Teen Mom 3: Deadbeats, Drugs, & Domestic Violence (Again?)

• Please log in to reply

1239 replies to this topic

h1joly

h1joly

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 5:43 PM

And I think Nova is an extremely lucky baby to have 3 people care for her.

I do too, but then, isn't that kind of sad?  Every baby deserves to have a loving mother and grandparent, and multiple family members to offer love and support.  Yet in Teen Mom land, it's such a rarity that we are shocked by it and consider the baby so lucky.

Re: breastfeeding, I really think if you look at statistics for the demographics most likely to be teenage mothers and demographics least likely to breastfeed, you will find some similarities.  It is very difficult to breastfeed exclusively AND work/go to school, and would also require a breast pump and accessories, which are not cheap.  I doubt most of the moms who choose formula really sit down and weigh the costs of formula vs. breastfeeding.  Another factor is that once a mother stops, the milk goes away and she can't restart.  So it's not a situation in which the mom might initially choose formula, then switch to breastfeeding once those formula costs add up.  Once the milk's gone, it doesn't come back.  They would do well to consider cloth diapers as well, but I haven't seen or heard that suggestion come up on this show yet.

A lot of the moms on this show, though, I think DID actually start out at least trying, which is surprising to me.  Briana did in her 16&P episode, and Katie apparently breastfed for 16 months.  Not sure about the other two...

That being said, omg, this show was soooooo boring!  I don't know if I'll be keeping up.  Druggie boyfriend, the mumblin' cowboy, deadbeat Devoin and the fourth guy I can't even remember... so obnoxious, and all the girls seem especially dense (except for Briana--I think I'm only watching for her).

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 7:47 PM

I guess Katie figured if it worked for Farrah...

http://www.ibtimes.c...surface-1400587

augmentedfourth

augmentedfourth

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

Could Josh be less into Mckenzie? She is a grade A clinger. 

Mr. Fourth said the same thing, watched all of her segments with one eyebrow in the air, and then finally declared: "I would rather live with Jenelle than that girl."

When Teen Mom 2 first premiered, I said that those four just didn't seem to have the same charm as the first group (charm being relative, of course), but they eventually grew on me. It's because of that statement that I'm willing to give this group a try for a while, but damn if this group didn't initially come across as a black hole of charm and charisma. I barely remember anyone's name, and you can add me to the list of those who think Alex and Katie (?) look really similar to make things more difficult.

Even the boys seem interchangeable. I know there's Druggie Who Got a Haircut, The One With All the Tattoos, and Former Rodeo Dude with the wad in his mouth. If I think really hard, I could probably match them up to the girls they go with, but I can't swear I'd do so with 100% accuracy. Oh, and then there's Devoin, of course, who I only remember because the spelling of his name irks me.

In TM1, Tyler arguably got the "good guy" edit (and hell, even though Gary flung his fair share of shit around with Amber, it eventually became apparent that he did care for Leah). Cory was portrayed as the best dad in TM2 (and maybe even the whole franchise). I'm trying to figure out which one of these inarticulate allstars is going to get the good babydaddy edit in TM3, and I'm struggling.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

McKenzie is the most annoying.  Completely clueless about reality.  Granted she said she was a junior in high school still, but she is still clueless.  And a major airhead.  Doesn't surprise me that she was pregnant before and pregnant now.  She obviously doesn't know that "peg a into slot b" means baby.  And marriage or "awww, waking up to you every morning" as she said is NOT going to solve her problems.

I get Alex and katie confused.  To me, they look a lot alike.  I have to look at their eyes, thats how I distinguish them.  All I know is that one of them works 3 jobs and has a druggie for a boyfriend.  So once I get them straight, I'll have more of an opinion.

Oh boy, I didn't realize McKenzie was McKenzie when I read upthread that she was pregnant again - I thought she was the brunette with the smart sister, so confusing these girls... And oh hell no! Those two have the combined IQ of an apneic hamster, I'm concerned their babies will wear loincloths and drag large, wooden bats across the bare earth. Seriously though, is someone like a social worker checking in on them? I'm concerned that if a child gets something swallows something one of the parents will simply hold the child upside down and shake until...?

Ok, so the two brunettes are Alex and Katie? I'm still having a difficult time picturing them, but Alex (I think) with the 3 jobs, I got lost there a bit. For why does she have 3 jobs while she's failing school and doing full-time baby care, but more importantly: what the hell was that job she went off to that night? I could only figure she was doing "intro to pole dancing" and I'm not even being snarky, I just saw young women in s darkened room and they were turning in circles and moving their arms. I hope I'm wrong.

Even the boys seem interchangeable. I know there's Druggie Who Got a Haircut, The One With All the Tattoos, and Former Rodeo Dude with the wad in his mouth. If I think really hard, I could probably match them up to the girls they go with, but I can't swear I'd do so with 100% accuracy. Oh, and then there's Devoin, of course, who I only remember because the spelling of his name irks me.

It's even worse, they're practically all interchangeable and completely unremarkable. The producers are going to have to stir things up in the editing room or all hope is lost. And I had no clue that "Druggie Who Got a Haircut" was that guy, the guy formerly of the sad, orange troll-doll hair! No clue until the second hour of my second viewing (yes, I took a page from McKenzie and whatever-a-nickname-is-for-a-guy-who-chews' book and just stared at the wall apparently learning nothing the first or second time). The chew-guy really does a dead-on impression of any one of the hundreds of zombie extras on The Walking Dead, just with less emotion and far less drive and enthusiasm. I suppose there is more money in the TM business than as an AMC extra though.

mk26

mk26

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

I confuse Alex and Katie too. One has the decent bf that proposed, the other has 3 jobs and a live in addict that Im pretty sure bought dope on camera at an Allentown deli.

Briana never should have dropped the protection order. Punks going to be punks. Mckenzie needs to ask her tumbling coach to stop eye fucking her.

One of the brunettes needs to chill on coal miner boyfriend. She had that day long fit about her car. The dude is literally risking his life underground in a few square feet a day for his family. Get over your car.

tatum

tatum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

I think Katie is much prettier than Alex, plus her hair is redder. Alex looks pretty rough.

Was Katie's boyfriend lying about being hit by his aunt? In my state, cops don't have to be called in car accidents if no one is injured and there is no damage to property other than the cars involved. I thought most states were like that. Plus he later said the accident was his fault. I wonder if he clipped a pillar or something in a parking lot and that's why the cop was mad. His anger didnt make much sense if the accident happened how he said it did.

Either way, I think he could have been even slightly apologetic, but it was kind of crappy for Katie to start screaming at him for hiding it from her when she clearly saw it before she saw him and he was able to explain.

Fosca

Fosca

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 9:24 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems telling many of them apart.  And now that Druggie doesn't have his troll-doll hair anymore and he's with one of the two brunettes, I'm completely lost.  I think the one doing an imitation of Masha from "The Three Sisters" ("Ah, if I could only go to Moscow--I mean, Denver, all would be well!") who is with the coal miner is a bit skinnier than Druggie's girl.  And BleachBlond girls is with the cowboy who she wants to stop being a cowboy--best of luck with that one, girlie.  Do I have them correct?

I will say that Brianna is absolutely gorgeous, as is her baby, and I'm hoping things turn out well for her.  She certainly seems to be taking care of things, and has a helpful family as well.  She just needs to drop the deadbeat loser dad, as do all these girls--except the coal miner, who seems to be working his ass off for almost no notice/credit/praise.  Poor guy. 

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 9:26 AM

what the hell was that job she went off to that night? I could only figure she was doing "intro to pole dancing" and I'm not even being snarky, I just saw young women in s darkened room and they were turning in circles and moving their arms. I hope I'm wrong.

I think she's been dancing her whole life and it was a class teaching younger girls.  I didn't see specifically what she was teaching, I think maybe contemporary?

Mackenzie is another annoying one.  She just pushes and pushes her boyfriend.  Her mom did the same shit my dad did to my brother when he got his girlfriend pregnant. "Y'all aren't married so I don't want you to live together".  Never mind she's already had his baby!

Briana's mom looks like she can pass for Karina Smirnoff's mom.  I also laughed when the baby farted in the sisters face.

I think Katie is much prettier than Alex, plus her hair is redder. Alex looks pretty rough.

She does look rough.  I think Mackenzie looks rough in the face too.  Too much sun or something.

noodlymom

noodlymom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

So I fully admit that I wasn't paying enough attention during these 2 painful hours. Maybe I missed it but who exactly supports Gannon? Mackenzie is busy doing all star cheer which generally costs THOUSANDS per year. At minimum she is taking tumbling there which is not cheap and she wants to start competing again. Josh was maybe possibly getting a job? Why is Mackenzie not working, and why is she still doing an expensive, and pointless for the future, sport? [my daughter does gymnastics, dance, etc. I pay a ton. If she ever got pregnant in the future anything like that would GO as unnecessary]

I also get the 2 brunettes mixed up. Both are boring but the one with the druggie boyfriend is a fool. Give it up, that's what happens when you get pregnant and decide to keep a baby with an addict.

Briana- I like her (not enough to keep watching but I will keep reading this thread probably), but I got a little manipulation out of her filing the protective order. She never actually served it which makes it useless and makes her lose credibility for the future if she files another one. When he texted her something about the look on her face told me she only filed the protective order hoping it would get back to him and get his attention. So sad. I like her sister though.

sbeckam

sbeckam

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

Was Briana's sister making fun of the producers with her little "So, tell me how your day went, sugar." lol.

mk26

mk26

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:03 AM

Hey - anyone notice the one baby look at the camera and make a sour face? It was during the scene with coal miner showing the baby the ring.

MsRusty

MsRusty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:52 AM

I thought Mackenzie was so annyoying, I can't stand her already.  I feel sorry for the boyfriend-now husband.  He was so not into her, I wonder what changed.  I think this may be another Cate and Tyler relationship where Mac is holding on for dear life.

Nova's mom (sorry, names are not sticking) should have gone through with the restraining order.  I've already deemed dad hopeless.

tatum

tatum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

As far who is supporting baby Gannon, I remember Mackenzie was pretty adamant that her parents could not afford to support the baby and she and josh would have to work. However that was on 16 and pregnant, before she got picked for Teen Mom. Ten bucks says the parents are bankrolling via credit cards while waiting for Mackenzie's 6 figure Teen Mom 3 checks to roll in.

suzeecat

suzeecat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

What a depressing show!  Everyone seems depressed, half-asleep or half-drugged!  I guess this is the reality but it sure is depressing and/or boring.  The whole deal with Devon is whack.  What an stupid excuse to be an absent father, that his last name isn't on the birth certificate!  And, I get a gay vibe from him anyway.  I didn't really understand the point of the PPO - it sounded like it was just to get him to stop cyber-bullying her, but I think it would only serve to further alienate him.  Briana and her family just need to write him off completely, it's obvious he doesn't want to be a father and he is just bad-mouthing Briana to excuse his lack of involvement.  Let it go, whatever attention or support they get out of him will NOT be worth the effort, drama and unmet expectations.

The only very small bright light in this 2-hr. snoozefest was the half-hearted proposal, but the two could hardly look at each other and just seemed to be going through the motions.  Awkward!

And, Mackenzie - too funny!  "We argue all the time so we should move in together, then we won't argue so much".  WTF?!?!?

Bananabread

Bananabread

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

Alex is the one who looks like Lena Dunham.

it's one thing to have a dimwitted numbskull around your baby, but something totally different to have someone who you are reasonably sure is using heroin around your baby, something even worse to have someone who is using heroin living in the house with your baby, and something even worse than that to have a heroin user supervise your baby.  Why is Alex's mom so hell-bent and determined to give this guy these opportunities?  Why is she discouraging her daughter from voicing her concerns and protecting her baby?

JBL228

JBL228

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

Ten bucks says the parents are bankrolling via credit cards while waiting for Mackenzie's 6 figure Teen Mom 3 checks to roll in.

Which should have happened already since the series is over a year old.

Why is Alex's mom so hell-bent and determined to give this guy these opportunities?  Why is she discouraging her daughter from voicing her concerns and protecting her baby?

She must be whacked herself. The one thing that goes through my mind is, she wants Matt there because she might be able to get him to give more Teen Money to her and her daughter. A righteous and upright father would do what is necessary to care for his child, but in Matt's case, he is a drug user and he won't ever step up to the plate properly as long as he remains an addict. Look at Butch. Matt is the young Butch. If Matt is in her home, she can probably get him to give up some of that cash to her. Not that she doesn't have a right to ask since she is caring for his baby in her home.

ETA: to correct the names

Edited by JBL228, Aug 28, 2013 @ 4:35 PM.

mk26

mk26

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

I think his name is Matt. The girl might be Alex?

JBL228

JBL228

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

Thank you for the correction. I can remember names, it's who those names belong to that I can't remember. This TM group is one big blur.

iheartLA

iheartLA

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 5:27 PM

I don't know what to say other than I kept checking my dvr to see how many more minutes until this ended. Boring!

I guess I am shocked that they are all starting their children on solids so early. They were what, 4 or 5 months old? It's recommended to wait until 6 months so the gut and digestive system is mature enough to handle food. Also the carseat thing, tighten those damn straps! Oh, and props to Katie for breastfeeding. I don't like that this show (TM, TM2 & now TM3) focuses on the teenage relationships rather than the actual parenting, or lack there of. So this is what I could pull out of episode that actually involved being a mother.

Katie was quite boring. 

I really feel for the girl Alex, I can imagine that leaving isn't as easy as it sounds. I am sure she holds hope that he will change and believes the lies she is fed because it's easier than facing the truth.

Mackenzie seems like a sweet girl but she seemed to spend an awful lot of time out cheerleading instead of caring for her child.

Brianna, I didn't really like her saying she wished she got an abortion all while holding her child. Nova will see these tapes one day!

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 5:33 PM

The boys on this show are absolutely infuriating.  What a bunch of losers.  Where are their parents while they are wasting their lives?

This is the question I can never escape. Who raised these cretins? Where are Matt's parents? (Paying for rehab?) The only strong emotion I felt during this soporific show was the urge to throw something at my TV when Devoin was telling his boys that he wanted it to be all better with Briana. What are you doing to make that happen, asshole? Trashing her name on Twitter? STFU and don't claim that you have the slightest interest in that child.

h1joly

h1joly

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

It's recommended to wait until 6 months so the gut and digestive system is mature enough to handle food.

Introducing solids between 4-6 months is what our pediatrician recommended two years ago, though we waited until later.  Baby food containers have "Stage 1" for 4 months and up, and I'm guessing that packaging is the main resource these girls use for baby care advice.  Ugh, don't get me started on these car seats!

Brianna, I didn't really like her saying she wished she got an abortion all while holding her child. Nova will see these tapes one day!

No, not a great sentiment, but Briana also strikes me as the type to tell her daughter, "Parenting as a teenager was HARD.  So hard that even though I loved you so much, I sometimes I wished I had made a different choice.  That's why I worked so hard to guide you in a different way, so you won't repeat my mistakes."  Briana's showing much more maturity than the other girls, who seem to be convinced that if they could just "save up" and "get a place of our own," everything will magically work out and this cute little baby is the best thing that ever happened to them.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 6:06 PM

I will say that Brianna is absolutely gorgeous, as is her baby, and I'm hoping things turn out well for her.  She certainly seems to be taking care of things, and has a helpful family as well.  She just needs to drop the deadbeat loser dad, as do all these girls--except the coal miner, who seems to be working his ass off for almost no notice/credit/praise.  Poor guy. 

She really is gorgeous, I don't know how/why she settled for Devoin/Devion for even one night (can't recall if they had an actual 'relationship' prior to her pregnancy). I'm afraid none of these girls will ever really give up on the hope that the "fathers" will become fathers or partners - both the girls and the guys are trying to fix the broken homes they grew up in. I think the girls really do need the male validation and the guys, on some level, think if they get someone pregnant that they'll become more responsible and grow up. The bad news is that it just doesn't work that way

I feel badly for coal-miner guy, his whole situation reminds me that it's still okay to work a job that will likely kill you very young if there's a short-term gain of decent pay. I noticed his gf/fiancee (can't tell if that's going to stick based on the previews...) was adamant about having him not touch anything when he walked in the house, but damn, am I supposed to act surprised later when their kid develops asthma?? I'm pretty sure working overnight shifts for over a decade cuts the lifespan by 1/3 even if you luck out and don't get some other work-related disease. It sucks that these are often the only options for these guys.

That might seem harsh to the child someday if she watches the series, but, maybe she'll be busy repeating the cycle by then or have zero interest in the TM series which will surely be documented as the scourge it is by then, right? On the other hand, TM has white-washed abortion and never really given it much airtime. Like someone upthread said: this is the life you get when you decide to have a child with a teenager/addict/loser, and this life is the consequence of choosing to keep the child. This show really does glamorize the domestic abuse, addiction and just general nonsense of these teens because giving anyone a TV platform is everything to a lot of people (esp. the demographic this show aims for). I'd rather hear more of the moms talking candidly about abortion than endless hours of court visits, the inevitable lawyers and custody/child support problems, the verbal/psychological/physical abuse, and all the rest of it. The show kind of lends a moral angle to things in relation to their being something morally superior to a teen refusing to put a child up for adoption or having an abortion, like their struggle is a hero's journey, and it's a messed up message to be sending to the girls watching.

poeticlicenced

poeticlicenced

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 7:56 PM

THis show should be renamed Teen Boyfriend Drama. THe fact that there are babies involved seems to be an afterthought. It's all about the relationship drama between the baby mama and baby daddy.

McKenzie is so annoying. Her whiny voice just grates. Her BF is so totally not into her anymore. I bet during HS she was the cute hot cheerleader. Now she's what, an mom who shoudl have realy moved on from cheering.

Katie is cute but WTF is wriong with her bf (can't remember his name) I know he works nights, but he acts like he is half asleep all the time.

Alex I don't understand why she and her mom are taking care of Matt. She obviously is over him, and all it does is cause drama

Briana is beautiful, but very imature. Love her mom.

The babies are all adorable

BitterApple

BitterApple

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

God, this Teen Mom series is awful. All the featured girls are boring and stupid as hell and the guys are the biggest bunch of deadbeat losers I've ever seen.
IIRC Briana has already had another baby so it's nice to know she and her 'awesome' mom will have no problems using my tax dollars to support her illegitimate brood.

Why MTV is using two year old footage to scrape together a series is beyond me.

Brooklynista

Brooklynista

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

Briana had another baby?? Say it isn't so! She's the one I had the most hope for since her mother stresses her staying in school so hard. Please be wrong. I know the DitsyBell Cheerleader had another.

h1joly

h1joly

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 11:47 PM

IIRC Briana has already had another baby so it's nice to know she and her 'awesome' mom will have no problems using my tax dollars to support her illegitimate brood.

Briana does not have another baby.  She and her mom continue to be awesome.  Mackenzie is the one expecting, and since she is now married with Teen Mom dough rolling in, everyone's tax dollars are safe.

Wait... Devoin, is that you??  (couldn't resist!)

Edited by h1joly, Aug 29, 2013 @ 12:10 AM.

kp199

kp199

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 1:16 AM

I feel like a loser because I don't have any problem telling Alex and Katie apart lol. I guess I watch 16 & pregnant too often.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 1:17 AM

Why MTV is using two year old footage to scrape together a series is beyond me. 

Yeah, that is truly bonkers, especially with social media being the force it is and how MTV can't get enough of all of that stuff, etc. Are they doing this because they're trying to figure out who's getting arrested, going to jail, giving/receiving a beatdown, becoming an addict, etc. so they can get out ahead of it?

Edited by meisja, Aug 29, 2013 @ 1:18 AM.

JBL228

JBL228

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 1:42 AM

I feel like a loser because I don't have any problem telling Alex and Katie apart lol.

You are not alone. LOL  I just get the names mixed up.  To me, Katie slightly resembles Christina Ricci, minus the massive forehead. I think she resembles someone else too, but can't figure out who else she reminds me of.

THis show should be renamed Teen Boyfriend Drama.

I suggest Teen Money. But you are correct, the series showcases the drama between the teen parents instead of the actual topic of teen parents raising babies and the struggles they endure, but MTV seems to know they can't showcase that because these girls are not struggling, at least not financially. Their struggles are with their boyfriends, exes and/or family.

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 8:16 AM

This season is off to a boring start, but I still like these girls better then the Teen Mom 2 girls so far. Katie is still my favorite but Mackenzie is actually growing on me. I love Brianna's mom.

While Josh, Devion and Matt are worthless losers, I would not put Katie's boyfriend Joey in that catagory.  Sure he does not talk much but we have seen that he works a hard, dangerous job, moved out on his own, not only provides for Katie and Molly but Joey really of all the dad's loves his daughter alot. I so far see nothing about him, that is anything like Adam. He really seems to love Katie and Mollie. While I was not crazy about his way of dealing with the car, I would hardly call him lazy or unlikeable. Plus I find him the hottest dad on the show so far besides Ryan.