1-4: "Black Cadillac" 2013.07.21

• Please log in to reply

31 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

Ray's family visits Bel Air Academy, while the other Donovans drive out to Palm Springs to visit Mickey's ex-girlfriend.

Brooklynista

Brooklynista

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Wait...what?

Now dad is clubbing with the gays? Now I'll be the first to admit the gays know how to party but that just confused me. But I guess you like what you like.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 1:11 AM

Both Jon Voight and Mickey creep me out but seeing him dance to some old school Heavy D totally cracked me up.

It was clear from Darryl's reactions at his mom's house that he did not grow up with siblings while Bunchy obviously did. That kind of mocking and teasing is inevitable when you grow up with brothers and sisters. Bunchy was being extremely immature but I loved when he and Darryl finally bonded over their mutual hatred for Darryl's stepfather.

dcinmb

dcinmb

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 7:39 AM

Wait...what?

Now dad is clubbing with the gays? Now I'll be the first to admit the gays know how to party but that just confused me. But I guess you like what you like.

Remember what he said in the second ep when reminiscing about his prison days?: "A mouth is a mouth."

I figured he was feeling "frustrated" because his ex rejected him after the kiss in the garage.

I'm glad Tommy Wheeler told Conor to tell Ray about the private screening at his house. Although it looks like that friendship may be over thanks to Stu's asshole son. Like father, like son.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 8:36 AM

Stu and his son are both little bullies who can dish but can't take it back.

I had to laugh at Conor bragging about knowing Tommy.  He was confident enough to share...too bad little Stu-brat had to spoil it.

Bunchy is still a 10 year boy.  His playing with the car window was proof positive that he might 40 chronologically but his mental age is definitely pre-teen.

preeya

preeya

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

Both Jon Voight and Mickey creep me out but seeing him dance to some old school Heavy D totally cracked me up.

Catch the Jon Voight shoutout?

give you what I got to keep you bubblin'
do me right, do me right, my lonesome dove

SunnyBeBe

SunnyBeBe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 12:30 PM

Okay, we've been warned about Mickey, but from what I've been seeing and hearing, I'm liking the guy more and more.  How bad can he be?  The guy with the baby admitted that they set up Mickey for a murder, Mickey helped his baby mama out big time, served a prison sentence unjustly, he's not hiding his love child.  Okay, he shouldn't do drugs with his son, but for the most part, his character is much more entertaining than Ray's wife. She give me a headache.  Mickey cracks me up every week.  Why did he pick a gay bar?  Does he have some kind of plan in mind?

Do you recall how he got rather quiet when the FBI man was bragging how he knew about the priest that Mickey killed (Oh yeah, that wasn't good either)? And he wants Mickey to deliver Ray, Ezra and the other guy.  Was he looking for someone to set this guy up? 

When Mickey was looking at the tapes in the car trunk, were those starring his baby mama?

Edited by SunnyBeBe, Jul 22, 2013 @ 12:31 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

Now dad is clubbing with the gays? Now I'll be the first to admit the gays know how to party but that just confused me

It makes sense to me.  He's spent the last twenty years surrounded by just men and we know respects gay guys.

How bad can he be? 

Like Bill Cosby once joked, grandparents are trying to get into Heaven(which is why they're so nice.)  Add to that Mickey having to spend the past twenty years with guys he was unfamiliar with before because of their sexual orientation and/or race.  I can definitely see him being more mature now.  Plus having to go without any family for so long most likely makes them appreciate them more now.

Janie1130

Janie1130

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 7:15 PM

Assuming that Mickey is supposed to be the bad guy, then why am I loving the character so much? Jon Voight is killing this role!

And Liev Schreiber is one sexy mo-fo.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 7:21 PM

Just once I want Ray to scream that if he doesn't answer his phone the kids CAN'T go to an expensive private school. And what's with making fun of the kid's name? Really hate Abby but I'm holding out hope that I warm up to her.

While I detest Jon Voight IRL I love him in this. He's terrifying! However if someone cuts off a parent it's not because they weren't allowed to go to prom, I wish someone would explain that to Abby. I get that she wants to understand what happened but seriously if he cut off his father something serious happened and you may want to give him the space to work through it before he feels he can share.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 7:52 PM

I don't think people like Ray ever explain anything. And Abby should know that with her history with him. He is what he is--and I don't thinkhe will ever let her into that part of his life. She needs to accept that, but then we would not have much of a show.

Those kids need NOT to go to that asshole school. The rich kids will make their lives a living hell. Calabasas is fine..heck, don't the Kardashians and Bieber live there?

Brooklynista

Brooklynista

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 8:34 PM

I love Sheryl Lee Ralph and I'd watch her in anything. Does anyone know if she'll have a regular run as Claudette?

Edited by Brooklynista, Jul 22, 2013 @ 8:58 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:33 AM

I love Sheryl Lee Ralph and I'd watch her in anything. Does anyone know if she'll have a regular run as Claudette

I don't know what the writers plan for her character in future seasons but according to an interview SLR did, she's just in two episodes this season.

I want to add I was perfectly fine with never having seen Jon Voight in a sex scene and I'll never forgive TPTB for making me see one.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:38 AM

What's the deal with the bugs in the hotel room?

Were they trying to blackmail the woman, who pleaded with Ray before scratching his face?

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:51 AM

I want to add I was perfectly fine with never having seen Jon Voight in a sex scene and I'll never forgive TPTB for making me see one.

Amen to that. I am now scarred for life.

What's the deal with the bugs in the hotel room?

Were they trying to blackmail the woman, who pleaded with Ray before scratching his face?

They wanted proof that she was having sex with someone else. Likely they were hired by her husband/boyfriend/girlfriend and didn't know if they would be able to get photographic evidence.  Of course, I can't rule out blackmail either given the way Ezra and the other attorney conduct business,

I love Sheryl Lee Ralph and I'd watch her in anything.

I was so glad to see her in this. I believe I first saw her with Denzel Washington in The Mighty Quinn. A highly underrated movie.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

OMG THIS!    

As that was happening, all I could think was "I hope the producers gave those two actresses a huge bonus for enduring that scene with Voight". 

I will not divulge what I think happened that caused Ray to hate Mickey so much, but I'm wondering who the first actress with the bullet hole in her forehead was supposed to be. 

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

Yeah, that was just ewwww,.....

Mickey was shown to be half-way decent in this episode.  I was actually surprised that he didn't flip out when Claudette pushed him away after he kissed her.  The last scene with him dancing at the gay club was pure gold!  Also it was kind of interesting that they played the Heavy D version of "Now That We've Found Love" at the end of this episode, while the O'Jays version (which I'd never heard before) was played at the end of, I think episode #2.  There must be a theme there.

I guess another theme of this episode was fathers and kids.  There was a lot of comparison and juxtaposition between Ray and his kids, Mickey and his kids, and the guy having the affair with the former child-actress and his kid (both of them are douches).  

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 6:40 PM

Mickey cracked me up with his reactions and comments at the meeting for Butchey(?).

Not really supportive but maybe a honest way to react to this approach to treating the victims.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 9:52 PM

preeya:

Catch the Jon Voight shoutout?

give you what I got to keep you bubblin'
do me right, do me right, my lonesome dove

I am sorry, I do not follow. Jon Voight did not play in Lonesome Dove, did he?

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 8:01 AM

No, but he was in Return to Lonesome Dove in 1993 (which was two years after Heavy D's version of Now That We Found Love was released).

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 10:04 AM

They wanted proof that she was having sex with someone else. Likely they were hired by her husband/boyfriend/girlfriend

That was my take on it as well.

Of course, I can't rule out blackmail either given the way Ezra and the other attorney conduct business

This raises a question for me. Are we meant to understand that all of Ray's business is somehow connected to Ezra and [Ezra's partner, whatever his name is]? Or does Ray also "freelance" in addition to being on Ezra and Partner's retainer?

Edited by Milburn Stone, Jul 25, 2013 @ 10:05 AM.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 10:43 AM

That phallic cactus gift was hilarious.

But I'm already tired of Ray's wife, the FBI stuff with Mickey, and I am not fond of the kids either.  So, that leaves the fixing, which we see less of than Mickey and he creeps me out.  The whole Donovan family creeps me out.  Not sure this is the show for me even though I really wanted to like it, ala the Sopranos.

Mickey was shown to be half-way decent in this episode.  I was actually surprised that he didn't flip out when Claudette pushed him away after he kissed her.  The last scene with him dancing at the gay club was pure gold! 

He's the only one on this show having any fun or joie de vivre in him.  Everyone else is so grim all the time.

Stro

Stro

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

Agreed, Izabella.  I'm done watching after 4 episodes.  Not enough fixing, and I can't warm up to any of the characters, they all suck.

Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

Not enough fixing

So very much this.  I've been hanging in there waiting for them to give us more of this, and instead they keep giving us LESS.  Hardly any actual fixing in a show purportedly about a Hollywood fixer. WTF?

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

Four episodes in and I just don't care about any of the characters.  I don't need to like them or cheer for them, but I want to care about what's happening to them - and I don't.  Ray's wife is by far the worst character, but I can't say I like anyone else all that much more either.  I'm done with this show.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 3:54 PM

I kind of felt there was a lot of emphasis on fixing in this last episode, principally because of the tension created by Ray's urgent need to get away from the Bel Air Academy to fix some shit and his inability to do so. Although the sheer number of minutes devoted to showing Ray doing actual fixing was small, every moment at the Bel Air Academy was about fixing, because it was about how the hell you balance work and family when you're a fixer. I found it pretty suspenseful.

Edited by Milburn Stone, Jul 25, 2013 @ 3:56 PM.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 5:02 PM

That phallic cactus gift was hilarious.

Especially in light of the much larger version standing just inside the door, that made the gift look like a puny carrot.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:42 PM

Also it was kind of interesting that they played the Heavy D version of "Now That We've Found Love" at the end of this episode, while the O'Jays version (which I'd never heard before) was played at the end of, I think episode #2. There must be a theme there

Interesting thought. By the way, The O'Jays were the first to record the song, so maybe they are going for the generational thing. Mickey is a man lost in time as a result of his imprisonment. He probably knows The O'Jays version of the song, while the more contemporary audience probably only knows the Heavy D. version, so his getting into the song reflects Mickey's attempt to find his place in this radically different and new society.

So co-sign on the Jon Voight sex scenes, mind bleach please. Was that scene supposed to represent that Ray has had the unfortunate treat on seeing his dad screwing one of his many mistresses?

I really would like to know what caused the massive breach between Ray and Mickey. Is it something Terry and Bunchie are unaware of. Because Terry is all kinds of awesome and I can't think that he wold be okay if he knew what Ray seems to know.

Speaking of Terry, I hope his relationship with the nurse progresses and remains on track. Love that Potato Pie was willing to make Terry's date work out well. Love that Terry was straight up enough to call Potato Pie out and invite him to join the dinner.

Sheryl Lee Ralph! Yeah! Hopefully she can become a recurring character on the show. I fricking love her! Is it me, or did Mickey look like he wanted to kill Starsky or Hutch (I forgot which character Paul Michael Glaser played). Maybe Antonio Fargas can be hired to play Claudette's brother.

Edited by ChainofFools, Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:43 PM.

ValiNorse

ValiNorse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2013 @ 10:57 PM

Jeez, Ray's wife gives me a migraine.  With her fake, fluctuating accent and her constantly nagging her husband over stuff he can't talk about (and she damn well knows it) I wish she'd get stuffed in a trunk.

Those kids need NOT to go to that asshole school.

Seriously.  Were the kids who picked on Conor members of the Westboro Baptist Church?  The way they were going on about Tommy was like something out of the 50's.  A bunch of knuckledraggers.  

The last scene with him dancing at the gay club was pure gold!

Jon Voight steals the show and I watch to see what Mickey will do next.

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2013 @ 11:37 PM

Did Ray really screw the stalker chick?

Abby should divorce him so I don't have to deal with her. She doesn't annoy me like she does most, I find her to be pathetic. I don't see why Ray married someone who seems like such a jelly.