My Five Wives

• Please log in to reply

742 replies to this topic

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

From TLC Press Release:

TLC is opening the door – well, five to be exact – to a big, loving, progressive polygamous family. The new one-hour special MY FIVE WIVES features Brady Williams, his five wives, and their combined 24 children, who all live together on their large family property outside Salt Lake City, Utah. Following as he balances the needs, hopes, frustrations, and fears of each wife along with his own, the special offers a candid and open look at this controversial lifestyle, and goes behind closed doors to share the intimate details and complicated decisions they have to make as a larger than average family.

Believing in equality for everyone and a God who loves and accepts all, the Williams family emphasize that their choice to be together is more about their mutual love and commitment than it is about religion. Though their beliefs and their decision to leave their church have led them to be shunned by their community and estranged from many family members, the Williams believe their sacrifices are worth it.

MY FIVE WIVES premieres Sunday, September 15 at 9/8c, following an all-new episode of Sister Wives.

TLC.com doesn't have a page yet, I'll update this post with it when they do.  They started showing the commercial for it during Sister Wives last night. But Starcasm.net has seemed to do some digging. 

I am thrilled.  This family is admitting they have been shunned by the church and do it for lifestyle purposes.  And going behind closed doors.  The stuff we want to know about, but Kody & Company won't tell.

Can't think of a catchy title.  Open to whoever wants a stab at it.

ETA: TLC still hasn't made a full section for them like their other shows, but now has an "About" Page.

Edited by ShaNaeNae, Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:42 AM.
Added quote tags

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

Something to forward to.
I suppose it's too much to hope that some of the wives are gypsies, the rest Amish, and they live in trailers.

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 11:38 AM

No, but from some of the info already out there, they are somewhat trainwrecky too, so it should be a fun run with these folks too.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

I'll bet the Browns (Sister Wives) are shaking in their boots that this family/show will be more popular.  lol

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

I read the Starcasm article and I am looking forward to the special. It seems a common theme is "shared living quarters breeds animosity". I see this family also has separate spaces for each wife and no master bedroom next to, below or above another one. Maybe I am just 100% lame, but do these people have sex that loudly? I guess so.....

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 12:45 PM

Thin walls?   Doesn't have to be the loud.

Edited by melissa1925, Sep 2, 2013 @ 1:04 PM.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 1:44 PM

Thin walls?   Doesn't have to be the loud.

Again this just shows how lame I am!! Lol.

I would think that this family, with 5 out of 6 adults working outside the home would be able to support their offspring and run their home smoothly. I would think though that when the children were smaller (non school age) two or more of the wives stayed home. 6 adults trying to manage a household would take a lot of compromise, everyone has an idea of how they would like to run things. Given these individuals have been together a while hopefully they have it figured out.

Looking forward to the special.

kelly28rn

kelly28rn

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

These people seem much more demonstrative than the Browns, but still manage to have a bit of the inbred poly Mormon look with the large amount of blonde children.  I'm not sure what I think of them, but the husband seems to be much more the horndog than Kody - judging only by the fact that his wives are thin and attractive, and he seems to marry a new one every 1-2 years.  There's also a tremendous ick factor for me, considering the fact that two of his wives are closely related. 

The way they describe themselves makes them sound more like a polyamory situation than polygamy.  Interesting that, like Kody, he was not raised in polygamy, but fell right into the lifestyle and preys mostly on women raised to believe they don't have the right to a monogamous marriage.

I'm willing to watch and give them the benefit of the doubt.  He's already reminding too much of the Darger husband - a man who seems to relish controlling his harem.  It's great that most of them seem to work, but when Sister Wives began, all but one of the adults worked as well.  I'm in for now.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

I'm also interested to see the story of the newest wife. The one that took years to get used to the other wives. What I'm interested in seeing is they've been married for 12 years. And have a 13 year old daughter.

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

Apparently that was a mistake in the bio. A cousin of one of the other wives stated on another blog that they have been married 14 years, not 12 years. But I'm waiting for the show to see what the family has to say about it. Since it is a spiritual marriage rather than legal marriage, I guess they could claim any date. We've already been down the rabbit hole concerning marriage/birth dates in plig families!

I'm interested in seeing the family function under one roof. We got to see so little of that with the Browns.

Edited by Galloways Cave, Sep 2, 2013 @ 3:05 PM.

CoCoYoYo

CoCoYoYo

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 3:13 PM

There's also a tremendous ick factor for me, considering the fact that two of his wives are closely related.

I know it's not like Williams married his own cousin but keeping it in the family when selecting a bride just seems like a bit much. On that note, two of Dargers wives are twins, which confounds me. I believe the twins are also cousins of the other wife (but I may be mistaken about that). Of course, you're looking at a belief that isn't shared by the masses. The pool of available and interested brides-to-be may be lacking, despite the supersized families.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 3:59 PM

The Darger's arrangement seemed very squicky to me with the sisters as polygamous wives and then adding a cousin.  I don't think I'll find cousins as squicky.  I'm sure that the pool of women interested in this arrangement has to be small and given how few families overall are willingly polygamous, they don't seem to have a lot of choices other than have some of these close relationships.  Hm, maybe they're hoping the advertisement on reality TV will increase their available pool.  Not working for me so far. :)

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

You know, I'm trying to set up my DVR for a series recording for this.  So when I found "My Five Wives" Comcast gives the description of a movie starring Andrew Dice Clay and Rodney Dangerfield.  I'm assuming they made a movie with that name.  So since it's a movie, it won't let me set up a season-long series recording.  Pretty sad that I know more about a show coming up than a cable company does.  I wouldn't even know where to start on calling them with this error.  Not worth the trouble.

But still looking forward to it...

Edited by ShaNaeNae, Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:59 AM.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 6:35 PM

It probably won't let you set up a season long pass because they don't yet have a series.  I think all that's been done is a special or two. 

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

Oh, really?  I thought all this time it was a series.  That probably would be why there's no big page at TLC.  Interesting.

Still, Comcast needs to take down that description of a Dangerfield/Dice Clay movie!

myyellowrose

myyellowrose

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 8:28 AM

They're waiting on ratings I think.  If the special hits, they will be picked up.  One of the Browns retweeted one of them saying they were really hoping TLC makes them a series.  I haven't even seen any promos for this, but it's set up to record tonight based on what I've been reading here and the SW thread. 

As for the wives being related...I think most of these people are related to each other in some way or another.  In the case of the Dargers, aren't those kids both siblings and cousins?  Thinking too much about the configurations of plig family trees gives me a headache.

crgirl412

crgirl412

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

Oh wow!  I could only watch the last 15 minutes and already I am very impressed with this family!!! 

glitterintheair

glitterintheair

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

They all have that same beaten down look as every other poly family. I want to believe that this can work, but it just doesn't.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

These women look even more miserable than the Brown wives. Did you notice when they showed the wedding pictures, the brides looked happy but all the other wives looked sad? Not impressed with Brady and his tiny little feet either. 

BelleCurve

BelleCurve

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

They tried to put a good face on this but a big fail. The crying was getting on my nerves, it was like one giant therapy hour. But at least most of the adults are working. The kids are cute though.

glitterintheair

glitterintheair

Channel Surfer

" yes

Rhonda was the only one not crying right off the bat. And the birthday disagreements were so trivial...and adoption? Give me a break. (I hope they're at least talking private, no way they could go any other route)

Bavct

Bavct

Couch Potato

I was not impressed with any of the wives, the first wife seems like she is bitter and jealous all of the time, the second - too emo - the third was okay, but I always sympathize with the ladies who feel they must lose weight (like me) and her kids seemed the nicest.  That's why I like Janelle Brown and her children the best as well.  The fourth wife was just, odd all around and the fifth one seemes strangely entitled. 

crgirl412

crgirl412

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

I really am impressed BUT the bar is set so low thanks to the Browns that my above comment standing alone without that claification, is very confusing.  I agree in many respects with glitterintheair for sure.

I liked the meeting with all six of them and the prayer was a nice touch.  I think that they have more goodwill towards each other and are more flexible.  Granted I only watched 15 minutes out of 60 but have watched the Brown trainwreck from the start.    

Jschoolgirl

Jschoolgirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

These women look even more miserable than the Brown wives. Did you notice when they showed the wedding pictures, the brides looked happy but all the other wives looked sad? Not impressed with Brady and his tiny little feet either.

I noticed that right away.

I also thought Nonie looks somewhat like Meri Brown. You know they are related to the Browns. It just stands to reason.

I applaud them for leaving the religion!

It just now struck me though: Maybe they left the organization, but still believe in it?

I hope they ditched it altogether!

tabloidlover

tabloidlover

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

They tried to put a good face on this but a big fail. The crying was getting on my nerves, it was like one giant therapy hour.

This.  As much as I have tried to give the benefit of the doubt, the constant sadness, tears, anger, jealousy, and bitterness is just too much!  If you have that much unhappiness in your marriage (monogamy/polygamy/wtf-ever-y) == it's time to move on and let it go.  You will never convince anyone how happy you are in this "lifestyle" when one of more of your wives is constantly on the verge of tears.

Jschoolgirl

Jschoolgirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

Oh, and that 40-something kisses was gross!

tabloidlover

tabloidlover

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

Why did we need to see him sitting on the bed with each wife tonight?  And he was pretty much consoling each one during the bedtime ritual.  How exhausting...

greekmama

greekmama

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

I am thinking I dislike this guy as much as Koduche.  In all the years they have been married, now they choose to discuss the fact that it’s a problem that the King Brady has the same birthday as the one wife and this is such an issue?!?!?! Are you people for real?  This is  a problem? Not the broken washing machine? Any issues with the children? The house? The budget? Comeon.

The discussion of the adoption felt more like a current and important topic than the birthday one.

I was really upset at the conversation he had with the wife who is overweight. Girlfriend is insecure about it given that the other wives are in decent shape and he has to rub the salt in the wound.  Tact is not this man’s strong suit even though he has to deal with 5 women.  Basically I think he isn’t attracted to her anymore and was implying that if she doesn’t shape up, she won’t be getting her share of loving time with him.

I did like the kids and the fact that these women are able to tolerate eachother more than the Brown women and live in the same house.  Also the fact that these people actually have jobs (until the TLC money starts to rain). 

I hope this trainwreck does go to series, just to get rid of the Brown’s mess off TLC.  Also, who knows where the Williams will end up?  Probably sneaking off into the night for California ala Browns. 

glitterintheair

glitterintheair

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

I wonder how many bottles of wine each kitchen goes through.

And yes, if after 21 years these feelings are still so prevalent and raw....perhaps this ain't the lifestyle for ya.

Zanne

Zanne

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

From certain angles, this guy looks like a blond Rodney McKay from Stargate: Atlantis.  It's bizarre!