Wedding Island

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Did anyone catch this last night? A woman named Sandy Malone is a wedding planner on a small  Puerto Rican island, which used to be in the hands of what I assume was the US military. Bridal parties fly in from the US, San Juan and elsewhere for destination weddings, and Sandy and her hapless husband and staff run the show.

Sandy is a cross between a bullfrog and a drill sergeant. I laughed my hind end off a couple times.

I think this will air on TLC at 10pm every Thursday night, but I'm not sure.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

I tuned in for a few minutes, but couldn't take it. She is too loud for me and so much bleeping out all of the cursing. I won't be watching.

kechara

kechara

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

I wonder how that Jessica girl will feel when her episode comes out.  and her sister

Edited by kechara, Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:34 PM.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:36 PM

I'm watching it again.  I like it.  I don't know how much was real, how much was contrived for a reality show. She may be loud, but shit gets done.  I can't believe she has to put out so any fires right before a wedding with all her vendors.  I understand there's not a ton of vendors on the island, but if that's the drill before every wedding, shit needs to be organized better. 

That asshole Jessica had like permanent bitch face.  I hope she felt like shit treating Sandy like that (over the phone, before she arrived), then realizing what Sandy did for her.  You just don't act that way to people.  What kind of a moron packs $30,000 worth of stuff, including your rings in a bag, then leaves it with the friends (or on the ferry, I couldn't understand what actually happened).  Why wasn't she wearing at least her engagement ring?  If she has that many snafu's on her wedding day, maybe that means her marriage is going to hell.

I also don't get how Sandy said she spent the first 10 years of their marriage being the Captain's Wife, but they had their wedding there 8 years ago?

I don't know if I could work with her on a daily basis with the combination talking, then going into scream mode.

She sounds like a cross between Sam Kinison and a Kardashian.  Um, Ok-ey?

I did laugh at her friends wanting to be married at 12:12 and she says, "they were actually married at 12: something..."

I also laughed at "I'm going to quote my favorite movie Bridget Jones, FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK".

Edited by ShaNaeNae, Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:45 PM.

Hoosier80

Hoosier80

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

Sandy had some funny lines.  I took her yelling as her way of venting her frustration; then she went on and got the stuff done. 

When she kept saying, as Jessica was getting married, we're losing the light, first I was saying oh shut up already.  Upon second thought,  I am thinking that she was anticipating Jessica bitching at her for the ceremony being so dark, either right then or later when she got the wedding video.

How drunk are you when you start spitting up blood? I've been around some pretty hardy partiers and never have I seen that.

emcmac87

emcmac87

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 12:54 AM

When she kept saying, as Jessica was getting married, we're losing the light, first I was saying oh shut up already.  Upon second thought,  I am thinking that she was anticipating Jessica bitching at her for the ceremony being so dark, either right then or later when she got the wedding video.

When I was watching I said to my boyfriend I bet she is one of those people who will complain/write a review for the planner/etc that it was "her fault" they missed the sunset and she "ruined" her wedding etc.  I was surprised the planner didn't say there is X minutes until sunset etc when she kept going in so the bride was fully aware of the timing.  Honestly that bride was kind of ridiculous from the beginning, complaining about a villa that was comped, wanting to look at pictures of the space, making the planner go take more pictures and then not looking at them while going over the pictures/space with the planner and saying "she couldn't visualize it" or something like that.  And who the hell leaves something valuable on checked luggage/with someone else etc unless you have to.  And why was she atleast not wearing the engagement ring, that seemed kind of strange.

I'm not sure if it was the editing or what but it seemed like the party where the sister got drunk was the day before the wedding and they mentioned she doesn't drink often and whatever.  If it was me, after I knew she was ok, I would have been piiiiissed that she felt the need to pre-game before coming and then drink a ton the night before my wedding to the point of sitting at the table and a minute later be throwing up later because you know he would have been hungover as hell at the wedding.  I was wondering if a combo of her being so dehydrated from drinking and throwing up(perhaps many times that were edited out?) led to either her esophagus being irritated or maybe her stomach lining and this led to her vomiting blood.  Obv going to the hospital was the right thing to do not matter what.  I did find it funny in a way that her fiance was trying to explain why she was upset by saying she has never seen her sister throw up blood before, because really have most people seen that? I was not aware.

In the back of my head I was still just thinking this bride has shown herself to be controlling, wanting things to be just right, kinda of a pain etc I would be shocked if after the fact she wasn't sooo pissed that she spent that party which should have been "about her" with the sister being drunk and acting stupid, throwing up everywhere, her and her fiance having to support her weight to move her around and a hospital trip.

About the other couple getting married when they mentioned the whole getting married at 12:12 thing my first though was wait do they want the knot tied at that time, the reading of vows to start at that time, to be pronounced husband and husband at that time etc and that, at least for me, unless it was maybe starting at that time, having something happen at that specific time would kind of mess with the mood in a way because what are you going to have someone with a watch stand there and then point and say annnnd go?  I am glad that they seemed to really enjoy their day and be very relaxed though

One more thought, when I heard the mention of lace on a cake I just kind of assumed it was piped to make it look like lace but apparently it was real lace.  Is that a common thing to put ribbon, lace etc on a cake and cut through that too?  I honestly just don't know.

groffo1

groffo1

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

The yelling just to yell gets old quick, but I admire her ability to get shit done when the people she needs to do the work are on their own schedule without a care in the world. 

Don't know how much I could take of diva brides a'la Jessica, though. And in the latest episode, she about had fisticuffs with the bride's family. 

But this show does prove to me that weddings (and funerals) bring out the nasty in most people, lol.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 7:01 PM

The wedding planner lady is so loud and annoying. The one I saw the other night she caused the maid of honor to run off in tears and

create a scene where the bride of course took her sisters side and almost had people thrown out of the wedding.

She just doesn't come accross as a people person.

jjj343

jjj343

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

One more thought, when I heard the mention of lace on a cake I just kind of assumed it was piped to make it look like lace but apparently it was real lace.  Is that a common thing to put ribbon, lace etc on a cake and cut through that too?  I honestly just don't know.

A very talented cake artist can create edible lace piping that matches a bride's gown.  But that takes a lot of coordination, talent and communication.  I don't really get the feeling that those things are in abundance near the wedding venue (although I really have no idea how talented the baker is - I'm not sure the wedding coordinator's request to put the lace on the cake was fluently explained to her in Spanish  and since the coordinators couldn't find the lace after the cake was delivered, I'm guessing the lace never made it to the baker).  

Honestly, the last thing in the world you want to ask is for a baker to take on a really ambitious  cake for a destination wedding in a fairly rural area.  It's best to stick to a simple design the baker can execute well.  When you are a bride planning a destination wedding, it is unlikely you would ever have a chance to meet your vendors (unless you fly out ahead of time) and see a portfolio of their work.  You would need to rely on your wedding coordinator to screen vendors and communicate with them, all of which could be an issue given how remote their location appeared to be. 

Edited by jjj343, Aug 1, 2013 @ 10:49 PM.

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 6:47 PM

Did this get cancelled?

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

I hope so. That lady is insufferable to watch.

scootypuffjr

scootypuffjr

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

So don't watch her.   No one is making you.

I rather liked the show.  Sure, she had a loud, outsized personality, but by God, she got things done, and sometimes under some very trying circumstances.  She had to deal graciously with some very particular brides and some outrageous, last-minute requests and always managed to come through.  If I had some event or job I wanted done and done right, to my particular specifications, I would absolutely trust her to do it. 

That said, if the show is cancelled, I won't exactly miss it, but would continue watching if it sticks around.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

I liked this show also maybe because it makes me grateful not to be in that business. I watched several back to back on demand and my memory is refreshed how demanding and clueless people can be. The family arrives with 4 extra adults and no reservation for a hotel room and keeps visiting with each other rather than worry about room and car? That Sandy got her stuff done and I have to say I think she spent money on stuff that was retail and will not be recouped.

I thought she showed real restraint when the brother said she should eat the money spent on the villa that skipped out on them, do you really want to do this on film??

Edited by athousandclowns, Aug 24, 2013 @ 9:11 PM.