Season 2 SPOILERS and Speculation

• Please log in to reply

383 replies to this topic

SaabStory

SaabStory

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 6:47 AM

Season 2 discussions seem to be spread throughout the other threads.  I thought it might be a good idea to have one place to discuss season 2 speculation, casting news, etc. I can change the title to Season 2 speculation (or something else) if you prefer. 

Edited by SaabStory, Aug 7, 2013 @ 6:50 AM.

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 8:57 AM

Maybe Season 2 Speculation?  I think General Gabbery titles usually are reserved for seasons in progress [in my experience in re: other TWoP shows...]

aaraT

aaraT

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

Yeah, I concur, "speculation" is better for the title, and it might be worth adding a "[SPOILERS]" too...

As for S2 news, Lorraine Toussaint has been cast for S2 as 'Vee', a street dealer who recruited children to serve as runners.

We also have Taystee & Pensatucky being promoted to regulars.

jbd1263

jbd1263

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

I thought it was interesting the Tay Schilling said recently in an interview that things get very deep  in S2 for the characters but wouldn't go beyond that. They are obviously under a gag order from Jenji not to talk about the story arc for S2. Even Kate M. in a recent interview said as much so when asked about S2. Lots of posters have stated that Alex shows no remorse for have been a "drug importer". Alex probably has never had to really confront what those drugs did to people, even though she is in prison with a lot of women who got there just because of dealing with people like her. I think the new Vee character might just be the come to Jesus moment for Alex  where she will have to really confront her complicity in the drug world. It may be the beginning of the road to redemption for Alex.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

I renamed the thread as per request, and also started another one for speculation without spoilers. Keep in mind that casting news, interviews with show creators and cast, and previews and promos [i]aren't[/] spoilers, so discussion of them should no longer go here. Check the Spoiler section of the FAQ for details, and feel free to PM a mod if that doesn't answer your question.

swingkidpt

swingkidpt

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

Season 2 was actually filming at my hospital today. All I know is that there's going to be a flashback scene in a hospital with people (including a little girl) dressed as fairies. Unfortunately i don't know whose flashback it was, just that it wasn't Sofia's.

knots

knots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

Not sure if the article should have been posted elsewhere... I am freaking out to think clearly atm:

http://www.buzzfeed....medium=buzzfeed

"Prepon will come back for a limited number of episodes in the show’s 13-episode second season in order to resolve her story. And the door will be left often for her to return in the future. But the actress did not sign a contract tying her to the show for the upcoming season."

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 5:19 PM

Well, that sucks.

VayaZ

VayaZ

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 5:29 PM

What a fucking disaster! Why on earth didn't they sign her?! Boo! I was looking so much forward to the "will they won't they" dance for S2. not to mention seeing her develop as a character on her own.

For once the obsessive fans were right all along. Such bad news. :(

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

I'm hoping against hope that this is hardball for more money and not some sort of scientologist freakout over the gay content.  :/

I started watching this show without even knowing about this character, sure.  But damn, she's one of my favorites.  I don't think I'll still be as into it without her.  Chances are everyone wants a bit more money now that the show has landed the way it has.  Hopefully these are just contract games.  Otherwise I'm bummin.

DioxinBlues

DioxinBlues

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 5:58 PM

Why would the creators allow for the dissolution of their bread and butter couple? And why would an actress who has expressed nothing but great enthusiasm for her highly acclaimed role decide to forego returning to said role? 

Baffling. All around. And a serious disappointment. 

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

It's so weird.  She's been doing a ton of press for it very recently, like in the last week or so.  She's been so positive about the show, and the cast, and working with Taylor and everything.  And discussing things she'd like to see in season 2, like Alex's backstory.  I really hope it's just a money grab being played by her people [and I'm not unsympathetic to such a thing--they very well may not have been paid a lot for the first season, and now that they see how it's being received it'd be fair to up the ante a bit]. 

I really hope Netflix says something soon to make me feel better.  I'll be so disappointed if they write her out.  

staidanflakes

staidanflakes

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 6:18 PM

Oh wow that news really just ruined my week...at least my TV watching one. Serves me right for stepping into the spoilers thread. :(

I really can't believe the crazy obsessed fans may have been right...they were pulling stuff out of like thin air. 

I hope this doesn't destroy the good balance of the show; as much as I love the other characters, I equally love the Piper/Alex toxic romance as well as Alex/Nicky being lesbros. This just leaves me very sad...there's a reason I try not to get invested in ships...

Oh hey at least she isn't going to get killed off (RIP Tricia) so most likely transferred to another facility? Also, it bugs me that the article has a typo with "left often" rather than "left open." I'm assuming that's a typo at least.

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

Netflix should probably scrape a statement together soon...

They've been enjoying such great press over this show.  They might feel a bit at the moment like they hit a brick wall going 60 miles an hour.  This is going to dominate the conversation a bit until they clarify, either way.

AmoebaLobosa

AmoebaLobosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

I came in here, all happy and innocent.  My ignorance being my bliss so in my shock I'm stealing this reaction but I feel it's apt.  I THREW MY PIE FOR YOU!!!!

staidanflakes

staidanflakes

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 6:55 PM

It's interesting because I'm not really sure how the fandom feels about Alex or LP. On some sites, it seems all "I <3 Piper/Alex, Alex is hot, etc" and then on others, it's "Piper and Alex are the worst characters, I need more of the side characters, etc."

I just hope this doesn't ruin the show creatively. In all honesty, I can't think of many shows that have been better after having a lead character written off; I know this is an ensemble show, but her character was so tied to our "main protagonist." The romance and backstory was so crucial to the character's growth that it'd be hard to discount all of that, and I don't think that arc was complete. Well, I guess they have the few episodes to tie that up?

aaraT

aaraT

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 6:57 PM

HuffPo have said that Netflix have denied it...

http://www.huffingto...&comm_ref=false

I'm staying in denial until Prepon/Netflix/JK confirm it.

AmoebaLobosa

AmoebaLobosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 7:27 PM

Well that's not the most encouraging denial but I'll take it! 

I think it would suck if there's no more Alex.  Even if they have a few episodes to tie it up.  She's too involved in the story right now.  It's too soon.  TOO SOON!  I'm assuming they're keeping up with the 13 episode seasons, and I don't really think there would be enough for it to be resolved.  Although it would also make some sort of sense for it to not be resolved if Alex just gets transferred or maybe into protective custody if she testified against the more higher ups in the cartel.  It would be on the realistic side of prison life.  I hope it's not true.  I'll hope for the best and prepare for the worst.  I'm glad that they made the other supporting characters interesting because if I'm completely honest, even though I do like the character of Piper, I don't really think she would be enough for me to be excited to watch the show or make it any sort of priority to watch it when the new season came about.  She's just more interesting with Alex around in my opinion.  Also I love the Nicky/Alex friendship or whatever its turned into.  Different sides of the same coin.  They mesh so well together.

staidanflakes

staidanflakes

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 7:53 PM

You're more optimistic than I am...

Netflix said the reports are "not accurate. Our season is still developing and nothing is confirmed." Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I read that as them saying we won't confirm that she's coming back.

Haven't a lot of the episodes for this upcoming season already been written? 

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 8:04 PM

I can't imagine it would be the show's move to reduce her role.  I know response hasn't been uniformly positive to Alex but she is well liked by many, and perhaps even more importantly she's an integral part of the story they've told so far.  Honestly I'd be waaaay less surprised to hear they were reducing Larry's role, but this floors me.  It seems like it's coming more from Prepon's camp, so I hope they're just wrangling.  I'll still like the show, but I can't imagine I'll be this obsessed with it if they take her out of the equation.  That twisted, damaged, fraught relationship of theirs is like tv crack to me.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 8:15 PM

It seems like it's coming more from Prepon's camp, so I hope they're just wrangling.

The fact that her publicist didn't give a denial that their actor was leaving a very popular and buzzed about project makes me think it's coming from them. Seems like talks were on going (Netflix saying "nothing is confirmed"), stalled for some reason (money or contract length) and it's possible Prepon's team leaked this to show Netflix that fans really want her to stay and would be pissed if she left. I do wonder if it's about money. I'm assuming Netflix can't pay as much as network shows (no revenue from advertising) but I'm also assuming Prepon could live off of That 70's Show money until she dies.

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 8:27 PM

I think it's not uncommon for talent to want to renegotiate when a show outperforms expectations?  I've gleaned from various articles I read that Netflix actually hasn't spared any expense on this, but that doesn't mean the show's stars were making bank to begin with.  I'm guessing they were paid moderate money to start.  Maybe now Prepon's camp wants "hit show" money for season 2...

If she truly weren't interested in continuing with the show she really is a good actor, because she's seemed nothing but enthusiastic in recent press.  I just hope her people aren't being overly greedy and fuck it all in the process.  They may get their bluff called.  [all spec, obviously]

staidanflakes

staidanflakes

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 8:45 PM

The fact that her publicist didn't give a denial that their actor was leaving a very popular and buzzed about project makes me think it's coming from them. Seems like talks were on going (Netflix saying "nothing is confirmed"), stalled for some reason (money or contract length) and it's possible Prepon's team leaked this to show Netflix that fans really want her to stay and would be pissed if she left. I do wonder if it's about money. I'm assuming Netflix can't pay as much as network shows (no revenue from advertising) but I'm also assuming Prepon could live off of That 70's Show money until she dies.

I'm assuming we'll be hearing an official story from all parties sooner rather than later since this news broke.

I'd speculate that contract length would play a big factor in negotiations because LP has been on an extremely long-running show already and probably wouldn't want to be "trapped" on another one for the next 7 years. I think Jenji in interviews has mentioned that she'd keep the show going as long as it's wanted, and I don't think I'd want to hear that as an actor (and I sure as hell didn't want to hear that as a viewer). Show quality can go down quite quickly, and if I weren't desperate for the money (and I'm sure LP's doing fine with her 70's show syndication money), I wouldn't want to sign away so many years and potentially get stuck in a creative blackhole of a show. I don't think job security is that prominent on her mind (unlike a lot of the other OITNB actors). Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

That's a good point...it may be less about money [I agree that she's probably doing really well with syndication money] and more about not wanting a multi-year contract.  Maybe they tried to get her to sign for 5 years or something [pretty standard] and she balked at that.  But I wish she'd sign up for 1 or 2 for my little shipper heart.  

I know...I like the angst...It's a problem.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

Never mind. I'm not sure if this Prepon news is supposed to be in this thread.

Edited by DEM, Aug 14, 2013 @ 9:35 PM.

tinyscreens

tinyscreens

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

Wow, well, that's crazy.  Hopefully it's not true although I can see the dramatic upside to removing Alex from the show (if she's transferred or whatever).  I enjoy watching her and Piper together but it's hard to imagine them staying apart for too long and watching that fight/reunion dynamic play out over the course of several seasons would eventually be predictable.  Sexy but predictable.  Maybe I'm alone in thinking that ;)

A bizarrely deflating move if true though.

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 9:37 PM

Never mind. I'm not sure this Prepon news is supposed to be in this thread.

Well, it's kind of a grey area.  The show as of right now is kind of denying it, or staying mum anyhow, so this doesn't really count as show sanctioned news like the season 2 signings of various other actors.  Plus there's a heavy dose of speculation in all these accounts.  So maybe just as well in this thread for now.

Plus I'm still hoping some poor schmuck is currently pouring over Netflix's official statement OR trying to nail down an 11th hour deal for tomorrow's news cycle.

randomizer

randomizer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

I just can't IMAGINE why Prepon would think that this was a good move.  Alex is a terrific character--really nuanced, really compelling.  I was utterly convinced that Alex and Piper were being set up as the show's OTP, that a lot of dark drama and angst and such would ensue, but ultimately and inexorably they'd be pulled back together.  I'm not usually THAT WRONG about these things: even good television is still television.  Man!  I'm really bummed about this.  I've spent years of my life nurturing the hope that Alicia and Kalinda on THE GOOD WIFE were actually going to become a canonical thing, only to have any thought of that dashed by Julianna Margulies.  Piper and Alex gave me a *little* hope that I might actually enjoy another TV ship, and now this.  *Sigh*.  Actors!  Contracts!  I think I'm just going to stick with books from now on.  At least those stories have logical beginnings, middles, and ends 25 percent of the time!

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

I think it's not a done deal yet.  One side really seems to be playing the media off on the other side, which is sort of shitty, but also just how Hollywood works, I think.  I really hope we get better news tomorrow.  Otherwise this hiatus just got a lot easier, because I'll be a lot less excited for season 2.

jbd1263

jbd1263

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 11:31 PM

I just hope all the "unconfirmed" / "from a source close to the show" all ends up being a misunderstanding or a publicity stunt. There was speculation that the Alex character was only suppose to have a one season run. That is why there was such a "Never come to me, ever again"  by Alex to Piper in the season finally. Alex may have been scheduled to "pack out" (a term inmates are told to do do when they are transferring to another prison, being taken to another place to testify ect) in the first episode of S2 while Piper was in SHU over the Pennsatucky beat-down.

Once Netflix, Kohan and the rest of the producers saw how the Alex/Piper story arc resonated with all the viewers, they entered negotiations to extend Prepon's contract. The info about her arc being written out may have been leaked to the press to give Prepon's negotiating team better negotiating leverage.

I hope  there will be an announcement contract agreement in the upcoming days with Prepon's character secured as a series regular.

It makes no sense. Liz  Raftery (TV Guide) was in a twitter convo with AmFu re: Raftery's 3 day old interview with Prepon. Raftery says Prepon seemed excited to be gearing up for S2 and her story arc. Raftery is shocked by the news of potentially being written off the show.Here are the tweets:

Am Fu ‏@Amsaurus
@LizRaftery_TVG @LauraPrepon Where was this scoop 3 days ago, Liz? ;-) What happened in that interview?

Liz Raftery ‏@LizRaftery_TVG
@Amsaurus I was shocked. (And keep in mind Netflix is still denying this.) But when we spoke she sounded thrilled to be back at work on S2

@Amsaurus All I know is that when we spoke she sounded completely thrilled to be back at work and excited about Season 2. Sad news if true

@sha_verr Well Netflix is still denying so don't lose all hope