Lydia Rodarte-Quayle: These Louboutins Were Made for Walking

• Please log in to reply

57 replies to this topic

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:40 PM

Since it looks like she is going to have a prominent place in the last eight, maybe she deserves her own thread.

Why do I love this character?  She may be the only person so far more murderous than Walter White.

Even Walt was willing to go along, grumbling, with the "hazard pay" for Mike's guys before that proved impractical.  

Lydia's go-to solution for any problem seems to be "kill them all."  Remember, her original idea about the train robbery involved murdering the engineers.

I also love the stark contrast between her willingness to set all kinds of death and destruction into motion at the drop of a hat and her inability even to look at it.  Laura Fraser has done a great job with this psychopathic lunatic of a character.

Consternation

Consternation

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:56 PM

I didn't care about her and was put off by her at first, but now I find her interesting.

She's probably the only character I could get away with dressing up as for Halloween, but I can't afford her clothes and shoes.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 2:56 AM

My first favorite Lydia scene, other than the "this chick's CRAZY" scene with Mike where she is trying to recruit Mike basically to kill everyone, was the scene where Walt was trying to get the very same kill list from her.

"And in your mind I immediately just murder you just right here in this restaurant."  That's what Walt said.  And the dark humor here is that was exactly what Walt was going to do.  He even rolled the ricin capsule between his fingers.  Maybe if he'd put the ricin into a packet of stevia sweetener, it would have worked.

Lydia actually totally understood how murderously insane Walt was, and that he actually WOULD have murdered her right there in some cafe by poisoning her.  And understood the only way she'd stay alive was to make herself useful to Walt.  In that sense, she was smarter than Walt.

Batshit crazy, more murderous than even Walt.  Maybe Lydia is the only character in this show who walks.  Though she deserves to die even more than Walt does.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 8:09 AM

Great thread title! You could even add to it: "These Louboutins Were Made for Walking (Around the Corpses of People She Ordered Killed)."

She's crazy for sure, and very smart, and I think she cultivates that nervous-ditz demeanor so people will underestimate her. (To quote Michael Scott from "The Office": "Maybe next time they will estimate her.")

I like her better than I did in the beginning, but I thought Mike did the best job of mitigating her craziness.

I hope we get a little of her back story in the next few episodes.

Maybe the end will be a showdown between her and Walt in which they shoot and kill each other. That was in a movie, but I can't for the life of me think of the title, but it was either a Western or a mob/gangster movie.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

I didn't like her when I first laid eyes on her because I had a feeling she was much more evil and dangerous than Walt could ever be.  Had she been at the train robbery instead of Todd, she would have killed Drew Sharp, even though she has a child.  

ETA:  I need to make it clear that I don't dislike her.  I absolutely loathe her.

Edited by Ohwell, Aug 23, 2013 @ 11:34 AM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

I also love the stark contrast between her willingness to set all kinds of death and destruction into motion at the drop of a hat and her inability even to look at it.

That's why I hate her more than any other character.

She refuses to acknowledge the consequences of her actions.

Lydia actually totally understood how murderously insane Walt was, and that he actually WOULD have murdered her right there in some cafe by poisoning her.  And understood the only way she'd stay alive was to make herself useful to Walt.  In that sense, she was smarter than Walt.

I disagree.

Lydia is ready to kill everyone at the drop of a hat, so she assumes everyone else is.  That's not understanding people, but expecting other people to behave in the same way as she would, and that is a mistake.

Moreover, I don't see how she outsmarted Walt by giving him a reason not to kill her.  

I think she cultivates that nervous-ditz demeanor so people will underestimate her.

I don't.  She's behaved the same way when she was alone, such as when she noticed her shoes were mismatched or when she couldn't figure out which switch to flip.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

Moreover, I don't see how she outsmarted Walt by giving him a reason not to kill her.

I think she did because Walt came to that meeting entirely prepared to kill her with ricin, literally in public.  She was just another loose end to him.  He mocked her with incredulity at her suspicion.  I think she was smarter than he was in that moment, because she basically read his mind.  

"And in your mind, I immediately just murder you just right here in this restaurant."

It was a perfect read.

She also perfectly grasped Walt's megalomania.  The Czech Republic deal, more than just being immensely profitable, appealed to Walt's desire for worldwide empire, much more than something like even expanding into more U.S. states would.  I think she played him like a fiddle.

Also, I have to admit, I'm totally shipping her and Walt, though I don't think it's in the cards.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

I think she did because Walt came to that meeting entirely prepared to kill her with ricin, literally in public.  She was just another loose end to him.  He mocked her with incredulity at her suspicion.  I think she was smarter than he was in that moment, because she basically read his mind.

If she was that smart, why did she show-up to a meeting where she expected to be killed?  Why didn't she propose the Czech republic earlier?  She's entirely reactive and came off as if the Czech Republic was a last minute desperation ploy.

She also perfectly grasped Walt's megalomania.  The Czech Republic deal, more than just being immensely profitable, appealed to Walt's desire for worldwide empire, much more than something like even expanding into more U.S. states would.  I think she played him like a fiddle.

That's not grasping Walt's megalomania.  Lydia had nothing else to offer except the Czech Republic. 

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

I'm totally shipping her and Walt,

I guess you could say I'm shipping them too -- hoping they die together in some horrible retribution extravaganza.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

Lydia is one of my favorite characters. It was a brilliant bit of casting IMO and I would watch a spin off with her any day.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 4:18 PM

If she was that smart, why did she show-up to a meeting where she expected to be killed?

Because she needed those nine guys killed as much as Walt did.  Walt had the connections to make it happen (now she has those connections herself).  The problem was he would also kill her.  If she didn't show up, her life was over just as much as if she did and got killed.  She didn't really have a choice.  So she figured out how to get him to arrange the killings, the part that she wanted, while not doing the part she didn't want, which was killing her.

Sounds pretty smart to me.

That's not grasping Walt's megalomania.  Lydia had nothing else to offer except the Czech Republic.

Lydia specifically picked the Czech Republic for a reason that Walt appreciated.  Math.  At least in this fictional environment (perhaps in reality), the Czech Republic had a serious meth problem, but really lousy meth.  I forget the purity she cited, but it was really low.  The really high purity of Walt's product made it very valuable in that specific market.

Lydia's "legitimate" job is logistics.  She does it pretty well.

icouldntresist

icouldntresist

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

She's going to be the incompetent and reckless drug lord who winds up surviving but ending up all on her own. Her story might actually make a good BB sequel.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

I just realized (though probably others did before me) that I have a bit of a crush on her.

I think I need years of intensive therapy.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

You can crush on her all you want. Just make sure your life insurance is paid up.:)

I'll admit, she does have a nice pair of legs and they were smokin' in those Louboutins or however the hell you spell the name of those shoes. She still needs to die though.

Edited by Ohwell, Aug 24, 2013 @ 9:43 PM.

CaterpillarDays

CaterpillarDays

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 4:21 PM

I have a giant crush on Lydia and I don't even care.  

She's clearly a terrible person and I'm guessing that she'll either die or otherwise face serious consequences by the end of the series, which is completely deserved.  But as a character she is seriously entertaining and I love watching her.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 5:22 PM

As this series goes, Lydia is the most incredibly hot, attractive, UTTER MONSTER anyone SANE would run away from as fast as they could, into the fastest car they could obtain, to drive away as fast as possible, to a supersonic plane that could fly away faster than the speed of sound.

And yet, here I am crushing on her and wanting MORE LYDIA in these last episodes.  But please, don't kill me!  I'm not a loose end, really!

CaterpillarDays

CaterpillarDays

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

I've loved the actress since she was in Lip Service, so I was already primed to like her.  But somehow her quirky anxiety is seriously hot.  I missed her in "Confessions."

qtpye

qtpye

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 6:47 PM

I am a straight female and I have a girl crush on Lydia.  Her lines both terrify me and crack me up.  She might be the true nemesis of Heisenberg.

Windchime

Windchime

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 9:00 AM

I'm in the minority, unfortunately.  I get jerked out of the story whenever Lydia is in a scene, because of the jerky way the actress says her lines, as if she is reading them off of tiny post-it notes or something.  "This--is not--what I--signed up--for".  I don't know if it's that she has a hard time with the American accent or if she is just trying to convey nervousness, but it really feels like bad casting to me.

HelloPatti

HelloPatti

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

She's really scary to me - the best way I can describe her is "brittle". She looks like she's about to go batshit crazy at any moment (reminds me of when Gus slit that guy's throat - he looked all meek and mild until he just flipped)

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

I dislike the character and I dislike the actress' delivery.  I find Lydia a difficult character to watch.  Not sure if she is being directed to deliver her lines so or if it's how she does it anyway. 

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 5:07 PM

I hope this Sunday she dies a horrible death.  Time for her to take her Louboutins and go.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

I noticed something about Lydia I hadn't quite before.  She has the same strange hesitations and inconsistencies in her facial expression as in her tone of voice.  Some were speculating her odd manner of speaking was related to having to try too hard for an accent, but I think it's just part of her skittish, paranoid character.  She's constantly modulating whatever she says or does to see how people are reacting to it, perhaps because in the circles where she is traveling, that determines whether someone tries to murder her.

Consternation

Consternation

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 12:02 AM

I thought the makeup team made her look gorgeous this week, even with the lingering forehead respirator mark.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 7:37 AM

Yeah, Lydia is one cold woman who shouldn't be underestimated but I can't bring myself to hate her because she is smoking hot.  I can't blame Todd for wanting a piece of that.  He should just be smart enough to know that it'll likely spell his death.  But I don't think he is that smart.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 8:32 AM

I really enjoy the fact that Lydia's twitchiness is akin to a methhead; it will get you one way or another...........

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 9:37 AM

This bitch is like a New York City cockroach.  She won't die!

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

I believe Lydia is perfectly aware Todd has a crush on her.  I don't think she's disgusted, though perhaps not interested.  I think she's deliberately manipulating him with it.  Partly because it will motivate him to work harder at cooking better meth, and partly because she rightly knows that if push comes to shove, it might be good to have at least one person in Jack's family who will weigh in on the side of not killing her.  Having Jesse on the "don't kill her" side of the equation is what brought Walt along and why she is alive today.

Consternation

Consternation

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

How does Lydia launder her money?  Does she have some easy way, through the conglomerate, where she just gets it in the form of big commission checks or something?

I am afraid to tell you the reason I even started wondering this.  I'm not even speculating since I seriously doubt this, but what I kind of want now to happen is for Lydia and Todd to win and escape to some private island and drink pina coladas for all time.  Maybe she can actually legit retire!

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2013 @ 9:56 PM

Lydia and Todd to win and escape to some private island and drink pina coladas for all time.

That would be funny, but Lydia would have to overcome her extreme repulsion at being in his presence. And even if they did hang out on an island drinking pina coladas,Todd would always be apologizing for how they were  made and asking Lydia if she wanted him to try again so he could get it right this time. And then she would have to kill him for driving her batty. So maybe that would be a good ending!