Cutthroat Kitchen with Alton

• Please log in to reply

266 replies to this topic

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 4:14 PM

Did he really think that Sevan would use bologna by choice, or that Marr would have forgotten binders for her crabcake?

Being a judge on a show where you know there is sabotage but they're not allowed to admit what kind, yeah, I'd probably assume that was what happened too, but then at the same time you have occasions like the first one with the chef with the not-enough-lobster and the radish "salad" that was so not a side. That chef just botched the round, but if you're judging and trying to guess how they were hindered in that round, you might think she had ingredients stolen and was only left with said radishes, or something.

The point of not being allowed to tell him is so he is just judging the dishes at face value, not in the context of "so and so had a harder penalty". In Simon's case, he's judged enough of these sorts of shows and seen poorly though out dishes enough that he probably knows for every wacky dish that seems like you could guess the sabotage, it might just be that the chef was an idiot. So you give them the criticism straight up, and if it's something stupid they actually did, hopefully they learn from it, and if it were just an auction item, they don't take it too badly.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

I'm really surprised that it took me three shows to realize how stupid this is.  Sorry Alton, I'm out. 

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

FN posted about this show on Facebook and everyone was slamming it. So, at least I'm not crazy to not like this show.

Cattykit

Cattykit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

Last night's show gave just the tiniest glimmer of hope.  I floved the chef who gleefully kept taking his competitor's pans off the burner.  That's a cutthroat kitchen!  I'd rather see more of that than these stupid auctions that ensure none of the cheftestants' cooking skills remain in evidence.  Also, I thought this foursome slightly less obnoxious than in earlier eps. 

Is Simon Majumdar the new permataster?  Antonia was a placeholder?  I really thought they'd have a different judge each time. 

Edited by Cattykit, Sep 2, 2013 @ 9:33 PM.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

I agree that last night's was a slightly less annoying foursome. My husband is actually enjoying this because he watches it as a game, not as a cooking competition. It is more fun for me when I watch it with him.

Shutomei

Shutomei

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 1:04 AM

My husband also likes this show because he views it as a game.  However, I don't share his sentiment. 

dXw

dXw

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 10:08 AM

Chief McNutt should've put the Tuna on one half of the pan and the hash on the other OR just place a higher bid.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 12:32 PM

Did anyone recognize the guy who won from somewhere else?  I think I watch far too many cooking competitions and reruns of Chopped because it's got so almost everyone looks familiar.  I kept thinking I'd seen him before on some other show.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

Chief McNutt should've put the Tuna on one half of the pan and the hash on the other OR just place a higher bid.

Anything would have been better than putting a cold dish on hot bread and topping it w/ hot onions.

The winner seemed familiar to me too but i'm not sure if it was his face or his douchiness.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 5:50 PM

So is this show getting any better with more episodes under it's belt?  Should I tune back in or wait for the revamped Season 2?  Have they added the overlord voice from Sweet Genius explaining all of the auction items?

metrognome

metrognome

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 8:27 PM

Did anyone recognize the guy who won from somewhere else?  I think I watch far too many cooking competitions and reruns of Chopped because it's got so almost everyone looks familiar.  I kept thinking I'd seen him before on some other show.

The winner seemed familiar to me too but i'm not sure if it was his face or his douchiness.

I don't know about the winner of the latest episode, but I did notice that the French chef who lost out for his pizza with apple pie crust (courtesy of his competition) was also on one of the focus groups for the baked goods episode of Supermarket Star. This stinker of a show makes it impossible for the better chef to prevail. 

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

I did notice that the French chef who lost out for his pizza with apple pie crust (courtesy of his competition) was also on one of the focus groups for the baked goods episode of Supermarket Star. This stinker of a show makes it impossible for the better chef to prevail. 

I thought he looked familiar but, as I said, all of them are beginning to.  He was definitely the best chef of that group and it was crappy that he lost. 

I'd like the show better if Alton would shave.  I can't understand how he can look in a mirror and think those whiskers are flattering.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:53 PM

Yeah, not liking watching people act like assholes in the kitchen.  

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2013 @ 1:08 AM

I thought that I saw Penny from FNS in the previews. If they are planning on using her, they should consider Krissi from MasterChef. This would totally in her wheelhouse.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 8:44 PM

From the previews for Sunday's new show, it looks like Penny Davidi will be on. I gave up on this show after 2 episodes, but I'll record this one. I love the shot of her blender exploding all over her. I'll watch if I find out she lost. I know it's her schtick - but what an odious woman.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

Brian from the chicken dinner episode owns my local gourmet burger place, and I ended up watching the show in order to see him. I like Brian, but get that he can give off a bit of a weasel vibe, and knew he'd have fun getting to play a bit of a reality show villain, so this was a good fit for him. (Apparently production agreed when they found his audition tape from the Top Chef applicant reject pile, and gave him a call.)

In addition to owning a burger place, he also growing up helping out at his parents' Italian restaurant and deli, so it was pretty obvious he'd done well when I saw him since 2 of 3 challenges were right up his alley and he was quitter chipper about the show.  If he'd bombed out early on ravioli, I don't think he would have been so cheerful. He's also got some real cooking chops- graduated from Johnson & Wales, IIRC, and bounced around Seattle and the Washington location of Les Halles (cue hanging out with Anthony Bourdain a few times stories) before ending up back in the FL panhandle. I think he came back because his parents offered to help him get his own place off the ground.

Edited by selkie, Sep 15, 2013 @ 3:31 PM.

mauras

mauras

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

Dear Food Network,

Please do not ever put Penny Davidi on my television again.

Sincerely,

Everyone in the World

PS: But if you do have to inflict her on us, please keep having her lose.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

Did Penny lose? I recorded it, because we had company - I'll only watch it if she lost.

Jensplace

Jensplace

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

She made it to the finals, but did not win.

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 11:56 PM

She basically messed up by not getting yeast from the pantry. I wonder if someone could have made a popover batter and if that would work.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 12:23 AM

I can't watch this show anymore.  It is in no way an indicator of any of the contestants' cooking abilities.  I'm out!

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 1:08 AM

Tonight's episode was worth watching only to see Penny brag about her sauce, taste it, then turn the blender back on without the top, while at the same time grabbing the handle of the blender pitcher, spilling hot sauce all over herself and knocking the blender in the trash. 

She then continued that portion of the episode looking like she had vomitted all over her shirt.   Too bad they let her change before the next challenge.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 8:51 AM

Does Penny know that she's cast every time for us to cheer when she loses? That's a pretty desperate way to get your mug on TV.

The combination of factors make it impossible to strategize your way into winning, or to cook your way into winning. It's simply a game of luck, or trying to get rid of all your money in order to win for nothing but the glory. It's really the stupidest game show on TV, and I only wind up watching it because it's on after "Food Truck Race" and I'm too lazy on a Sunday night to change the channel.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

I certainly agree that this is a pathetic show. I only watched because I wanted to see Penny Davidi being obnoxious as only she can be. I think FN has given her more chances to be on television than she deserves. Not that I think the other contestants were so great. Let's hope this show is a one-season "wonder".

BizarroElaine

BizarroElaine

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 1:15 PM

Another losing performance by Penny on Food Network, but did anyone notice she used her tongs on the donuts in the last round after she was supposed to be using foil for her hand tools? Seems like cheating is something she would do, so I wasn't shocked. I can see I'm not the only one who doesn't like her.

phoenix780

phoenix780

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

I actually find myself liking the concept, in a way.  

I'm not quite clear on the money because it seems like people end up with more than I think they should have at the end, but my math skills are terrible.  And is this prize more than Chopped?  That seems...crappy, imho.

My problem is with the execution.  I don't get what Alton is trying to do with his performance, and it seems like the contestants never shut up.  Like last night with Penny (who I liked on FNS, for some reason).  Why the hell was she talking so much?

I also think the sabotages thus far are a little...boring.  The contestant randomly taking someone else's pot off the burner was much more entertaining for me than ingredient stealing or using foil as utensils.  I'm not sure what I'd like to see, exactly, but something a bit more...interesting, I guess.  

I'm also not seeing this as a long-term show.  Maybe the occasional special.

Psychobunny

Psychobunny

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

I find it amusing that Penny screwed herself more than any of the other contestants did.  All her problems were caused by her own stupidity.  Also, she needs to just put down the saffron and back away.

MuppetCoat

MuppetCoat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 8:54 PM

Another losing performance by Penny on Food Network, but did anyone notice she used her tongs on the donuts in the last round after she was supposed to be using foil for her hand tools? Seems like cheating is something she would do, so I wasn't shocked. I can see I'm not the only one who doesn't like her.

The boyfriend said he saw the same thing but I missed it. I wondered if it was just bad editing fromd before the sabatoge?

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

I loved this show for a brief moment when the blender threw up all over Penny & then commited trash can sucide to escape her. We feel your pain blender. Please FN no more of that woman!

SweetGAPeach94

SweetGAPeach94

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 9:53 AM

The boyfriend said he saw the same thing but I missed it. I wondered if it was just bad editing fromd before the sabatoge?         

Hubby and I had that same conversation. Then we decided that maybe the producers changed the rules of the game due to the frying aspect. It seemed very dangerous when the same challenge was given to another contestant a few weeks ago. She was literally burning herself trying to get an item out of the fryer with foil.