Total Divas: Where Scripted Meets Reality

• Please log in to reply

245 replies to this topic

AkaneKitty

AkaneKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

From the description on the E! website:

When you're a beautiful brawler in the WWE, it's a Diva eat Diva world!

This summer, prepare to get a look into the lives of WWE Divas like you've never seen them before! The new E! series Total Divas follows the lives and careers of the femmes fatales of pro wrestling, both in and out of the ring.

Follow the Bella Twins (Nikki and Brie), Funkadactyls (Naomi and Cameron), Natalya, Eva Marie and other ladies of the wrestling ring as they take us behind the scenes at their jobs and in their (sometimes public) romances.

Tune-in to E! Sunday, July 28th at 10/9c for the season premiere of Total Divas! Check out WWEDivas.com for even more Diva related content!

I'm here for the Funkadactyls only, And Nattie. The Bellas can go.

heltaku

heltaku

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:30 AM

As a fan of wrestling who actually cares about the (dismal) state of women's wrestling today, especially in the WWE, I'm very interested in this show. From what I've seen, the WWE Universe as a general whole couldn't give two sh*ts about this show and assumes it will be awful. E! and the WWE do seem to make strange bedfellows, but I'm jumping at the chance to see what life is like backstage, especially for the Divas. 

A pretty decent premiere episode, I gotta say. I don't find my opinion of the Bellas much changed after seeing this. They still come off as junior high-grade mean girls with limited talent, although I do have to admit what little training we got to see them do in this episode was miles better than anything I've ever seen them do in the ring. Natalya breaks my heart....such an excellent wrestler and a wonderful, classy lady who constantly gets shoved by the wayside to make room for the fresh, perky new talent. I love the Funkadactyls, especially "Naomi" (a.k.a. Trinity)  so I'm really glad to see them featured on this show too. Ariane (stage name "Cameron") comes off as the less professional of the two, which doesn't surprise me from what I've heard and seen of her. I have to say though, that it makes me laugh to think of Brodus Clay telling her that SHE is a sucky wrestler, considering how not-exactly-thrilling he is in the ring.

It's pretty freaking weird to see famous wrestlers just hanging out and being boyfriends. I love Daniel Bryan in the ring and he comes off as a really cool, laid back guy in real life. 

New girls Jo-Jo and Eva Marie seem to be potentially interesting, especially Eva Marie. IMHO, WWE creative doesn't know what the hell they're doing most of the time, especially with the Divas, and I support her decision not to go blonde. Rihanna Red was definitely more suited to her face and character. Her bosses may not like it, but I do think that a lot of the time the wrestler knows what's best for their own character and has to stand up for their vision from time to time. I know basically nothing about either of the new girls, but I'm glad they don't seem to be the kind to just roll over and get trampled by the immature jealousy of the Bellas. 

What I'm crossing my fingers and wishing to get from this show: not so much of the typical catty/romantic reality show crap and more looks at what life is like for female wrestlers and all the challenges they have to face on a daily basis in a business that often treats them as mere eye candy. Also, I hope to see glimpses more of my favorite wrestlers...I would love it if AJ Lee made an appearance or two, as well as certain other favs of mine (*coughcough* CMPunkSheamusKaneDolphZiggler). I saw Fandango in a brief clip from the previews, and I'm really looking forward to seeing that. That guy is crazy talented, as well as just plain freakin crazy.

So far, I'm keeping this one programmed on the ol DVR!

AkaneKitty

AkaneKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 1:28 AM

What I hope for this show is that Nattie(aho got pushed aside abruptly) and Naomi (who's waited so long to get an inkling of attention from WWE creative) get a chance to shine and that translates to good pushes on Raw and SD.

The Bellas already have everything. Top tier boyfriends and walking the red carpets and are too juvinelle for me. Only thing they don't have is the diva's title, which I hope they stay far away from unless Karma comes back.

It's going to be a strange disconnect with this show. They're treating the Bellas as top stars and queens of the Diva division while on Raw they barely get reactions. The diva who does get huge reactions isn't even on the show, and even Nattie and the Funkadactlys get more cheers than the Bellas.

I feel for Jojo. It seems like she has nothing to do since they're focusing all the newbie time to Eva.

MissingSorkin

MissingSorkin

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 6:55 AM

AkaneKitty, great point about the discrepancy between the Bellas portrayal on this show as opposed to their portrayal on WWE programming.

On the actual program ,they are an afterthought --- so much so that they hardly ever have stroylines within the "Divas" division, and often times accompany a McMahon or a cameo-ing celebrity for no rhyme or reason (ie "token hot chick" assignments).

I don't know who this show is for, as the E! demographic can't have that many fans aware of the Bellas, and the WWE demographic finds the Bellas horribly dull, especially considering they get to watch actual charismatic female performers (like AJ, who's in the midst of the best Divas' division storyline since Mickie got all "SWF" on Trish) on regular programming multiple times a week.

heltaku

heltaku

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

It kinda seems to me like the only reason the Bellas came back at all was so they could star in Total Divas in order to attract more "mainstream" viewers to the WWE. I really don't think it's a sound strategy, though, and I can easily see them being shown up and maybe even replaced by other Divas. If the show continues past a first season, I'd enjoy seeing a larger variety of Divas join the regular cast.

Ladybugnine

Ladybugnine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:16 PM

Hopefully, this show will "humanize" the Divas for the WWE fans who couldn't be bothered to watch. I have to say that I usually change the channel whenever the Divas appear on Raw in general, but I do tune in whenever the Funkadactlys appear. I feel for Nattie, and all of the Divas, because as we saw on Wrestlemania, they got bumped from the show, Bella Twins be damned (For as much push as they get, they got dissed as well.). On a shallow note, I have to say that they all look much better on this E! show than they do on Raw, especially "Naomi", aka Trinity -- she's gorgeous!

Edited by Ladybugnine, Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:21 PM.

Dream Boy

Dream Boy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:31 PM

This is so obviously scripted. And everyone is clearly playing a character. Yet, I'm still in. lol i've always been a Nattie fan since her days wrestling Kong in Japan and I've been waiting for Naomi to finally break out since FCW. So, I'm mainly watching for them. The Bellas don't bother me. They seem pretty cool when not playing up the "queen diva" role.

I also hope that this translates into fans giving a damn about the divas again. Because, let's face it, pretty much none of them are getting reactions except AJ and even hers aren't on the level of a Trish or Mickie. 

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

Apparently, if John Cena likes it, he'll put a ring on it. If he just wants to go fishing and tap it occasionally, he'll buy her a Range Rover. Feh, Bellas.

The more interesting story is with the Funkadacyls and Nattie. I can't bring myself to be interested in the "newbies".

Raid Maze

Raid Maze

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:22 AM

I guess AJ Lee, as the number one diva, is a little too good for this show?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

I haven't watched the WWE in a while(when I stopped, the Bella's were still fairly new to the WWE) but I saw the promos for this and tuned in.  I'm glad I did, it wasn't the everybody get drunk and then have a screaming match and do stupid shit that a lot of reality shows have become.

This is so obviously scripted.And everyone is clearly playing a character

I don't think this show is as scripted as you think and it may be the most honest and realistic of the reality shows.  The WWE came off badly, they clearly don't care about the woman's division or any of the Diva's especially poor Nattie.  And the drama with Eva Marie and coloring her hair directly contradicts the PR the WWE puts out in shows like Tough Enough where they claim a wrestler's persona is a reflection of who they are and they have creative control over their persona, blah, blah, blah.

I don't know who this show is for, as the E! demographic can't have that many fans aware of the Bellas,

There may be more than you think.  41% of E!'s demographic is male and 45% of E!'s viewers are 18-34. 

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jul 31, 2013 @ 12:23 PM.

AkaneKitty

AkaneKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

This is the disconnect if you're a WWE fan that was discussed upthread. AJ is the most popular diva (almost to the point I'm sick of her). yet Total Divas tries to portray the Bellas as Queens of the Diva Division when they can't get any reaction. In fact, Nattie and the Funkadactlys get more cheers than them.

The Bellas are only queens due to the fact of who they're dating and the hard on the WWE seems to have for them.

The only hope I have for this show is that it translates into nice things for Nattie and Naomi, who get crap to do on the main Raw shows. The Bellas can do their Twin Magic somewhere else.

I think I'll DVR this show. That way I can FWD through the Bella crap and only watch Nattie and Naomi.

unclejosh

unclejosh

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

Well that clip with Vinny trying to call out Brodus shows you just how much the business has changed.  Back in the day, this never would have been allowed to air and if Bill Watts was running the show, he would have had Brodus put a beating on him just to prove a point.  Or at least confront him.  You would never allow some citizen to threaten to kick the ass of one of your wrestlers on camera for millions of people to see, especially a huge one who has a bit of a rep for a tough past.  It basically makes him look like a punk.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 5:44 PM

Yeah, she is. She is the #1 diva on the roster: the champion, her merchandise is selling, the only diva the fans are actually giving two shits about...why would she want to be on a reality show? Besides, knowing AJ, she probably thinks she isn't interesting enough for a reality show. When in reality, the reason I started becoming a fan of hers was the fact she is a comic/video game nerd and doesn't look or act like any other female on the roster.

patternmaster

patternmaster

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

E! and the WWE do seem to make strange bedfellows, but I'm jumping at the chance to see what life is like backstage, especially for the Divas. 

I haven't watched a wrestling match in years, but I have to say watching the Divas has peeked my interest again. Getting a look behind the scenes and into to the ladies' lives is definitely something I want to see. 

it wasn't the everybody get drunk and then have a screaming match and do stupid shit that a lot of reality shows have become.

I was pleasantly surprised that the show didn't start off this way. 

I actually don't mind any of the ladies. The twins would have been lying if they had said they weren't threatened by Eva and Jojo. There is always someone I'm sure they know that  is  younger, stronger, and better looking wanting to take their place. 

Eva can definitely hold her own with the hair coloring issue and the twins acting bitchy at the party. Jojo is cute and sweet and can sing apparently so  the ladies will probably leave her alone.

Ariane's boyfriend did exactly what she wanted him to do, she could have held it together and told him what happened after leaving work. She told him then and there so that he would get pissed and call out the wrestler and that made her feel much better. Which is why she didn't  care about what Trinity was trying to explain to her. 

I feel for Nattie, she is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If she doesn't agree to chaperone the new girls or work at the red carpet she may get kicked to the curb. If she speaks up and says no she may get kicked to the curb. She really is stuck right now. 

I was surprised to find out the Wrestlemania is still very popular. It was messed up that the ladies were cut.

Raid Maze

Raid Maze

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 5:20 AM

Dave Meltzer's review states that the situation with Ariane's boyfriend wanting to fight Brodus Clay was real and talked about by many during Wrestlemania week. He said Ariane is too emotional to survive the WWE and that her boyfriend did her no favors. As far as the glamorous life the Bella Twins portray, he says that is not true, given long travel often in coach, long gym time, wake up calls, etc. He says Eva Marie and Jojo are not progressing as in ring wrestlers very well, but the show is grooming Eva Marie to be a star all the same.

AkaneKitty

AkaneKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

I hate when the WWE does this. They pick and choose who they want to be stars and throw everything behind them. Sometimes it works, but a majority it doesn't. Meanwhile others have to wait for a lucky break anr get some attention, but sometimes they don't get it at all.

As it relates to this show, I'm guessing Eva will get tons of time while Jojo is only shown only for a fraction of Eva's, then gets released soon after.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

I haven't watched a wrestling match in years, but I have to say watching the Divas has peeked my interest again. Getting a look behind the scenes and into to the ladies' lives is definitely something I want to see

Me too, at least until MNF starts up again.

He says Eva Marie and Jojo are not progressing as in ring wrestlers very well, but the show is grooming Eva Marie to be a star all the same.

No surprise, Eva is GORGEOUS and Vince McMahon is all about marketing.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

I can assume that these divas were picked because they have more going on in the personal life and/or more stories can be crafted from them.

There must be animosity backstage for the Bellas leaving, coming back and getting all this publicity. They are also dating the of the biggest stars in the company.

Eva Marie and Jojo cover the rookie beat where we can watch someone as they enter the company.

Natalya is a veteran who is getting married to a fellow wrestlers and had issue with her position.

The Funkadactlys have dating drama and they just beginning to show popularity.

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 11:14 AM

I thought Jon the Uso and Trinity were hilarious. Eva Marie already bugs.

tatum

tatum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

Apparently, if John Cena likes it, he'll put a ring on it. If he just wants to go fishing and tap it occasionally, he'll buy her a Range Rover. Feh, Bellas.

The more interesting story is with the Funkadacyls and Nattie. I can't bring myself to be interested in the "newbies".

Haha I loved Cena's non answer to Nikki at dinner. I wouldn't go fishing with you if I didnt really care about you? And she totally bought it. That or she figured out how desperate and pushy she was coming off as and decided to reign it in. I think Cena could do way better. Nattie was totally right- if Nikki and Brie didnt have the twin thing going for them they would go entirely unnoticed.

Jordan44

Jordan44

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

I've met a lot of wrestlers and most are nothing like their characters.  The Bellas act almost like their characters.  Really shallow and airheads.  In fact, they seem like the Kardassians of the wrestling ring.

Luciano

Luciano

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 8:19 PM

Cena's body looks freakish when viewed in normal settings. The other guys are big, but they don't look like a Rob Liefeld drawing come to life.

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 11:11 PM

I loved Jon making fun of Ariane on the phone. Also, no. That special made outfit was so ugly. If I were the seamstress, I would have denied fixing it too. Ariane was rude in her "apology". Eva Marie's dance audition was funny, and I got to see angry Stephanie McMahon. I'd watch a show of her scolding talent all day long. Cena's house was too awesome. You know his ex wife designed that. Had to be. I hope she gets great alimony.

anadyr21

anadyr21

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 12:52 AM

I really don't like these Bella chicks, especially the one dating John Cena. She can kick rocks. She can take Eva Marie with her. However, I will agree with Cena; Eva Marie is aggressive and attractive and it's very hard not to notice her. Can these Bella chicks actually wrestle, because they just look like models who can do 5 moves.

I wanted to like Ariane and I like her physique. But, I don't particularly like her personality. 

Can Trinity and Nattie team up and bulldoze a few Divas? I can get behind that. 

I love, love, love JoJo's hair. But, she needs a storyline.

That little clip showing JoJo and Eva Marie wrestling really sucked. Have they really only been wrestling for one month, or are they one month out of development camp (is it still OVW?) I haven't watched wrestling in ages, cuz I thought Fandango was the Disco Inferno from WCW.

Raid Maze

Raid Maze

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 9:45 AM

I was listening to Bryan Alvarez's recap/review and he said, obviously, the thing with Eva Marie looking to be Johnny Curtis' dance partner was staged, but the one moment of true emotion was her meeting Stephanie McMahon because the people backstage convinced her this was going to be a real meeting and Stephanie, who's very busy on Mondays, found time to just cut a promo on her. He also said week two is the first time the roster is getting to see the show seeing that they were touring overseas, universally hated, however, most would bite their tongue for fear of it getting back to John Cena. He also said Eva Marie is going to have a lot of heat on her for the character she portrays whenever she gets called up to NXT, while Ariane also comes off badly, it won't impact her because she's already considered crazy backstage.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 1:00 PM

Can these Bella chicks actually wrestle, because they just look like models who can do 5 moves.

I read somewhere that they were trained by Victoria, or at least at her training camp or whatever. I thought that was why she jobbed to them sometimes when they first aired on WWE.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

The Bellas act almost like their characters. Really shallow and airheads.

IMO that describes Nikki(the one dating John Cena) but her sister Brie seems a lot more cool and down to earth.

Ariana is ghetto. I know some people use that term as a criticism, I don't, IMO it's just a specific mindset like someone being a hipster, or goth, etc. And it's fine if Ariana is ghetto but Trinity is not and two people who aren't on the same wavelength don't need to be together, even if their "friendship" really seems to mostly be that they work together and occasionally talk to one another.

Cena's body looks freakish when viewed in normal settings. The other guys are big, but they don't look like a Rob Liefeld drawing come to life.
I'm not saying Cena is on steroids, I'm just saying the only other times I've seen guys with his body type, they were on steroids.

tatum

tatum

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 8:24 PM

I can't stand WWE though my husband watches every Monday night. However I have a weakness for catty reality TV and I am really enjoying this show.

I really hope Nikki Bella gets taken down a peg or two. She was so obnoxious when she was showing off Cena's house and talking about "their" lifestyle. It's your commitment shy boyfriend of 6 months, Nikki, what's this talk about this joint lifestyle?

Some of these girls are really pretty but the makeup and hair they choose makes them look so cheap. On that note, I wouldn't say Nikki needs to lose weight but I would definitely recommend she go up a pants size.

KatieMK

KatieMK

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

I have zero knowledge about the WWE, but I really like this show. It's so interesting and the girls are fun to watch. Also I know nothing about him but I find John Cena so endearing. He just looks like he'd be really nice to fans. Do not like Nikki, his girlfriend.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

I find John Cena so endearing. He just looks like he'd be really nice to fans.

From what I hear, he is really good with the fans (especially children). He does a lot of Make-A-Wish visits.