Bad Ink

• Please log in to reply

35 replies to this topic

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

Set against the glitzy backdrop of Las Vegas, also known as "the mistake capital of the world," Bad Ink is a buddy comedy featuring renowned tattoo artist Dirk Vermin and his trusted sidekick and best friend of 20 years, Ruckus.

Description from A & E Tv website.

I really like these guys. They are interesting, artistic and seem like salt of the earth. And Ruckus is an animal rescuer at heart. 

They redo bad tattoos in Las Vegas. I'm looking forward to more episodes.

miclogger

miclogger

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 1:24 PM

I liked it too! I ended up just having A&E on when it came on, and I kind of couldn't quit looking at it. They seemed like stand up guys, they had a funny back and forth between the two of them, and hearing some of the how and why that goes in to what they do was cool. I'll watch it again, for sure!

The lady with the skull and cross bones tattoo was about to do my head in, though. Heh...

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

Oh yeah, Teacher Wendy with the pirate tattoo, mini fan and never ending whine!  She was very annoying.

The only tattoo I really didn't like was the one which covered the Pam Anderson disembodied head tramp stamp. The flower reminded me of Goatse. (Especially its placement.) I know: I have a weird imagination sometimes.

The guy who wanted to propose to his Polish girlfriend who vanished, by putting a tattoo by his crotch saying "marry me." Was she a human trafficking victim? Because why would anyone propose to a girlfriend with a "surprise while you're blowing me" tattoo? And why did he think that would work...and where did she suddenly go, that he couldn't reach her any more? He said INS but I wonder.

Something about his story was very strange. And the 'space flower' tattoo was nearly as bad as the one he had before it.

CoCoYoYo

CoCoYoYo

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

Missed this on A&E. How similar is it to Tattoo Nightmares on Spike?

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 4:14 PM

Haven't seen Tattoo Nightmares.

kazzer44

kazzer44

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 7:32 PM

I liked the guys in this show but I am not convinced that these are always real tattoos. The heart and skull/crossbones did not look like real tattoos to me. They appeared to be sharpie drawn rather than inked.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

I like the guys' personalities a lot and they play off one another really well personality wise, too. But their tats aren't the best I've seen - and I'm no tat expert, but I've seen a fair amount of them. Their tats are good, but not in the realm of "I've never seen anything that spectacular before." (So far at least.)

I was afraid the guy was gonna give his daughter a tattoo for her - what - tenth birthday? Glad he didn't.

I hope all of the fixes won't be giant flowers. I'd also like to see more of the thought process behind designing the cover ups.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

Their tats are good, but not in the realm of "I've never seen anything that spectacular before."

The problem is that they're coverups. The gang at Tattoo Nightmares has the same problem, but have had more episodes so far to explain. Unless they're dealing with something so difficult to cover that they're just going to drown the skin in fresh ink, making it obvious that it's a coverup, but giving them more freedom in design, the result is going to be a compromise.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

Unless they're dealing with something so difficult to cover that they're just going to drown the skin in fresh ink, making it obvious that it's a coverup, but giving them more freedom in design, the result is going to be a compromise.

Most of them were just black outlines. They could've been covered with anything if the artist was going to do a solid color overlay. Or so it seemed.

Edited by ScrubMonkey, Aug 13, 2013 @ 11:00 AM.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

That irritating teacher (I can't imagine letting her teach my kids) had to have been a set-up. First, the whole build-up with how embarrassing it was to have that tattoo and how shocked the parents would be and how difficult it was to explain it to children seemed a little over-the-top. I was expecting something triple-X rated. Second, if real, she had to be seriously impaired at the time she bought the tat in Mexico, because who would do that with a language barrier and not even look at the design first? But it probably couldn't be true because she asked for a "rosa y espina" in English  and she got "calavera sobre dos huesos." Even with translation issues, "rose" in English is not that hard for a Spanish-speaking tattoo artist to figure out, and it certainly doesn't sound anything like skull and crossbones.

[On a personal note, I resent media stereotypical depictions of menopausal women as all sweaty and crazy and I wish they would cut it out.]

miclogger

miclogger

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

I was afraid the guy was gonna give his daughter a tattoo for her - what - tenth birthday? Glad he didn't.

Oh my, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought that was how that conversation was ending. They show him doing what sounds like a fairly typical tat consult...and his soon to be 10 year old is on the other side. I was open mouthed staring at that part. I'm more type B than most moms I know, and even I wouldn't OK my very much underage child getting a tattoo.

Something about his story was very strange. And the 'space flower' tattoo was nearly as bad as the one he had before it.

My beef with the space flower was that it looked so feminine. That was one girly lookin' flower - the guys suggestions were nerdy as could be, but at least he a)knew his place, because he was one nerdy dude, and b)were masculine. Very few chicks lining up for Chewbacca tattoos on their inner thighs. Now dude's got a flower. It's better than "Nina will you merry me" by far, but it's still a flower.

And I didn't even think about the fact that pretty much every cover up involved a flower in some way (at least in the first episode, I'm having trouble recalling any from the second). Maybe it's just so much line, and so much color, that it's a good go to for that sort of thing. 

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 10:18 AM

Yes! I can only imagine his next BJ provider laughing her head off at the pale blue ginormous flower on his thigh. 

Chewbacca would've been WTF as well but, maybe not quite as much.

(BTW I'd like to add to the topic title...can't figure out how. Also taking suggestions for it.)

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

Yes! I can only imagine his next BJ provider laughing her head off at the pale blue ginormous flower on his thigh.

Too bad he couldn't have swapped flowers with the "Pam" coverup; at least that one had a phallic symbol sticking out of the middle.

hibiscuspeony

hibiscuspeony

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 3:00 PM

I liked the guys in this show but I am not convinced that these are always real tattoos. The heart and skull/crossbones did not look like real tattoos to me. They appeared to be sharpie drawn rather than inked.

ITA. On the show's A&E webpage there are pictures from the episodes. If you look at the skull and crossbones tattoo (the ninth pic in the line up) it looks to be drawn in with a pen. Same with the heart tattoo (the eighth pic). I think the monkey tattoo around that guy's belly button is actually a temporary tattoo.

And I'm not convinced that all of the "cover ups" are real either.

planetoid

planetoid

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 8:29 PM

The only thing I was impressed about was that one of the cover-ups remained small. Most of the re-dos on these danged shows end up being 3-4 times the size of the original.

Yes, it's pretty much the same as Tattoo Nightmares or America's Worst Tattoos. Lots of exposition and blather about how said person got said  tattoo and how it's ruined his or her life, discussion by the artists about what a difficult cover-up this will be, very little actual tattooing, jump to thrilled client reactions.

thunderwolf429

thunderwolf429

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

I really like the guys, but the tattoos are underwhelming. I've watched Tattoo Nightmares and America's Worst Tattoos, and I'm impressed with most of them, so it's not just the limitations of the cover up. The lion just looks like a big gray blob. But I'll still watch just for the two hosts. 

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 12:23 AM

If you look at the skull and crossbones tattoo (the ninth pic in the line up) it looks to be drawn in with a pen. Same with the heart tattoo (the eighth pic). I think the monkey tattoo around that guy's belly button is actually a temporary tattoo.

And I'm not convinced that all of the "cover ups" are real either.

It looks like the some of the original tattoos are fake but the "cover-ups" are real. If you look at the moles on Miss Helen's back and the placement of the crossbones in the tattoo, the cover-up doesn't cover part of the tattoo. That is skin showing through in that area. During the show I thought the skull and crossbones as well as the Merry Me tattoo were fake. The tats were too shiny and sat on the surface of the skin. Wonder if the show is produced by the same folks who produce Mystery Diners?

Of course I'll keep watching for the various trainwreck tats they look at on the Strip...

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 12:36 AM

I think the monkey tattoo around that guy's belly button is actually a temporary tattoo.

Is that why it was half worn away?

I really wished he'd stop showing his belly. There was nothing attractive about his belly. It even had big stretch marks. Yet he could not keep his shirt down. When he said women would be 60% more likely to go home with him if he showed his belly, I was incredulous.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

Yes, it's pretty much the same as Tattoo Nightmares or America's Worst Tattoos.

The main difference I see is that these guys take a much more casual attitude about their work - some might say unprofessional, considering that they sometimes make clients uncomfortable with their jokes and antics. I suspect that they were just trying to grab everyone's attention, and they'll be dialing it down as the season progresses, although not to the overly serious level of the others.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

New episode. This time I looked closer to see what looked real. Well I'm no tat expert but it had registered with a question mark in a prior episode when there was no redness around the 'fresh tattoo' - I've seen a tattoo that was done that day or day before and it's puffy and red around the edges.

Some of these looked real and some looked stick-on.

The giant cat shark tattoo was ridiculous. That time Dirk only had to put something else on or around the tiny kitten's head tattoo. No he takes up the guy's entire thigh, with an enormous cat shark or what looked to me more like a mutant catfish.

Putting a tiny scroll beneath the (not bad by the way) Swayze portrait tattoo was conservatively done and that one had redness around its edges.

The two aging 'party dudes' were gross, though. At a certain point it's not cute any more, guys. (If it ever was.)

The "Regerts" woman talked so fast I had to fast forward to the tattoo session. The leopard spots were okay, but again a lot bigger than I thought might be necessary.

The Dream Catcher guy - I thought he was gonna vomit. Poor kid. Again he ended up with a ginormous monstrosity.

I've noticed Ruckus never does a tattoo. Why is he there?

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 12:39 PM

They did better this week. I think all the bad tats were real in both episodes with the exception of the Tony Danza tattoo. The original had a lot of black lines but the dream catcher had a lot of bare skin showing through. Cover-ups usually end up being a lot bigger than the originals since the old lines and colors have to be incorporated into another design rather than just painted over. I chose to laser one of my tats rather than cover-up because the black ink ran and made a huge black blob. I knew it would require a huge cover-up.

I loved the cat tattoo. It went from a bad tattoo to a pretty cool one. I was glad it didn't win the "bad" contest.

I was wondering what Ruckus does too! I guess he is there for flavor.

JBL228

JBL228

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 4:57 PM

I have been watching this show and enjoy watching the two hosts, not so much the bad tattoos. I didn't know there was a thread for this show.

I too wondered if the bad tats and the cover-ups were real tats. They look so fake. They look like they were drawn with fine point markers and filled in with paint.

MyLisa

MyLisa

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 5:07 PM

Spike's Tattoo Nightmares is 100 times better, even with the cheesy re-enactments.  They spend far too much time on the build up -- cruising around town, finding clients -- then it's wham, bam, you're done, goodbye.  Not impressed, A& E.

JBL228

JBL228

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 5:15 PM

I got so tired of the re-enactments on Tattoo Nightmares, it turned me off.  I just want to see bad tats, maybe a small synopsis of why a tattoo was chosen to begin with or what the circumstances were in getting a tattoo. The re-enactments remind me of those medical shows where someone has been impaled and they show a cheesy re-enactment of how it went down. I am not at all interested in re-entactments on any show. It is filler for the show, I get that or else it is a 15 minute show, but I just think the re-enactments are over-doing it.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2013 @ 5:20 PM

Yeah they could spend a lot less time talking to the client. And have one client per chunk of the show. Talking to one person for a whole chunk then spending the next chunk talking to them some more and doing the new tattoo is annoying. Cutting to commercial just as they are finally going to show the bad tattoo - which is the reason I'm tuning in - is annoying. 

Thank heavens for DVRs.

Psychobunny

Psychobunny

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

I'm not sure either why Ruckus is there except for character.  It's pretty clear he can't tattoo.  What bugs me most about this show is that it makes it look like these coverups are done in 5 minutes when you know that some of them take hours.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 6:52 PM

Yeah and the pain levels seem a lot less than they should once it's all over, too. None of them act sore.

The two episodes from last weekend: 

The story about the ex undercover cop and his bride was a sweet story. They seemed down to earth and happy to have found one another. It was about time he let his cop tattoo go, it looked nothing like him any more. And I can see why his fiancee didn't like looking at a hippie picking his nose when she embraced her husband. I was puzzled why they talked about an Elvis chapel though and then there was no Elvis impersonator in sight. It's cheezy! It's Vegas! It's a wedding! I want Elvii.

Ruckus strikes me as an underground comic book artist or something, artistic in some way. Can't he do something on the show besides quip?

I liked the old folks home segment too but the tattoo customer was definitely a plant. I mean, she was the only one that approached them that still had a spark in her eyes. She had the aura of fresh air around her. Hard to describe but, no way she lived in that nursing  home. 

Why are all Dirk's tattoos so freaking big? The body builder lady had two small eyes on her back - he covered the whole middle of her back and then some. The rosary tattoo for the elderly lady was huge and wrapped around her arm. She can't use that to count beads for prayer unless she is a contortionist. The cross on it was ginormous. The girl with the tramp stamp - that didn't need to be quite as big either in my opinion, and it looked like fungus.

Dirk seems so into the details of something that he seems to forget sometimes small and plain is just as good.

PrincessBubble

PrincessBubble

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 8:06 PM

ITA. On the show's A&E webpage there are pictures from the episodes. If you look at the skull and crossbones tattoo (the ninth pic in the line up) it looks to be drawn in with a pen. Same with the heart tattoo (the eighth pic). I think the monkey tattoo around that guy's belly button is actually a temporary tattoo.

The heart is a a stick on.  You can see how it's wrinkled on the top left of the heart and the side of the N in Nina. 

I  like the show, but I do think it's ridiculous to pass these off as real tattoos that they're covering.  

While I like the artists on Tattoo Nightmares the best, the reenactments ruin the show for me.   I prefer to watch America's Worst Tattoos.

00redsvt

00redsvt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 2:04 AM

I thought Wendy's was fake because if you notice whenever she's done and walking out, she places her purse strap over the shoulder he just tattooed and it manages to slide underneath her white bandage. There's no reaction from her, at all. I am well aware that cover ups hurt 110X more than originals (speaking from experience) and they're VERY red, swollen and irritated for the first 12-18 hours. There's no way she could've done that without experiencing some sort of pain. That was my initial thought anyways.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 2:38 PM

Yahoo ran an article which has snipped my last thread of belief in this show being anything approaching 'real.' I thought at least some of the tattoos were real. But some of the info posted here made me realize: The reason the 'replacement' tattoos are so ginormous and solid is because those are stickers. Otherwise the sticker could shift just enough that the real tat (or other sticker or ink) underneath could show through. Or maybe it would be too difficult to line up all the line work. So, ginormous solid color tattoo it is.

There was only one time I saw redness around a tattoo on this show too and that's the scroll they put under the Swayze tattoo. And even then one of their employees did the work.

Aside from obvious redness such as this one, which isn't seen in the 'sticker art' (I guess?) in this series, it became slowly clear to me that these guys are not even finding their own bad tattoos but copying them from somewhere else, so the fakes are not even original. Hmm, where have I seen those before?