Elizabeth Berkley: I'm So Excited! I'm So Scared!

• Please log in to reply

98 replies to this topic

discoparkinglot

discoparkinglot

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 7:51 AM

I hope she dances to the Pointer Sisters song this season -

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

It's the most easiest subtitle for a contestant ever.

That or I will take any quotes from Showgirls disguised as dancing techniques: "THRUST IT!"

She is kind of a ringer but then again a few of the contestants are in some capacity.  

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 3:31 PM

I've wanted her on for some time now and so glad she's finally doing it.

Not only does she have the cult classic of Showgirls on her belt, but she comes in with that nostalgic 90's feeling too. 

I think she can go far if she plays her cards right.

But please, please tell me she isn't going to officially go by Elizabeth Berkley Lauren, like i've seen in some articles? That's just too much of a mouthful. Like when the announcer insisted on calling Aly, "Alexandra" every week.

Jobo05

Jobo05

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 5:42 PM

Ah, Jessie Spano. In a season which also includes "Stacey Carosi" (Leah Remini), the Saved By The Bell-nostalgia is in full bloom. Looking forward to seeing her and Val out there.

mrsmit7

mrsmit7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 6:05 PM

I'm here for Elizabeth and Val. I loved saved by the bell, and I adore Val, but if they make it that far, Im going to need him not to choke in the finals three years in a row...he's too talented for that.

Edited by mrsmit7, Sep 4, 2013 @ 6:06 PM.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 1:23 AM

Do you think we'll get a Hot Sunday reunion?

Will she bribe the judges with Buddy Bands?

TruBrit

TruBrit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

She apparently met her husband  in a dance class in 2000. Good to know she's been practicing.

Edited by TruBrit, Sep 5, 2013 @ 8:25 AM.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

Maybe this better belongs in Val's thread since it's his initial blog for Today on this season, but I thought it provided more insight into Elizabeth than him. 

http://www.today.com...e-we-8C11080328

Apparently Elizabeth requested Val.  Mind you they told her that there was no guarantee she would get him, but that is likely part of the reason they got paired.  Sounds like she's a big DWTS fan.

I am happy to hear Val sounding more along the lines of S16 Val in this blog.  He seemed a bit disengaged in some of their interviews yesterday, which I'm not sure what that is about, but he comes off relatively excited here.

He also says that Elizabeth stopped dancing 20+ years ago for personal reasons.  Mind you he doesn't give the reason, but when did Showgirls get released?  I was wondering if she gave up dancing after that debacle.  I can't remember what her "dancing" was like in that movie (yes, I've seen at least part of it), but I don't remember it being anything to write home about.  Not that that is really the reason that movie was so derided.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 3:12 PM

Well, Showgirls came out in 1995, and when it did, was critically panned and she was trying to distance herself from it, but over time it because a cult classic through re-runs, word of mouth, etc. and not she's embracing it a bit more. It was very risky because at the time, not many movies were released as an "NC-17" rating and now, in 2013, it was mentioned in her introduction yesterday.

So yea, it was 18 years ago, and there wasn't much real "dancing" in the movie, mostly just sexy choreography and "showgirls" types of moves. But she did take classes as a kid, and maybe she stopped somewhere along the line, i'm not sure.

Either way, she's not the first ringer, nor will she be the last, but she'll likely take some heat for it regardless, unless it's transferred onto Corbin, who, IMO, has a bigger dance background, seeing as he was a guest on DWTS' "Macy's Stars of Dance" segment. That's quite possibly the biggest ringer in my eyes.

mrsmit7

mrsmit7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

yeah, I wonder to if the initial backlash from Showgirls was the reason she stopped dancing. As Val has noted, dance was/is her first passion. I remember in interviews she would say how she busted her ass in Showgirls and they were dancing 18hrs a day during filming. I can imagine how heartbreaking it would be to pour your heart into something, especially your first big solo gig, and have it panned like that.

The quality of the film wasn't anything to write home about, although it's reached guilty pleasure cult status currently, but her dance skills were pretty decent.

It will be interesting to see how starting back dancing will be for her.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 8:39 PM

She's the reason I am watching this season. She needs to win!

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

I hope she has a good personality. She seems a little standoffish.

setsuna

setsuna

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 5:54 AM

Apparently Elizabeth met her husband in 2000 in a dance class, so she must not have given up dance entirely 20 years ago.  I think that's just the standard downplaying of dance experience partners always do when they have celebs who can be accused of being ringers.  Mind you, I don't mind "ringers" at all.  A lot of my favorites have been accused of that in the past.  Guess what, often the most enjoyable routines are from people with previous dance experience and training.  Since I prefer enjoyable routines, my attitude is: bring on the ringers.   

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

She was also the host of Bravo's  Step It Up and Dance in 2008

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 4:42 PM

While there might be some exaggeration there, Val might have meant more like she gave up any sort of professional dance 20 years ago. I don't know anything about how Elizabeth met her husband, but she might have kept up with dance on a more casual or workout level. 

I have a feeling though if she lasts long enough we'll find out whatever her reasons were.  She talked somewhat about having to overcome her fears to sign onto the show, so I can easily see it becoming her story on the show.

From the interviews I've seen, she seems perfectly nice and lovely.  I just can't tell yet if she and Val are clicking.  A lot of the other new partnerships are running around and being all cutesy (Mark/Christina, Karina/Corbin, Peta/PLL dude and etc.) and they are just kind of there right now.

mrsmit7

mrsmit7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

@spanana

the ones that seem to be running around all cutesy are the 'youngins'. Val, definitely, and seemingly Elizabeth, are not ones to post a thousand instagram videos & photos like some of the other stars/pros.

From the few interviews I have seen, they seem to get on with each other. Elizabeth is very touchy feely with him (thankfully she's married so not in
showmancy way) that shows she's naturally very comfortable with him.

But...I too will be excited when we get a little something out of them or at least the dwts instagram, that seems to be posting videos of every couple except them.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

Video > (KABC) DwtS S17: Elizabeth Berkley & Val Chmerkovskiy

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

I have no problems with Elizabeth's previous dance experience because I've never seen anything from her dancing that suggests she's all that great. If we're going by "Showgirls," because she just looked very awkward to me in her dancing in that. I think she'll excel at ballroom, but I have my doubts about her in Latin. Thank God she's married, so Val doesn't go back down that sleazy road again. I want the creative Val again from last season. Looking forward to seeing what they can do.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:12 AM

While I agree there is a good chance she will be better on the ballroom side, the main issue these two have in hold is once again the height issue.  I know it came into play a bit last season for Val, so he should have a pretty good handle on how to deal with it by now I would think. 

Also I wasn't implying that these two won't get along.  I think they will.  I just didn't see the chemistry jumping off the page in their initial interviews--which I suppose is a tad unfair of me to judge when they've probably barely known each other a week.  Plus I suppose who cares as long as they find some common ground on the dance floor.  Elizabeth came across as very friendly and touchy and in Val's space, but Val seemed a tad disengaged in some of the interviews I saw.  But he also has a tendency to get lost in his head a lot and when he does it reads all over his face, so he might have just been distracted by something or other.  Something tells me Val's mind is a pretty scary place at times.

But yes, I've followed Elizabeth on social media pre-DWTS and I don't think she's much of a social media person so I'm not expecting her to post a lot of cutesy pics and etc. 

mrsmit7

mrsmit7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

Lol...I agree about the dancing in showgirls, but I guess I hoped it was a testament to the choreographers ability and not Elizabeth's. All of the dancers in that movie looked awkward to me, there was just way too much over-the-top, hard, spastic movements.

I think that semi-strip tease dance she did with the Alvin Ailey guy to that prince song showed more of her dance skill to me, than any of those big production numbers.

I too wonder how she will fair in latin though. I think she will excel and the tangos, a. tangos, and pasos, but I worry about the sambas and cha chas.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

Tango and Argentine Tango don't count because they're not technically Latin but Ballroom, despite their country of origin. They have far more in common with Foxtrot, Waltz, Viennese Waltz, and Quickstep than they ever have had or will have with Samba, Paso Doble, Jive, Rumba/Bolero, Salsa/Mambo, and Cha-Cha, which is why they've never been classified with Latin (that, plus the fact that the Latin dances hadn't yet been introduced to the ballroom community when Tango and Argentine Tango first made their way there some 10-15 years earlier).

Edited by legaleagle44, Sep 8, 2013 @ 1:03 PM.

missysays

missysays

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 5:51 PM

But yes, I've followed Elizabeth on social media pre-DWTS and I don't think she's much of a social media person so I'm not expecting her to post a lot of cutesy pics and etc.

Does Elizabeth even have an Instagram account?

I'm not too worried about this couple's social media presence. I mean look at last season- I don't remember Kellie and Derek having that many pics or videos other than what was put up by the Dancing ABC instagram team. It's about what happens on the dance floor and how their dances compare and contrast with the other competitors on the given night.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

I don't know if she has an instagram.  I should have said that I followed her on twitter pre-DWTS and she doesn't tweet much.  But I agree that I tend to think people place too much importance on the importance of social media in these things.  Sure, it's a tool.  But pretty much what happens on the dance floor tends to speak for itself.

00redsvt

00redsvt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:04 AM

Val tagged her in one of his posts but it is a non workins username so I don't think she has Instagram.

mrsmit7

mrsmit7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 10, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Judging by the photos, looks like they might have contemporary the 1st week. I enjoyed Val's two previous contemporaries, so It should be interesting. I hope it's a mix of Kelly's and Zendaya's, leaning more towards Zendayas.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

Going based only on the pictures, their contemporary looks closer to the style of the one who did with Zendaya as opposed to Kelly.  Though probably a bit more passionate and in your face (for obvious reasons).  I can't say I'm surprised they gave it to them first week though.  Val has had memorable contemporary routines the last two seasons as much as I disliked the one he did with Kelly and it seems like the show once again gave it week one to some of the couples where they expect the celebs have a strong enough dance background to pull off something decent.

Edited by spanana, Sep 10, 2013 @ 10:36 AM.

missysays

missysays

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

Here's an interview that Elizabeth gave to Access Hollywood in their studio (today I think)...

http://watch.accessh...zabeth berkley#

It has a brief snippet of her tap dancing from a few years back- she's pretty darn good! I think she and Val will turn out to be a good team together.

I was looking at some of the photos from Val and Elizabeth's contemporary dance and it does seem very similar to the one he did with Zendaya. There's a hand on heart pose and then a position where Elizabeth looks like she's leaning or draping over his back. I think it'll be good because my sense especially after seeing that tap footage of Elizabeth is that she has good balance and ability to control her footwork- if there's solo work that's necessary in the contemporary she'll be good at holding her own that way (similar to Zendaya). Val's lifts with Kelly were really good because she was so small and he could lift her more easily but her solo footwork/ balance was not as good. I think with Elizabeth we'll probably see more choreography that focuses on ground movement and footwork and less lifting since she's a similar height to him (like Zendaya was). Thinking back, Val only had very basic lifts with Zendaya most of them with her being carried in his arms. His lifts with Kelly were much more complex- a lot more aerial and turning twisting movements within the lifts.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they put out there.

And I really liked the way Elizabeth came across in her interview. She seems to be in it because she wants to dance again and not necessarily because she's trying to resuscitate her career or promote a new project. Though she does talk about her askElizabeth work with girls.

Excited for next week!

mrsmit7

mrsmit7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

Yeah, I love her attitude too. She just seems to love dance, and is excited to dive back into it.

That tapping clip from 2009 was pretty impressive, hopefully her other dance experience has held over just as well. If so, I can really see Val doing something special with this partnership.

I hope their contemporary allows for her to show off some solo work and really is a show stopper-like I thought Val & Zendaya's contemporary was. This seems like a good crop of contestants, a lot with some sort of dance experience, so I feel you really have to make an impression off the bat.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 2:42 AM

Liz caught a lot of grief from film critics and much male admiration for Showgirls.  I've heard she's pretty defensive about that movie.  I'm hoping she'll make it clear to Val that their dance doesn't need to be over the top sexy.  I thought Val was at his best with Zendaya because it forced him to focus on dance and not eroticism.  I know we'll be back to shirtless Val this season, but I'm hoping they'll keep it family friendly.

Edited by aceplace57, Sep 12, 2013 @ 2:44 AM.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 4:31 PM

I really would be surprised to see Val go in to overt Kelly mode this season.  He did some interviews post S16 where he pretty much said that in retrospect he had a hard time watching himself and his behavior in S15.  So it seems like he had some sort of epiphany last season in terms of both his own individual dancing/choreography and his behavior and place on the show, though I suppose he could change his tune depending on how this partnership goes in the early going.

The other reason has more so to do with Liz.  Even if she embraces more of the Showgirl cheese these days, one of the main things she has done in recent years is run this program called "Ask Elizabeth" for middle school girls.  It's a self esteem program where she goes into schools and talks with the girls and etc.  I think she's been at it since around 2006, but in many of her interviews she refers to embracing her fears about doing the show in large part for her "Ask Elizabeth" girls because she encourages them to face their fears.  Since it seems like they're one of her motivations for doing the show, I can't see her wanting to go too over the top.