R&B Divas: LA

• Please log in to reply

268 replies to this topic

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 10:57 PM

I think Stephanie Mills would be a good candidate for the NY Divas!  The most unique voice I've heard.  She can give the perspective of an older woman.

Brooklynista

Brooklynista

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

I'm wondering how much trouble Michelle is gonna be in for outing Dre as an abuser all these years later. And Wendy and her messy ass! I love her!

"Who beat you? Dre??, Suge?? I love that Wendy goes there. That's how you host a reunion Joe Clair! Ask the damn questions the streets are talking about.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:04 PM

Lil Mo can be a bit much but she was made for reality TV.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

I wonder if Dawn watched the reunion shows?  Her ears had to be buzzing from all the shade thrown her way at the reunion.  I wonder if she will address Lil Mo's and Wendy's statements about her being weak and the fact that she's been thrown out of every group she's been in and then quits the R & B Divas?

I wish they would have let Fred speak more.  Wendy brought him out, asked him a couple of questions, seemed to forget he was even out there, and then dismissed him...much like Kelly did during the season.  Poor Fred.

patternmaster

patternmaster

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

Uh oh. Chante Moore put out a press release regarding tonight's episode. 

Chante Moore don't play, she broke it down! Are Kelly, Faith and Nikki delusional? Exactly why would people pay to see stank ass Kelly, vile ass Nikki with weak Brownstone, krazy Keke and Faith who's voice has been shot for years. Of course they wanted to bring in Chante they know people will come just to see her. 

On to the part 2 of the reunion.  Lil Mo was giving reality television realness, she straight busted Kelly out about not knowing about Fred. She had me yelling "yeeees!" when she said everyone signs a contract before appearing on a show. So Kelly acting like she knew nothing about Fred was shady shit. Loved her stating that they ALL needed the show. Even though Kelly was acting GRAND like she didn't need the show. She was going in on Kelly! I truly believe she was actually holding back and not really going in on her. My heart hurt for Lil Mo and her reaction to Kelly's story. I do think that Kelly needs help healing, it was sweet of her to hug the ladies and tell them how she feels about them. 

Chante seemed over it and I don't blame her, I'm not sure I would really trust anything Kelly says. I was happy to see Chante questioning Kelly and her behavior.

Loved the "Jeffrey Roooole" shout out and Lil Mo implying that Kelly was disrespectful to her husband for yelling for him.

Regarding "straight edge-gate" When the scene was shown I did notice that Kelly was bending over and she only pulled out the Timberlands and vaseline. She was holding an object in her left hand but not sure if it was the razor. I could see how some would believe the "I didn't say that" story from Kelly, however, Lil Mo was very confident when she said she heard Kelly say straight edge and when it comes down to it I would believe Lil Mo before I believe Kelly. 

Fred was great he explained himself and kept it classy, acknowledging all of ladies and didn't try to get involved in the ladies' issues. 

I started to feel bad for Dawn just hearing Lil Mo's description of how scared she is and all of the problems she was having during filming. Lil Mo was exactly right Dawn needed the show more than any of them. 

I hope Kelly is horrified enough by how she looks to get back to working out much more, I get the feeling if she were to get down to the size she was when she first lost weight she would be much happier. It has to be hard working in the industry and seeing so many tiny people around you constantly. 

Loved hearing the ladies singing in different scenes.

How weird was the announcement from Kelly and the ladies not knowing and Michele thinking she was a part of the tour. Chante did indeed keep it cool.

Loved Lil Mo promoting the theme song for the show. I will be purchasing it! It really is the Lil Mo Show. I could tell Wendy really enjoyed her.

Loved the ladies all be in for a season 2 and Lil Mo throwing out for a spin off, I would watch!

All in all part 2 was great!

honybr

honybr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 2:48 PM

I enjoyed part 2 of the reunion.  I'm not sure that I believe that Kelly didn't have weight loss surgery, but I damn sure don't believe that she's a size 16/18.  "You ain't got to lie Craig!"  That behind is in the 20s at least.  I know several people who wear a 16 or 18 and none of them look like that.  

I find it interesting that Claudette barely talked at all in both parts.  If this does come back for season 2 I hope they bring her back but she's the type of person they usually replace.  

I want to be surprised that  Kelly spoke out of turn about the tour, but I'm not.  The look on Lil Mo's face was hilarious.  You could tell she was mad but I loved her saying she was too rachet for the tour because they were urban adult contemporary.  "No shade."  Lol.  I would watch a spin off of her in a second.  I didn't know a thing about her before this show but I enjoyed her the most.  I did laugh of when they showed flashbacks of the talking heads, you can tell when the checks from the show started rolling in.  Lol Mo's weave when from ok to well done.  I ain't mad at her though.

They could have had Fred to his 1 minute talk from Instagram like the blogger.  Oh well, at least we got to see him.

Edited by honybr, Sep 12, 2013 @ 2:49 PM.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

I enjoyed part 2 of the reunion.  I'm not sure that I believe that Kelly didn't have weight loss surgery, but I damn sure don't believe that she's a size 16/18.  "You ain't got to lie Craig!"  That behind is in the 20s at least.  I know several people who wear a 16 or 18 and none of them look like that.  

Amen!!!

Ain't enough Spanx in the world to squeeze them hips into a 16 or 18.   Now she might be able to get away with a 18 TOP.  LOL

I like Michel'le but I think her "crazy" speech is an act.  She's the one that scares me as the one to cut ya while smiling in your face. 

Listening to Chante's new album, so far so good.  Her face when Kelly made her announcement tho...SMH

What makes her announcement extra lame was the people she named like Brownstone who shouldn't be on tour AT ALL...unless it's a tour of karaoke joints.  Then tried to play it off as the "promoters" fault for the selection of people. 

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

No shade towns Kelly, but I can't fit size 16/18 and I look nowhere near as big as her. I will however grant that her pear shape could make her look bigger than she is.

I couldn't love Lil' Mo more if I tried.

I am not surprised by the abuse story from Michel'le. I for one have not forgotten his bet own if Dee Barnes.

Hopefully if there is a season two there will be no Dawn and no Kelly.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 1:08 PM

Who is sewing those vanity tags onto Kelly's clothes? 

Lois Sandborne

Lois Sandborne

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 1:35 PM

I'm not sure that I believe that Kelly didn't have weight loss surgery, but I damn sure don't believe that she's a size 16/18. "You ain't got to lie Craig!"

I'm sure I don't believe she didn't have weight loss surgery, nor do I believe she didn't have nose loss surgery.  I'm surprised Wendy didn't press her on that.

Poetist

Poetist

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 3:06 AM

I'm wondering how much trouble Michelle is gonna be in for outing Dre as an abuser all these years later. And Wendy and her messy ass! I love her!

As Michele said, it was made public, so it's not like it's a secret. It's just that time goes on and people forget things. Heck, Dr. Dre was not discrete in his thuggishness.

Case in point:

I for one have not forgotten his bet own if Dee Barnes.

There is photographic/video proof of him cornering Dee Barnes into a corner. She was just interviewing his butt. One can only imagine somoene living with his for nine years.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

TVOne is apparently airing the full Divalogues on October 5th.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 10:51 PM

Oh my...the full show?

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 11:11 PM

It appears to be the whole show

http://www.tvone.tv/...s-special-.html

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

I really enjoyed the Divalogues.  It wasn't quite like being there in person, but I do understand that it still needed to be edited for a television format.  I so hope they were serious about taking it on the road and if so, I really hope they come to my town.  I will be first in line for a ticket!

Was I the only one who watched the Divalogues?  Anybody here?  Anybody?  Bueller....Bueller....?   

crickets  >  

Edited by swankie, Oct 9, 2013 @ 8:28 AM.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

I saw the Divalogues. However, I only got to see it because the show is still DVR programmed to show new episodes. There was literally no promo that I saw.

I actually came to post that I just watched a first season episode of RuPaul's Drag Race (the one with Michelle Williams from Destiny's Child) and the comment towards the clearly self-serving, hot mess contestant in a group lip synch competition was that, "You reminded me of Dawn Robinson of En Vogue (to which Ru and the rest of the panel were like Damn!) and that is not a good thing!" So it seems that Dawn's less than stellar reputation has been very well known for many a year.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

Yes, that was renowned choreographer Frank Gatson. He's worked with the best of the best so for him to blast Dawn publicly like that, she must've been a real piece of work.

phinomenon

phinomenon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 14, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

Favorite exchange on the reunion:

Lil' Mo:  Don't come in here ack'n grand!  Some people was coming ack'n grand!  And it wasn't even that serious!

Wendy Williams:  Who was grand?

LM:  Who you think?

WW:  Kelly?

LM:  "How you doin'?"    

I had to keep rewinding that part.  Lil' Mo had me cracking up the entire season of the show.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2013 @ 12:39 PM

Look who's coming to Philly:  http://oldschool1003...-live-nov-29th/

Thoughts? 

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

Whoops! I can't say that I was surprised, though... http://www.funkydine...-its-cancelled/

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:09 AM

Yesterday I watched all eight episodes, plus the entire reunion.  I'd seen some of the episodes, but I didn't stick with the show when it was on.  It was, interesting.

I thought Kelly was wrong for the way she acted, but I do have a feeling there was some producer manipulation and maybe Kelly took it too far.  To me, Kelly comes across very diva-ish and entitled.  But I am sure it must piss her off to see some of these singers today, many of whom can't sing without the help of auto tune, making millions of dollars with clothing lines, perfume lines, make up lines, etc.  

I'm an old lady, I grew up in the 60's and 70's and back then you heard a song on the radio and you bought it before you even knew what the artist looked like, in fact I never saw what an artist looked like unless I saw them on Soul Train, American Bandstand or Midnight Special, but by then, I was already invested in the music, so I didn't care what they looked like.  IMO this changed tremendously when MTV began; I can remember seeing something on the news about MTV in 1983 where they were saying that people were buying music because of the videos.  I think a lot of artists, who didn't have the right "look" got screwed (Stephanie Mills comes to mind), especially that MTV didn't air videos by black artists until CBS records (I believe) threatened them with pulling all their artists off the channel if they didn't play Michael Jackson's videos and the rest is history.

To me, the only one that I think has a chance of making into the mainstream is Claudette, she's tall, thin, beautiful, has nice hair and has a look that is very profitable today.  The others can be successful but probably not mainstream.  I thought Claudette was very smart when she said she was trying to get acting roles.  

I don't know what the deal was with Dawn, but I always think of Cindy when I think of "En Vogue" so maybe that's something.  I felt Dawn was like a scared little bird and I too wondered why she didn't come to the reunion.  I also thought Wendy Williams did a good job, I remembered when she interviewed Suge Knight and she was so scared I thought she was going to pee in her pants.  

Back to Dawn, I felt for her wanting to have a child, but at some point you have to make peace with the fact that you're not going to be a mother and that's okay.  Not everybody gets what they want in life, life isn't fair, or at least fair in our eyes.  I don't think Dawn could handle being a mother, she's too scared of her own shadow.  What would Dawn do if she had a special needs child?  Nothing wrong at all with having a special needs child, but at Dawn's age and with her personality?  I can't see it.  Dawn should realize that maybe her not having a child was a blessing in disguise.  

Edited by EndoKE, Dec 15, 2013 @ 8:45 AM.

Xerographic

Xerographic

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

Chrisette Michele and Leela James have been added to the cast for the second season, which begins production this month. As noted earlier, Dawn Robinson and Kelly Price aren't returning.

TV One Launches Production on "R&B Divas LA" Season Two - Announces Two New Divas

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

I guess Kelly's booked, and/or wants to work on her image.  I guess Dawn was fired because she didn't come to the reunion?  Or did Dawn just follow Kelly?  Maybe Dawn will find another girl group, or maybe she'll have a baby.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 7:05 PM

So with Chrisette and Leela joining LA and Latavia of Destiny's Child and Kameelah Williams of 702 joining Atlanta's cast they seem to be trying for a younger audience. That and I'm wondering if some of the throwback artists have seen what's come of the show in terms of storylines and conflicts and decided that a resurgence in popularity isn't worth it.

There has to be drama in the group and since I more or less like everyone in the LA cast I fear there will be at least one who will change my opinion on in a bad way before the end of Season 2.

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 8:08 PM

There has to be drama in the group and since I more or less like everyone in the LA cast I fear there will be at least one who will change my opinion on in a bad way before the end of Season 2.

This is exactly what I thought when I heard that Chrisette Michelle was going to be part of the cast.  I absolutely love her music, and I am not sure that I want to ruin that if she turns out be another Kelly Price or even Dawn Robinson.

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

Yeah unfortunately there just has to be some drama when it comes to the scripted shows.   I admit I am curious about Latavia since she's the lost member of Destiny's Child.   Will be interesting to hear her tales so may have to tune in to the Atlanta show.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

Somehow I missed this news from November about Lil Mo's ex-husband and father of her daughters being busted for growing marijuana in his yard. Police seized 158 marijuana plants and 318 grams of MJ

http://www.wbaltv.co...qd/-/index.html

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

It looks like filming is under way.

Photo (Leela James is second from the left)

Addicted2Real

Addicted2Real

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 12:06 AM

I finally caught up on all of the episodes as well as the reunions. I must say I like L.A.'s season a lot better than Atlanta. The Nikki and Syleena storyline was annoying as hell. I didn't realize that Nikki and Faith were the executive producers of the show. Which is why Atlanta was all about Nikki at times. I felt like we were watching her show rather than Divas with an S.

Miche'le: I thought she was ok. I like her singing voice.

Kelly Price: Lawd that woman is insufferable! And please miss me with that "bad editing" bull shit. There is so much editing can do. It's either her way or no way. She either wants you to willing follow her lead or she'll bully you into it. Her performance was whack as hell! I'm surprised that this woman of God was such an angry bird!! I like how the other women other than Dawn stood their ground with her. I found her to be very disrespectful at times especially with the producer Fred Thomas. He held his own professionally only because, he wants longevity in his career and reality TV is only about 15 minutes if you can cash in that long.

Dawn: Is she perpetrating something that she really isn't? Funny how all of the rumors about her career ending with other groups was based on her bad attitude. Now we see a so called timid, passive person. Was this damage control to evoke sympathy? I feel sorry for her in regards to wanting to be a mother but there are options such as adoption. By the way the tour is random. Who the hell wants to see Brownstone?? Did any catch their performance on the second season of R&B Divas at that dreadful fashion show?

Why wasn't Claudette, Michel'e and Lil Mo not asked to tour??

Claudette: I thought her performance in the show was powerful and moving! She did an excellent job and I admire her courage to come forward and tell her story. She seems like she's been through so much and you can definitely see it in her eyes. I wish her and her children the best.

Chante: She is an EXCELLENT performer! Never knew she had it in her. Loved how she didn't bow down to Kelly. Everyone's been through something had Kelly of listened she would've known this. There is never an excuse to behave the way she did regardless of what she's been through.

Lil Mo: She is extra but that's her personality and I like it. She's passionate but because of that it sometimes becomes too much for people who don't understand this.

Overall the Monologues should be taken on the road! It was a great performance from all of them. Fred Thomas Jr. did an excellent job.

Wendy Williams should host all reunions of every damn show! She asked all of the questions and was raw and gritty!