Piper & Alex: We are never ever ever getting back together

• Please log in to reply

128 replies to this topic

CTMSW

CTMSW

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 7:09 AM

So adorable that they can make getting locked in a washer seem romantic.

aaraT

aaraT

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 11:16 AM

I love these two together, hope they aren't kept apart too long when S2 picks up!

The Actors bring a great chemistry to the characters as well.

BTW, Thanks for starting the thread off for me, CTMSW!

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 10:34 PM

Yeah, I love their chemistry together, even in the little moment they actually seem to really get each other. Alex seems to know Piper a whole lot better than Larry. I could almost feel sorry for Larry if he wasn't such a loser. Piper has agreed to marry him but it takes her all of a couple of week (after not seeing Alex for 5 or so years) to have sex with her. I think its pretty obvious that any connection she has with Alex is stronger than with Larry. 

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

I love these two. You can tell just by the way they look at each other that they have a deep history. It's great.  I hope they make up in season 2 (even though I love Nichols).

I also like that Piper is being portrayed as someone that likes who she likes, she doesn't need a defining label.

Edited by Sakura12, Jul 22, 2013 @ 12:34 PM.

LoganTheHuge

LoganTheHuge

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 6:26 PM

They're super hot. 'Nuff said.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 8:22 PM

I'd probably like these two together if Alex wasn't a drug dealer. Hell, a major drug distributor. And she's not sorry she did it, she's sorry she got caught.

SilkSpectre

SilkSpectre

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:45 AM

I'm not sure I see them in a LTR together (or with anyone), but the on-again-off-again has been pretty entertaining so far.

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 4:17 AM

I'd probably like these two together if Alex wasn't a drug dealer. Hell, a major drug distributor. And she's not sorry she did it, she's sorry she got caught.

Well she thinks the fact that she was good at it is justification enough. I mean she might be fair in thinking that people are responsible for their own actions and if they want to take drugs its their look out. She could feel bad about manipulating young impressionable girls into smuggling drugs but she might consider that they are responsible for what they do. But she at least she should realize that it was being a drug dealing that ruined her relationship with Piper, a woman who she claims to still be in love with. Alex accused Piper of being a "straight girl" when she left her, she didn't take any responsibility for the break-up. I don't think she considers how the drug trafficking affected her life.

jbd1263

jbd1263

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 5:16 PM

I'm not sure I see them in a LTR together (or with anyone), but the on-again-off-again has been pretty entertaining so far.

I have a feeling this on/off relationship will continue through out the entire series. Can you imagine how boring it would be if Piper actually marries Larry and there is no sex for Piper for the remaining run of the series. This would be a real downer especially if hot, hot Alex is just a few cubes down!

I think we might see Alex and Nichols  pair off just for sexual relief but I don't see them developing into a couple. I have a feeling Piper will view Nichols as competition for Alex and this will start the inevitable triangle maybe even a rift in the "family". Will Morello get jealous of Alex/Nichols too?

As for Alex and Piper in a LTR, I have posted over on general gabbery  my feelings about how they will probably have to extend Piper's sentence since in a recent interview Jenji Kohan said that she, Netflix and the cast are on board for a long run (up to ten years). It would be totally unfeasible to think they could stretch out a 15 month sentence for even 5 years. Let's pretend the series lasts for say 5 seasons and Alex and Piper do end up as a couple both about to be released. (Piper got time added/Alex got time reduced for good behavior). How would this be resolved? Think Alex would plan to go back into drug trafficking or has the 5 years  in lockup made her re-assess her life ambition. What would matter most to her: the money and thrill of trafficking or the committed love of Piper? I know I am way ahead of myself but I am already shipping this couple for the long haul!

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 6:58 PM

As for Alex and Piper in a LTR, I have posted over on general gabbery  my feelings about how they will probably have to extend Piper's sentence since in a recent interview Jenji Kohan said that she, Netflix and the cast are on board for a long run (up to ten years). It would be totally unfeasible to think they could stretch out a 15 month sentence for even 5 years. Let's pretend the series lasts for say 5 seasons and Alex and Piper do end up as a couple both about to be released. (Piper got time added/Alex got time reduced for good behavior). How would this be resolved? Think Alex would plan to go back into drug trafficking or has the 5 years  in lockup made her re-assess her life ambition. What would matter most to her: the money and thrill of trafficking or the committed love of Piper? I know I am way ahead of myself but I am already shipping this couple for the long haul!

The excitement I guess. She told Piper that if she wanted to nest and have babies she should go find Larry in their future talk.  Although she did say she didn't plan on doing illegal stuff when she got out but since she figures she was really brilliant at it I can see her getting into it again.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

I think we might see Alex and Nichols  pair off just for sexual relief but I don't see them developing into a couple. I have a feeling Piper will view Nichols as competition for Alex and this will start the inevitable triangle maybe even a rift in the "family". Will Morello get jealous of Alex/Nichols too?

I like the idea of Morello getting jealous, especially after all her talk of Christopher this season. I'm betting we get all the backstory on her and that relationship next season and Nichols will likely turn out to be right about him. I can see Morello easily freaking out about Nichols hooking up with someone else. This is the same person who got all upset because Boo teased her about being her secret Santa. She's always come across as an extremely sensitive person to me however much she protests about "not wanting to cheat on Christopha".

I don't see Nichols and Alex as any long-term thing either. I don't even think Nichols is after that. I think she's still in love with Morello and just got pissed off enough to run to Alex for sexual comfort. That will probably continue for the first few episodes of next season and then the writers will have Piper and Alex back on speaking terms and starting their little dance all over again with Larry back in the middle. I really doubt he's as through with her as he says he is. Especially if what Piper did to Tiffany gets found out. Something tells me he will feel guilty for rejecting her and come running back. Same with Alex. There is no way the writers are not going to drag out that triangle until the end of the series. 

jbd1263

jbd1263

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 10:46 AM

For all the new Piper and Alex junkies, here are a few new videos for that new ship that sailed on Netflix:

Here

Here

Here

Here and

Here

Enjoy!

What I find hilarious is there are no Piper and Larry videos...NONE! Anyone have any thought on a name for this new ship?

Edited by jbd1263, Jul 26, 2013 @ 11:21 AM.

aaraT

aaraT

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

Tumblr can't decide between Vauseman & Pipex, I like Vauseman better ;)

Edited by aaraT, Jul 26, 2013 @ 1:15 PM.

AmoebaLobosa

AmoebaLobosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 5:17 PM

I vote for Vauseman.

jbd1263

jbd1263

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

I like Vauseman too.

SilkSpectre

SilkSpectre

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 12:25 AM

I like the idea of Morello getting jealous, especially after all her talk of Christopher this season. I'm betting we get all the backstory on her and that relationship next season and Nichols will likely turn out to be right about him. I can see Morello easily freaking out about Nichols hooking up with someone else. This is the same person who got all upset because Boo teased her about being her secret Santa. She's always come across as an extremely sensitive person to me however much she protests about "not wanting to cheat on Christopha".

I don't see Nichols and Alex as any long-term thing either. I don't even think Nichols is after that. I think she's still in love with Morello and just got pissed off enough to run to Alex for sexual comfort. That will probably continue for the first few episodes of next season and then the writers will have Piper and Alex back on speaking terms and starting their little dance all over again with Larry back in the middle. I really doubt he's as through with her as he says he is. Especially if what Piper did to Tiffany gets found out. Something tells me he will feel guilty for rejecting her and come running back. Same with Alex. There is no way the writers are not going to drag out that triangle until the end of the series.

If they must, I hope they take a less obvs route and go for an Alex & Morello hook up to fuel the drama instead.

randomizer

randomizer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

Well she thinks the fact that she was good at it is justification enough.

One of the most important things that I see in Alex--and one of the reasons that I find her such a fascinating, complex character--is that she's very intelligent, and she values intelligence in others. She liked being a drug dealer because it gave her a chance to use her mind, to work out a really difficult puzzle in a way that few other people could have.  I don't think the morality of what she was doing entered into it: she just liked the feeling of being smarter than everyone else, the way a really good athlete enjoys the effortless feeling of running and jumping through space.  Consider what she said to Larry when she listed the things she liked about Piper: she was hot, she's read everything, and she's great in bed.  I think the "she's read everything" was pretty key.  A big attraction between Piper and Alex is that they each enjoy the intelligence of the other. One of the reasons Alex hung around a college town was to sneak free audits of classes and, I assume, be around smart people.  Alex is in many ways a frustrated person. In another life, she'd have ended up a lawyer.  In this one, she gets to be a drug dealer. 

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

In another life, she'd have ended up a lawyer.

Ehhh, a lawyer seems a little too 9 to 5, house in the suburbs for Alex. I think a high-end thief or maybe an intelligence operative are alternative career options.

MidnightFrost

MidnightFrost

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:38 AM

One of the most important things that I see in Alex--and one of the reasons that I find her such a fascinating, complex character--is that she's very intelligent, and she values intelligence in others.

Agreed. And as further evidence, she's become good friends with Nicky, whom Alex recognized to be well-educated in spite of Nicky's efforts to appear completely uncivilized.

staidanflakes

staidanflakes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 9:44 PM

I <3 Piper and Alex.

I don't find myself on many ships, but my god am I on this one. They have great chemistry together (so bravo to the casting people), and like someone said upthread, I completely buy their history together. They're equal parts hot and adorable, and much to the amusement of my lesbian friends, they're quite possibly my favorite ship currently on the air (only direct competition is The Americans).

I hope next season though we have Alex dictating the terms of their relationship. I don't like her romantically with Nicky (they're great as friends), but I like that she gave Piper that speech about them being done. Piper definitely had greater control over their relationship this season, and she made a decision when she chose Larry over Alex. I think inevitably they'll end up together again (or at least I'm really hoping for it), but I don't want to see Alex just roll over and let Piper back into her life. 

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

Consider what she said to Larry when she listed the things she liked about Piper: she was hot, she's read everything, and she's great in bed.  I think the "she's read everything" was pretty key.  A big attraction between Piper and Alex is that they each enjoy the intelligence of the other. One of the reasons Alex hung around a college town was to sneak free audits of classes and, I assume, be around smart people.  Alex is in many ways a frustrated person. In another life, she'd have ended up a lawyer.  In this one, she gets to be a drug dealer. 

Yes, thank you!  And if I weren't already sold on these two, that would have sealed it for me.  I *loved* that Alex mentioned "she's read everything" as one of the most compelling things about Piper.  I swore I'd never ship again, and I can only assume that real life Piper ending up with real life Larry means this shit is doomed, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

jbd1263

jbd1263

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 5:47 AM

and I can only assume that real life Piper ending up with real life Larry means this shit is doomed, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

OITNB is a fictionalized account of the book. This is the story of Piper Chapman not Piper Kerman. Piper Kerman and Nora Jensen only crossed paths in prison did not spend their sentences together at Danbury. There are all kinds of possibilities with story line when it comes to this series. I think Piper and Alex will play the on and off again dance through out this series. They might even get involved with other characters temporarily but eventually break up and fall back into each other. That is the way Jenji Kohan has set this up. Everyone is invested in the Alex/Piper  relationship. I can't find ANY board, post, tweet nothing that ever for a moment is rooting for Piper and Larry to work things out.

brave little toaster

brave little toaster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 7:49 AM

I totally agree.  I just am trying to be careful of my poor little shipper heart, because I have the worst fucking luck with lesbian ships [well, mostly because lesbian ships have the worst fucking luck themselves.]

But you have to think that Jenji Kohan takes the viewers' pulse and realizes she's onto something.  It may have been a matter of throwing the chips in the air and seeing where they land.  But Piper and Alex have great chemistry and a compelling dynamic.  They should work it for everything it's worth.

I'd heard the show had already wildly diverged from the book, but I wasn't sure that guaranteed us a wildly different ending.  Though why not?  It might be fun to imagine your own story having taken a completely different fork in the road...

I do sometimes wonder if real life Larry ever reads online commentary about how boring/annoying/whatever fictional Larry is and how everyone's rooting for the lesbian, and I hope he doesn't take it personally.  Heh.  [just half-serious here.]

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 8:55 AM

I never really noticed on "That 70s Show," but Laura Prepon is a terrible actress. She's the only bad actress on this show and she totally takes me out of it. I want to fast forward whenever she's on screen. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Also, the whole thing about nesting vs. a life of adventure is stupid. You can't actually live your life the way Alex described her potential life with Piper. A life of non-stop vacation would get boring really quick. Life needs structure eventually, and these women are in their 30s and in prison. Get your life together..

I'm definitely on team Larry. He's nice. Though Alex would probably be cool if played by a strong actress.

Edited by Funkybeat, Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:04 AM.

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Alex's life had structure. She seemed pretty well organized and good at what she did. She was travelling for work most of the time and not vacationing. 

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:40 AM

She obviously wasn't that good at what she did, or else she wouldn't be spending years behind bars. In one episode she stated that she was currently living her rock bottom, and now her plan is to pick up where she left off as soon as she gets out. Is that responsible for a drug addict/criminal, and would Piper be smart to go along with it? I really don't think so.
Also, probably because of Laura Prepon's lack of effort, I just don't buy that these women love each other. I really felt it between Piper and Larry in the first few episodes.

Edited by Funkybeat, Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:44 AM.

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

She was good at what she did, she was clearly loaded. She did a good job for over 10 plus years. If she wasn't meeting the grade her superiors would have quickly had her eliminated.

Also, Alex stays in one of the episodes that she has no intention of doing anything illegal when she gets out. She's probably not good for Piper. The chances of them having a stable relationship is pretty low but the fact that Piper is so quick to cheat on Larry show that he isn't the guy for her either. She doesn't find him fun or exciting, why settle for him, just because he is "nice"?

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

Exactly, Alex may not be the woman for Piper, but Larry is clearly not the guy for her either.

To me it looks like she's settled for Larry because he was safe. Sure she likes him but I don't feel that she's in love with him. Piper is flightly and consistantly changes her mind, she wanted to do the clense and forced Larry into doing it, then two days later didn't want to do it anymore. So Alex's life of constant movement and excitement appealed to her personality. She got bored when they weren't doing anything.

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 10:46 AM

I don't know. The cleanse is a good example of the fact that Larry is willing to do fun and exciting things whenever Piper suggests them. I think she could find a good balance with him. A life with Alex would be all reckless all the time, and it would end the same way it did before.
And I think the reason she was so quick to cheat was because of how lonely and yearning for human touch she was. She had already established a physical relationship with Alex, so it was only natural she'd slip back into that after months of loneliness, and two agonizing days in solitude. I don't think it indicates anything.
Larry loves her and is good for her.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

Larry's nice to her but Piper shouldn't just stay with him because he's nice. She's obviously looking for something else and that's why she got with Alex so quickly. She hadn't been in there that long to miss human contact, we've only seen 4 months of her time. Tastee and some others seem to be able to refrain from sex with other inmates.

Piper has a connection with Alex one that can't be denined. Alex isn't good for her, but she is in love with her.

And Larry to me doesn't really seem that nice. He's still living his normal cushy life living off his parents. Yeah he's lonely but his girlfriend is in prison. Their lives are not comparable. His continuous talking about her life for popularity and montary gain is making him look like an ass. She's what makes him interesting. When Piper told him she was worried about her life, he just rolled his eyes. She was in danger as we saw and he didn't care because she hurt his feelings. 

Yes she cheated on him, but I think she would've cheated him on when someone more exciting came around anyway.