The Vineyard: Too Unrealistic to be Scripted?

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

I'm suspicious that no thread a day after the premiere means I'm the only sad soul watching this:

http://www.televisio...3-the-vineyard/

In my defense, I just like looking at the Vineyard. The 90210-lite plot lines aren't even registering.

Edited by huahaha, Jul 25, 2013 @ 12:37 PM.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

I watched it.  It had like 800 characters none of which were interesting.

So, your favorite plot point, guy gets mad at other guy for flirting with braid girl or guy gets mad at his friend because everyone knows he was kicked out of the coast guard (apparently for being at a party where people were drinking when he was underage which seems like a total lie).

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 12:04 AM

It was filmed like a Bravo reality t.v. show, but I think it was actually fully scripted. The hell?

dunno

dunno

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 6:04 AM

Yeah, it looked like they were going for "The Hills" vibe, but everything was obviously scripted, and their acting was horrible.

citychic

citychic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 8:52 AM

It's Scripted.

It is official, the Black Dog Restaurant and retail shops, home of the iconic Black Dog logo, will be at the center of the suds when "The Vineyard," an ABC Family channel "docu-soap" begins filming in May for the upcoming summer television season.

In a telephone conversation with the Times last week, Christa Matukaitis, a Black Dog spokesman, said all that she has been told is that the production crew is scheduled to begin shooting the first of eight installments on May 6 and continue through June 29.

"It is not a reality show," she told The Times in a telephone conversation. "It will be a scripted show."

mariposa

mariposa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

OK. Then just like The Hills. Or my personal favorite, Gigolos

I am not sure what Coast Guard policy is if someone is arrested. However, as I've seen in the paper, someone at a party where underage drinking is going on can (and will) be arrested, even if he or she is not drinking - and, if underage, will be charged as an underage drinker. "Guilt by association," the cop smugly told the paper. (IMO, this actually encourages teen drinking - if you find yourself at a teen booze party, might as well drink to make that arrest worth it!)

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

So, your favorite plot point, guy gets mad at other guy for flirting with braid girl or guy gets mad at his friend because everyone knows he was kicked out of the coast guard (apparently for being at a party where people were drinking when he was underage which seems like a total lie).

I can't stand when "reality" shows have one character tell another a HUGE SECRET THAT MAY NEVER BE REVEALED. On camera. With a crowd of production staff. Not to mention, all the Vineyard locals who are no doubt watching the show.

I'm pretty good at suspending my disbelief, but that's too much for me. In real life, when your friend tells you a secret on camera, you say, "What about the cameras? You know people are going to see this." I'm guessing that was the point, though. Dude gets kicked out of the coast guard and uses his 15 minutes of fame to spread a non-terrible reason around his hometown. People were probably thinking much worse of him.

In other news, the Vineyard Sound performed its role admirably. I could watch that all day.

"It is not a reality show," she told The Times in a telephone conversation. "It will be a scripted show."

The ABCFamily website refers to it as a "docu-series." That seems to be code for "we didn't hire real writers or real actors, but please follow along with the scripted acting anyway."

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

I really cracked up when Kat spent the first 20 minutes griping about being a poor island girl (she had to get her first job at 13 selling matchsticks in the streets of London to keep the family out if debtors prison), and then walked into a lovely house! That place was so nice and couldn't have been cheap on Marrha's Vinyard. So much for the born in the ghetto routine. Show, you need much better set decorater if I'm going to buy Kat as anything other than middle class.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 12:15 AM

OMGuh, fuzzybear, exactly!  Kat, the poor little orphan girl, was so bitchy to the little girl she was 'training', ostensibly because the girl "didn't have to work for money" (wtf?) and then she bebops into her family home.  Her lovely family home.  It seems to have walls and doors AND a roof!  The boy drama is boring, they all love Katie?

RubyRose

RubyRose

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 8:53 PM

This had  to be scripted, right?  Like how Jon and Luis accidentally brush shoulders on the ferry and immediately hate each other and how Jon immediately zones in on Katie and she just happens to be old friends with Luis but Jackie and Gabby never mentioned that he was going to be there to Katie.  If they were such great friends with Katie, chances are they knew Luis before too.  I kept thinking it was obviously a scripted drama filmed to look like a faux-reality series.  How do they explain a camera crew already set up in Kat's Mom's house when supposedly Kat doesn't live there or at the local party that Jon and the other guy tried to crash?

The only part that looked sincere was Katie's WTF face when Jon started rubbing the sunblock on her shoulders without asking.

The boy drama is boring, they all love Katie?

Katie's pretty but no prettier than the other girls, so I'm not sure why Jon fixated on her so quickly, especially with little encouragement from her.  The girls far outnumber the guys.

Given all the talk of the locals vs. the wash-ashores, I'm surprised they didn't set up a Romeo and Juliet scenerio with a local and wash-ashore romance.  Though it's still just one episode.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 11:58 AM

I was dying at the sheer awfulness of this show.  I'm having a hard time grasping what "scripted reality" means.  What's real?  Are the people even real?  Any of the relationships?  Goodness knows they are all terrible actors. 

Katie's pretty but no prettier than the other girls, so I'm not sure why Jon fixated on her so quickly,

Katie is completely "whatever".  If being thin as a brittle old stick is pretty, I guess she wins, but facially she's kind of jacked. 

DJ Radar

DJ Radar

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 11:06 AM

After Kats bitchiness to the girl she was training, I floved seeing Kats mom tear into her about her poor life decisions. This show appealed to me after I had been binging on some Laguna/Hills reruns but Katie is no LC and the bitchy girl is no Kristin. The show IS awful, but the scenery is nice, so I'll give it a couple more episodes.

Episode 2 musings: 

Found it a funny non-intentional shout out to the viewers that the other girls even ask out loud: What is the big deal about Katie? Why does every guy want to get with her?

Katie going to Jackie's mother for advice (vaguely references her past in NY again, which remains foggy. She had a job and a boyfriend of 4 years, but needed to do some soul searching so she came to work in the Vineyard for the summer. Did she quit the job?  And what was the job?)  Her whole back-story and long-term boyfriend are coming off a little phony like just a fake set-up for love-triangle drama. Will the boyfriend ever show up?

Pre-med John is nice eye-candy despite his douchiness.  Don't see him and gold digger-Emily lasting, but at least we don't have to see him

continuing to strike out with Katie.

Daniel triggers my gaydar, bigtime. Jackie seems nice, but Luis is obviously under Katie's spell so she's going to get hurt.

bojanglesthe4th

bojanglesthe4th

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 11:04 PM

Haha this show is so bad its good. Comedy of the summer! As a sucker for all Laguna Beach/The Hills type shows, this is right up my alley. Sophie was actually a pretty decent singer IMO.

DJ Radar

DJ Radar

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

It really is a comedy! The John -Emily hookup in the attic or whatever, was so completely staged. Like they would just happen to have a camera crew set up to catch them waking up in that small confined space! Jackie sure brought the drama after Sophi's performance! This was probably the best episode so far, way less focus on Katie, mutliple things going on, over the top cheesy drama and pretty scenery

Mike Teevee

Mike Teevee

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 11:52 PM

Do they have "Razzies" for television?

Laughably horrendous.

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

Good grief, why haven't I taken this out of my dvr???? This show is one step below watching Full House reruns. And yet I continue.

On a side note, I love that athletic-looking Cat is apparently a klutz on a sea kayak, with a frisbee, AND on a bike.

Oh, I just realized who Katie reminds me of! She has a definite Piper Perabo in Coyote Ugly thing going on.

Edited by huahaha, Aug 15, 2013 @ 11:27 AM.

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

I continue watching so others don't have to. This episode was actually cute, though I could've done without the random couple's wedding on the docks. Like we'll ever see these people again?

The faux "Lou is leaving" drama cracked me up. As if they're just going to write off their Luke Perry halfway through the season. 

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

I am not sure what Coast Guard policy is if someone is arrested. However, as I've seen in the paper, someone at a party where underage drinking is going on can (and will) be arrested, even if he or she is not drinking - and, if underage, will be charged as an underage drinker. "Guilt by association," the cop smugly told the paper. (IMO, this actually encourages teen drinking - if you find yourself at a teen booze party, might as well drink to make that arrest worth it!)

Or they could leave.

JustinCase

JustinCase

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 9:50 AM

I'm kinda mesmerized by this show and am sticking with it... Has there been any speculation about Daniel's sexuality? He sure gives off a gay vibe, and when John accused Daniel of "being jealous" about him and one of the girls, I thought, "Yeah, he's jealous all right... but not what you think, John!"

bojanglesthe4th

bojanglesthe4th

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 12:18 AM

Another solid episode- I'm impressed with the shows continuing to hit emotional highs and lows. Lou coming back was wayyy to quick though- glad he at least sorta joked about with Gabby. I love the moments of the show that seem actually real- like this week when they caught the fish, it looked to me like the actors playing Daniel and Jonathon were like "WTF we actually caught a fish! We were obviously just pretending to fish so that we could have a typical reconciliation scene and this rod is a prop...but nice you actually caught one! And all caught on camera!". They are actors right? Or at least all Abercrombie and Fitch poster models, come to life...

Sophi seems like a good singer but is probably the weakest actress of the bunch.

disgruntledlawyer

disgruntledlawyer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

This show has to have the worst reality acting I've ever seen.  And yet I still watch.  

I can't figure out why some of the girls seem so much older than early-mid 20s to me.  It makes all of this messing around with that John kid seem really strange, because he seems soooo fratty and young.  

Mike Teevee

Mike Teevee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

What happened to Taelyr? Or Tailer? Or Taylier? Or however the f**k she spells it?

Seriously, she has one scene every other episode. Why is she in the opening credits?

The better question is why I'm watching. Honestly, I think is the first "bad tv" I've watched since that High School Reunion reality a few years ago.

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

What happened to Taelyr? Or Tailer? Or Taylier? Or however the f**k she spells it?

The other actress of color (Sophi) sings and started up a lesbian relationship. Therefore, Taelyr's plot wasn't needed. See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TokenMinority‎.

Mike Teevee

Mike Teevee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

Oooohhhh, I had pegged Gabby as the lesbian. But it's Sophi! I'm still thinking Daniel is gay.

I'm embarrassed for the adult actors on this show.

LadyJaney

LadyJaney

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

The faux "Lou is leaving" drama cracked me up. As if they're just going to write off their Luke Perry halfway through the season.

Haha!  He so is the "Dylan McKay" character of this series.  He's cute but such a drama queen.

Found it a funny non-intentional shout out to the viewers that the other girls even ask out loud: What is the big deal about Katie? Why does every guy want to get with her?

Seriously, this is what I ask myself when I watch this.  Sure she is pretty enough, but nothing so outstanding from any of the other pretty girls they hired for this show.  She frowns an awful lot and seems to have a dozen extra teeth in her mouth or something that makes her hold her mouth a little funny.  Actually  there are a lot of teethy girls in this mix.

Good lawd with the drama of Lou and Jackie hooking up.  Correct me if I'm wrong but Katie and Lou were in no way, shape or form an item when he did this.  He told her h had feelings and she told him she needed space from it.  She had a boyfriend, he had no girlfriend nor did he have her.  Same with Jackie.  What they did happened before he and Katie "got together".  So why is she flipping out over it?  In fact as I see it, she has been making out with Lou while still with her long-time boyfriend.  She hasn't broken up with her guy, but seems to be Ok with her part in things.  She is more guilty than anyone because she wasin a LTR with someone and the others weren't.

Jackie always seems so desperate and about to lose her mind a little if the wrong guy rejects her.  I don't know about her.

If I had to peg someone as being the lesbian in the season, I would have picked Cat.  She just seems so tom-boyish and gruff sometimes.  Wouldn't have thought it to be Sophi.  But hey, whatever.

I like Daniel one of the best.  He's cute and sweet and reminds me of an old crush of mine.  Daniel might be gay, but I don't think even he realizes it yet if he is.

I know this show is so completely staged, but i still enjoy watching it.  I loved Laguna Beach and the Hills so this is right up my alley.  And as a MA native who has been to MV a few times over the years, I totally know the locations and the Black Dog especially.  I almost went there a couple months back, maybe I would have seen them there if I had.  When was this all filmed anyway?

Edited by LadyJaney, Sep 8, 2013 @ 6:34 PM.

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

Phew, it's over! Now I can delete from my dvr and pretend the whole thing never happened.

DJ Radar

DJ Radar

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

That was it?  Is there any chance of a season 2, or have the ratings been horrendous? I don't know anyone else that watches.  All the couples sure threw the word "love" around a lot that last episode. Way too much focus on Kat this episode. I liked the lighthouse. Gabbie and Taeyler may as well have gotten the Hills-style "friend of ____" tags for how little they appeared.  Sadly no final scene for my favorite charachter- Jackie's mother. For some reason, I found it hilarious when she told Jackie she was "screwed" after the whole mess with Lou.