Supermarket Superstar

• Please log in to reply

262 replies to this topic

Bean9879

Bean9879

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

I just made a concoction of chocolate chip cookie dough on the bottom, Oreo in the middle, more chocolate chip cookie dough on top. It comes out looking like a cookie cupcake.

That sounds amazing, and I will be right over! :]

call it a cupcookie.

That definitely would have made more sense with her whole deal. 

I honestly didn't really understand that girl at all. I can see how it's fun to have the "cookie/cupcake princess lady" come to your house for a kid's birthday party, but I don't see the appeal of buying her "party in a box."

It was never really clear what exactly was included in the box--I think she said the pan (?), and the cookie and frosting mixes, but that's pretty basic. Wouldn't a roll of cookie dough and a container of frosting give you the same effect for around the same price? 

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

When I saw the name of this show come up on the Food Network, I thought wtf? Supermarket Superstar? Why didn't they consult the branding/marketing guy to come up with a better name for the show? Sounds too silly.

Latrice's final peach cobbler cake looked SCRUMPTIOUS! She was the clear winner. Her packaging and price point were affordable, too. Buzz Butthead's expensive liquor cake idea was so ridiculous from the start I figured they didn't have many entries to be on this show. Almost $9 a cake? I'll put steak on my shopping list instead and buy Latrice's peach deserts

Melissa must have gotten a pink My-Little-Pony when she was a little girl and never grew out of it. The way she was dressed I was sure her flavor would be strawberry. I could see her idea being sold to little girls but it would never be a really big idea probably. The cupcake was a mini. It came with a pan, but is it a disposable pan or a re-usable pan. I get tired of waste in packaging for the sake of marketing. The flavor wasn't appealing to the mass market. And, it looked so-so next to the comfort food peach cake. On a side note, I love chocolate and butterscotch together. Toffee! Melissa should have known butterscotch would appeal more to adults since it's a sophisticated flavor.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

I had this on as background noise mostly. I am glad to see that in order to stay in front of a camera Chiarello is willing to be the douche I always felt he was.

None of the products seemed like they had anything going for them to hit the shelves and stay there.  For a baked good to work in my mind it either has to bring something incredibly unique and yet understandably recognizable to consumsers (something I felt that the Georgia specific Little Debbie approach of the winner really lacked ) or be something that consumers can adjust to their individual taste -- something the two losers seemed to completely not understand .  At all.  Butterscotch was moronic.  So was alcohol.  Instead both should have made a product that can expand to be flavors (a good simple vanilla that lets buyers turn it into chocolate or mocha or orange etc) seems like a no brainer to me.

I'm evil enough to wonder if Keibler watches it as it airs and wonders if the expiration date on her girlfriend role for Clooney wasn't somethign she should have fought harder to extend.

Ten episodes would mean that maybe they have six different initial rounds with a winner from each.  Then maybe three episodes where all six compete with one getting eliminated.  Then a finale with the final three?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 4:16 PM

It came with a pan, but is it a disposable pan or a re-usable pan.

My guess would be disposable since you get a pan with every kit. I can't see people going back for another kit if they get a pan they can use again, they'd just buy cake mix and canned frosting. Oh, and sprinkles. Gotta have sprinkles. :)

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

"Peachy Treecie"?

Gag.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

Yeah, that name didn't hit me over the head. "Georgia Peaches" then have "by Treecie" small underneath or something. That way if she branches out to blueberry, cherry or whatever, the name doesn't have to rhyme with hers.

boilergal

boilergal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 3:45 AM

Melissa should have known butterscotch would appeal more to adults since it's a sophisticated flavor.

Interesting.  My perception of butterscotch is that it is a more "kid" flavor since it is so ridiculously sweet. I don't find it sophisticated at all. But maybe I am projecting, because I LOVED butterscotch when I was a kid, but now I could give or take it.  Either way, I do agree that it has nowhere near the universal appeal of chocolate.

I'll give this show another shot, but I wasn't too impressed by the first round.  The only part I really liked was seeing how horribly they did at creating their own logos & branding because I'm mean like that.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

Once again, anyone not willing to take constructive criticism and advice from people who know what they're doing kills their chances. Once Dom listened and changed his chamale to chicken thighs, I knew he would win. I liked his package, too. The Portuguese lady was so hung up on having all that meat in there and stamping/pigeon-holing herself into the Portuguese corner. Stubborness won't get you very far in any business. But especially when trying to please the masses.

Russian lady reminded me of the Pink Princess in so many ways.

dfwabel

dfwabel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

Contestant #1:  A Russian Hot PocketTM with no seasoning

Contestant #2:  High sodium, Portuguese ChunkyTM soup

Contestant #3:  Only "original" concept

From episode 1 until tonight, I just noticed that all the brands in the "Logo/Banding Lab" were all from one parent company...ConAgra.

This show did not improve, it regressed.  

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

I totally agree it regressed if we are to get one kooky competitor who's stubborn, one moderately good cook who won't listen and one with an original idea each week. We can watch the intros and go to sleep; wake up for the end and not miss a thing.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 2:15 AM

They changed the format already, last week they didn’t have all three standing there during the initial presentation. I would think the first person up would have an edge on the other two because they would get to see the presentation & hear the criticism for their competitors.

I don’t really like any kind of fusion food, I wasn’t rooting for the Chinese/Mexican guy, so of course he won. I would never buy his food, I didn’t think it sounded good at all. 

The mentors trying to force that woman to make other kinds of soups was ridiculous, she knows how to make Portuguese soup, why should she try to make soups she knows nothing about? I thought it was a smart idea to think about expanding the line to other Portuguese foods, not soups of the world.She should have listened to everyone telling her it was too salty though, to me, that’s a big problem.

I thought the piroshkies looked really tasty, but MC trying to get her to add cinnamon or nutmeg to it was also ridiculous, if that was how it was made, she would have put it in already, the word “authentic” doesn’t mean add spices you wouldn’t normally find in it..

I would have bought the Russian or Portuguese foods, but not the winner’s.

Totale

Totale

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 10:31 AM

ALL mass market canned soups are dripping with sodium.  Go check the ones (if you have any) on your shelves.  It never stopped A&P from stocking them up until now.  I totally think the buyer was cued on the salt content the same way the focus group was, and that her real sin was standing up to Chiarello the Douche, and sticking with her vision of what she wanted to do rather than embracing his.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

I'm evil enough to wonder if Keibler watches it as it airs and wonders if the expiration date on her girlfriend role for Clooney wasn't somethign she should have fought harder to extend.

My, she's dull and stilted on this. Her IMDB listing shows 25 "actress" roles, but you'd never know it; she can't read the simplest line with any sort of life or inflection. I'm curious to see her on Hollywood Game Night, to see if there's any personality there at all.

That said, the concept of the show is really odd and not presented in any sort of compelling way, so it's a snoozefest all the way around.

And yes, Debi Fields is just plain frightening to look at.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 12:32 PM

I like good Mexican food.  I like good Chinese food.

BUT - the idea of a chicken kungpao tamale makes me want to gag. 

Now - spicy mexican flavors in an eggroll, I could go for.  Or a taco with, say mongolian beef.  But eggrolls and tacos do't hold up to the freezer like tamales do. 

I didn't like the Russian lady.  She obviously thinks the world is not good enough for Russian cuisine.  whatever.   And she should have listened to the comment about heels in the kitchen.  The mats they were standing on had holes for quick draining and cleaning -  not safe to get a heel caught in there.

Portugese soup?   I might try it at a restaurant, but, yeah, I'd never choose it off the shelf. 

Did the A&P guy have the option of saying "none of the above"?  Because that would have been the smartest choice.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

I think if A&P guy said he didn't want either of them, Chiarello would have punched him in the mouth. "What?? You don't like my chosen ones for this show? What's wrong with you?"

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

So A&P and its related stores has shrunk to less than 300 stores in the entire US? No wonder they're taking part in this show.

dfwabel

dfwabel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

OK, I am trying to solve the "purpose" of this show.  My thoughts in italics.

1. Lifetime approved this show this time last year with production being handled by the producers of "Project Runway"

So it is a summer show "bone" to them.  

2. I read this on FastCompany about how the show's co-creator took an existing product in the supermarket added ice cream and with capital got into Whole Foods.

No wonder why the Russian girl was remaking "Hot Pockets" and the Portuguese stew was a version of "Chunky Soup".

3. All the brands they have in the logo/marketing store are the current logos for all ConAgra brands.  

ConAgra will be the producer of the product as they produce private label items too

4. A&P has just 300 stores, but they are large enough to test market.

This is a ConAgra show in which they will place items in A&M to test out how to sell to other stores under another name.  

Also, 99designs uses crowd-sourcing too, which undermines design and takes it MUCH longer to produce. Nice.   

Edited by dfwabel, Jul 30, 2013 @ 9:05 PM.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

This show has an odd feel to it.  The set has all the warmth of an operating theater.  The two women look and sound like they're animatronic.  The newlyweds last week wearing little wedding veils was just bizarre.  Most of the contestants seemed like rejects from Cupcake Wars.  OTOH I've found it rather interesting if not compelling and I've agreed with the judges' decision each time.  I usually don't even turn my TV on on Mondays so this will give me something to watch.  I'm in for now.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

Debi Fields used to be pretty damn hot. Used to be.

seacliffsal

seacliffsal

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

I have to wonder if Lifetime thought they would get some prestige from having George Clooney's girlfriend as host.  The surprise for them?  Broke up before the premiere.

Then I wonder if Stacy thought that she wouldn't need the role of George Clooney's girlfriend once she got this job as host.

If so, they were both wrong.  She is really one of the most boring hosts of any show that I watch.

As for the contestants-so far none of the food has really seemed outstanding.  There is a huge emphasis on the contestants as home cooks.  I think it would have been more interesting with more at stake if they had allowed notable chefs to try to break into grocery stores.

whitby98

whitby98

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 5, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

Not sure why I'm watching this.  Probably because there's nothing better on right now.  I agree the show has a weird feel to it, very sterile. 

Peachy Treecie?  Sounds awful and yes, the packaging was UGLY.

On the second episode with international foods, I couldn't believe they were criticizing Portguese soup lady for insisting on remaining true to her heritage, and then told the Chinese/Mexican guy to be "true to your roots!"  So which is it??

AwesomO4000

AwesomO4000

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 12:22 AM

On the second episode with international foods, I couldn't believe they were criticizing Portguese soup lady for insisting on remaining true to her heritage, and then told the Chinese/Mexican guy to be "true to your roots!"  So which is it??

I lost interest when they got rid of the woman with the Russian thing - which I thought sounded awesome. I like that kind of food. Not everyone wants food that's super salty or spicy hot. In fact I'd go for the type of thing the Russian woman had - I thought it sounded delicious - almost every time. And compared to the other two things, it was the easiest to eat and most convenient. And if you want more salt or spicy - couldn't you add it yourself? (You can add salt, but can't subtract it.)

Once they got rid of the Russian woman first with the "focus group" complaining that it didn't have enough flavor, I watched a little more, but watching the two remaining things not getting any better - one still salty and one still messy - I turned it off before even finding out who won.

As long as they conntinue to use a "focus group" to decide things on this show, I'm likely to disagree with who wins, because my tastes don't mesh with the recent trends (especially the "spicy" trend which seems to be so popular right now.)

ALL mass market canned soups are dripping with sodium.

Which is why I don't buy any of them... except tomato soup, because I'll splurge my sodium ration for that (and it's not as bad as most). Instead I make my own soup (including the broth for chicken soups) or I buy low sodium stock and make the soup from that. Our grocery store has a brand of "unsalted" stocks called Kitchen Basics. There are 4 types - chicken, beef, seafood, and vegetable - and most have 8% or less of the daily intake for sodium content. They taste good also and are reasonably priced. So it is possible if the brands are willing to do it.

JadziaDax

JadziaDax

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 10:53 PM

The gluten-free woman had a nice story about making the dessert for her son, but then she said it was chai and espresso flavored? What kids likes that?

And whoever picked these 3 finalists to compete in the "natural" category must not like natural foods. You had a dessert, a dessert, and a cricket bar? Wouldn't it have been nice to include some sort of healthy frozen meal, maybe with a vegetable somewhere? Just a thought.

I was amazed that Apple Bomb lady called her business a "healthy food truck" when her signature dish was a 1260-calorie dessert! I know she said her friends all liked it, but I wonder how they must feel now. Didn't she say at the beginning that she had lost 100 pounds? I would think she would be more calorie conscious, unless she just wants to make everyone else fat. And I still didn't get how a baked apple wrapped in pie dough was supposed to be any more healthy or natural compared to apple pie.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 11:58 PM

I must have been out of the room when gluten-free lady's whoopie pie flavor of chai and espresso was mentioned. I know she's going for gluten-free but maybe she should have tried ginger snap rounds with molasses flavored cream. I liked the look of hers and figured she would win, but whoopie pie TYPE desserts are already a huge market at the grocery store.

I wanted to like apple-bomb lady's product, but I too didn't see how it was supposed to be healthier or BETTER than a piece of apple pie. Her apple wasn't cooked through, the dough was bland with too many calories, and her price was too high. I'll take a fresh crisp apple over that. She seemed nice though, but her product just didn't work. How about chewy apple cinnamon granola bars or apple cinnamon cookies? I'd hate to see her version of a pumpkin-bomb.

Cricket guy. I wanted someone to point out to him that soybeans are an excellent source of protein. We don't need to eat crickets. Soybeans are sustainable, healthy, easy to work with, can mix with other flavors well, etc. I'm definitely not a spokesperson for the soybean market, but I'd rather eat soybeans than crickets. Also, I've watched a few episodes of Survivorman and that guy has demonstrated how to prepare crickets if you are eating them. You have to remove the legs since they might get stuck in your throat. Cricket guy cautioned them of that exact thing before they ate them. If he is serious about using crickets, he should have prepared them properly before using.

Edited by SunShine Gal, Aug 9, 2013 @ 12:02 AM.

lilabennet

lilabennet

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 1:12 AM

He did prepare them properly before using them.  Stacy and the judge ate a whole cricket as a novelty, but in his product the crickets are ground into a flour-like meal.

Muffyn

Muffyn

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 2:04 AM

First time I've watched this show.

Cricket guy - Americans are already eating bugs in some packaged foods.  They are often used as coloring (as in Starbucks Strawberry Crème).  If he's smart, he'd work toward getting a name for cricket flour other than cricket flour.

The baked apple was just silly.  I used to make baked apples all the time.  This is an old dessert.  She could have done a half apple in each, trimmed the dough down so there was no overlap and added a decorative leaf cutout of dough on top.  Then again, since she was starting with pre-made dough, there's no reason why anyone can't just make them at home without buying them premade. 

The winner was clear from the first five minutes.  Not engaging. 

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 3:20 AM

How could the apple bomb woman think she was making a healthier apple pie? She had no idea of the calories in it at all, & she was acting like it was some low calorie treat. She didn't even know it was over 1200 calories (how do they figure that out?), and it was huge too. She was just kind of delusional about it. 

No way would I ever eat the cricket bar, I don't care how much protein it has, or about sustainability, or whether or not the rest of the world eats crickets. I'm not eating bugs.

jackjill

jackjill

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

Apple bomb lady was very focussed on how healthy the apple was...but everyone knows that the calories in pie comes from the crust, not the filling. So, you have a whole baked apple and it's not dripping in the yummy, sugary goodness that is the apple pie filling...but you cover it with enough crust for probably 2 typical pieces of pie...guess what, that's not healthy, certainly not better for you than a piece of apple pie. If she's using pre-made crust, it's not natural either. Fail.

I was curious about the chai-espresso whoopie pies too. For a kid? Gluten free is so hot right now, but there are already a bunch of gluten free treats at grocery stores. This had a been-there, done-that feel to it. 

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Cricket guy - Americans are already eating bugs in some packaged foods.  They are often used as coloring (as in Starbucks Strawberry Crème).

Yes -  red dyes are made from an extract that comes from beetles.   I found this out trying to figure out why I have allergic reations to so many cosmetics.  

The cricket guy DID address the soy issue-  many non-animal protein products are made with soy, and there is some concern (no idea how legit it its)  that too much soy can increase estrogen levels - a problem for men.  His product might catch on, but not with A&P - more likely with specialty stores that sell protein bars, or a website.  He'd need an endorsement from someone in the fitness comunity, and they were correct in that he needs to play up the protein, not the cricket element.

The Apple bomb?  Seriosly?  It's not new, it's not healthy.  A very similar product is sold by two companies I know of -  not a whole baked apple, but apple "tartlets"  made of sliced apples, caramel, inside a dough.   I just looked up the one sold by Omaha steaks - it's 350 calories!!   And, no, not considered a healthy option, just a dessert.  (a pretty good one, too, and microwaveable) Hell, Taco Bell sells caramel apple empanadas, I bt those are healthier than her "bombs". 

I figured they would end up with the "gluten-free" item, no matter what it tasted like.  They didn't even address the calorie count, though the fitness focus group did address the sugar content.  "Gluten free"  is becoming a buzzword for "healthy and natural", when that isn't necessarily so.  It does often mean expensive, though.   And I noticed the filling still comes leaking out when you bite into it - they look very messy. I cracked up when the task was to make something "healthy and natural", and the suggestion to fix the soft filling was to add a chemical stabilizer to it.

I predict if this product takes off, it will develop into a line of alternatives to Little Debby brand snack cakes - "Little Izzy's gluten free snack cakes" - marketed as a kids' snack.     first they have to find a way to make them cheaper, and then have different flavors.  Because, yeah Chai and Espresso are not most kids' favorites.  

I'm skeptical though -  I keep seeing gluten free crackers, cookies, snacks, at my supermarket, and keep reading people advocating gluten free eating, while doctors and nutrition experts say there's no evidence that it's healthier. 

zillabreeze

zillabreeze

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

Ah yes, backformore, the gluten free label is all the rage.  Looking at the ingredients will quickly dispel any notions that it equals healthy.  Look at "fat free" foods now and of yore - maybe no fat, but the sugars and chemicals are off the charts!  And on what planet are 3 little messy snack cakes worth $4.49?  But, like you, I knew the minute "gluten free" came up it was game over. 

Chick with the apple things - how could you have been savvy enough to lose 50# recently and not be able to at least ballpark the calories & carbs?

Why I harp on the reality shows is beyond me.  Every week the assorted shows seem to be scraping the bottom for clueless contestants to perform the stupid dramas.