought to mean (before grade inflation stripped them of all meaning).

That's the point. The kids come into this with unrealistic expectations. Not to mention, how would some viewers react if some kid got a 74 and started bawling uncontrollably? Frankly, I'd find a scenario like that a bit uncomfortable and a bit cruel. It's TV, not school. I'm okay with the grade inflation if it keeps the quality of food on the high end.

And yes, I'm a teacher. In the classroom, I'll give them the grade they deserve. When they get older and pursue culinary school (if they choose to go that route without a stage parent pushing them), they'll get the grades they deserve then...and be mature enough to handle the truth.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:22 PM

They cut the kids on Chopped.  They could do here as well.  Probably the best way to score the kids would be to rank the dishes 1-8 and award points based on the ranking.  Get the kids used to not all being # 1 and an easy way to determine a winner and winning team at the end.

I won't be setting the dvr for this one but might watch it if I stumble on it like I did yesterday.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:45 PM

Some of these kids are annoying, like they are playing characters rather than just being who they are. Alessandra, especially.    But Cole, I liked.  I guess because he seemed real, reminded me of some kids I know.  Cute, nerdy, self-conscious, humble -  he just has an endearing quality. 

Callasin

Callasin

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2013 @ 12:47 PM

One of the boys has the same haircut as his mother.  When did the Beatles look come back?

We were calling him Mini Harry and One Direction Hair Kid throughout the show.  Then when we saw his mother had the same cut we couldn't stop laughing.

Neither my housemate or I like Rachael and Guy but the kids kept us entertained and we enjoyed the show. 

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Marion Ross! Other than that I could give two shits, but damn if that Brandon isn't sweet. And I HATE kids.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

The fact that both Haile and Sydney seem incapable of hearing less-than-glowing comments without twitching, grinding their teeth and glowering says a lot.  Haile is very accomplished and I get the sense that they both went in assuming that they would be miles ahead of everyone else and not have to try.  Sydney annoys me but I feel badly for her - her mother is a nightmare.  I'm sure if this doesn't work out, she'll be on another reality show until Mom gets the fame-adjacent high she craves.  Haile won me over by clearly disliking Rachael Ray as much as I do.  And does anyone else think she looks like the long-lost Obama child?  She looks like she could actually be her BFF Michelle's daughter. 

Cole seems the best suited to having a cooking show - he's nailed the whole talking-while-cooking thing, he speaks very clearly and eloquently and is very funny as well as adorable.  He seems like a really nice kid.  Initially I thought Hunter was endearing, but he seems to really enjoy tearing other contestants down, which is an attitude I don't care for in people of any age. 

Brandon and the little moptop who looks like Steve Irwin's missing third child are adorable but they need haircuts.  The little hipster boy is a hot mess.  He seems like a nice kid, but how'd he get on the show?  Is having a Youtube channel out of your mom's kitchen so impressive that it overrides his significant weaknesses?  Alessandra is cute for now but I suspect she'll be on my nerves soon enough.  Still, she seems the most accomplished in terms of actually cooking elaborate dishes well and quickly. 

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

Sydney annoys me but I feel badly for her - her mother is a nightmare.

Ugh her mother. "I didn't get to complete my dreams so my child..." Blah, blah, blah. What I heard was "I'm here to win, I mean she's here to win. Um, go baby. Kill 'em, err try your best." The parents are the worst part of the show & with Guy on screen that says a lot. Actually I far prefer this Guy to the one on DDD, the shove it in & let the grease drip as you talk show. The squicky moment where they tried to have Sydney feign interest in his son was stupid though.

Alessandra is cute for now but I suspect she'll be on my nerves soon enough.

She got on my nerves the first episode & has remained there. I want to tell her to shut up & then go snatch the faux-hipster glasses off that one kid. What kid does that? Maybe as a joke but fake glasses all the time? And Hunter sure took a turn into bittersville this episode. His little self righteous speech about time management doesn't mean much if his sausage is dry & tasteless.

The two moppets, whose names I can't recall, are both cute & enjoyable but I find myself protective of them. It's harder to see them compete in some ways. When the one got teary eyed after cutting himself I wanted to call a timeout.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 12:45 AM

I wish someone would be eliminated each episode like on every other cooking competition but I suppose that would mean every episode would end with a kid crying so I can understand why the producers elected to use a different format.  Viewers wouldn't like that every week.

I thought Alessandra was annoying right off the bat but now I think she's obnoxious.  There's a girl like that in every classroom and all the other kids hate her.  Hunter isn't far behind on the annoying scale.  I don't care much for Daniel and his phony hipster glasses either but he doesn't irritate me quite as much.

Brandon and Jack are cute but they both need haircuts.  I was shocked to see that Jack is 13 because he looks much younger and the moppet hair emphasizes that.  I imagine having leukemia has affected his growth but he'd look closer to his age with a more mature looking haircut.

So far, my favorite is Cole.

some1105

some1105

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 2:00 AM

Both of the moppets are adorable and charming. Their manners so far have been flawless, and they are both clearly dedicated to cooking. They could show up for each episode with hair to their waists and dressed as the pink power ranger, and it would be irrelevant to their culinary competence, how they should do on this show, or how well they are being parented.

WeWartide3

WeWartide3

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

I firmly agree about everyone's comment on the elimination round.  These children should be old enough to be able to handle elimination.  So what they cry as they tell of their dream being lost.  Adults do that on every elimination show we watch on FN.  You lean to be a better person (in most instantences), and grow from it.  Totally agree how most of these are very grating, and can move from the TV anytime.

Here are the list of nicknames we have come up with:

Daniel  Urkel Jr.

Brandon: Mr. Cindy Brady.

Sydney:  Ms. Preppy

Cole:  so sorry Cole, but we sadly call you the muppet child

Haile:  Lisa Jr:  from Saved by the Bell.  I also think she is the lost child of the Obamas.

Hunter:  the bullied kid from the playground

Jack:Jonathan Taylor Thomas ( at first I thought he was his son)

Allessandra:  the kid from Barney (She really looks like she could be that obnoxious little girl's daughter

I agree about Cole winning.  I really would love to see him on Food network.  He appears to have "it" together during the camera challenges,and cooking.  Plus he has some snark about him that I like for his age.  I told Mr. Tide that I would love to know what school he is from.  He seems to be very educated, and not just out there just for the fame factor.  He really is enjoying being on the show.

Although, I did really feel for Brandon when he cut his finger and burned his hand.  Hated them showing Hunter's comment about how happy HE was the challenge was over, for HE felt Brandon would really injure himself.  I am not sure if Hunter was snarking or unable to show empathy.

Allessandra, Haile, and Sydney can leave anytime.

HanaChan

HanaChan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

I thought Alessandra was annoying right off the bat but now I think she's obnoxious.

And fake. Man, I hate to be ragging on a pre-teen, but she is just the most pretentious little twit I've seen since Rachel herself debuted.

SweetGAPeach94

SweetGAPeach94

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

I agree about Cole winning. I really would love to see him on Food network. He appears to have "it" together during the camera challenges,and cooking. Plus he has some snark about him that I like for his age. I told Mr. Tide that I would love to know what school he is from. He seems to be very educated, and not just out there just for the fame factor. He really is enjoying being on the show.

Hubby and I were discussing and think that Cole is probably home schooled. His phrases and word choice seem to indicate more adult interaction than child interaction. And just some of the things he knows about indicate that he is at least better read than some of his peers.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 2:33 PM

Allessandra:  the kid from Barney

THANK YOU!   I swear she seemed so familiar to me.  When my kids watched Barney many years ago, I always thought of the kids on the show as child actors playing the part of real children.  And there was one who was just like Allessandra.  Alessandra has that quality of exaggerration of mannerisms and emotions that remind me of kids that try too hard.

I'm glad so many here like Cole.  There's something very honest and humble about him.  So many of the others have a pretentious  quality, he  is the only one who I want to know more about.   Now that the fall TV season is starting, I have been delting shows off my DVR schedule.  I almmost deleted this one, but quite honestly, I want to keep watching just to see what happens with Cole.  I don't know if he's the best cook in the bunch, but he seems like such an interesting kid.   I guess he seems kind of unspoiled in a way,.  The others want to BE ON TV.  Cole just likes to cook. 

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 6:24 PM

Jack:Jonathan Taylor Thomas ( at first I thought he was his son)

Allessandra:  the kid from Barney (She really looks like she could be that obnoxious little girl's daughter

Holy shit both of these are incredibly accurate.  I knew Alessandra reminded me of someone, but I couldn't place it.  And Jack (I keep wanting to call him "Luke" for some reason and I have no idea why) does look like a little JTT. 

Hunter reminds me of the kid from A Christmas Story.  At first I thought he was cute with all his dorking out but he got really mean really fast.  Maybe he's enjoying picking on people instead of being picked on for a change (call it a hunch but he seems like the kind of kid who does not have a ton of friends - he's nerdy, likes a "girl" hobby and has a thoroughly unpleasant personality), but whatever the reason, it got old quickly. 

Alessandra is a bit much but she seems to be a genuinely good-natured girl, which compared to the twitching perfectionism of Li'l Michelle Obama, the phoniness of Sydney and the nastiness of Li'l Lumberjack (yeah, we have nicknames for them too...Hunter's plaid shirt left an impression), I don't mind her.  Yet.  I can see that changing, though.  She's already starting to wear on my nerves, and while all the kids are quoting/imitating adult competitors on these shows, she's the most obnoxious about it.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

I like Cole, but he's almost hard to watch just because he's such a normal kid. I didn't like being 13 and don't really need to see my 13-year-old awkwardness played out on TV many years later.

I liked Hunter last week (I think I would like any kid who fretted about a lack of herbes de Provence), but he's a little big for his breeches. He's not all that.

Sidney = Violet Beauregarde. I'd love to see her take on a blueberry challenge.

Brandon is adorable and his lisp is killing me. We keep thinking they're giving him dishes with the most s words just because it's so darn endearing. "thpithy and thavory thweet potatoeth."

MacabreParlor

MacabreParlor

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

This show. My hubby and I were rolling our eyes hard when they announced there would be no eliminations. Really? 'Everyone gets a trophy just for showing up' mentality is still alive and well I guess. Losing isn't an emotional trauma for criminy sake, criticism isn't going to kill a kid. It builds character, builds a sense of pride at accomplishment, try then try harder. Most importantly it teaches how to be a good sport, a good loser and most importantly a good winner. After watching two episodes I think all of these children with the exception of Brandon and perhaps Cole would do well with that lesson. 

That said I think the show would be infinitely better without the parents.

Meh, why I am still watching I'll never know but I am rooting for Brandon and Alessandra, so far they seem to me to be the most talented cooks. 

Edit: mobile phone autocorrects

Edited by MacabreParlor, Sep 17, 2013 @ 10:45 AM.

SweetGAPeach94

SweetGAPeach94

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:15 AM

I liked Hunter last week (I think I would like any kid who fretted about a lack of herbes de Provence), but he's a little big for his breeches. He's not all that.

I've been liking him until his complaints about not winning this week. He admitted that his sausages were dry and not done the way he would like them, but he said he should have won just for the plating.

Alessandra also bothered me when she wanted to do best out of three on rock, paper, scissors and when she was upset that she didn't get rave reviews for her first challenge. "But I didn't even want to cook it," was too much whining for me.

I haven't totally lost respect for Sydney yet, but the hair boys are probably my favorites - Cole, Jack, and Brandon.