Looking: Jonathan Groff's Boy-Loving Boys

• Please log in to reply

471 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 7:49 AM

Russell Tovey will join Jonathan Groff in HBO's new gay-themed dramedy Looking about a group of three gay friends searching for love and fun in San Francisco.

Not only will this be the first major American role for Tovey, who is best known for playing the werewolf on BBC's Being Human (where he played a werewolf and was not shy about getting naked), but also his first queer role. Tovey, who is openly gay, told The Independent he usually avoids playing gay characters on screen.

"Every character I play is straight, which is unique, my agent says, because it’s not really been done before that someone who is completely out is able to play straight roles. So for me to play gay it has to be something special, because it might actually be more of a risk. So I’m waiting for that role — I want it to be something that moves things forward."

Tovey will star as Kevin, "an accomplished video game wunderkind who has achieved financial and critical success at a young age. Kevin, who is gay, works closely with Patrick, the show's lead, played by Jonathan Groff."

The series pilot was directed by Andrew Haigh, the writer-director behind the beautifully shot and emotionally resonant Weekend, and will premiere in 2014. Our expectations are high for this one. But let's be honest: We can't deny that we're just excited to get to finally see more of Tovey (and his adorable ears).

http://www.out.com/e...groff-gay-naked

This sounds either pretty or a possible gay version of Girls. Prays for it not to be the latter. Also Groff and Tovey on the same show is worth watching alone.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

When will it air?  They're not promoting it yet.

Glade

Glade

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

It looks like this will be for 2014, as articles state "shooting will BEGIN in a few weeks."  But, the cast and concept sounds great, so I'll be looking forward. 

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2013 @ 12:21 AM

My friend was in the pilot and I am pleased that they plan on actually filming in SF.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 3:43 PM

This just may be enough to get me to subscribe to HBO again.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2013 @ 8:48 AM

HBO have confirmed it for January 19th.

There's a trailer for it ...

http://www.thebacklo...railer/11/2013/

Zengar

Zengar

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2013 @ 11:05 AM

I am very intrigued by how they will portray living in San Francisco. 

Is Tovey going to be a regular of the show?

bluemagic

bluemagic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 29, 2013 @ 4:56 PM

Some of the folks at HitFix are very optimistic about it...

http://www.hitfix.co...s-have-been-for

I have seen them filming throughout various neighborhoods of SF, from the Mission to Glen Park to the Embarcadero and so on. Glad to hear that they're focused on the SF setting.

jazz

jazz

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

I saw an ep of Russell Tovey appearing on Alan Carr:Chatty Man on YouTube. He talked about his show in the UK and about Looking. That he really liked filming in San Fransisco. And that
Spoiler

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 2:03 PM

Also Groff and Tovey on the same show is worth watching alone.
This so much. I can't wait for Jan 19, even if it means we won't get Jesse St. James back ever again (which - very sad, but also serves Ryan Murphy freaking right).  

I'm annoyed about the guy with the beard. What's with hiding perfectly good looking faces? Blech. 

(Yes, till I see the episode, I have nothing to discuss but the superficial things)

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 7:31 PM

Is this going to be a male-heavy cast?

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 25, 2013 @ 4:59 AM

Looking offers up the unfiltered experiences of three close friends living -- and loving -- in modern-day San Francisco.

Friendship may bind them, but each is at a markedly different point in his journey: Patrick (Jonathan Groff) is the 29-year-old video game designer getting back into the dating world in the wake of his ex's engagement; aspiring artist Agustín (Frankie J. Alvarez), 31, is questioning the idea of monogamy amid a move to domesticate with his boyfriend; and the group's oldest member -- longtime waiter Dom (Murray Bartlett), 39 -- is facing middle age with romantic and professional dreams still unfulfilled.

The trio's stories intertwine and unspool dramatically as they search for happiness and intimacy in an age of unparalleled choices -- and rights -- for gay men. Also important to the ‘Looking' mix is the progressive, unpredictable, sexually open culture of the Bay Area, with real San Francisco locations serving as a backdrop for the group's lives. Rounding out the ‘Looking' world are a bevy of dynamic gay men including Kevin (Russell Tovey), Lynn (Scott Bakula), and Richie (Raul Castillo), as well as a wide-range of supporting characters like Dom's roommate Doris (Lauren Weedman), Agustín's boyfriend Frank (O.T. Fagbenle), and Patrick's co-worker Owen (Andrew Law).

'Looking' was created by Michael Lannan and is executive produced by Sarah Condon ('Bored to Death') and Andrew Haigh, who wrote and directed the critically-lauded 'Weekend.'

Trailer 1
Trailer 2

New HBO series coming in January. Finally, a realistic show about gay people? The gay 'Girls'? Who knows? I'll be watching for a couple of episodes though and if it's good enough, then I'll stick with it.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

There's already a thread.

Anyways, looks like it's mostly a male cast?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 10:55 PM

I merged the older thread and the newer one, and left it in Sitcoms. HBO describes it as a "dramedy," and it's a 30-minute show, so Sitcoms seems a marginally better fit. 

gabbyghoul

gabbyghoul

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 4:12 PM

Mostly male? Try all-white, to boot.

They can drag in another goddamn Brit into an American show, but can't include a black or Asian character? In San Francisco?

At least they have a touch of brown with Alvarez.  But only a touch.

bellyjeans

bellyjeans

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 29, 2013 @ 2:07 AM

Mostly male? Try all-white, to boot.

They can drag in another goddamn Brit into an American show, but can't include a black or Asian character? In San Francisco?

At least they have a touch of brown with Alvarez.  But only a touch.

I totally get your reaction and I had the same thought originally (the fact that people are labelling it as the gay Girls doesn't lend confidence) but, I think categorising this cast as all white is a bit of an exaggeration. 

I've made up the following breakdown of characters with a speaking parts in the trailers we've gotten so far by race/ethnicity:

Main character #1: Jonathan Groff - white

Side character #1 to JG: Raul Castillo (love interest) - hispanic/latino? (not sure, couldn't really find any bio details abt him)

Side character #2 to JG: Russell Tovey (boss / possible love interest?) - white

Side character #3 to JG: Justin Chao (friend/coworker) - asian

Main character #2: Frankie J. Alvarez - latino

Side character to FJA #1: O.T. Fagbenle (boyfriend) - african-american

Main character #3: Murray Bartlett - white

Side character #1 to MB: Scott Bakula (ex) - white

Side character #2 to MB: Lauren Weedman (friend/flatmate) - white woman

So yes, while there are quite a few white characters, there is some hope it won't be a complete smorgasbord of homogeneity. Could be better too of course in terms of the numbers but it definitely feels that HBO learnt from season 1 of Girls where the characters of colour tended to be once-offs and weren't involved in the girls' lives (nannies, a homeless man, and an asian girl without any lines). The side characters played by PoC on this show seem to be recurring (to various degrees) and seem intertwined within the lives of the main characters. (I could easily be wrong and misled by the trailer cut/marketing ofc)

Obviously in terms of representation, it's not just a numbers game but also about the quality of the role. My feeling with this show is that because they only have 8 episodes, they're likely to have kept the first season quite tightly focused on the 3 leads so that they don't bite off more than they can chew. So even though the side characters are actually quite diverse, I feel like these characters will probably serve as satellites to the leads stories. I just hope that like the best kind of supporting roles, they'll be written and acted with nuance so that they don't feel like they don't even have lives or motivations beyond how they interact with the leads. I'm also slightly worried it'll turn into the All-Groff show all the time, when I would rather the three ostensible co-leads get equal screen-time and development. Especially since mainstream media that features gay men tend to default to white + young subjects, whereas the other two leads in this show are the type of characters whose experiences don't get as much focus (PoC / older gay man).

Anyway, I am ultimately looking forward to this show. I don't think it'll be perfect though but I hope it tries at least and, if it shows promise, gets the opportunity to get better

Edited by bellyjeans, Dec 29, 2013 @ 2:19 AM.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Dec 29, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

I'm also slightly worried it'll turn into the All-Groff show all the time, when I would rather the three ostensible co-leads get equal screen-time and development.
Unfortunately, I feel it is not going to be an all Groff show, when I found him the most interesting of the folks we saw in the trailer. (Especially the guy whose decided to cover his face). But given this is HBO, if they are billing it is as an ensemble cast, it's probably going to end up being that. And it'll end up being all dreary and black and deep and stuff. 

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

I am excited. I love Johnathan, and other than Game of Thrones I am not thrilled with any other HBO shows right now.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 12:05 AM

So I watched the premiere while detangling my hair (don't judge). Johnathan Groff's character stood out to me as the most relatable, every day guy that everyone is supposed to be able to relate to. The older guy with the mustache, is he living with his ex-wife/girlfriend? And what's the issue with the realtor he left the vm for? I wish it had been an hour long but pilots always leave unanswered questions. My Sundays are empty so I will keep watching.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 1:15 AM

It felt boring, incoherent, jumbled... I couldn't muster the attention span to get what was going on from scene to scene. And the humor just wasn't there. I want to like an HBO show about homosexuals; but, this isn't it. 

MommaJ

MommaJ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 2:47 AM

To be fair, I'll give it at least two more episodes, but this was really, really, dull.  A bad gay OK Cupid date is just like a bad straight OK Cupid date, and no more interesting. Yawn.

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 7:29 AM

I'm still interested in the show, but the pilot wasn't all that great I felt. Still it's a pilot, it might get better.

I really struggled with telling some of the characters apart though - I could identify the main three guys, but I got really confused at times. Who was the guy Jonathan Groff met in the bathroom at the gay club? Was he someone we'd seen before?

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 8:10 AM

I liked it. There is not much to talk about, but the characters are all likeable and relatable. Currently, I think I'm the least interested in the bearded artist's story with his boyfriend and his threesome. Patrick is kind of adorably sweet and interesting in how he manipulates himself on the search for love and Dom is probably the most interesting out of the three.

My favorite scene was the scene on the bus. Patrick was pretty stupid. If a pretty guy like that talked to me on the bus, I'd take that chance. What are the odds as a gay man to just meet someone on the bus as opposed to on the internet?

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 8:12 AM

Not only will this be the first major American role for Tovey, who is best known for playing the werewolf on BBC's Being Human (where he played a werewolf and was not shy about getting naked), but also his first queer role.

Do they remember that Russell Tovey played a queer character in two episodes of Doctor Who?

I wonder if HBO will ever stop gazing at its own navel so I can actually enjoy a few of their programs. Many of their shows just seem so disconnected and empty now.

Edited by PeteMartell, Jan 20, 2014 @ 8:16 AM.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 8:32 AM

Who was the guy Jonathan Groff met in the bathroom at the gay club? Was he someone we'd seen before?

He was Paddy's (Patrick's) former boyfriend, and they were at the former boyfriend's engagement party. Earlier Paddy had joked about it and begged Dom (older mustached friend) to accompany him.

I couldn't engage with anything about the pilot. Agree it was jumbled, although I appreciated Groff's non-showy performance.

urbanmilkwoman

urbanmilkwoman

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 9:04 AM

I really liked it, but then being gay I could relate a lot and seeing non-stereotypes in starring roles is rare so I really look forward to follow these people. But had these been straight people I wouldn't have been nearly as interested so I get if people found it to be a non-event.

Atony

Atony

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 9:59 AM

That's actually a fair point urbanmilkwoman, as a gay man I liked this because it just felt so normal and real compared to say QAF which didn't really feel like the lives of any gay men I know.  But as you said, would I be interested in watching straight people have an awkward OK cupid date as a TV program?  Probably not.  The fact that there is such a lack of programming that focuses on the lives of gay characters is undoubtedly a huge part of the appeal to me but that might not be true for a wider audience.  Still, it was only one episode.  We will see how it develops.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 10:59 AM

I'm not sure i'm happy that I've been anticipating this for months, but I'm sure I'll forgive all when I have naked sexy times with Jonathan Groff. Eh, I'll wait till Russell Tovey for a final decision on whether I like this or not, and will watch the whole season either way. Because of course, any Groff is better than no Groff - and this was even a sweet Groff. But I do wish I were anticipating next week as much as I did this one. 

Also, I have to ask - what's with all the beards and mustaches? Is this show set in the 70s? 

I do like that we got a fairly good understanding of all the characters. Paddy's sweet, loves his norm, and while being gay is still into societal ideas of attractiveness. A mellowed Charlotte? (Only because I can't stand Carrie). Then there's the artist / artist's helper - not that into his boyfriend, still interested in the thrill of the chase (and seems slightly selfish) - this reads like Carrie-ish but not really. And there's Dom - who seems to be a Samantha without her successful career. I guess they really don't translate as characters unless I push them in there, seem to be more regular folks - as mentioned above. 

urbanmilkwoman

urbanmilkwoman

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 11:07 AM

Also, I have to ask - what's with all the beards and mustaches? Is this show set in the 70s? 

Haha, oh beards and mustaches is huge in the gay community, and very in! So happy there were no baby faced twinks to be seen.

MiamiGuy

MiamiGuy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

Haha, oh beards and mustaches is huge in the gay community, and very in! So happy there were no baby faced twinks to be seen. 

Facial hair is big everywhere these days. Damn hipsters.